Author Topic: VX1000 or VX2000 or VX2100: Which should you buy?  (Read 4437 times)

suckmadeck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 27
VX1000 or VX2000 or VX2100: Which should you buy?
« on: November 04, 2020, 04:26:45 AM »
I often get messages from people who are looking to buy a VX and one of the most common questions I get is: which one should I choose? So I am making this post so people can go through the pro & cons of both and make a decision. Feel free to add any in the comments below and any other thoughts and tips.

Sony VX1000 - Pros
  • Lightweight and compact
  • The best microphone for skateboarding
  • Combined with the MK1 fisheye gives some of the best looking SD 4:3 footage
  • Relatively simple to use and easy to setup
  • Can be repaired by most people, if you don't have the ability too there are tons of people who repair them to a professional level
  • When used during the day the image looks great

Sony VX1000 - Cons
  • Breaks very easily. If you own one, it will break. Either from a lens hit or from just old age.
  • The fisheye alone costs more than the camera, and is very hard to find
  • Uses abnormal Sony NP-F batteries which you can't find very easily (you can however modify regular Sony NP-F batteries but it can be messy, and possibly sketchy)
  • Awful in lowlight
  • If setup incorrectly it can look awful.

Sony VX2000 - Pros
  • Far better than the VX1000 in low light
  • Built better than the VX1000
  • Microphone is ok, if set manually
  • Can use the MK2 or an Opteka lens and you'll get pretty good results
  • Flip out screen
  • Uses normal Sony NP-F batteries and are easier to find

Sony VX2000 - Cons
  • Isn't as wide as a VX1 with the MK1
  • Microphone isn't as good as the VX1000
  • Some people say the colours don't look as good however this is personal preference

Sony VX2100 - Pros
  • Even better in low light over the VX1000 & the VX2000
  • Better build quality

Sony VX2100 - Cons
  • Isn't as wide as the VX1 with a MK1
  • Microphone is rubbish compared to the VX2000 & the VX1000

Obviously there will be more pros and cons but these are all I could think of right now. If you have anymore feel free to add them below and I can always update the post.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
Re: VX1000 or VX2000 or VX2100: Which should you buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 05:33:30 AM »
Microphone is rubbish compared to the VX2000 & the VX1000

I've owned the three and VX2000/2100 microphone were pretty similar in my opinion.
The only thing is that you have to set it manually to have good results.

As you said VX1000 microphone is indeed the best.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 06:41:02 AM »
I've a VX2100 and a Century Mk 2 bayo available if anybody is looking for one or both...

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 07:25:40 AM »
Pretty much nailed the head on this one. Can't really think of any other pros/cons for either three of the cameras, besides the vx1000 DOES not like cold weather. Never tried to film snowboarding with the 2 or 21. Only used my 1000 to film snowboarding and it would always just shut off randomly, or the classic condensation in the tape deck. You even mentioned the colors on the 2000. You musta been on skateperception back in the day?

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 09:25:35 AM »
Agreed with all as I also used all three cameras over the years. As long as you set everything manually (excluding the vx1000 audio) they're output is all great.

I noticed there is a huge misconception with the generation who started filming on iPhones and then moved to the vx. This isn't just about the kids starting out. I see dudes in their mid 20s also butchering footage. YOU HAVE TO USE MANUAL SETTINGS! I can't believe how much vx1000 footage looks like shit because people assume since it's a classic all you need to do is turn it on and hit the record button. Also, people need to learn rule of thirds for stationary fisheye. Skater rolls up from side of frame, pop trick in the middle and then rolls away on the other side of frame all while moving the camera (bad explanation I know).

I'm just glad I grew up getting tips and advice from the older dudes on skateperception, some who film in the industry today. Also, watching The Happy Medium vid, Jackson Casey's stuff and a few others back then helped.

Sorry for the rant but I just want new filmers to atleast care and get the most out of their cameras. Also, this isn't to say I'm the BEST filmer out there. It's just things I've noticed over the years.

bataaard

• Rep: 40
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 10:23:55 AM »
you can use the MK1 on vx2000/2100 if you get the good bayoring.
It produces more vig but you can zoom a little bit in post to have the same vig as on the 1000.

