Author Topic: Adidas Closing Shop Accounts  (Read 22602 times)

snowballz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -12
Re: Adidas Closing Shop Accounts
« Reply #300 on: October 31, 2020, 01:09:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Maybe because I just can grasp what you’re trying to say friend. It’s ok, but you did try to come at my character and now you’re trying to make it seem like you’re just trying to shoot the shit. Every response you youve made has been mostly incoherent and doesn’t really bring much to the conversation at hand. But I do respect your opinion hence why I’ve read every single word you’ve written. Ive never said that skaters shouldn’t start businesses or that they should blindly follow “catchphrases”. I’ve actually been saying the exact opposite of that so again I’m not sure what you’re trying to say. At the end of the day you, the individual is what matters the most. If there is anything anyone can take away from what I written in this god forsaken thread is that the individual and their sovereignty is the most important thing in, dare I say, THE WORLD! Now go out there and be you!  ;D
[close]

Again asking open questions on a forum isn't coming at someone's character, and again you're distorting my words like I'm talking specifically about you and questioning your personal logic when I honestly don't care and am trying to speak in general. Bit on the catchphrases even had a disclaimer originally that I ended up deleting as I thought you wouldn't need it. I'm not even trying to argue with you personally, it's just a calm discussion (albeit lengthy), not a boxing ring.

Although I will say I love it when you say my responses have been incoherent when I've been stating cold hard facts you just don't like hearing or just hadn't heard of before regarding some specific practices from the big names and you've been carefully dancing around every one of them to instead bring up the big great concept of individuality every time like that's a magic spell. To be honest in general I really don't like it when such big great concepts become a marketing tool, and illusory freedom and happiness is exactly what most merchants in the world rely on, even when what they're pushing is something purely material and occasionally stupid like shoes. In the end I still don't know what you think about that impact on the culture I was just describing (if you even care) and about all the more sincere, smaller personal enterprises being killed and people losing jobs.

Now there's one thing I have to specify (I have on here before but you most likely never saw it), it's that living in the past praising outdated social and industrial models generally sucks (which is why I make it a point not to think in boxes and instead try and remain critical of singular facts no matter where they originate from), and in reality those corporations also currently provide jobs to countless skateboarders who genuinely believe in the strength of what it is they're doing, and really more power to those guys sweating it hard for what they think is skateboarding when it's really just for their employer (a dichotomy many feel on the daily, trust me), it's a filter on the people's voices to begin with and then a constant hassle to have to align with the direction of a select few entities in order to even have a chance of making any money from skating that way. It's like having a passion for pizza and somehow aspiring to work at Domino's only to be told to wear a uniform and cut your hair.

Also, the doctor you're referring to I actually had to visit several times upon developing bursitis in both feet from skating a bunch of Adidas shoes in a row that were mere cardboard years ago, and tendinitis again in both feet from skating Sk8-Hi's (what a scam of a product), so I actually get you on how most so-called skate shoes are in fact atrocious for the body, I just never got that from State and that has nothing to do with whether they're skater-owned. Different experiences are real.

Honestly it pains me a little to see you take every observation and turn of this conversation with me as a personal challenge. I actually appreciate you taking time out of your day to discuss all kinds of things skating on here, I always wish this place had more actual skate talk and less gossip. But coming on a public forum, by definition you have to be prepared for people to challenge your vision the same way you seem excited challenge theirs, it's the nature of the place (and a precious opportunity) to expose you to different opinions and in the end, always a good reminder that everyone shits with their pants down regardless of their experience in the field and that no one owns the truth. Joining a message board expecting a one-way act is delusional.
[close]
You’re points are obvious and more about how I present my ideas and how my personality comes across on the screen. It’s has little to do with the thoughts I’ve took the time to entertain you with. Because you are right, this forum has been a joke lately. I love skateboarding to my core. I don’t wanna get too deep into that kind of stuff because I hate when people try to use those emotions as a tool. But at the end of the day I’m going to skate no matter who’s getting paid, No matter who owns who, or blah blah blah. I will still be skating. Use whatever tools you see fit to continue skating because that is what matters most. At least me it is, and if you don’t think that makes any sense then that’s ok. I’m completely open to new ideas but when what you’re saying strengthens and even sometimes align with what has already been said I have to wonder what are you really taking about then? Because you haven’t added anything that isn’t already implied. Trust me when I say I truly speak from experience. There are way more skaters who don’t work for skate company’s than do and vice versa. And you know what, it doesn’t matter because at the end of the day when it’s time to let someone go it doesn’t matter if you skate. because the system we live is not set up for us to succeed. You have to look out and be aware of what benefits you.Because if you haven’t noticed we don’t have control over much. And if what benefits you is riding X brand then do so without having to worry about what people think of it. I think you are taking it personally if anything my friend because again idk who I’m even typing to. And not just cause of obvious reason but because I am answering this questions without even reading who is sending them. I’m just responding so idk if you have read every single post I’ve made in this thread but I assure you that I have read and responded to everyone with no offense taken by whoever is responding to me. I mentioned the “ attack on my character” because it’s a common thing people do when presented with logic they don’t understand. To have thought that when I said these skater owned companies just want our money meant that some kid making a zine shouldn’t be making money off his passion was either willfully ignorant or just grabbing at low hanging fruit. I do not take any other this personally, what I’m saying is if you don’t agree with me at least say something with substance.
[close]

