Author Topic: How to make DaVinci Resolve work with HPX170 and not compress to 4:3??  (Read 76 times)

FrigidSofa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -9
I have an HPX170 with P2 Cards.  With P2 cards you can't just browse to an .mp4 via USB or SD like you can with a lot of modern cards.

Historically I had a sus copy of Premiere Pro, but it was a bitch to maintain with the updates they pushed on me and it didn't include Adobe Media Encoder. The workflow I had was to P2 (media browse) my CONTENTS folder upon P2 offload, drop it into a timeline and then export my clips one by one and drop them in a folder to be used in a new project/timeline down the line.  This was super tedious, especially without bulk exporting with AME.

Eventually I heard that DaVinci Resolve was the tits and free.  I downloaded it, and made a few edits, and love working with it because a bulk renderer/exporter is built in, among other things.  But I noticed recently that it does this weird thing with HPX170 .MXF files where when you import it compresses them and squishes them down to a weird kind of 4:3 with less visual detail/fidelity. 

Forum Link Here describing it - https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=108293&p=625832

I can kinda get around it by adjusting the "Clip Attributes" to NTSC 16:9, but it still has a significant loss of detail.

So now I'm back to the drawing board.
  • I want to actually own software and not have anxiety whenever I'm not actively using it and getting charged for it, so Adobe seems out of the question, unless someone can offer me a surefire way to get a less sus copy rolling again.

DaVinci issue seems unresolvable

Windows Movie Maker can't P2 Browse

Final Cut Pro is Mac Only

iMovie is Mac only

Shotcut is super tedious

Should I try Filmora, is this crazy?

Should I try and purchase an old P2 export device - where can I even get one?

maybe I should just film on my HPX170 in 1080i 30 instead of 720p 60p?
As someone who has an undergraduate degree in Kookonometrics, a graduate degree in Discrete Kookology, and a PhD in Kookospace Engineering...

OwlGreen

• Rep: -123
If the HPX170 is like the HVX200, it uses something called thin-raster whereby it records 720p not at 1280x720 but rather at 960x720. So the recorded pixels are not square, they have an aspect ratio of 1.33:1 (incidentally 4:3). Try setting the Pixel Aspect ratio in Clip Attributes to 1.33. Might do the trick.

bataaard

• Rep: 42
If the HPX170 is like the HVX200, it uses something called thin-raster whereby it records 720p not at 1280x720 but rather at 960x720. So the recorded pixels are not square, they have an aspect ratio of 1.33:1 (incidentally 4:3). Try setting the Pixel Aspect ratio in Clip Attributes to 1.33. Might do the trick.

this.

step by step:
import your clips from the card
- select them all
- right click, clip attributes
- change the pixel aspect ratio to 1,33
- in the audio tab, you can delete all the tracks except one, and make it stereo with embedded channel 1 and 2
- then you can make a timeline (ctrl+N)
- don't use project settings for the timeline
- make it 1280x720 59,94fps
- drop all your clips in
- get to the export tab
- select render individual clips
- in the "file" tab, name your files and don't forget to tick "use unique filenames"
- for the codec, you can choose quicktime, dnxhd, 720p 220/185/110/90 8bits

if you want to bulk rename the files afterwards, a nice little software on pc called and renamer is good for that