Author Topic: Online shops NOT to order from and why?  (Read 5535 times)

FUBAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 231
Online shops NOT to order from and why?
« on: November 08, 2020, 04:55:40 PM »
Sometimes you have no other choice and have to shop online. What are some places to avoid, and why? I want to steer clear if they suck. I will say this...I won’t buy a deck if they don’t list the length on line, unless I am already 100% sure I already know the length.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
Re: Online shops NOT to order from and why?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 05:52:36 PM »
The only real skate shop in my town is Skate Warehouse. If you do have to order from one, order from them. Before Covid, they did a lot for the local skate scene and would be a place to meet up for a lot of skaters.

Unless you're broke and ordering from their sale section, I'd say avoid Zumiez. Also, CCS is kind of a mess. They use to be in my town but would do nothing for the local scene.
The chillest1

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 07:37:29 PM »
I've ordered loads of stuff from Skate America - their prices were really good (Bones STF for $20) but their stock was hit or miss. I got shipped 2 wrong boards with no way to return them (using a freight forwarder and I'm in Asia). On the first one they gave me a partial rebate and on the second a full refund. If you're buying anything just check with the customer service team on chat before you place your order.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 06:55:02 PM »
Anyone have any experience with Ride RTX out of Concord NC?

I do most of my shopping at the local, in person and occasionally from Socal, Cowtown or 35th Ave online but rolled the dice on this unknown shop b/c they were one the few places that had a Crailtap 9.12 deck (CK shape) in with free shipping.

Anyway, been getting the round around for over a week, no receipt (aside from my PayPal receipt) and no shipping info. And now, no responses to my emails. Just wondering if anyone can vouch for them before I step it up a notch and file a complaint.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 08:38:23 PM »
Not me personally but someone I know just got royally fucked around by humidity.

He ordered 2 boards from them.. The jack ogrady passport pro model. Now, granted they apparently put them up for sale before they were supposed to (I guess PP shipped the boards with the last run but told shops to pull them until his pro part dropped or so. After a week with no shipping info he emailed them like half a dozen times and never got a response.

They took his money and sat there doing nothing for literally a month and didn't even respond to him until he started posting on their IG asking what was up where others could see it. Then instead of apologizing they just said "well you should have called, we don't really check our email" like the dude doesn't have a full time job to be working instead of calling to make sure they're doing theirs. Yeah that's totally acceptable for a shop selling online to not check their emails in 2021.

No "sorry, we fucked up and sold these before we were supposed to, can we refund you or do you want to wait until we can ship them" or even a fucking sticker or old t shirt thrown in the box to acknowledge it.

I know they've got some goodwill on here and a reputation for being a "core" shop but that shit is just unacceptable and genuinely pissed me off. I've had plenty of orders go awry from other shops and as long as they communicate about it (shout outs to Armin from orchard, Jon from FA, Eric at radio, and the guy at holistic who's name I forget) I'm totally cool with it, but if you just take someone's money and ignore them until they go public that's fucked up.

Never ordering from there again myself, I'm sure I can find whatever at a shop that actually checks their email.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 08:50:18 PM »
The only real skate shop in my town is Skate Warehouse. If you do have to order from one, order from them. Before Covid, they did a lot for the local skate scene and would be a place to meet up for a lot of skaters.

Unless you're broke and ordering from their sale section, I'd say avoid Zumiez. Also, CCS is kind of a mess. They use to be in my town but would do nothing for the local scene.

You in SLO? I heard SW is ending its street level retail sales.
Another shop in town might be upping its skate game tho.
ok thanks

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 09:01:48 PM »
Oh and another one to avoid - board paradise. Total crap shoot and I swore them off long ago.

They're kind of notorious for doing this weird drop shipping thing where they put a ton of shit online that they don't actually have in stock and then order it once you've paid for it. You'll get your order in about 3 weeks if the distro has it in stock, otherwise you'll randomly get refunded a month later.

Add to that the fact their prices suck and they don't answer the phone or return calls and they're just so frustrating to deal with. Also be careful if you're shopping on eBay because they have a ton of listings there and they've been known to change their name when the negative feedback starts to pile up.

I'll close with some of the BEST shops to order online from -

FA skates
Holistic
Radio (scumco owners shop)
Energy
The corner store (the best owner, dude is hilarious and has sent me more free shit in my boxes than I know what to do with)
Labor
Seasons
Krudco
Kinetic/nocturnal
Westside
Southside skatepark/shop
Switch & signal (owner even delivers same day if you're in Pittsburgh)
Sonoma coast
No comply
Moms (search day after day supply)
Union
35th Ave and 35th north
Orchard
Solstice!

and finally one of the absolute best shops and people in skateboarding - Library (politic owners shop)

I'm leaving sooooo many out, those are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head having had exceptional experiences with - good communication, shop stickers/shirts thrown into the box, or even handwritten thank you notes.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 09:10:40 PM »
Oh and another one to avoid - board paradise. Total crap shoot and I swore them off long ago.

They're kind of notorious for doing this weird drop shipping thing where they put a ton of shit online that they don't actually have in stock and then order it once you've paid for it. You'll get your order in about 3 weeks if the distro has it in stock, otherwise you'll randomly get refunded a month later.

