Author Topic: Online shops NOT to order from and why?  (Read 5531 times)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Online shops NOT to order from and why?
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2021, 08:29:33 PM »
Active is the only really bad experience I've had shopping for skate products online so don't.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2021, 09:23:13 PM »
What I've been doing is shopping around Parade World and if I find something I want, I add it to cart, go to cart, and go to the skate shops website that it's networked with. So even if none of my locals have what I want, I'm still supporting another local in the process.
Further power user tip, I put both things in the shop cart and Parade cart and see which one has cheaper shipping. Shipping has gone up due to covid so I get that but some places are out here trying to charge $12 to ship a deck to the lower 48 and that is a gouge. Even Parade's rate of $9 is on the high side.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2021, 07:37:43 AM »
Orchard really is the best shop to order from if youre in new england. You get free shipping and with it being just a mail order/Warehouse operation right now they ship the same day and it almost always comes the next day or the day after. And they always have jessup

ballintoohard

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2021, 08:03:21 AM »
Humidity and associated brands are on my shit list. I called because they had a specific Carpet deck in stock I wanted to order. I called and asked what the wheelbase was, which I get is sort of annoying. The dude groans, sorta puts the phone down but you can hear him say “whaaaat the fuck man, these fucking people” then clearly after he supposedly measures it I hear “this dude can wait”. He comes back to the phone and says “14.5” for an 8 inch deck, which is clearly wrong, I say “thanks” and before I’m done with the word he hangs up. That and supposedly looking on Rob Welsh makes me not care about their cool guy status.

Atlas had the same deck in. I called and ask, dude goes and measures and is super nice as normal. I buy and hold it for pickup and go in to grab it. The dude that was on the phone is there and instead of being an asshole chats me up about that specific deck, recommends other specific shapes, etc.

Atlas should be added to the list of awesome shops.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2021, 09:46:23 AM »
Humidity and associated brands are on my shit list. I called because they had a specific Carpet deck in stock I wanted to order. I called and asked what the wheelbase was, which I get is sort of annoying. The dude groans, sorta puts the phone down but you can hear him say “whaaaat the fuck man, these fucking people” then clearly after he supposedly measures it I hear “this dude can wait”. He comes back to the phone and says “14.5” for an 8 inch deck, which is clearly wrong, I say “thanks” and before I’m done with the word he hangs up. That and supposedly looking on Rob Welsh makes me not care about their cool guy status.

Atlas had the same deck in. I called and ask, dude goes and measures and is super nice as normal. I buy and hold it for pickup and go in to grab it. The dude that was on the phone is there and instead of being an asshole chats me up about that specific deck, recommends other specific shapes, etc.

Sounds about right. If you don't want to answer questions like that then maybe running a shop that specifically caters to a population that is notoriously fickle and OCD about their equipment isn't the best idea. Treating your customers with respect and knowing what you're selling (or being willing to learn) should be the rule, not the exception.

Atlas definitely deserves some love, like I said there's a bunch of really good ones I forgot about but I love when shop owners are nerds and want to talk gear and give their input or recommendations. Jon from FA skates is good for that, as is Damon from library. Its also really cool when shops remember you and what you like. The guy from holistic remembered that I was looking for a specific shape/stamp dlx board and let me know when one came in weeks later and Travis from corner store will let me know when something he thinks I'll like comes in.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2021, 09:51:31 AM »
You have to understand that the gear "OCD" people are not the majority and that skate shop owners despise us
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2021, 09:54:56 AM »
Have purchased from CowTown and Garage and had great experiences. Same with 35th.
Have an order into Labor that they fulfilled and shipped lightening quick. Just waiting for it to arrive.
Placed an order with Orchard on Sunday and I don't think it's shipped yet, but I am sure it isnt an issue.