holy shit can you guys PLEASE just shut the fuck up or DM each other or some shit
[close]
Would you like to add to the conversation? This is a forum after all

Exactly. It's a forum. You two hijacked it. Relax

90sDamiano

• Rep: -82
« Reply #301 on: October 31, 2020, 01:15:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Maybe because I just can grasp what you’re trying to say friend. It’s ok, but you did try to come at my character and now you’re trying to make it seem like you’re just trying to shoot the shit. Every response you youve made has been mostly incoherent and doesn’t really bring much to the conversation at hand. But I do respect your opinion hence why I’ve read every single word you’ve written. Ive never said that skaters shouldn’t start businesses or that they should blindly follow “catchphrases”. I’ve actually been saying the exact opposite of that so again I’m not sure what you’re trying to say. At the end of the day you, the individual is what matters the most. If there is anything anyone can take away from what I written in this god forsaken thread is that the individual and their sovereignty is the most important thing in, dare I say, THE WORLD! Now go out there and be you!  ;D
[close]

Again asking open questions on a forum isn't coming at someone's character, and again you're distorting my words like I'm talking specifically about you and questioning your personal logic when I honestly don't care and am trying to speak in general. Bit on the catchphrases even had a disclaimer originally that I ended up deleting as I thought you wouldn't need it. I'm not even trying to argue with you personally, it's just a calm discussion (albeit lengthy), not a boxing ring.

Although I will say I love it when you say my responses have been incoherent when I've been stating cold hard facts you just don't like hearing or just hadn't heard of before regarding some specific practices from the big names and you've been carefully dancing around every one of them to instead bring up the big great concept of individuality every time like that's a magic spell. To be honest in general I really don't like it when such big great concepts become a marketing tool, and illusory freedom and happiness is exactly what most merchants in the world rely on, even when what they're pushing is something purely material and occasionally stupid like shoes. In the end I still don't know what you think about that impact on the culture I was just describing (if you even care) and about all the more sincere, smaller personal enterprises being killed and people losing jobs.

Now there's one thing I have to specify (I have on here before but you most likely never saw it), it's that living in the past praising outdated social and industrial models generally sucks (which is why I make it a point not to think in boxes and instead try and remain critical of singular facts no matter where they originate from), and in reality those corporations also currently provide jobs to countless skateboarders who genuinely believe in the strength of what it is they're doing, and really more power to those guys sweating it hard for what they think is skateboarding when it's really just for their employer (a dichotomy many feel on the daily, trust me), it's a filter on the people's voices to begin with and then a constant hassle to have to align with the direction of a select few entities in order to even have a chance of making any money from skating that way. It's like having a passion for pizza and somehow aspiring to work at Domino's only to be told to wear a uniform and cut your hair.

Also, the doctor you're referring to I actually had to visit several times upon developing bursitis in both feet from skating a bunch of Adidas shoes in a row that were mere cardboard years ago, and tendinitis again in both feet from skating Sk8-Hi's (what a scam of a product), so I actually get you on how most so-called skate shoes are in fact atrocious for the body, I just never got that from State and that has nothing to do with whether they're skater-owned. Different experiences are real.

