Author Topic: Adidas Closing Shop Accounts  (Read 22581 times)

witty pseudonym

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 43
Re: Adidas Closing Shop Accounts
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2020, 03:53:43 PM »
This shouldn't surprise anyone, it was only a matter of time.  Skateboarding is one of the coolest fucking things on the planet and these companies wanted our credibility and aesthetic.  Once they got it, they no longer need us.  It's a shame we let them in so easily.  Quit buying their shit. 

Idk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2020, 03:57:59 PM »
I've heard it is hard as fuck to get a Vans account.
It takes like a year of being around or something.

FS_Overcrook

• Rep: 10
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2020, 04:11:53 PM »
Expand Quote
I've heard it is hard as fuck to get a Vans account.
[close]
It takes like a year of being around or something.

It can actually take longer depending on the brand/circumstance.

Proximity to a shop that has a current account in good standing, how long the store applying has been open, and if there is approval from corporate/sales manager to open new accounts.

Sometimes there's only 3-4 new accounts allowed to open a year so it becomes more of a liquor license type scenario where its waiting for one existing account to close or not pay their bills long enough to get cancelled.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2020, 05:02:09 PM »
my small colorado mountain town local shop that has had an adidas account since 2010ish I believe, also got the boot. They've always been a supportive shop in the scene here ( they sell non skate related clothing as well , but have a big skate section and carry eS, Emerica, DC as well as NB , very small amount of Nike(no QS's) and Vans

trashparty

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2020, 05:19:22 PM »
Aside from the Busenitz models Adidas is garbage. Nike discontinued the Koston 1 and made dunks unobtainable. They both might as well exit skateboarding because all they offer is hypebeast trash anymore anyways. Shalom.

the 3st.004, Tyshawn's, and Puig's are all great shoes IMO.

i know everyone like to shit on "corporate" shoe companies but adidas has had a skate team for over 20 years. its definitely still wack that they are pulling product from shops to save some $$$ when they definitely would still stay afloat without doing so. in no way am i in support of them doing this, but like mentioned earlier, if you shop goes under because nike/adidas pulls your account, your shop/scene is most likely wack.

tbh im just salty because i love adidas skate team / how the shoes perform

i like cupsouls that arent chunky and adidas absolutely kills that aspect.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:26:46 PM by trashparty »

90sDamiano

• Rep: -82
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2020, 05:24:25 PM »
Don’t ever buy athletic footwear to skate in y’all; as the mighty Lordz once told us: they don’t give a fuck about us.
I don’t think any shoe company really cares about us. “It’s all about da muthafuckin money”

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2020, 05:34:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Aside from the Busenitz models Adidas is garbage. Nike discontinued the Koston 1 and made dunks unobtainable. They both might as well exit skateboarding because all they offer is hypebeast trash anymore anyways. Shalom.
[close]

i know everyone like to shit on "corporate" shoe companies but adidas has had a skate team for over 20 years. its definitely still wack that they are pulling product from shops to save some $$$ when they definitely would still stay afloat without doing so. in no way am i in support of them doing this, but like mentioned earlier, if you shop goes under because nike/adidas pulls your account, your shop/scene is most likely wack.

I think this idea that if your shop goes under because you loose your adidas account then your shop sucks is bull shit. I think you guys have a big misunderstanding as to what kids are buying and what it takes to keep your doors open.

all the kids want is Nike/Adidas/Vans
I need a coffee

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2020, 06:06:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think this idea that if your shop goes under because you loose your adidas account then your shop sucks is bull shit. I think you guys have a big misunderstanding as to what kids are buying and what it takes to keep your doors open.

My local pretty much only carries Vans, Lakai’s, and New Balances.

I’ve never bought a pair of Lakai’s but might soon. I’ve heard the quality isn’t that great, but in all honesty.

I’m old and only skate once a week if I’m lucky. Skate shoes last me for at least a year generally.
I’d rather support a skater owned company even if the quality isn’t top notch.

Why? I don’t know sometimes skaters just do things like that for the principal. To make a statement of what they believe in. 

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2020, 06:11:10 PM »
In my line of work (sales) I do not restrict the sale of my product. If a new account is struggling to make MOQ (minimum order quantity) I pass them along to a reseller who stocks my product and sells lower volumes at a 15% markup.

Is their no such system for buying skate shoes for shops?

If I am Nike/Adidas I don’t want to deal with every low volume skate shop but how hard would it be for them to have a handful of resellers in each country?