Add to that the fact their prices suck and they don't answer the phone or return calls and they're just so frustrating to deal with. Also be careful if you're shopping on eBay because they have a ton of listings there and they've been known to change their name when the negative feedback starts to pile up.

FA skates
Holistic
Energy
The corner store (the best owner, dude is hilarious and has sent me more free shit in my boxes than I know what to do with)
Labor
Seasons
Krudco
Kinetic/nocturnal
Westside
Southside skatepark/shop
Sonoma coast
No comply
Union
35th Ave and 35th north
Orchard
Solstice!

and finally one of the absolute best shops and people in skateboarding - Library (politic owners shop)

I'm leaving sooooo many out, those are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head having had exceptional experiences with - good communication, shop stickers/shirts thrown into the box, or even handwritten thank you notes.

This is valuable information. I order from Humidity a lot and have had only positive experiences, but that story about what happened to your friend sucks. And though I love them, I'm totally not surprised they're not too professional about checking their email lol
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 09:11:55 PM »

If I'm ordering from a warehouse type place they're my preferred option. I know they're a huge "local shop killer" kinda operation but their customer service is on point and they won me over when one of the guys picked up the phone after hours and then actually left the office and went out into the warehouse and repacked my order so he could swap out a deck (toy machine monster 8.25) for one with the stain I wanted. That was pretty fucking cool of him and he was able to have a detailed conversation about individual parts and tricks in Welcome to Hell and jump off a building which I thought was really nice.

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 05:28:43 AM »
SPot and Uprise in Chicago are great shops to order from.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 06:18:47 AM »
Right on, awesome to see a list of good shops to order from (I know one exists here somewhere else, too). I kind of use the email thing as a gauge of if I want to shop at an unknown (by me) online shop by asking them the length of a deck or some other kind of annoying question. If I get a quick response, I will order. If I get nothing, no buy from me. As a business, you have to check your email and actually reply. No excuses.

I will add another one I recently ordered from which is close to my house... Prolific. I haven’t been in there yet but needed a deck with a snow storm coming so I just ordered it and all went well. I can also vouch for Library and Orchard.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 04:51:42 PM by FUBAR »

FS_Overcrook

• Rep: 10
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 06:43:22 AM »
I would also like to point out that its good to give a shop a 2-3 day grace period on any emails or social media DM's.

Covid-19 has ramped up interest in skateboarding, and most shops are extremely busy building boards for new skateboarders, giving advice to beginners, and having to chat with parents about why a board is more expensive in store than at Target. This leaves less time to sit on phones and scroll Instagram pre pandemic.

Its hard to juggle all that when the staff is less than 4 people, which most shops are running right now with the pandemic.

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 08:21:21 AM »
I would also like to point out that its good to give a shop a 2-3 day grace period on any emails or social media DM's.

Covid-19 has ramped up interest in skateboarding, and most shops are extremely busy building boards for new skateboarders, giving advice to beginners, and having to chat with parents about why a board is more expensive in store than at Target. This leaves less time to sit on phones and scroll Instagram pre pandemic.

Its hard to juggle all that when the staff is less than 4 people, which most shops are running right now with the pandemic.

I think dunk people clog up skateshops emails/DMs pretty bad too.

My local used to be decent with answering DMs at the height of the pandemic, now they always leave me on seen. I don’t ask anything specific like wheelbase or length type shit, usually just shit like “has X board drop come in yet?” so I don’t gotta waste a half hour driving there. I don’t trip over it but it gets annoying. I also understand that they’re probably overwhelmed with DMs.

Luckily Orchard and Seasons web shops are top tier.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 08:40:09 AM by YungJugg »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 09:08:11 AM »
Maybe I’m wrong, but I have a lingering suspicion that a skate shop employee’s definition of “too busy” is significantly different than most other working adults’. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 09:08:53 AM »
Yeah, nothing but great experiences with SoCal, 35th Ave, Uprise, Cowtown.

SoCal now has the deck I want but I am still unclear whether Ride RTX actually ever had the one they sold me.... Which is annoying b/c I'd be happy to pay a few $s more at this point...

Anyway, a good online store should not sell you product they do not actually have. Real time availability seems like a simple function any web store should be able to set up in this day and age.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 09:23:51 AM »
Have purchased from CowTown and Garage and had great experiences. Same with 35th.
Have an order into Labor that they fulfilled and shipped lightening quick. Just waiting for it to arrive.
Placed an order with Orchard on Sunday and I don't think it's shipped yet, but I am sure it isnt an issue.
ok thanks

Frank and Fred

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 10:07:20 AM »
Well, just tried calling Ride RTX... and guess what? Their phone number does not work. Hopefully PayPal will help me out.

So yeah, don't order from those kooks in Concord NC....  Stick to tried and true core shops. Meanwhile, I am going to order the same deck form SoCal....

thespacewolf

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 12:44:53 PM »
What I've been doing is shopping around Parade World and if I find something I want, I add it to cart, go to cart, and go to the skate shops website that it's networked with. So even if none of my locals have what I want, I'm still supporting another local in the process.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2021, 12:47:21 PM »
+1'ing that Kinetic is a dope place to order from

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2021, 01:01:29 PM »

FA skates
Holistic
Energy
Labor
Seasons
Krudco
Kinetic/nocturnal
Westside
Southside skatepark/shop
Sonoma coast
No comply
Union
35th Ave and 35th north
Orchard
Solstice!

