Author Topic: Sony DVC Tapes Discontinuation  (Read 602 times)

sphincterparty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
Sony DVC Tapes Discontinuation
« on: November 05, 2020, 09:35:03 AM »
From what I have heard, Sony has stopped manufacturing DVC tapes, which explains the pricing going up on Amazon. That being said, has anyone tried those TRK or Maxwell mini DV tapes? Are those even compatible with the VX? 

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 13
  • VX1000
Re: Sony DVC Tapes Discontinuation
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 09:38:49 AM »
The real question: is it better to reuse a Sony premium mini dv tape, or resort to one of those other brands?

I have ~500 tapes that have only been used once. All logged and captured, so considering reusing those if new tapes become increasingly harder to find.

Also, never used anything besides Sony premium, so I'm no help there.
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 11:39:59 PM »
The real question: is it better to reuse a Sony premium mini dv tape, or resort to one of those other brands?

I have ~500 tapes that have only been used once. All logged and captured, so considering reusing those if new tapes become increasingly harder to find.

Also, never used anything besides Sony premium, so I'm no help there.

Even if they come impossible to find. I would't even risk using a tape you already filmed on. Thats a huge risk of glitchness

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 489
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 12:08:12 AM »
i experienced this sharp increase in price accompanied with a decline in availablity as well. therefore, i ordered a five pack of "sony mini dv premium" tapes on aliexpress for research purposes some weeks ago. they have not showed up yet. however, i am also a little hesitant putting then into the tape deck of my vx. will investigate and maybe report back. for now, i will - given their arrival - store them as a last resort option.

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 01:11:03 AM »
i used sony dv premium for more than 10 years without any problem.

use a head cleaning tape before switching brand.

and if you need to clean your heads later, try to have a head cleaning tape the same brand as the tapes you use

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 01:48:27 AM »
Is the SD card hack a viable option? I’d love to get a VX again someday just for nostalgic reason but cannot see myself messing with digital tapes ever again.