I work in manufacturing sales so maybe retail is different but it seems awfully harsh for companies that wouldn’t notice the difference one way or the other.

trashparty

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2020, 06:25:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

im 20yo so you'd probably consider me a kid (which i am)

and youre right, we (my age group) pretty much only buys nike/adi/vans/nb/cons

but can you blame us? all of the dudes my generation fucks with ride for such companies and are supported by such companies. there often the same price or cheaper than "core" shoe companies, the shoes perform significantly better, and also look so much cleaner to our zoomer, low attention span, ADHD tastes. and "core" shoe companies dont produce footage as frequently as vans or nike etc.

you dont see kids my age wearing éS/osiris/etnies for a reason. We think they look fucking stupid, and they dont perform as well as the companies i listed above

We grew up in a era where skateboarding was/is mainstream and cool. not a underground subculture.

i have a lot of respect for companies such as emerica,lakai,és,etc. for paving the way for us, but at the end of the day we all wear what we feel comfortable in. Millenials/Gen Z just so happens to feel comfortable in Nike / Adidas or whatever "corporate" devil worshipping, child laboring companies shoes.

DC is still cool tho. We fuck with DC

i understand most will disagree being that this website is mostly older dudes, but this is just the way i see it. times are changing.

thank you for listening to my TED talk

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2020, 06:49:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

but can you blame us? all of the dudes my generation fucks with ride for such companies and are supported by such companies. there often the same price or cheaper than "core" shoe companies, the shoes perform significantly better, and also look so much cleaner to our zoomer, low attention span, ADHD tastes. and "core" shoe companies dont produce footage as frequently as vans or nike etc.

you dont see kids my age wearing éS/osiris/etnies for a reason. We think they look fucking stupid, and they dont perform as well as the companies i listed above

We grew up in a era where skateboarding was/is mainstream and cool. not a underground subculture.

i have a lot of respect for companies such as emerica,lakai,és,etc. for paving the way for us, but at the end of the day we all wear what we feel comfortable in. Millenials/Gen Z just so happens to feel comfortable in Nike / Adidas or whatever "corporate" devil worshipping, child laboring companies shoes.

i understand most will disagree being that this website is mostly older dudes, but this is just the way i see it. times are changing.

This was always such a bullshit take. Advertising is what makes you think that. Either that or you're someone who works for one of these companies.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2020, 07:25:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This was always such a bullshit take. Advertising is what makes you think that. Either that or you're someone who works for one of these companies.

I agree if you’ve ever skated Vans you know that shit isn’t stronger than any other shoe. I’ve skated a few corpo shoes not one stands as as more durable than a core shoe. Cons uncomfortable got beat vans mediocre and her destroyed fast. 440 was the best (still back the 440) but sole/tread  died before the upper. Not saying these things don’t happen with core company’s but it’s 2020 they all last about the same. You just wanna look like your homies and you bought into the marketing. Own it.

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2020, 07:28:55 PM »

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2020, 07:39:56 PM »
Damn sad, I've enjoyed every single Adidas shoe I've skated (Busenitz, Busenitz Vulc, Matchcourt ADV, Superstar Vulc, Suciu).

trashparty

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2020, 07:50:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I agree if you’ve ever skated Vans you know that shit isn’t stronger than any other shoe. I’ve skated a few corpo shoes not one stands as as more durable than a core shoe. Cons uncomfortable got beat vans mediocre and her destroyed fast. 440 was the best (still back the 440) but sole/tread  died before the upper. Not saying these things don’t happen with core company’s but it’s 2020 they all last about the same. You just wanna look like your homies and you bought into the marketing. Own it.

sure ill own it.

like i said in my earlier post, i think most "core" shoe companies products look stupid. sue me, i like what i like. Most of my generation will tell you the same. in MY experience they didnt perform nearly as well either. not saying all "core" shoes suck, thats just my experience with the products.

ill say it again, the reason Gen Z/Millenial skater fuck with "corporate" shoes is because we think they look better, and we like to dress like the skaters we think are rad. just as you did back in your day. fads/style changes, most "core" companies havent excepted that change yet and are still living in the past

i totally understand the hate for "corporate" shoe companies, but i think a lot of it is just fucking pointless and comes from a stupid place.

these companies arent going anywhere anytime soon. skating is growing and will most likely continue to grow for the foreseeable future.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2020, 07:56:40 PM »
Corporate brands being corporate . Who woulda thunk?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

KBizzle

• Rep: -18
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2020, 08:46:26 PM »
Nike has never cared about skaters. Even look at the current state of their skate shoes. It's virtually impossible to get a pair of Dunks without knowing someone or severely overpaying in 2020.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2020, 08:46:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

sure ill own it.

like i said in my earlier post, i think most "core" shoe companies products look stupid. sue me, i like what i like. Most of my generation will tell you the same. in MY experience they didnt perform nearly as well either. not saying all "core" shoes suck, thats just my experience with the products.

ill say it again, the reason Gen Z/Millenial skater fuck with "corporate" shoes is because we think they look better, and we like to dress like the skaters we think are rad. just as you did back in your day. fads/style changes, most "core" companies havent excepted that change yet and are still living in the past

i totally understand the hate for "corporate" shoe companies, but i think a lot of it is just fucking pointless and comes from a stupid place.

these companies arent going anywhere anytime soon. skating is growing and will most likely continue to grow for the foreseeable future.

