Author Topic: What Actually Happens When You Lose a Trick?  (Read 584 times)

Tear Up a Trick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
What Actually Happens When You Lose a Trick?
« on: November 04, 2020, 08:07:20 AM »
I'm not really talking about injuries, weather related hiatuses, or whatever, but what is actually the physics and / or the psychology behind when the board just will not flip the way you used to be able to flip it on the same trick that you just had dialed?  What actually happens here?  Is there something on your mind?  Something inside you?  Around you?  Sunspots?  How can we explain this from an empirical standpoint?

cant stop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • It's all about tricks.
Re: What Actually Happens When You Lose a Trick?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 08:21:46 AM »
Age, but maybe you can learn something new instead?
You know what sucks? I always rip my pants when Im having a good time! - The Gonz

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 08:28:42 AM »
A psychology teacher explained muscle memory like a path through the woods. The more you take the path, the less debris is going to be in the way and it will feel easy. When you get injured or take long breaks from skating, it gives the woods time to grow back over the path = you feeling rusty. Sometimes it’s easy to develop a bad habit in a single session which is why it’s important to not obsess over a single trick you can’t do one day. I liken this to a huge tree falling over on to the path. Developing these bad habits can happen for a number of reasons. Fatigue, new shoes, a chipped board/ waterlogged board, a new board, new terrain, wind, etc. can lead to developing a bad habit within 10 tries unfortunately. When I’m struggling with something I think it’s important to focus on the base physics of how a trick works, rather than all the little details. Because at the end of the day, it’s the physics that make a trick work, and the details that give you style. The details can always be figured out later and come natural after lots of practice.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 08:54:35 AM »
Totally age and all of its implications. Also lasting effects from injuries. When I got an MRT for a bad ankle this summer the doc showed me that my ligaments are essentially just one weird rag of tissue with limited mobility. This is from when I completely fucked my ankle three years ago. Never had a good flick but I am convinced it has gotten worse since that injury.

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 08:57:26 AM »
A psychology teacher explained muscle memory like a path through the woods. The more you take the path, the less debris is going to be in the way and it will feel easy. When you get injured or take long breaks from skating, it gives the woods time to grow back over the path = you feeling rusty. Sometimes it’s easy to develop a bad habit in a single session which is why it’s important to not obsess over a single trick you can’t do one day. I liken this to a huge tree falling over on to the path. Developing these bad habits can happen for a number of reasons. Fatigue, new shoes, a chipped board/ waterlogged board, a new board, new terrain, wind, etc. can lead to developing a bad habit within 10 tries unfortunately. When I’m struggling with something I think it’s important to focus on the base physics of how a trick works, rather than all the little details. Because at the end of the day, it’s the physics that make a trick work, and the details that give you style. The details can always be figured out later and come natural after lots of practice.
I really like this analogy.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 09:38:14 AM »
Lost a few moves when I thought it was a good idea to start drinking the moment I woke up till bedtime for a few years. Oh well, on the bright side after watching AVEs part last night my 38 year old ass learned switch noseslides 270 out in a few tries at 3 in the morning.

It’s silly to think u can keep every trick u learn throughout the years. I’ve noticed my style changing over the course of 25 years. Some tricks will come easier n some will get harder.

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 10:11:32 AM »
I lost my FS 180 flips. However I’ll dork around and do a SW BS 180 heelflip 1st try.
Which makes no sense to me...