Author Topic: Tips on Ollie? [VIDEO INCLUDED]  (Read 1173 times)

nateolson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Tips on Ollie? [VIDEO INCLUDED]
« on: November 08, 2020, 03:41:23 PM »
Hello, I've included video of me trying ollies in my apartment complex parking lot. I'm able to get in the air about 70-80% of the time, but it usually looks like this. Is this an issue with my pop not being strong enough, or am I not sliding enough/sliding my front foot downwards too much?

My board: 8" popsicle with Indy 149s, bones wheels (100s/53 - OG Formula) and bones bearings.
Me: About 6' and 150lbs. I skated vert a lot from middle school to like sophomore/junior year of high school. I'm now a sophomore in college, picking it back up again. I can do about a 3-5 second manual, drop off of curbs, kickturn, drop in, and that's about it.

Short 50-second video of my ollie attempts (I purposefully included the $hittiest ones so it would be easier to see what I'm doing wrong - don't roast). -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/12ZgR8uMlbSAojY5xxbcn75ncKXWeNEkj/view?usp=sharing

Let me know if the link doesn't work. Thank you everybody!

Nate Olson
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 07:47:18 PM by rocklobster »

treflips_up_yer_nan

Re: Tips on Ollie? [VIDEO INCLUDED]
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 01:58:45 PM »
I can ollie 6 boards so i guess i have a few tips to spare and hopefully it helps.

I can see two immediate problems in terms of stance. One, your back foot should be directly over your tail, like almost falling off your tail and it should be straight. Two, your front foot is way the fuck back on your board, i made the same mistake starting out a year ago  :D

Youre just starting so try to do small but nice ollies at first instead of trying to get big air first thing. Try positioning your foot right below your front bolts for added stability.

Now the biggest issue by far is timing and not sliding your front foot. Basically a good ollie is as follows: you pop straight down with your back foot and slide up your board with you front foot (kinda like a ninja kick). Then your board comes back up to your back foot (the catch) and then you stomp it down. On your video, you pop at an angle which limits your air time and you front foot doesnt slide, it just kinda sits there, blocking your board and stopping you fromp achieving air.

My two cents anyway. you should head out to youtube there are literally hundreds of amazing tutorials on ollies made by dudes with scary capabilities. Good luck man!

nateolson

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 07:46:13 PM »
I can ollie 6 boards so i guess i have a few tips to spare and hopefully it helps.

I can see two immediate problems in terms of stance. One, your back foot should be directly over your tail, like almost falling off your tail and it should be straight. Two, your front foot is way the fuck back on your board, i made the same mistake starting out a year ago  :D

Youre just starting so try to do small but nice ollies at first instead of trying to get big air first thing. Try positioning your foot right below your front bolts for added stability.

Now the biggest issue by far is timing and not sliding your front foot. Basically a good ollie is as follows: you pop straight down with your back foot and slide up your board with you front foot (kinda like a ninja kick). Then your board comes back up to your back foot (the catch) and then you stomp it down. On your video, you pop at an angle which limits your air time and you front foot doesnt slide, it just kinda sits there, blocking your board and stopping you fromp achieving air.

My two cents anyway. you should head out to youtube there are literally hundreds of amazing tutorials on ollies made by dudes with scary capabilities. Good luck man!

Thanks man! Actually, in the past couple days, I've been skating a lot (also a lot with people who are better than me, which I find helps me learn faster just by skating w/ them).

I got my pop a bit better by using either the very tip of my toe/the ball of my foot and sort of flicking my ankle, and that helped a LOT (if that helps anyone reading this I guess). I can get a decent 4"(?) now. Huge difference.

I hadn't realized that my foot was too far back... I've still been making that mistake - oops. You're right about the angled pop too - it's probably taking away from my height, so I'll keep that in mind. Since I made this post, I've figured out the slide a bit better, but my main issue is that I keep rotating. I guess that when I slide, I slide a bit counterclockwise and it's making me turn (just thought I would mention that in case anyone else has the same issue bc I think that's why it's happening), which means I can't do ollies moving at any more than a roll right now.

Thank you for the advice! I think that a straight down pop could help my form a lot, and moving my front foot forward for stability too (to almost on top of the bolts i suppose?). Those seem like some really good tips, I'll try it out!

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 12:05:52 AM »
Your front foot isnt even back too far. I think you are leaning forward/over your board too much and it's making your pop heavy and weak. Try and keep your head centered and relax your arms and shoulders. When you set up your left arm is coming around the front of your body quite alot.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 12:17:25 AM by Sila »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 12:13:10 AM »

Truth, I'm of the opinion its much better to have low, leveled and controlled ollies than tall ones that rocket.

Head position and back position look fine, make sure you aren't sticking too far over your board in both directions. 1 thing I noticed was your rear shoulder (right), looks like it's pulled back a little towards your rear heel. Keep your shoulders aligned with your board so your body and board maintain the same forward momentum.

Eye control your head.
Head controls your shoulders.
Shoulders control your torso. - this is my shoulder position matters
Torso controls your hips.
Hips control your legs.
Legs control your feet.
Feet control your board.

Aside to that it looks like getting the timing and visualizing it as a jump. Popping your tail is less of a stomp down, more of a jump that is timed together together with your board.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 06:24:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Truth, I'm of the opinion its much better to have low, leveled and controlled ollies than tall ones that rocket.

Head position and back position look fine, make sure you aren't sticking too far over your board in both directions. 1 thing I noticed was your rear shoulder (right), looks like it's pulled back a little towards your rear heel. Keep your shoulders aligned with your board so your body and board maintain the same forward momentum.

Eye control your head.
Head controls your shoulders.
Shoulders control your torso. - this is my shoulder position matters
Torso controls your hips.
Hips control your legs.
Legs control your feet.
Feet control your board.

Aside to that it looks like getting the timing and visualizing it as a jump. Popping your tail is less of a stomp down, more of a jump that is timed together together with your board.

Golden advice, damn. If ollies had a notice like Ikea furniture this would be it

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 04:54:59 PM »
anyone got tips for leveling out ollies? i’m trying to ollie down stuff, over stuff, up curbs, and they’re getting off the ground, like 4 inches in average, but i’m still “rocketing” them, especially when i try to go down anything. is it simply getting the front foot kicking out more, or is there a deeper level to it. also shoutout to whoever posted the ben degros ollie video in the other thread, that’s a really good video.
niggling

[/quote]

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 09:43:49 PM »
anyone got tips for leveling out ollies? i’m trying to ollie down stuff, over stuff, up curbs, and they’re getting off the ground, like 4 inches in average, but i’m still “rocketing” them, especially when i try to go down anything. is it simply getting the front foot kicking out more, or is there a deeper level to it. also shoutout to whoever posted the ben degros ollie video in the other thread, that’s a really good video.

Really focus on that drag and getting the ankle folded over. Start thinking of it like a jump, imitate the movement without your board under and visualize what both feet should be doing. Dragging foot goes up diagonally up / forward, popping foot taps down AND jumps up. I have a bad habit of leaving my popping foot behind so I tend to rocket my ollies. When dragging, it helps to think about the side of the foot / little toe.

Low and Level > High and Rocket
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m