That is the most halfwitted argument I’ve ever heard.

Instead of looking towards history, ethics, and basic moral principles to argue your side. You choose to do things in life just because you think it’s cool.

—damnit you got me. That’s why I do most things too. Any hoot, screw Adidas

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2020, 09:24:12 PM »
In my line of work (sales) I do not restrict the sale of my product. If a new account is struggling to make MOQ (minimum order quantity) I pass them along to a reseller who stocks my product and sells lower volumes at a 15% markup.

Is their no such system for buying skate shoes for shops?

If I am Nike/Adidas I don’t want to deal with every low volume skate shop but how hard would it be for them to have a handful of resellers in each country?

I work in manufacturing sales so maybe retail is different but it seems awfully harsh for companies that wouldn’t notice the difference one way or the other.
its rare for distros in the states to resell shoes, if the shop cant make full margin its not worth it. shops usually only make money on clothes and shoes, not hard goods.

in canada this is why all our product costs more. all product goes to a reseller technically. hardgoods see the worst of it.
but its not a great program when a distro gets a shoe brand because chances are they change margins to be 40% mark up instead of keystone. this means shop makes less or charges more so the customer gets fucked.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2020, 11:06:40 PM »
Looks like Adidas is gazelleing out.
ironic because most of my fondest memories of people doing gazelles, were Of people doing them in the three stripes

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2020, 11:29:14 PM »
Idk about anyone else but hearing that one poster saying how he and the younger gen of skaters only skate and wear the big 3 really bummed me out. I'm 27, only 7 years older than that poster but I'm glad I grew up on core brands. I'm not gonna act like I've never tried or worn the corpo brands, but saying that Nike, adidas and sorry but vans who rehash the same shoes and models season after season is better than what most core skate brands put out and have re-reissued is somehow inferior can kick rocks. Wearing what everyone else wears just makes me cringe.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2020, 11:36:36 PM »
Nike has never cared about skaters. Even look at the current state of their skate shoes. It's virtually impossible to get a pair of Dunks without knowing someone or severely overpaying in 2020.

From a supply and demand stance, Nike actually blows it. Completely selling out of a product is not always a great thing. It can mean your prices are too low. 

Consider the fact that when they release a Dunk, it immediately sells out and then hits the re-sale market at higher price. Is it just me or is it crazy to think that a consumer can turn around and make a profit on something they just bought? Shouldn’t Nike be smart enough to figure out how to make that money?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2020, 11:43:58 PM »
Idk about anyone else but hearing that one poster saying how he and the younger gen of skaters only skate and wear the big 3 really bummed me out. I'm 27, only 7 years older than that poster but I'm glad I grew up on core brands. I'm not gonna act like I've never tried or worn the corpo brands, but saying that Nike, adidas and sorry but vans who rehash the same shoes and models season after season is better than what most core skate brands put out and have re-reissued is somehow inferior can kick rocks. Wearing what everyone else wears just makes me cringe.

So depressing. I didn't even want to dignify him with a response.

Genuinely, it made me sad to read that.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

thot juice

• Rep: -54
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2020, 11:45:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

sure ill own it.

plus nike and adidas have made a ton of iconic shoes sometimes that’s a reason ppl like things

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2020, 12:08:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

sure ill own it.

[close]

plus nike and adidas have made a ton of iconic shoes sometimes that’s a reason ppl like things

Louis Vuitton and Starbucks have made really iconic stuff. If they got into the skate game I'd buy all their shit because I'm a trendy jock.

Paulie Gualtieri

• Rep: -10
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2020, 04:11:42 AM »
Most of the legacy core shoe brands are tired and should either be scrapped or hire someone who isn’t suck in 2008 to do their designs
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:20:56 AM by Paulie Gualtieri »

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2020, 04:12:24 AM »
I remember reading this interview with Keith where he said -

"Using the competition as a driving force is important. Skateboard brands need to get more creative and take their business to the next level. There’s some point where it’s either you sit there and complain or you do something about the situation. Yeah, the competition can be difficult, but you have to get up and fight for your piece of the pie. There are always limits, but there are also a million ways to be creative and innovative in order to work around those limits. You can always compete - you just have to find the way that works best for you or your brand. Rather than talk about the situation, you have to make an effort to create the situation. And I feel the underground will always have the advantage. Maybe not in money, but in design and culture and having its ear to the ground."

