Author Topic: Is this "madness"? What to do when afraid a good shape won't ever come back?  (Read 1424 times)

TumKayo

I've been thinking about this for a week. What do you guys do when you find a great shape that works well for you, and you're afraid that shape might not be back for a while? Do you stock up? Is stocking up bad, because decks get worse with time? Am I nkn futs?

Paperclip20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
Clutch woodshop x8 i found it one time and only bought one.if I could now I'd buy 10 just to make sure I could keep skating them. From here on out I will be stocking up but i also try to skate symmetrical boards which are uncommon

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
  • One Trick Pony
I pray to the Habitat gods and sometimes it works

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I am probably the worst for this, but when I find something I like, I do my research and find out all the details about a product before I go all in.  If there is a special or sale on certain boards or there has been a one off production, then I get to work and try to track down who has them and even contact the supplier about production numbers, distribution, etc.  It has worked for some things.  Quite often there are a lot more than you might think, or there are going to be more in the future so you don't have to worry as much.

For decks, if you buy as many as you can afford or find, they might last a long time but remember to store them well, eg flat in cardboard shipping boxes or something similar.  I still have decks that are 10+ years old and they are still perfectly fine as they have been stored well.  I know others who have decks less than a year old and they are done before they even skated them, because they left them jammed up in a cupboard or in their car, they have warped or have heat stress and become brittle and snap easily.

Right now there are huge shortages in the hardgoods side of the skateboard industry, some companies and brands more than others, or more so in some countries than others too.

What is it that you have found that you want more of?  There are people on here who know a lot more than you might think (certainly a lot more than I do) and they can help you as well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
I've been thinking about this for a week. What do you guys do when you find a great shape that works well for you, and you're afraid that shape might not be back for a while? Do you stock up? Is stocking up bad, because decks get worse with time? Am I nkn futs?

My one friend is doing this as he bought 4-5 polar boards with the wheel wells as he loves them & now he bought the Madness boards because he likes the one shape. He's sitting on 9+ boards.

I'm currently sitting on three Fa/Hockey boards as I am waiting for the the Holidays/COVID to shake things up again. And as for shoes, I am set. At this point, if I buy any skate related stuff, I am giving in to my impulses.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
It's dumb because you are just going to find something else you like then you'll have a stock of boards you used to like.

You really think people who hang out in "shoes and gear" are gonna skate the same shape for 3 years?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 980
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following

If I really enjoyed it, I'll buy one or two more, preferably on sale.

I've done a few times:

Primitive 8.25" x4 (had a code that stacked with a crazy sale = 4 for $75, only one left)
Creature 8.2" - these never come around anymore =(
Palace 8.2"
DLX TT Slicks

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
It's dumb because you are just going to find something else you like then you'll have a stock of boards you used to like.

You really think people who hang out in "shoes and gear" are gonna skate the same shape for 3 years?

TumKayo

I’m thinking more unique shapes. What I had in mind was the Heroin 10” egg. I’m loving it. I have one, and just got a backup deck. There are a few more out there, just wondering if I should stock up. I’m afraid it may not come back for a year or more.

I still will skate other shapes, but something about this giant egg is amazing for me.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
Expand Quote

[close]

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
Yea yer prolly crazy, but seriously, yea stock up. It's covid times bro, you never kno when another drought could come. As mentioned, store them well or you'll have a lot of dumb wall hangers.
Personally, I like new decks, different but ima popsicle guy, so not many shapes, and I've had my decks that were magic, habitat 8.25 and real 8.25s both were serviceable. But I suck at skating so precise gear isn't an issue for me.
Whoa. Danger.

Eggie Vedder

• Rep: 32
My biggest regret in skating is it stocking up in the model board that hammers released. The shape was perfect and I know I’ll never find joy again.

TumKayo

One million eggs!!

Junglist

My biggest regret in skating is it stocking up in the model board that hammers released. The shape was perfect and I know I’ll never find joy again.
which one?

Eggie Vedder

• Rep: 32
Expand Quote
[close]
which one?

I’m on my phone so embedding is hard but it was this one:
https://webringjustice.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/naked_girl_houseofhammers.jpg
It’s a football shape but the tail was slightly square.

FrozenIndustries

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Yeah, chasing shapes sucks. It's pointless and has honestly made something really fun kind of miserable for me as of late.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1928
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Stocking up is horrible but necessary. Found out I like the P2 boards so I bought 5 new and 2 lightly used ones between 8 and 8.25 to board. Just got a lightly used Habitat one yesterday too. I'm a bitch when it comes to razor tail and want to change out as soon it I feel it starting, but the hardgoods shortage coupled with an out of production shape had be riding the board for at least another 2 weeks (6-8 sessions).