Honestly it pains me a little to see you take every observation and turn of this conversation with me as a personal challenge. I actually appreciate you taking time out of your day to discuss all kinds of things skating on here, I always wish this place had more actual skate talk and less gossip. But coming on a public forum, by definition you have to be prepared for people to challenge your vision the same way you seem excited challenge theirs, it's the nature of the place (and a precious opportunity) to expose you to different opinions and in the end, always a good reminder that everyone shits with their pants down regardless of their experience in the field and that no one owns the truth. Joining a message board expecting a one-way act is delusional.
[close]
You’re points are obvious and more about how I present my ideas and how my personality comes across on the screen. It’s has little to do with the thoughts I’ve took the time to entertain you with. Because you are right, this forum has been a joke lately. I love skateboarding to my core. I don’t wanna get too deep into that kind of stuff because I hate when people try to use those emotions as a tool. But at the end of the day I’m going to skate no matter who’s getting paid, No matter who owns who, or blah blah blah. I will still be skating. Use whatever tools you see fit to continue skating because that is what matters most. At least me it is, and if you don’t think that makes any sense then that’s ok. I’m completely open to new ideas but when what you’re saying strengthens and even sometimes align with what has already been said I have to wonder what are you really taking about then? Because you haven’t added anything that isn’t already implied. Trust me when I say I truly speak from experience. There are way more skaters who don’t work for skate company’s than do and vice versa. And you know what, it doesn’t matter because at the end of the day when it’s time to let someone go it doesn’t matter if you skate. because the system we live is not set up for us to succeed. You have to look out and be aware of what benefits you.Because if you haven’t noticed we don’t have control over much. And if what benefits you is riding X brand then do so without having to worry about what people think of it. I think you are taking it personally if anything my friend because again idk who I’m even typing to. And not just cause of obvious reason but because I am answering this questions without even reading who is sending them. I’m just responding so idk if you have read every single post I’ve made in this thread but I assure you that I have read and responded to everyone with no offense taken by whoever is responding to me. I mentioned the “ attack on my character” because it’s a common thing people do when presented with logic they don’t understand. To have thought that when I said these skater owned companies just want our money meant that some kid making a zine shouldn’t be making money off his passion was either willfully ignorant or just grabbing at low hanging fruit. I do not take any other this personally, what I’m saying is if you don’t agree with me at least say something with substance.
[close]

holy shit can you guys PLEASE just shut the fuck up or DM each other or some shit
[close]
Would you like to add to the conversation? This is a forum after all
[close]

Exactly. It's a forum. You two hijacked it. Relax
Not hijacked. I am not stopping anyone from posting on this tread, I’m just replying to the multiple people who’ve responded to me. Is that bad?Interesting that you used the word Hijacked, is it because you just don’t like what’s being discussed? What are we hindering you from posting?

90sDamiano

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #303 on: October 31, 2020, 01:34:04 PM »
I have never stated that I benefit from corporations, my point is actual that there is little to no benefit from whoever you choose to support and to use your money to invest in yourself.  If state ended tomorrow all of those riders you and I both admire will end up skating in whatever they seem fit for themselves as individuals. The only reason they even have a team is for marketing purposes. To influence you into buy buying the gear. I personally do not care for most skateboard marketing no matter who owns the company. Most of it comes of as bland or predictable. What excites me and gets me wanting a pair of kicks is looking back at the old skate videos like watching Clyde singleton skate in some Suedes. Or Pete Eldridge in Shell toes. Have you seen that photo of Gino doing a hardflip in Air Force ones? That shit is timeless. That’s why I’ve said that we influence them, because we already adopted their tools and repurposed it as our own, we make them cool. I don’t need adidas skateboarding but I also know where to find quality tools for my skateboarding when I need them. And you should do the same, make your own decisions on what works best for you with out having to enter a debate on which is the right or wrong choice. But to ignore clear difference between quality is still baffling. I can assure you 100% that the owner of whatever skater owned company will tell you that their product is not on par with some of the other competitors that’s been supply the market for decades because of Capitalism, and if this is a critic on Capitalism then we’re gunna be here all day

I'm sorry to hear you're baffled about my experience but if something ignored the difference in quality it was my body, I'm not making it up that I had my feet destroyed by certain Adidas (including several Gonz shoes), the only one I have good memories of is the early Busenitz for Adidas (and honestly I pay so little attention to branding I'm not even sure they were Busenitz's in retrospect), but then again Vans, Huf and Lakai also trashed my feet (as much as I really wanted to get into the last two, that was a long time ago though and I've long given up). In the early to mid 00's I also resented Sole Tech a lot for putting out clearly bullshit product that would not only hurt my feet but also fall apart in three sessions, and then the new competition was useful here as it forced them to step their game back up eventually. To this day I'm not into Sole Tech but their product has gotten a lot better over the past decade or so and I'd definitely skate a pair of éS over a pair of Vans.

