Author Topic: Backside Ollies over stuff  (Read 1325 times)

NG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 17
Backside Ollies over stuff
« on: October 26, 2020, 02:01:19 AM »
Ok this is a frustration of mine. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to backside 180 over anything taller than a curb. I am most definitely a scooper and the only times I've been able to get over like a flatbar has been a goofy Ollie and pivot really late.

I try to imagine myself as Chris Pfanner but no dice. Any thoughts?

Beeker

• Rep: 41
Re: Backside Ollies over stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 07:04:09 AM »
I would come at stuff at an angle to make it way less intimidating because you can still kinda scoop at first, then just build up the height and come straighter as you gain confidence. As you start getting higher than a curb I'd like to think it will force you to do a better pop and drag, but you may have to consciously work it out. Just a thought, I don't have real high back 180's but that's how I got them better over stuff.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 04:23:44 PM »
Love the scooped bs 180 on flat ground. Just do a bs 180 slide but tap your tail while you are going into it. So much fun.

For BS 180 over stuff I learned over milk crates. You could start with one if you want to 180 with the middle of the board passing over the middle of the crate.

Going over the object is a two part motion. The first part is ollieing high enough to pass over the object at a 90 degree angle. When you Ollie turn your back and Ollie your front foot sideways.

With enough timing and force you should be floating sideways over the object.

Once you clear the object drop your front foot down and push your back foot around.

At first you will land at 90 degrees and either stop and slip out or slide the remainder of the 90 degrees.

If you come at an angle you should be facing the object you want to 180. In this case you will get your front wheels over quickly but will need to whip your tail around faster.

Here is a clip of me bs ollieing over a chasm:

« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 04:41:45 PM by GardenSkater77 »

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 01:24:57 AM »
Same problem. Ive decided to learn to tweak mine and get good heigh before if fucmyself up doing backides over a bottle  :P

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 09:56:21 PM »
I'm by no means an expert, but my two cents/what works for me is initially focusing on the pop/ollie aspect while sort of pre-tensioning my legs to slightly provide some backside English (if that makes any sense?). Then after I've popped I rotate my shoulders to bring around my legs. This has helped me avoid the scoop/scrape backside 180.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

NG

• Rep: 17
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 06:19:40 AM »
I would come at stuff at an angle to make it way less intimidating because you can still kinda scoop at first, then just build up the height and come straighter as you gain confidence. As you start getting higher than a curb I'd like to think it will force you to do a better pop and drag, but you may have to consciously work it out. Just a thought, I don't have real high back 180's but that's how I got them better over stuff.

I don't know why this didn't click before but after trying this out and coming at a slight angle I totally figured the pop out! I realized I'd even been leaning a bit on my heels while coming at the obstacle straight on-no go.

Thanks yall! Loving the helpful hints

Adriii

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 09:24:57 PM »
first just focus on ollieling higher than the obstacle and turning your shoulders, after covering the obstacle complete the 180.