Even contemplated going down to 7.875 just to keep riding P2 boards but I think that may be just too insane even by my standards.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mongoloid

I have this madness with everything. Especially shoes, and it’s really just an extension of my obsessive nature.

TumKayo

it’s really just an extension of my obsessive nature.

Lol same here

I think I just found another shape I love today, however it’s much more common than the 10” egg, so I probably don’t have to hoard.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
Stocking up is horrible but necessary. Found out I like the P2 boards so I bought 5 new and 2 lightly used ones between 8 and 8.25 to board. Just got a lightly used Habitat one yesterday too. I'm a bitch when it comes to razor tail and want to change out as soon it I feel it starting, but the hardgoods shortage coupled with an out of production shape had be riding the board for at least another 2 weeks (6-8 sessions).

Even contemplated going down to 7.875 just to keep riding P2 boards but I think that may be just too insane even by my standards.

I had a p2, 10 years ago at least, skated really well (for me) on it. Have you found anything else similar? Drawback, for me, was stiffness hurt joints, and was a little unpredictable: tricks either popped higher than I have ever popped them (something that I am sorely missing now), or not much happened and I jumped way higher into the air than my board went. Which always looks funny.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
its not madness...unless I'm mad too...

TumKayo

What the heck is that?

Lol, Idk what I was thinking when I made this thread, I knew it wouldn’t help.

Time to stock up!

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
Ive been trying to find more Habitat Austyn boards. 8.25x32x14.5. Anyone know something with equivalent dims that’s pressed by PA? I have one on ice but really wanted to save it for the wall.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
Expand Quote

[close]

What the heck is that?

Lol, Idk what I was thinking when I made this thread, I knew it wouldn’t help.

Time to stock up!

Anti hero brown bomber shape...looks like they’re making/sending only popsicles to Australia for the short term...so i bit the bullet and bought enough to last me till mid next year.

Asking people who obsess way too much about gear is never a good result, unless you’ve already made the decision to buy!

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
If you get a general feel for what you like about a certain shape then you can usually find something that is at least similar, but some decks are unique and must be hoarded.

The one I went really crazy trying to find is the old WKND 8.25 shape. At some point in the past two or so years (before the recent change to their shape lineup) they switched it from being 31.5" length with a huge, steep nose to 31.75 with a fairly normal, less square nose. Ive been obsessively trying to find the old ones for some time... I've imported decks from Australia (turned out to be the wrong shape) and the UK (that one was right) for twice as much as a normal deck and even now at least once or twice a week I scour ebay do lengthy Google searches trying to uncover them. I've found a few other shapes that are pretty similar but nothing with the same combination of nose, length, wheelbase, and PS wood that I love.

I emailed WKND about it a while ago and they said they didn't change anything on their end but PS "resurfaced and reworked the nose"  on the mold so I don't even know if it's possible to have them made anymore.

Luckily Scumco has a somewhat similar 8.25 shape in their PS line, but if anyone has some of the old WKND gathering dust in their local shop I'll buy it and pay you a finders fee. I should probably just make a wanted poster and put it in my signature..

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
  • Just another skate shop guy

Ah yes, well at least you will have enough for now.  I did see a few had sold and I was hoping you had been the recipient rather than just some random buying a board because it was just whatever was in stock.

I know a few shops that would keep the good ones hidden and only bring them out for people who would be keen, not just for the ones who wanted a nice graphic and bought a board purely on what they saw, not size, shape, feel of wood, etc.

Anything new coming in looks like it will be $130+ now too.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
Here in Chile is quite challenging since the stock is tricky af, you don't come to see that many 8.5s as I would like so I have to be less picky.  If is 8.5 and no longer that 32.5 and no shorter than 31.75 I'll get it. Hopefully with a 14.25 WB. I have on ice a G033 McCrank board and a classic Zero bold + a local one on its way which I have no idea about specs.
Also F4 conical fulls 99 53mm, if not 54 is acceptable and probably 52 too.
Regarding shoes lease flood me with Vans pros.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 980
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah booooooooi!

sketchyrider

i think this "shape fear" is something i've tried to avoid, there's no sense getting attached to a certain model if it's not going to stick around.

it seems like shaped boards seem to be grouped into a few categories, like square, egg, retro/reissue which is always some variant of a fish shape. so you can kinda trade one for another, but there's so much variety there's no guarantee a single shape keep being made.

i think part of the appeal of popsicles, is they are consistent if nothing else. i like a full shape with no taper and a big tail, there's lots of those. my favorite shape could disappear and i could find something close.

also i can't pretend i'm good enough for some of the details to matter, tbh.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
I recently stocked up on some Aprils (4) . I loved the shape and size and all the tops were yellow. Other than that I'm still searching for "The One".