I think this whole time I've been reacting to your posts in particular because we seem to have the same disenchanted approach of this whole set-up of an industry after going through certain experiences, except we tackle it from what appears to be a different side, but we're really saying the same shit (also a common trope in the resolution of online conversations). So it was interesting hearing your point of view, now I think our difference lies in that you sound like you've given up more hope in people trying to do things in skateboarding than I did, I know dozens of small company owners who genuinely live through their operation as a passion I'd rather feed than anonymous mouths who won't ever do shit for me or my scene until we open an altar of a store for them.

Also, the reason why they have a team is for marketing purposes, technically that's right, except some entrepreneurs still try and be considerate, coherent and creative in the constitution of said team as part of their whole vision for the direction of their brand, which usually results in more interesting and palatable video outputs than the skate equivalent to ejaculation compilations. Your team is your message to the world and I find it way more uplifting to see State putting out clips essentially promoting urban exploration done exceptionally well and emphasizing on creativity than Nike crash-test dummies playing Evil Knievel for a comfortable living, which won't inspire nearly as much in the new generations of kids but consuming a certain product.

There's also one thing I can't really get behind when you say you dig classic photos and footage where people skated Nikes or Adidas because you'd read some authenticity in that (from what I think I've understood at least), now I love seeing authenticity in skate footage too but this is 2020 and now that footage is being manufactured to bear Nike logos I get the same thrill for seeing people skate in different shit. The form is the same so maybe it evokes some sweet nostalgia in you but the reality is different now that those brands have taken over and essentially rule the industry; the norm and the exception have been switched around. I know I can no longer stand watching a lot of big name skate videos because of the obnoxious amount of big logos on every skater's feet that only screams how every trick in the video was worth this much money. Plus, and again, what I appreciate in those videos is the skateboarding and not the shoes on the person's feet. I get that aesthetics are also part of the message but what I find substantial in a skate video is too pure to have anything to do with any form of branding.

But I do understand your choices and barely ever meant to turn this into a debate, again. Thanks for taking the time to have this sincere discussion.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 01:43:28 PM by silhouette »

90sDamiano

« Reply #304 on: October 31, 2020, 01:58:53 PM »
Expand Quote
I have never stated that I benefit from corporations, my point is actual that there is little to no benefit from whoever you choose to support and to use your money to invest in yourself.  If state ended tomorrow all of those riders you and I both admire will end up skating in whatever they seem fit for themselves as individuals. The only reason they even have a team is for marketing purposes. To influence you into buy buying the gear. I personally do not care for most skateboard marketing no matter who owns the company. Most of it comes of as bland or predictable. What excites me and gets me wanting a pair of kicks is looking back at the old skate videos like watching Clyde singleton skate in some Suedes. Or Pete Eldridge in Shell toes. Have you seen that photo of Gino doing a hardflip in Air Force ones? That shit is timeless. That’s why I’ve said that we influence them, because we already adopted their tools and repurposed it as our own, we make them cool. I don’t need adidas skateboarding but I also know where to find quality tools for my skateboarding when I need them. And you should do the same, make your own decisions on what works best for you with out having to enter a debate on which is the right or wrong choice. But to ignore clear difference between quality is still baffling. I can assure you 100% that the owner of whatever skater owned company will tell you that their product is not on par with some of the other competitors that’s been supply the market for decades because of Capitalism, and if this is a critic on Capitalism then we’re gunna be here all day
[close]

I'm sorry to hear you're baffled about my experience but if something ignored the difference in quality it was my body, I'm not making it up that I had my feet destroyed by certain Adidas (including several Gonz shoes), the only one I have good memories of is the early Busenitz for Adidas (and honestly I pay so little attention to branding I'm not even sure they were Busenitz's in retrospect), but then again Vans, Huf and Lakai also trashed my feet (as much as I really wanted to get into the last two, that was a long time ago though and I've long given up). In the early to mid 00's I also resented Sole Tech a lot for putting out clearly bullshit product that would not only hurt my feet but also fall apart in three sessions, and then the new competition was useful here as it forced them to step their game back up eventually. To this day I'm not into Sole Tech but their product has gotten a lot better over the past decade or so and I'd definitely skate a pair of éS over a pair of Vans.

