Author Topic: The role of rules and judgement in skateboarding.  (Read 3197 times)

IpathCats

The role of rules and judgement in skateboarding.
« on: October 26, 2020, 07:30:15 AM »
I hate it when people say "there are no rules in skateboarding". There are definitely rules, or at the very least definitions and standards the tricks are held to. You can't tail drag a manny, you can't step off the board immediately after a trick. I also understand that style is subjective, and everyone likes different things in skateboarding, so opinions on who does what the best can vary. Some constants remain though pretty much  no matter what, speed, pop, movement of the board (mobbed kickflip), and having a confident landing. And then there's the etiquette side of things too, spending money at real shops, don't wax if you're not a local, wax your board instead, look around before taking your run, try not to snake, bring beer to the diy, give props, and try to stay out of people's way if their filming. I'm stoked that more people and more people from different backgrounds are skating now more than ever, I just don't want them all to be kooks. Am I alone in thinking this? Is this way of thinking outdated? Am I just a hater? Are Todd falcon and Rodney Mullen in the same league?

honey island

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
Re: The role of rules and judgement in skateboarding.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 07:34:58 AM »
yeah look i'm not gonna read all that, so here's a cop that looks like nik stain instead

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 07:39:54 AM »
I feel that any rules tied to the actual act of skateboarding are mostly arbitrary and could be subject to debate such as what tricks are respected as “real tricks” and what tricks may be considered “illegal”.

As far as having park/spot etiquette, I think that has less to do with the “rules of skateboarding” and more to do with not being an unaware dumbass in general. Unfortunately skateboarding does seem to be overrun with these unaware dumbasses lately. Sometimes going to a skatepark in 2020 brings out the absolute worst in me.

IpathCats

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 07:49:16 AM »
I feel that any rules tied to the actual act of skateboarding are mostly arbitrary and could be subject to debate such as what tricks are respected as “real tricks” and what tricks may be considered “illegal”.

As far as having park/spot etiquette, I think that has less to do with the “rules of skateboarding” and more to do with not being an unaware dumbass in general. Unfortunately skateboarding does seem to be overrun with these unaware dumbasses lately. Sometimes going to a skatepark in 2020 brings out the absolute worst in me.

Lol @ "illegal" tricks. Personally I'm not that black and white about it, you can do whatever trick you want. Just don't expect me to be as stoked on your flatground bonelesses as I am a properly executed fs flip. Some of the not being a dumbass stuff is unique to skateboarding, that's why I mentioned it. You're definitely right about the feelings one can have while going to a skatepark in 2020. I was a kook at first too, but damn at least I listened to the older dudes when they yelled at me.
Edit: grammar

EastKremer

• Rep: -63
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 07:52:19 AM »
Yes

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 08:10:44 AM »
When people say no rules, they mean they can skate however they want. You don't have to run past 1st, 2nd and 3rd base before reaching home. In skateboarding, I'll fucking run home anytime if I want. Especially if the local park rat is being a bully to me.

IpathCats

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 08:20:32 AM »
When people say no rules, they mean they can skate however they want. You don't have to run past 1st, 2nd and 3rd base before reaching home. In skateboarding, I'll fucking run home anytime if I want. Especially if the local park rat is being a bully to me.

I get that, but just because I stretch as soon as I get to the park instead of the 7th inning, doesn't make a mobbed double heelflip any less sickening.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 95
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 09:26:20 AM »
skate, have fun, dont be a dick, dont litter and youre good.

landing anything with a smile is cool in my books

Double Thick Filbert

• Rep: -56
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 09:45:48 AM »
The judgement is an essential part of advancing and sustaining the culture.

With out it, people like jeffwonsong would be on the Thrasher cover and the culture would slowly die, much like blading did.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 09:50:24 AM »

With out it, people like jeffwonsong would be on the Thrasher cover and the culture would slowly die, much like blading did.
Blading died because people were gatekeeping dicks.

