Author Topic: Will we reach the apex of flip tricks and begin to do more plants and grabs ?  (Read 1794 times)

Sandygoat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -45
  • THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
When will enough be enough? Will we push the flip tricks to the point where they become boring and we will look for alternative? Do you think we will ever go back in time and start grabs and street plants? What would need to happen for this to happen and how would you react to this?

kappa2448

• Rep: 1
It's not really about pushing things too far. Different skaters will do different tricks based on what they like. Maybe the trends will change and street grabs will become more popular, but I don't think this would be because flips became "boring".

IMO street footplants are usually bad, even most footplants in transition aren't worth putting in video part. But they can be a fun trick from time to time.

Circaskater420

• Rep: -76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
No new flip tricks 2020

ColorWheelsGraphicsOut

• Rep: 4
Street grabs are sick. Stalefish the double set. Fully tweaked, frontside shifty type thing.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
When will enough be enough? Will we push the flip tricks to the point where they become boring and we will look for alternative?

There's no doubt in my mind that will happen in 1994.

CannerSpaghetti

Flip tricks are nice in small doses. In a video, kickflipping the stairs, flatground tre flip, and a crook nollie flip in a line for example is a snooze fest despite the difficulty. On the other hand a nice tasteful backslide flip mixed in with some Dane Brady-ish skating is so much nicer to see.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
there will be a point where 540 flips and 720 flip variations are the bees knees and everyone moves down to 7.5 or 7.75 boards again. especially to differentiate themselves from streetwear fiends.

biaherl

• Rep: 264
    • Why So Sad avatar image
it's cyclical

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
All I know is I’m sick of ghetto birds and bigger flips

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
Shane hasn’t peaked, yet
listen to cosmic psychos

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Krod's early grab shuv is just the tip of the iceberg.....

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
I predict one day flips into grabs will be the top trend and then everyone will feel stupid for making jokes about Brandon Turner

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
It's all gravy really. Lately, because of covid shit, I pretty much don't skate but to keep me tethered to the cruel bitch goddess that is skating, I've been watching shit that doesn't hype me up, which is mostly flip in flip out tech shit. So lotsa Shane and pj. But I think we're as close to it as we're gonna get. Like how there, to me, not a ton of tre flips for no reason in parts now.
Whoa. Danger.

Sandygoat

• THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
It's not really about pushing things too far. Different skaters will do different tricks based on what they like. Maybe the trends will change and street grabs will become more popular, but I don't think this would be because flips became "boring".

IMO street footplants are usually bad, even most footplants in transition aren't worth putting in video part. But they can be a fun trick from time to time.
The way I see it that there is gonna be such a saturation and flip tricks will become so absurd that people will move on. Will pros in ten years will be doing 900 flips? I like flip tricks but I don't think we will be living a flip trick world for very long. There is a limit to how many rotations the board can do before it looks like the last one but with more pop.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
that's an interesting angle thinking that flips will need to be replaced with grabs. the only realistic place that a grab could even replace a flip is down stairs/gaps - which is horrendous. otherwise, are you saying that people should be doing grabs into and out manuals and ledges and just generally on flat in the middle of lines?

i think how and what skateboarding is, is already established. it's already been refined and progression now is really just higher, longer, better style and to that point skateboarding could kind of be passed technical progression {i know that it isn't - i guess this is just my opinion}.

it's just an established thing that doesn't even need progression in the act. like when you just enjoy a particular genre of music for a weak example, it doesn't actually have to be progressively more, it's just the same shit done by different people and you can just keep appreciating because you dig it. not all bands are as good as each other, but the better ones aren't always differentiated by more complex chords and intense polyrhythms.

people already know that double flips or 540 flips and beyond don't make things better. i think progression for skateboarding is more in how and what the culture is more than anything else at the moment.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
I reckon if we do too many grabs while grinding we’ll start looking like rollerbladers
Benihana crooks lol
Madonna tail slides
Fuck that’s nasty a thought experiment gone too far
listen to cosmic psychos

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
i'd say we've already reached the apex of flip tricks and anything past that gets clowned on aka all those weird youtube kid dragon alpha betamax gamma flips or whatever the fuck

im just waiting for someone to eventually take a trick/spot too far and straight up die

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
I can see a nice indy grab to crooked grind down a handrail becoming a desirable trick to do. I'm not even joking.
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
Expand Quote
When will enough be enough? Will we push the flip tricks to the point where they become boring and we will look for alternative?
[close]

There's no doubt in my mind that will happen in 1994.