Update: Orchard is so awesome. They were out of one of my items, and thought they had contacted me but hadnt. No big deal, talked to them this morning and I wasnt even upset that they were out of the item, but they hooked me up for a future discount code and upgraded my shipping - I only reached out to them because I noticed my card hadnt been charged yet. Pretty friggin cool, these Orchard guys.
ok thanks

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2021, 09:58:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sounds about right. If you don't want to answer questions like that then maybe running a shop that specifically caters to a population that is notoriously fickle and OCD about their equipment isn't the best idea. Treating your customers with respect and knowing what you're selling (or being willing to learn) should be the rule, not the exception.

Atlas definitely deserves some love, like I said there's a bunch of really good ones I forgot about but I love when shop owners are nerds and want to talk gear and give their input or recommendations. Jon from FA skates is good for that, as is Damon from library. Its also really cool when shops remember you and what you like. The guy from holistic remembered that I was looking for a specific shape/stamp dlx board and let me know when one came in weeks later and Travis from corner store will let me know when something he thinks I'll like comes in.

Dave Waite at 35th Ave. Talked to him once, super nice guy. Def have my business.

Bensquirts

• Rep: 75
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2021, 10:15:05 AM »
Anyone have any experience with Ride RTX out of Concord NC?

I do most of my shopping at the local, in person and occasionally from Socal, Cowtown or 35th Ave online but rolled the dice on this unknown shop b/c they were one the few places that had a Crailtap 9.12 deck (CK shape) in with free shipping.

Anyway, been getting the round around for over a week, no receipt (aside from my PayPal receipt) and no shipping info. And now, no responses to my emails. Just wondering if anyone can vouch for them before I step it up a notch and file a complaint.

I live about 30 minutes from this "shop" It's in a mall and not ran by skaters at all.  It is pretty shit, they mostly sale longboards.  I would steer clear of them in the future.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2021, 05:31:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone have any experience with Ride RTX out of Concord NC?

I do most of my shopping at the local, in person and occasionally from Socal, Cowtown or 35th Ave online but rolled the dice on this unknown shop b/c they were one the few places that had a Crailtap 9.12 deck (CK shape) in with free shipping.

Anyway, been getting the round around for over a week, no receipt (aside from my PayPal receipt) and no shipping info. And now, no responses to my emails. Just wondering if anyone can vouch for them before I step it up a notch and file a complaint.
[close]

Lesson learned. I will be sticking to a few core online shops but only when my three favorite locals don't have what I want.

I live about 30 minutes from this "shop" It's in a mall and not ran by skaters at all.  It is pretty shit, they mostly sale longboards.  I would steer clear of them in the future.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2021, 06:32:19 PM »
+1'ing that Kinetic is a dope place to order from

Yeah, Kinetic is fucking great. I pretty much get everything from them or Uprise. Sometimes SPoT, too. My local shop is fucking abysmal.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2021, 05:29:27 AM »
You have to understand that the gear "OCD" people are not the majority and that skate shop owners despise us

Seriously. This is like .001% of their customers. The rest are shopping for the coolest brand, the cheapest deck, the best color, or for their kids
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2021, 06:10:01 AM »
+1 for Southside skatepark/shop being good. Received my shipment within 3 days of ordering, and immediately reached out with alternatives when the wheels I ordered were out of stock.

Get hungry on it!

sketchyrider

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2021, 06:30:48 AM »

on one hand, i get a skate shop employee coming down off his morning tokes not wanting to measure wheelbase, on the other hand, i sure as fuck wouldn't buy a deck not knowing the WB.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2021, 06:40:51 AM »
Hyped to see the Kinetic love on here. I grew up in Delaware, Ben always went out of his way to be welcoming in a time when it was more common than not to get fully coolguy'd for even looking at a skate shop the wrong way.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2021, 06:56:56 AM »
I messed around seeing what most of these shops had available and I found some NB 440's on Holistic's site in a colorway from 2019 that I was really stoked on. Grabbed em quick!