Pretty Serious

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 09:52:26 AM »

S-S-S-S-K-K-K-K-A-A-A-A-T-T-T-T-E-E-E-E
Skate! Board!
We can skate if we want to.
We can leave your friends behind.
Cause' your friends don't skate,
and if they don't skate, well they're
no friends of mine.
I say, we can go where we want to.
A place where they will never find.
And we can act like we come from out of this world!
Leave the real one far behind.
We can skate.
Skate!
We can go when we want to.
Night is young and so am I.
And we can dress real neat
from our hands to our feet
and surprise 'em with a victory cry.
Say, we can act if we want to.
If we don't nobody will.
And you can act real rude,
and totally removed and I can act like an imbecile.
I say, we can skate.
We can skate.
Everything's under control.
We can skate.
We can skate.
We're doin' it from pole to pole.
We can skate.
We can skate.
Everybody look at your hands.
We can skate.
We can skate.
Everybody's takin' the chance.
Skateboard.
Oh well the Skateboard.
Yes, Skateboard.
S-S-S-S-K-K-K-K-A-A-A-A-T-T-T-T-E-E-E-E
Skate, board..
We can skate if we want to.
We've got all your life, and mine.
As long as we abuse it,
Never gonna lose it.
Everything will work out right.
I say, We can skate if we want to.
We can leave your friends behind.
Cause' your friends don't skate,
and if they don't skate, so they're
no friends of mine.
I say, we can skate.
We can skate.
Everything's under control.
We can skate.
We can skate.
We're doin' it from pole to pole.
We can skate.
We can skate.
Everybody look at your hands.
We can skate.
We can skate.
Everybody's takin' the chance.
Oh well the Skateboard.
Oh yes the Skateboard.
Let's Skateboard.
It's the Skateboard.
Well it's the Skateboard!

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 10:12:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

honest question where do people go to like learn how to rollerblade?

Every single rollerblader I see that shows up to the skatepark fucking rips. I don't know if anything they do is like actually super difficult in terms of rollerblading but they always skate fast as fuck grind so far and do like crazy spins and shit in the air without falling. I've never seen like a clearly learning/beginner rollerblader at a park.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 10:16:11 AM »
Agreed on the first two sentences, OP. Past that, it's no rules but toeing the line within context. Even drinking at a public spot, there's times where it's overtly detrimental to the spot as a whole when dudes are acting dumb. Same goes for giving props, context - a stranger, I'm not going to intrude by throwing them off their zen with an unwarranted personality test, they might just be there to enjoy a solo stompy session. I can respect that. If they're friendly and willing to prop/clap tail, there's synergy and reciprocation.

Littering, fake positivity, and control issues annoy me more than some wax or lack thereof. It's a reconciled paradox of how much of an asshole one needs to be to keep the youth in line/preserve the spot and sanctity of skating. If this didn't happen, half the pros would be like Richie Jackson. Can't have an omelette without breaking some eggs.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 10:45:56 AM »
I hate it when people say "there are no rules in skateboarding". There are definitely rules, or at the very least definitions and standards the tricks are held to. You can't tail drag a manny, you can't step off the board immediately after a trick. I also understand that style is subjective, and everyone likes different things in skateboarding, so opinions on who does what the best can vary. Some constants remain though pretty much  no matter what, speed, pop, movement of the board (mobbed kickflip), and having a confident landing. And then there's the etiquette side of things too, spending money at real shops, don't wax if you're not a local, wax your board instead, look around before taking your run, try not to snake, bring beer to the diy, give props, and try to stay out of people's way if their filming. I'm stoked that more people and more people from different backgrounds are skating now more than ever, I just don't want them all to be kooks. Am I alone in thinking this? Is this way of thinking outdated? Am I just a hater? Are Todd falcon and Rodney Mullen in the same league?

“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

IpathCats

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 10:47:25 AM »
There's always some nuance involved when talking about things like this. I don't expect kids to be skating fast and only doing "legal" tricks lol. I was a kid once too, doing stinkbug flyouts at my local, and I'm not gonna fault a kid for doing that. At a certain point though, if you just keep doing that forever, and you're the 30year old dude at the park doing flyouts all day, you're a kook right? Or am I totally missing the mark here? I guess this is where the whole is skateboarding art or a sport conversation stems from. And I guess I'd have to say both, and it's kind of a spectrum that ranges from fancy lad (art) to Shane o'neill/nyjah (sport).

IpathCats

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 10:53:13 AM »
Agreed on the first two sentences, OP. Past that, it's no rules but toeing the line within context. Even drinking at a public spot, there's times where it's overtly detrimental to the spot as a whole when dudes are acting dumb. Same goes for giving props, context - a stranger, I'm not going to intrude by throwing them off their zen with an unwarranted personality test, they might just be there to enjoy a solo stompy session. I can respect that. If they're friendly and willing to prop/clap tail, there's synergy and reciprocation.

Littering, fake positivity, and control issues annoy me more than some wax or lack thereof. It's a reconciled paradox of how much of an asshole one needs to be to keep the youth in line/preserve the spot and sanctity of skating. If this didn't happen, half the pros would be like Richie Jackson. Can't have an omelette without breaking some eggs.