The vx2000/2100 mk2 or opteka kind of suck in my opinion.

a good alternative to the VX1000 MK1 is the TRV900 with the babydeath. It's cheaper and almost as wide.

suckmadeck

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 12:08:51 PM »
Agreed with all as I also used all three cameras over the years. As long as you set everything manually (excluding the vx1000 audio) they're output is all great.

I noticed there is a huge misconception with the generation who started filming on iPhones and then moved to the vx. This isn't just about the kids starting out. I see dudes in their mid 20s also butchering footage. YOU HAVE TO USE MANUAL SETTINGS! I can't believe how much vx1000 footage looks like shit because people assume since it's a classic all you need to do is turn it on and hit the record button. Also, people need to learn rule of thirds for stationary fisheye. Skater rolls up from side of frame, pop trick in the middle and then rolls away on the other side of frame all while moving the camera (bad explanation I know).

I'm just glad I grew up getting tips and advice from the older dudes on skateperception, some who film in the industry today. Also, watching The Happy Medium vid, Jackson Casey's stuff and a few others back then helped.

Sorry for the rant but I just want new filmers to atleast care and get the most out of their cameras. Also, this isn't to say I'm the BEST filmer out there. It's just things I've noticed over the years.

Very very true! I believe being a competent filmer isn't just where you point the camera etc. but also knowing how to set it up. So many good tricks have fallen to the wayside due to shoddy camera settings making everything look like mush!

suckmadeck

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 12:10:50 PM »
Pretty much nailed the head on this one. Can't really think of any other pros/cons for either three of the cameras, besides the vx1000 DOES not like cold weather. Never tried to film snowboarding with the 2 or 21. Only used my 1000 to film snowboarding and it would always just shut off randomly, or the classic condensation in the tape deck. You even mentioned the colors on the 2000. You musta been on skateperception back in the day?

Good point. It's a miracle the VX doesn't just say nope when used in super cold situations.  And I was and wasn't. I had an account for a while but didn't use it often. I actually became good friends with one of the mods and still speak to him to this day.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 02:24:36 AM »
VX21 over a 2. Personally for me.
I owned 2 VX21s and I found they are very reliable cameras (especially considering they were made around 2004 or so?)
The first one only really died after it got whacked full on by someone and you could still use it, just that you couldn't set anything manual in the menus. My mate's VX2 works fine and all, but there's just something to 21s even though they are very similar. Plus you can kinda make the settings similar to VX1 on a 21. Not the same, but similar. Sound is pretty good on them too. I used to run a mk1 on the VX21 and it's pretty wide, but you do get a ton of vignette (which I actually dig, but I know some people don't).

VX1 is the boy. It's like an old car; it's banging 'cause it drives better than modern-assisted muck and all, but you know it'll give you some gyp. But if you're committed to keeping it running it'll reward ya.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 04:18:02 AM »
I used to own a VX2000 and also filmed with the VX2100. I can relate to the pros and cons, even though I've never filmed with a VX1000. Personally, I was relying on the screen a lot, that would be a big one for me.

By the way, I couldn't afford the Century lens, so I used the Raynox DCR-FE180 Pro on my VX2000. Totally underrated in terms of the image, but terribly heavy. The VX2100 had the Century lens, much easier to handle.

With all the talk about the microphones, I am wondering if the DSR-PD150 might be a great option these days to film VX with great sound. It has professional XLR connectors including phantom power, so you can use some serious microphones.

suckmadeck

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 09:19:20 AM »
I used to own a VX2000 and also filmed with the VX2100. I can relate to the pros and cons, even though I've never filmed with a VX1000. Personally, I was relying on the screen a lot, that would be a big one for me.

By the way, I couldn't afford the Century lens, so I used the Raynox DCR-FE180 Pro on my VX2000. Totally underrated in terms of the image, but terribly heavy. The VX2100 had the Century lens, much easier to handle.

With all the talk about the microphones, I am wondering if the DSR-PD150 might be a great option these days to film VX with great sound. It has professional XLR connectors including phantom power, so you can use some serious microphones.

I always thought the PD150/170 were under rated. Roger Bagley used em for quite a while and some bits of Bag Of Suck were shot on a PD150 I think. You have far greater mic options with an XLR over 3.5mm