Author Topic: need help with shoes, inserts, etc.  (Read 350 times)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
need help with shoes, inserts, etc.
« on: October 29, 2020, 12:17:59 PM »
hey y'all, I haven't bought a pair of skate shoes in the past 5 years and prior to that I rode half cab variations. I've got some bum ass feet that need more than the soles of vans take care of, so what's good these days?

I'm pushing around, doing some heel flips, trying ledges/benches in my day to day New Balance 574 chill shoes. I'm not wicked stoked on the big names and big ticket New Balance in skate world, but are they worth it? What about the eS Quattro? They look solid but maybe too beefy. What's a good balance between board feel/longevity/protection?

Also, the kid at the shop was telling me about inserts designed by some skate company. Anyone have experience or thoughts?

good lookin out
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Peepeeboy69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
Re: need help with shoes, inserts, etc.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 01:31:26 PM »
ive had good luck with the etnies maranas. They last forever, have good impact protection (lacking boardfeel at first if you care but once they break in they're great), real good grip on the board too. Also they fit my wider feet.

Yu Dum

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 01:47:19 PM »
If you really want to skate whatever type of shoe you want without sacrificing board feel then I recommend getting some FP insoles. Not the shoes, those are wack as fuck.
I've had my FP gamechangers since August and they've given my feet new life that I thought I'd lost.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 03:25:28 PM »
If you really want to skate whatever type of shoe you want without sacrificing board feel then I recommend getting some FP insoles. Not the shoes, those are wack as fuck.
I've had my FP gamechangers since August and they've given my feet new life that I thought I'd lost.

dope. thank you.

what's your foot structure like? high arch, low arch, flat? I'm curious because I've done a lot of specialized foot work in the past couple years, like taken workshops and trainings about how to retrain walking/running, strengthening arches, how to properly stand without shifting weight or pronating, and strengthening the whole foot. It's been great and still, certain kinds of shoes fuck my feet up- I've got a brand spanking new pair of Merrills that I can't wear because the arch is too high.

thanks!

johnes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 03:35:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

dope. thank you.

what's your foot structure like? high arch, low arch, flat? I'm curious because I've done a lot of specialized foot work in the past couple years, like taken workshops and trainings about how to retrain walking/running, strengthening arches, how to properly stand without shifting weight or pronating, and strengthening the whole foot. It's been great and still, certain kinds of shoes fuck my feet up- I've got a brand spanking new pair of Merrills that I can't wear because the arch is too high.

thanks!
Footprint game changers and kingfoam insoles work great for me as well, I have a standard medium arch.
The only downside to those insoles for me is they last me maybe 2 months then after that I’ve grounded my big toe all the way through the insole you the point to where it bugs me and I switch back to other insoles.
eS Quattro doesn’t seem to be too bulky, the insoles in those are probably really thin and basic, most of their shoes have insoles like that except for the Accel Slims.

As to if NB skate shoes are worth it, imo they are making some of the best overall quality cupsoles on the market. But DC and eS cupsoles are also always good to me and what I usually skate. Lynx OG, Accel OG, I usually add aftermarket insoles to those tho.

I’m a fat Siamese cat.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 04:16:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

dope. thank you.

thanks!
[close]
Footprint game changers and kingfoam insoles work great for me as well, I have a standard medium arch.
The only downside to those insoles for me is they last me maybe 2 months then after that I’ve grounded my big toe all the way through the insole you the point to where it bugs me and I switch back to other insoles.
eS Quattro doesn’t seem to be too bulky, the insoles in those are probably really thin and basic, most of their shoes have insoles like that except for the Accel Slims.

As to if NB skate shoes are worth it, imo they are making some of the best overall quality cupsoles on the market. But DC and eS cupsoles are also always good to me and what I usually skate. Lynx OG, Accel OG, I usually add aftermarket insoles to those tho.

nice. thank you. I had a few pairs of black and red accels in the late 90s or early 00s and liked them but I think I skate differently now, so I'm not sure what's good! I'm gonna have to try on a few pairs I guess

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 07:53:35 PM »
If you have flat or high arched feet, I doubt the FP insoles will help much in terms of foot health. I use the harder, more supportive sports insoles from Superfeet that runners, basketball players and hockey players use. The cushion is not great but it gives much needed arch support which the foamy bit of softer insoles cannot provide, which is fine since my skating is limited to ledges and flatbar. Correcting my arch position helps to reduce strain on my knees and minimize pronation, so it helps the entire chain of leg if that makes sense.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 09:21:17 PM »
There are a lot of shoes out nowdays that have the insole NOT glued down, so it is easy to take it out or change it over for an aftermarket one, including putting in the orthotics variety, of which there are quite a few - Footprint, Remind, Etcetera and others.

Being able to try on shoes is a big plus, as well as look and and check out the insoles but some places will not have them or will only be accessible online.

My feet have all sorts of issues, but I do things to my standard and pro Vans (which are one of the thinnest and softest shoe brands on the market) to make them way more stable including cutting cardboard and gluing it down the inside to increase arch support under my custom insoles, but there are products you can buy ready to go.

The most frustrating thing I find is shop staff will often recommend what they only have in stock or what they only find works for them, which may not work for you or other people, so just check things out or try them on if possible.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 11:27:24 PM »
There are a lot of shoes out nowdays that have the insole NOT glued down, so it is easy to take it out or change it over for an aftermarket one, including putting in the orthotics variety, of which there are quite a few - Footprint, Remind, Etcetera and others.

For real, their ankle braces are really good. An ankle tweak that would have put me out for 2 weeks was reduced to light swelling and 2 days off with the ankle brace.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m