I also want to add Premier in Michigan as a great shop to order from. I drive there now, but have lived out of state in the past and would go to them for lots of things I needed if the shops near me didn't have them. Web store is clean and simple and they have a rewards program that has taken 5-10 dollars off many of my purchases.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Yossi

• Rep: 20
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2021, 07:09:42 AM »
Active is the only really bad experience I've had shopping for skate products online so don't.
Same here. Years ago, I ordered some Dickies and they automatically added a free gift of a Dickies skate tool to the order. Well, apparently the pants weren't in stock so instead of cancelling the order, they charged me $15 plus shipping for the skate tool that I didn't even want. They never responded to my emails.

greenreese

• Rep: 25
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2021, 11:21:46 AM »
I called No Comply the other day to ask about the difference between their Rip Stop Cargo pants and the normal ones.  The girl on the phone was the friendliest, most knowledgeable person I've ever talked to at a skate shop.

Last year I was on a business trip to Austin and was bored.  I looked up skate shops nearby and saw No Comply was next to a skatepark.  I'd never heard of No Comply before this.  I walked about a mile and a half over there and you couldn't go in because of Covid.  So I pieced together a Christmas complete on my phone in 10 minutes, along with some Busenitz and a skate tool.  I just had them put the grip on and hand the rest to me like a lunch tray.  This is the only time I've ever set up a whole new board that felt absolutely perfect right off the bat.  I want to go back and go inside sometime.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2021, 06:22:28 PM »
Expand Quote
+1'ing that Kinetic is a dope place to order from
[close]

Yeah, Kinetic is fucking great. I pretty much get everything from them or Uprise. Sometimes SPoT, too. My local shop is fucking abysmal.

Uprise and SPoT also good. And 35th Ave. Escapist in KC also. Also had good experiences with NJ skate shop.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1535
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2021, 06:54:01 PM »
Maybe I’m wrong, but I have a lingering suspicion that a skate shop employee’s definition of “too busy” is significantly different than most other working adults’.

I think you're onto something. Many skateshops don't even open till 11 or noon. I wouldn't be surprised if 50% or more  of skateshop employees wake up early enough to get McDonald's breakfast*.

*10:30 am
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2021, 06:48:59 AM »
Love that SLAP has had good experiences with Holistic Skateshop as that’s my local. JD is solid as he will go out of his way to get you something, put stuff aside for you or hit you up when something new is in or en route.

561 is another great shop as Teak has shipped quickly and everything came in 3 days at most. He’s sent pictures through Instagram on what FA boards they had at the time.

Wish DQM was still around on Bowery as they were always nice and had solid stuff. Loved hitting that shop on weekends when I was up in NYC.

Pretty sure Emage& 303 are legit as the CO mates are always going there.

As for shops to avoid, nothing comes to mind. I’ve always had good experiences. Granted I can go to Holistic for boards and generally I go to the Vans store these days as Vans doesn’t always keep shops stocked.

slimeballs

• Rep: -33
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2021, 07:35:55 AM »
I've found many of the shops that do online sales and are normally pretty good, become bad during the holiday season

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2021, 08:20:46 AM »
Use Orchard if you're in New England. Usually comes next day, and it's a legit shop not some snow/skate massive online retailer. Can't wait til they have a storefront again, though.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2021, 09:28:04 AM »
I would also like to point out that its good to give a shop a 2-3 day grace period on any emails or social media DM's.

Covid-19 has ramped up interest in skateboarding, and most shops are extremely busy building boards for new skateboarders, giving advice to beginners, and having to chat with parents about why a board is more expensive in store than at Target. This leaves less time to sit on phones and scroll Instagram pre pandemic.

Its hard to juggle all that when the staff is less than 4 people, which most shops are running right now with the pandemic.

My local doesn’t respond to email, Instagram messages, or answer their phone. But they do make posts clowning people for caring about wheelbase. I’m not gonna blast them but honestly the excuse of “Skateshop’s are doing so well they don’t have time for their customers questions” is dumb. If I spend 3 dollars on the train and they don’t have what I’m looking for, they aren’t gonna reimburse me.

