Author Topic: frontside flip  (Read 1088 times)

sacking rails

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
frontside flip
« on: October 03, 2022, 01:07:56 PM »
i cant land these help please. do you flick late? what is the secret??

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
Re: frontside flip
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 01:14:29 PM »
It took me a long ass time to really get comfortable with them and do them properly.

I flick a tad late. Front foot further back than for a kickflip. Back foot in middle of the board, maybe slightly over to toe side like a tre flip or bigspin, so that when you pop you can tilt the board towards the heelflip direction and your flicking foot will catch easier. I try really hard to flick down and keep my front knee from going too high, and aim for the side of the board instead of off the nose. And once you pop you want to shift your weight to be over your front foot as that is the fulcrum of the rest of the rotation. Might also help to scoop the board frontside a tad when you pop, maybe maybe not.

Learning kickflip noseslides really helped too haha.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 01:30:20 PM by tzhangdox »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1923
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 07:53:01 PM »
It took me a long ass time to really get comfortable with them and do them properly.

I flick a tad late. Front foot further back than for a kickflip. Back foot in middle of the board, maybe slightly over to toe side like a tre flip or bigspin, so that when you pop you can tilt the board towards the heelflip direction and your flicking foot will catch easier. I try really hard to flick down and keep my front knee from going too high, and aim for the side of the board instead of off the nose. And once you pop you want to shift your weight to be over your front foot as that is the fulcrum of the rest of the rotation. Might also help to scoop the board frontside a tad when you pop, maybe maybe not.

Learning kickflip noseslides really helped too haha.

Fucking show-off  ::) (JK)

Can you hardflip @sacking rails? If you can the motion of a FS Flip is very similar, just rotate your shoulders and lower torso and you'll be Muska-ing them in no time.

If you can't then back to the drawing board. Here are 3 things I focus on:
1) back foot - slight scoop of the tail, slight FS Shuv position to help the board rotation, too much and you'll end up with an Illusion flip
2) shoulders - parallel with the rails of the deck but you'll need to open them up and lead the rotation as you pop, that will help you get your body rotated and caught up with the deck underfoot
3) front foot - a little further behind your kickflip placement so it has space to slide up and rotate the FS 180, flick off the side of the nose just above where the nose kicks upwards (like @tzhangdox said), definitely not straight off the nose like a kickflip, the flick of the toe is there to give enough of a nudge to get the flip, dont flick down unless you want a FS double flip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQH4r035NIw

Similar to most 180 flip tricks, its about loading pressure at the right spots of your board and releasing the tension under your board at the right time. So experiment with a few front / back foot positions. Reynolds has his front foot way flat and covering most of the board (could be because he's riding a 7.75"), but compensates with his back foot in an exaggerated FS shove position.

Getting a solid scrape of your tail helps too, like he demonstrates at 0:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j7lk5RULf8
Ben Degros has his front foot behind the bolts and back foot in a slight scooping position, so experiment with both front and back feet.
3:50 - scooping kickflip that you move you front foot out of the way and bring back to catch.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1287
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 02:28:46 PM »
For a long time I had the flick and scoop pretty good but couldn't get the full 180 or close to it. I learned to wind up and pop mid unwind. It whipped the board around and I even stayed over it better. I suggest that if you are constantly doing 90 flips. The momentum you gain with the unwind will even make it easier to pivot it if you don't make it all the way around.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2022, 01:21:14 AM »
I’ve always struggled with them, a friend of mine who is really good on fs flips told me to lean back a little when I pop. I land on my nose eay too much but atleast I can do em now

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2022, 02:15:40 AM »
I've been doing those again for the past couple of years or so on the occasion, after maybe a decade of mostly doing switch ones which are ten times easier (and also arguably easier than switch flip) but otherwise completely neglecting the normal ones. Back foot placement and focusing on the toes on your back foot on the pop already does a lot, pressure on the inside edge of the board there will ensure that it sticks to your front foot in just the right position (similarly to a 360 flip) and from that point on after you've jumped, unwinding your shoulders like you would for a frontside ollie you can just flick out. I do the horizontal, flat-looking hardflips and my technique for regular frontside flips is similar (which means those usually look weird, but I like it), maybe a bit mobbed as it really feels like my foot flicks off to the side on both tricks (at least it's not down). I don't have that funny style going on with the switch ones and so I think the difference comes down to my lower body trying to adjust to how open my shoulders are on my approach for each. Leaning back also is a good tip, I know I do that on both regular frontside flips and hardflips and then pop in a way that sort of sends the board ahead of me, and then I catch up.

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 05:09:35 AM »
I've been doing those again for the past couple of years or so on the occasion, after maybe a decade of mostly doing switch ones which are ten times easier (and also arguably easier than switch flip) but otherwise completely neglecting the normal ones. Back foot placement and focusing on the toes on your back foot on the pop already does a lot, pressure on the inside edge of the board there will ensure that it sticks to your front foot in just the right position (similarly to a 360 flip) and from that point on after you've jumped, unwinding your shoulders like you would for a frontside ollie you can just flick out. I do the horizontal, flat-looking hardflips and my technique for regular frontside flips is similar (which means those usually look weird, but I like it), maybe a bit mobbed as it really feels like my foot flicks off to the side on both tricks (at least it's not down). I don't have that funny style going on with the switch ones and so I think the difference comes down to my lower body trying to adjust to how open my shoulders are on my approach for each. Leaning back also is a good tip, I know I do that on both regular frontside flips and hardflips and then pop in a way that sort of sends the board ahead of me, and then I catch up.
thanks dude super helpful

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1287
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 09:48:00 AM »