How many "core" companies have been even somewhat progressive with what they have put out in the last 10 years?

In the same interview, the Sole Tech owner says - "I believe skaters still think for themselves and are not influenced as much as people may assume by marketing" - How head in the sand could you possibly be?

"I am not a judge of what other skaters do. I will never be able to understand their own social and economic reasons for the choices they make. I always stand for skateboarding - dedication, commitment and passion for our culture. There are still pros out there that believe the same way that I do. I am also encouraged and inspired by the amount of great skaters in our community that demonstrate great loyalty to skateboarding. I have to say that I’m not just inspired, I’m humbled by it. I am humbled and honoured when someone who has the same lucrative options presented to them, yet chooses to remain on a team with people who are working hard toward the same goal of progressing skateboarding."

Uh yeah, how about guys like McCrank and TX who turned down offers from these big companies, to stay on eS, only for them to drop the team with out notice?

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/skateboard-footwear-bold-steps-forward/

trashparty

« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2020, 04:23:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

sure ill own it.

[close]

[close]

Louis Vuitton and Starbucks have made really iconic stuff. If they got into the skate game I'd buy all their shit because I'm a trendy jock.

hey man, its ur money not mine. if u wanna look like a trendy jock, you should be completely free to do so. thats why skating is so dope. YOU GET TO PICK UR STYLE. the idea that a skater has to dress a certain way is so fucking out dated. IMO thats  the " trendy jock" shit you speak of. Since when does skating have a fucking uniform? let people wear whatever they want. if Lucien wants to skate Louis V, let him. if Chris Cole wants to wear fallen, let him. you dont have to watch these peoples footage if you dont like it, and you certainly dont have to buy there products.

let the youth wear what they want and be happy for them. at the end of the day its their money not yours. not to mention companies like nike/adi/vans pay there riders amazing salaries. how can you be mad at that. oh no! a company that is paying skaters reasonably and allowing them to live comfortably !!!

also, when will the boomer skaters understand theres a generation gap, and drop the saltiness

like i said earlier. we grew up with skating being mainstream/cool. no one ever bullied us for skating or told us we were fags. if anything its the exact opposite, the skaters r probably the cool kids in school now. this is why companies like nike/adi/vans have come into skating. people r starting to realize just how fucking sweet skating is, and they want a piece of it. whether or not they "care" about skating is subjective. i understand that. but at the end of the day you know what every companies goal is? MONEY. core or not.

im not saying thats a good or bad thing, im just telling you the reality of it, and what my experience has been growing up post 2000

we also grew up with the internet, which allows us to watch whatever we want, whenever we want. and guess which companies have a a larger internet presence? nike/adi/vans/nb/cons

of course mindsets are going to change. the world is a lot different than it was 20+ years ago. we grew up in this shit

idk why this is such a hard concept for people to understand.

if you like wearing "core" skate shoes, good for you ! im happy you've found a product that makes you feel comfortable in your own skin. thats not always easy to do. likewise tho, dont shit on people who wear "corporate" skate shoes. they have there reasons just like you have yours.

im going to continue to wear adidas shoes, as i like to support there skate team which i think consists of great skaters. they also make a product which in my experience has been unparalleled to any other shoe company.

im sure your reason for wearing Lakai/éS/fallen, or whatever the fuck is exactly the same as my reason for wearing adidas.

trashparty

« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2020, 04:41:24 AM »
Most of the legacy core shoe brands are tired and should either be scrapped or hire someone who isn’t suck in 2008 to do their designs

fr seriously. i want all these "core shoe guys", to go to lakais website and tell me with with a straight face they think their designs are modern and updated with the times. you wouldnt catch me dead in anything they make but the carrols. not to mention their team is fucking wack.

https://www.lakai.com/collections/shoes/products/owen-vlk-nico-cream-leather-ms4200232a03
https://www.lakai.com/collections/shoes/products/atlantic-jade-black-suede-ms3200082b00
https://www.lakai.com/collections/all/products/riley-2-vs-honey-suede-ms2200092a00
https://www.lakai.com/collections/shoes/products/evo-millard-multi-print-canvas-ms2200250b03

im not wearing anything endorsed by Nico Hiraga, Riley Hawk, or Stevie Perez.

pacheco, bannerot, and yonnie r cool tho.

not to mention ur paying the same price for a pair of lakais as you would for a pair of nike/adi/vans etc.

MareVitals

• Rep: -39
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2020, 05:43:36 AM »
We all saw this coming and were warned but I think it was almost impossible to avoid. I'm not surprised younger kids only skate big brands. They have the money and as a result their pick of the best skaters. Core companies got caught sleeping. If Huf had to pull the plug on shoes you know it's bad. In an ideal world skaters could change what's in motion and vote with their wallet but I don't see that happening.