Also for clarification I don’t care if people make fun of wheelbase, but maybe don’t pepper it in with all the “thanks for supporting local business” crap.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2021, 09:45:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Same here. Years ago, I ordered some Dickies and they automatically added a free gift of a Dickies skate tool to the order. Well, apparently the pants weren't in stock so instead of cancelling the order, they charged me $15 plus shipping for the skate tool that I didn't even want. They never responded to my emails.
They got me on a buy two pairs of shoes get one free deal. One of the pairs were out of stock so no free additional pair, no free shipping, and the one pair in stock was some shoes that I wouldn't have bought at full price which they charged me for them. Terrible.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2021, 08:11:58 PM »
So this was cool. I bought an Ace LS shirt, a hat and some of those wood REAL risers from Orchard.

they threw in some ACE wax from the new  AF1 release, some AF1 stickers, and an Orchard branded unit skate tool. Pretty goddamn sick.

Im drunk but Im here to say I will keep buying from them
ok thanks

ManimalChin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2021, 10:26:10 PM »
Maybe I’m wrong, but I have a lingering suspicion that a skate shop employee’s definition of “too busy” is significantly different than most other working adults’.

How so?

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2021, 11:51:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How so?

I walked into my hometown local right at opening (love the shop btw) and opened the door to see the dude was on the couch watching tv with his dog lol. Kinda awesome tbh but it’s nothing like starting a shift at my job.

nothing's been the since same

FS_Overcrook

• Rep: 10
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2021, 05:35:53 AM »
I believe everything y’all are saying about normal times pre 2020. Keep in mind that there’s usually one owner or shop buyer that has most of the information so your average Skateshop employee isn’t the person I’m talking about below.

Covid-19 times hit shops a little different. Some shops have shortened hours to help mitigate getting sick. Some aren’t even open for in person and are online so they have more time to answer questions. Depends on the shop obviously, but I’m sure the ones that work to maintain positive customer service are getting hammered by people looking for product during the shortages and that one owner/buyer has probably been getting hit hard with social media messages/emails/calls. Throw in any time the larger city shops get a special release they get their social media and shop phone blown up because people never read captions on how to enter raffles.

It’s true the gear centric people do take up shop owners times with questions and I think the larger well known city shops shops get those questions a lot more frequently than smaller shops. That’s why they will sometimes write them off or blow off answering customers questions. They are going to make the sale regardless with the entire industry marketing towards those few shops that get that marking push. I would try and call a smaller shop outside a major city. They have more time/patience to answer questions.

Also the influx of new skateboaders (and roller skaters looking for product) definitely has Skateshop owners/employees having to give more customer service in store if they are open, more so than they ever did before. Explaining a real complete compared to a Target one 15 times a day to a parent that complains about the price starts to feel like ground hogs day.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2021, 11:56:44 AM »
I called No Comply the other day to ask about the difference between their Rip Stop Cargo pants and the normal ones.  The girl on the phone was the friendliest, most knowledgeable person I've ever talked to at a skate shop.

Last year I was on a business trip to Austin and was bored.  I looked up skate shops nearby and saw No Comply was next to a skatepark.  I'd never heard of No Comply before this.  I walked about a mile and a half over there and you couldn't go in because of Covid.  So I pieced together a Christmas complete on my phone in 10 minutes, along with some Busenitz and a skate tool.  I just had them put the grip on and hand the rest to me like a lunch tray.  This is the only time I've ever set up a whole new board that felt absolutely perfect right off the bat.  I want to go back and go inside sometime.

No comply is one of the best shops. The board wall is great. I stop by every time I go to house park.

As for everyone’s comments about humidity, I feel ya about the vibe and not ordering from them. As much as I love everything they do for their community I hate that too cool attitude. I mean after all we all are just riding wooden toys