Author Topic: Is this "madness"? What to do when afraid a good shape won't ever come back?  (Read 1423 times)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
I love eggs. Currently on the Krooked "Lil Snuff" smaller egg. It is the best. I am afraid to love it, in case they stop making it. My favorite era of skating is the BPSW times, very partial to these shapes. I dream of a day when all boards are egg shapes again! (do not see this happening but a boy can dream)

Seventyfrigginseven

I love the thrill of the hunt, so I only purchase one at a time. My baby is a 9.5 shaped deck so it lasts longer than a pop. for me, so its not to stressful. That being said I would be very upset if they ever stopped making it.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
Expand Quote
its not madness...unless I'm mad too...

[close]

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah booooooooi!

I wish I had done something like this, and just focused on the skating, instead of the gear.

I for sure buy shit and then hate it tho so I feel like I’d just have 4 boards I didn’t want to skate next week

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
i think this "shape fear" is something i've tried to avoid, there's no sense getting attached to a certain model if it's not going to stick around.

it seems like shaped boards seem to be grouped into a few categories, like square, egg, retro/reissue which is always some variant of a fish shape. so you can kinda trade one for another, but there's so much variety there's no guarantee a single shape keep being made.

i think part of the appeal of popsicles, is they are consistent if nothing else. i like a full shape with no taper and a big tail, there's lots of those. my favorite shape could disappear and i could find something close.

also i can't pretend i'm good enough for some of the details to matter, tbh.

I see it as I'm a working adult with much less free time to skate, so I want consistency in my setup. I don't want to have to spend time re-adapting to my setup especially since I've become more of a orchid skater since getting older. New shapes are fun once in a while and we all adapt to different shapes, but I only have 2 x 3 hour sessions in the week, I don't want to waste 1/2 of it struggling with a shape I'm not feeling, go through truck madness, swap shit around, only to realize it's me not being adaptable and not my setup.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sammyz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 82
Expand Quote
i think this "shape fear" is something i've tried to avoid, there's no sense getting attached to a certain model if it's not going to stick around.

it seems like shaped boards seem to be grouped into a few categories, like square, egg, retro/reissue which is always some variant of a fish shape. so you can kinda trade one for another, but there's so much variety there's no guarantee a single shape keep being made.

i think part of the appeal of popsicles, is they are consistent if nothing else. i like a full shape with no taper and a big tail, there's lots of those. my favorite shape could disappear and i could find something close.

also i can't pretend i'm good enough for some of the details to matter, tbh.
[close]

I see it as I'm a working adult with much less free time to skate, so I want consistency in my setup. I don't want to have to spend time re-adapting to my setup especially since I've become more of a orchid skater since getting older. New shapes are fun once in a while and we all adapt to different shapes, but I only have 2 x 3 hour sessions in the week, I don't want to waste 1/2 of it struggling with a shape I'm not feeling, go through truck madness, swap shit around, only to realize it's me not being adaptable and not my setup.

That’s exactly where im at...im not good enough or young enough to adapt to change...if i learn a trick, i wanna be able to keep it rather than having to relearn/adjust for new set up.