Leaving out SoCal Skateshop is criminal. Those guys are great over there.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 01:39:08 PM »

FA skates
Holistic
Energy
Labor
Seasons
Krudco
Kinetic/nocturnal
Westside
Southside skatepark/shop
Sonoma coast
No comply
Union
35th Ave and 35th north
Orchard
Solstice!

Further backing Library. USPS fucked up my delivery and I was prepared to double down on shipping costs and they took care of it all. Library rules.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2021, 01:42:55 PM »
Wasn’t there a thread around the start of fall started with a Skateshop directory to order from? Seems like good to refresh that, but it’s also valuable to share good and bad experiences

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2021, 01:54:26 PM »
What I've been doing is shopping around Parade World and if I find something I want, I add it to cart, go to cart, and go to the skate shops website that it's networked with. So even if none of my locals have what I want, I'm still supporting another local in the process.
I do the exact same thing, so I can actually see if there’s anything additional on the shops site I want

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2021, 02:03:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I do the exact same thing, so I can actually see if there’s anything additional on the shops site I want

Same here - the needing $200 for free shipping through parade is a bit annoying; I guess they get a cut somewhere?

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2021, 02:14:00 PM »
Expand Quote

FA skates
Holistic
Energy
Labor
Seasons
Krudco
Kinetic/nocturnal
Westside
Southside skatepark/shop
Sonoma coast
No comply
Union
35th Ave and 35th north
Orchard
Solstice!

[close]

Leaving out SoCal Skateshop is criminal. Those guys are great over there.
My only issue with SoCal is that they still support a lot of the 1010-affiliated companies like Hard Luck and whatnot. Not just stocking their goods but also actively promoting them on instagram, etc.  Plus they're still rocking the lightning bolt "S" in their logo.  I would be happy to be proven wrong because I've had good experience ordering from them in the past, but as time goes on it just seems suspect to keep going with that stuff. 

FS_Overcrook

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2021, 02:55:53 PM »
Maybe I’m wrong, but I have a lingering suspicion that a skate shop employee’s definition of “too busy” is significantly different than most other working adults’.

Normally I would agree with you. However, during the pandemic shop owners/employees are fulfilling/packing large volumes of online orders daily, doing their best to order product when its available/making sure shipments aren't destroyed by the huge volume FedEx/UPS/USPS are dealing with, and helping record numbers of in store customers that are brand new to skating. Its a pretty tough job juggling all those hats on limited hours too with Covid. Shops are really busy right now so I can understand why some DM's get left on seen or read and are answered in a few days.

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2021, 03:49:12 PM »
Well, just tried calling Ride RTX... and guess what? Their phone number does not work. Hopefully PayPal will help me out.

So yeah, don't order from those kooks in Concord NC....  Stick to tried and true core shops. Meanwhile, I am going to order the same deck form SoCal....

Sucks. Great they're making Phawts again. So rad. Xoxo WP

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2021, 05:18:08 PM »
Orchard rules. Ordered on Friday and it came this morning.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2021, 06:30:09 PM »
I'll order from anywhere. Shit's fucked right now and you know most skate shop employees could make more money working at like APC or something. A cool thing someone mentioned in that parade thread is that you can go on parade, put something in your cart, it'll tell you the shop, and you can just go to the shops site. If they don't have the wheelbase you can check a) the brands site or b)tactics or SPot.

The true strat is to get this app called Shop (they were called something more interesting when I signed up). It scans your emals for orders and you can log in on a lot of skate shop sites and it saves your payment. Then the app gives you notifications at different points in the shipping process, which is life saving if dudes are grabbing your stuff off the porch

Never really had a bad experience just ordering from the "cool" shop in a city, especially when you're looking for a certain popular shape or just boards from a company that hasn't dropped in awhile or a shoe collab that's sold out quick. Respect to Arts and Rec, they had the Quasi Crockett his, Radio in Pittsburgh, they had the Quasi proto when no else did, and Holistic, who had the Sci-Fi Fantasy zip up I wanted. Premier in Grand Rapids (i think) has a fire shoe sale section; every shoe I skated in college when I was broke was from there.

Even if you get totally screwed on an online order, I think in-person vibes matter more in terms of whether or not you gonna avoid a shop. That said I personally wouldn't order from humidity based on that passport board story, so online courtesy obviously does matter.
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Frank and Fred

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2021, 07:39:33 PM »
Alright, Ride RTX finally sent my tracking info. I still don't understand why they don't send confirmation of orders, order numbers, receipts or respond to inquires but it looks like my order is actually on the way minus any explanation as to what was going on. I totally have patience as long as an actual human gives me some response....

Anyway, mad respect to Quantum Bearing Dude who helped me light a fire under their asses. I'll gnar ya when I reach Slap Pal Status. Hopefully someone else will until I can.