My last post was meant as a reply to this. But also, a-fucking-men on the fake positivity.

skunty

• Rep: 68
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 11:02:12 AM »
you can have rules and judgement in skating, no one can ever stop you from doing that. but also if you expect or want your rules to be how everyone else thinks about it, you're fucked. I mean you can share your views and be a part of the dialogue, and ultimately your skating does the talking, and real recognize real. If the people at your local are hyping something up that you think is wack, fuck it let them be wrong. 

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 11:06:58 AM »
there are rules in skateboarding. 70 percent of skateboarders are bullys. you need to watch what tricks you do or else they wont think you are good and wont say hi to you or even try to have a conversation.
id be lying if id say i would love to hang out with a guy that skate like jason park. hes an idiot.
but also i say hi to everyone except idiots. mostly assholes that are better than me but also cocky.

i also fucking hate when skateboarders say"we see the world diffrently" you ever thought about the architects building those things we skate you idiot?

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 11:07:55 AM »
Can't wait for the weckingdork part to drop.

IpathCats

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 11:17:23 AM »
Can't wait for the weckingdork part to drop.

Always nice to see a shit talker back their shit up.

Merman

• Rep: -40
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2020, 12:38:31 PM »

Everything can basically be distilled down to: share the park and don't overwax.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2020, 12:48:40 PM »
obviously there are rules in skateboarding. otherwise there'd be no rules to break. and then how would we know something's cool if it's not breaking any rules?

IpathCats

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2020, 01:00:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How do you know this?

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2020, 01:08:01 PM »
nah todd falcon is way more core than rodney

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2020, 01:12:36 PM »
there are rules in skateboarding. 70 percent of skateboarders are bullys. you need to watch what tricks you do or else they wont think you are good and wont say hi to you or even try to have a conversation.
id be lying if id say i would love to hang out with a guy that skate like jason park. hes an idiot.
but also i say hi to everyone except idiots. mostly assholes that are better than me but also cocky.

i also fucking hate when skateboarders say"we see the world diffrently" you ever thought about the architects building those things we skate you idiot?

wow, this is the last time im using this site.

Blah blah blah

go fuck yourself everyone

That didn’t take long
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

IpathCats

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2020, 01:14:49 PM »
nah todd falcon is way more core than rodney

In a fucked up way, you're right. Made his own videos, no big sponsors, no real support from anyone, did it all on his own dime. This is a pretty good example of why being core isn't the most important thing. Todd falcon is like a really bad indie band. Technically core, actually terrible. I want some people in the no rules camp to explain why mullen is a legend and falcon is a laughing stock. Because there are clearly rules, and if you skate long enough, you know them. Whether you like or agree with them, they're there.

noninjasinstreetfighter

• Rep: 19
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2020, 01:15:15 PM »
yeah look i'm not gonna read all that, so here's a cop that looks like nik stain instead

And a NBA player who also looks like Nik Stain

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2020, 01:17:44 PM »
the "rules" are for footage, not for fun and there are exceptions to almost everyone

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2020, 01:18:21 PM »

would you just take it easy, man?

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2020, 01:19:31 PM »
There's always some nuance involved when talking about things like this. I don't expect kids to be skating fast and only doing "legal" tricks lol. I was a kid once too, doing stinkbug flyouts at my local, and I'm not gonna fault a kid for doing that. At a certain point though, if you just keep doing that forever, and you're the 30year old dude at the park doing flyouts all day, you're a kook right? Or am I totally missing the mark here? I guess this is where the whole is skateboarding art or a sport conversation stems from. And I guess I'd have to say both, and it's kind of a spectrum that ranges from fancy lad (art) to Shane o'neill/nyjah (sport).
I mean, "it is what it is" so people just skate how they do and fall somewhere within that range, regardless of what they're doing. Unless it's strictly for transportation, which always just means the same as a longboard - never had the discipline to pop/flip their board.

If he's having fun and not being a dickhead, what's so horrible about him skating the way he does (unless he's "sponsored" and has a huge ego?). I was watching a dude with grey hair do some flyouts. It was okay. If we're talking about judgement, there's way worse shit in skating - at least he's not Collin Provost putting out consecutive boring parts.

skunty and fs180 are right, despite there being a fundamental need for regulation, a lot skaters in general are vain bullies in that snarky way. Dudes are getting sweaty and doing athletic shit, even if they skate artfully. People don't like each other. Pointless pride on the line. Attachment to territory and its history through interaction and delusional entitlement at times. Add surf jock mentality to the mix from root and it does make sense. Things that make sense aren't always so nice I guess, skating being one of them. Or something like that. Sorry for ranting.