I think this whole time I've been reacting to your posts in particular because we seem to have the same disenchanted approach of this whole set-up of an industry after going through certain experiences, except we tackle it from what appears to be a different side, but we're really saying the same shit (also a common trope in the resolution of online conversations). So it was interesting hearing your point of view, now I think our difference lies in that you sound like you've given up more hope in people trying to do things in skateboarding than I did, I know dozens of small company owners who genuinely live through their operation as a passion I'd rather feed than anonymous mouths who won't ever do shit for me or my scene until we open an altar of a store for them.

Also, the reason why they have a team is for marketing purposes, technically that's right, except some entrepreneurs still try and be considerate, coherent and creative in the constitution of said team as part of their whole vision for the direction of their brand, which usually results in more interesting and palatable video outputs than the skate equivalent to ejaculation compilations. Your team is your message to the world and I find it way more uplifting to see State putting out clips essentially promoting urban exploration done exceptionally well and emphasizing on creativity than Nike crash-test dummies playing Evil Knievel for a comfortable living, which won't inspire nearly as much in the new generations of kids but consuming a certain product.

There's also one thing I can't really get behind when you say you dig classic photos and footage where people skated Nikes or Adidas because you'd read some authenticity in that (from what I think I've understood at least), now I love seeing authenticity in skate footage too but this is 2020 and now that footage is being manufactured to bear Nike logos I get the same thrill for seeing people skate in different shit. The form is the same so maybe it evokes some sweet nostalgia in you but the reality is different now that those brands have taken over and essentially rule the industry; the norm and the exception have been switched around. I know I can no longer stand watching a lot of big name skate videos because of the obnoxious amount of big logos on every skater's feet that only screams how every trick in the video was worth this much money. Plus, and again, what I appreciate in those videos is the skateboarding and not the shoes on the person's feet. I get that aesthetics are also part of the message but what I find substantial in a skate video is too pure to have anything to do with any form of branding.

But I do understand your choices and barely ever meant to turn this into a debate, again. Thanks for taking the time to have this sincere discussion.
Word you’re right, different peeps have different feets lol
When I mention my nostalgia for the old videos, to me it’s not a promotion of the brand. It’s realizing that you can create your own meaning for things and objects. I don’t think Adidas is sick cause Pepe Martinez. It’s more of, Damn look at what this dude has taken from his surroundings and made it his own. So much so that it inspires me to look at my surroundings differently. It’s similar to graffiti in that aspect, talking ownership of a space and putting your mark on it. I totally agree when it comes to the marketing strategies most of these companies. They are just trying to bootleg the Karma they’ve gotten in the past. They’ve seen how skaters can influence others to do things so they try to replicate it for a buck but it just comes off corny. Skate shoe companies are even more at fault then the corporations when it comes to commodifying skateboarding to sell to the general public imo. Look at Etnies for instance, with their crazy mall shoes that are clearly not targeted to skater but to those who think skating is on trend. But can you blame them? I mean they need to make a buck right? And I also appreciate your thoughts and time.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 07:55:41 AM by 90sDamiano »

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #305 on: November 01, 2020, 04:53:25 PM »
Reading comments above it seems kids today want to click a link in noras story that takes you to an adidas online shop.

I’m sure adidas executives want that as well. It cuts out having to mail to skate shops and they make mor e profit selling direct to customer from
Wholesale price.

Corporations have been farming us for awhile
except shops pay for shipping

Glurmpz

« Reply #306 on: November 01, 2020, 05:11:03 PM »
I never believed the superior quality argument that people tout in regards to brands like Adidas, Nike etc. I’ve had Nike and Converse shoes and they were not any better than any ‘core’ brand shoes I had. In fact, the Converse bagged out instantly and I had to retire them so if anything they were worse than ‘core’ brands. The Nike’s were too floppy out of the box so I only skated them once. There is no Adidas shoe that fits my foot - at least I haven’t found one yet. All far too narrow and no good for my flat foot. I wouldn’t want to wear Adidas anyway so no big loss.

I’m always baffled when I hear people say they had a consistently bad experience with anything Sole Tech because I’ve been skating those shoes for the last decade and they always feel amazing.

The shoes that consistently feel like garbage to me when trying them on in the shop are Vans and NB# (especially NB).