This.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
I can see a nice indy grab to crooked grind down a handrail becoming a desirable trick to do. I'm not even joking.

fs indy to overcrook trending in 2021

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
Will we push the flip tricks to the point where they become boring and we will look for alternative?
Battle at the Berrics- “Hold my beer!”

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Flip tricks and switch are exhausted. Videos will turn to frankie villani type stuff

Sandygoat

• THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
that's an interesting angle thinking that flips will need to be replaced with grabs. the only realistic place that a grab could even replace a flip is down stairs/gaps - which is horrendous. otherwise, are you saying that people should be doing grabs into and out manuals and ledges and just generally on flat in the middle of lines?

i think how and what skateboarding is, is already established. it's already been refined and progression now is really just higher, longer, better style and to that point skateboarding could kind of be passed technical progression {i know that it isn't - i guess this is just my opinion}.

it's just an established thing that doesn't even need progression in the act. like when you just enjoy a particular genre of music for a weak example, it doesn't actually have to be progressively more, it's just the same shit done by different people and you can just keep appreciating because you dig it. not all bands are as good as each other, but the better ones aren't always differentiated by more complex chords and intense polyrhythms.

people already know that double flips or 540 flips and beyond don't make things better. i think progression for skateboarding is more in how and what the culture is more than anything else at the moment.
While I agree that stuff can stay the same and you can still like it. Although, I think everything will become samey and people will look out ways to become more unique. Instead of flipping onto a rail maybe you can boneless into it. I think the way they will be used will not be something we have seen before.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
maybe an unpopular opinion brian anderson's boneless into rails adventure was not cool at all to me and i love B.A

but that's it, it's all already been done. people have bonelessed {fs and bs} into rails, people have no complied and beanplanted into them. people will do it again i'm sure...

maybe you should just watch more heroin videos, or old welcome stuff, or old andy roy footage if you are really keen on grabs and footplants into rails.

skating evolved like everything else evolved. i don't think science has shown anywhere {not that i've looked} that things get bored of their evolutionary traits because it's too "samey" and just replace their eyelids with toes because it would be more unique. grabs evolved to keep you on your board while you do an air and that's basically where they belong.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Sandygoat

• THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
maybe an unpopular opinion brian anderson's boneless into rails adventure was not cool at all to me and i love B.A

but that's it, it's all already been done. people have bonelessed {fs and bs} into rails, people have no complied and beanplanted into them. people will do it again i'm sure...

maybe you should just watch more heroin videos, or old welcome stuff, or old andy roy footage if you are really keen on grabs and footplants into rails.

skating evolved like everything else evolved. i don't think science has shown anywhere {not that i've looked} that things get bored of their evolutionary traits because it's too "samey" and just replace their eyelids with toes because it would be more unique. grabs evolved to keep you on your board while you do an air and that's basically where they belong.
Yeah I love all the heroin videos. Your point on evolution is kinda moot though. At the end of the day skateboarding is art and people will create new art with old styles. I don't see the hate on them though. A grab after a kick flip down a set would be very refreshing. Sure they are very utilitarian but I think they do have a place in the future of street skating ( lizard king part in baker has a death wish comes to mind) .

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
there will be a point where 540 flips and 720 flip variations are the bees knees and everyone moves down to 7.5 or 7.75 boards again. especially to differentiate themselves from streetwear fiends.

it's cyclical

Expand Quote

[close]
The way I see it that there is gonna be such a saturation and flip tricks will become so absurd that people will move on. Will pros in ten years will be doing 900 flips? I like flip tricks but I don't think we will be living a flip trick world for very long. There is a limit to how many rotations the board can do before it looks like the last one but with more pop.

i'd say we've already reached the apex of flip tricks and anything past that gets clowned on aka all those weird youtube kid dragon alpha betamax gamma flips or whatever the fuck

im just waiting for someone to eventually take a trick/spot too far and straight up die
Seems like it'll be an amalgamation of these - improvement upon the cycle with more or less the same amount of division on what's actually gotten better vs. if it's been degenerated. Not sure that we're at the apex yet, simply because some of these other circus tricks like forward flips are becoming somewhat normalized, and as horrible as it is to say, park groms haven't gotten to the point where they can all do 720 doubleflips, with their leader throwing switch 900 tripleflips. Or some shit like that.