Author Topic: Vans "Alright, Ok." (Elijah and Gilbert)  (Read 46092 times)

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 562
Re: Vans "Alright, Ok." (Elijah and Gilbert)
« Reply #120 on: November 23, 2020, 06:17:49 PM »
Berle loves to not skate in his pro model shoe. Like 60% was done in eras/authentics. I wonder if Vans ever gives him shit for it?

Style Police

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 810
« Reply #121 on: November 23, 2020, 06:19:48 PM »

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2020, 06:22:42 PM »
I liked Gilbert's part, but not as much as his others.

Berle seriously annoys me.
Gentleman ninja warlock

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -626
  • who knows
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2020, 06:24:39 PM »
could Elijah try any harder to be anyone but himself?     Cute bag for his shitty art.  what kind of Zine is this fuck stick making?  Go back to dressing like duffle or at least go back and be the trunk boy we know you are.  hard pass

you might not realize it but he and jagger eaton are essentially the same person.
where is home?

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 473
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2020, 06:28:22 PM »
It was good but didn't live up to the hype in any way in my book.

Gilbert had great stuff as he always does (the flatground heelflip over the stone bench at the beginning of one of the lines was amazing), but I don't think this was his best part.

Berle's part wasn't anywhere near what I'd been pushed to expect.

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2020, 06:29:10 PM »
Some mind blowing tricks from Elijah, but damn, high waters, tucked in wife beaters and slicked back hair. He should go back to dressing like Duffel lol. Either way, it was a good part.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2020, 06:30:31 PM »
pretty sure berle's second song was used for a nestor judkins part if im not mistaken. I dont feel like checking, but i know i heard that song before in a video

SWPhillyFloater

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2020, 06:32:47 PM »
pretty sure berle's second song was used for a nestor judkins part if im not mistaken. I dont feel like checking, but i know i heard that song before in a video

You are correct. It was also used in the credits for Vase.

Glurmpz

« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2020, 06:33:43 PM »
Lots of great tricks - Gilbert had a dope manual trick in a random alleyway no one ever bothers to skate in Vancouver. He clearly was not happy with that switch flip 5-0 that didn't really grind at the end of that one line, and I kind of like that he used it anyway. Seems more human.

I'm also firmly in the "Berle is biting Dylan" camp, so although he's sick, the whole cosplay thing really ruins it for me. I have a feeling that impossible noseblunt slide was booger, hence the angle. Nitpicking.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 11:16:04 PM by Glurmpz »

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #129 on: November 23, 2020, 06:36:40 PM »
Now THAT is what a call a conversation starter around pants.

Daniel

• Rep: 9
« Reply #130 on: November 23, 2020, 06:41:31 PM »
Mostly stoked on Greg Hunt’s work on this...

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2020, 06:42:53 PM »
Felt bad for Danny Garcia, he was getting roasted in the youtube chat. He's got a solid voice.

Gilbert's heelflip nose manual into the kinked thin bank, and b/s flip fakie nose manual switch 180 really stood out to me.

pants jokes aside, this

also nosegrind nollie flip, but I like it better when I don't know what to expect for the ender

rukes

• Rep: 221
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #132 on: November 23, 2020, 06:47:48 PM »
"If its fkn warm enough to go without sleeves, then it is fkn warm enough to go without a beanie."

Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
« Reply #133 on: November 23, 2020, 06:48:49 PM »
"i hate him"

the wife on elijah

stoked my hometown waterfall got the ender

Taughannock!

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #134 on: November 23, 2020, 06:49:13 PM »
That was ok. Gilbert will get some replay. Way too much b-roll. Ty Evans has done irreparable damage to skate videos. It's so stifling to split parts up with some random film clips, it kills the momentum. Not even Gilbert's beautiful dogs could redeem that shit. Any talk of Elijah SOTY feels like a VF Corp Psy-op. Who are they kidding? I Disagree with whoever appreciated the premiere and the marketing leading up to this. If it had just dropped randomly it would have hit way harder. And to add to everyone else's gripe, how are they going to pick that Roy track? There are so many other songs that haven't been used...incredibly dumb and lazy editing to use that song.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2020, 06:49:56 PM »
gilbert probbaly one of my favs of all time but kinda seems like he lost ‘it’d, could be from all the injury trouble he’s had. elijah is terrible
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #136 on: November 23, 2020, 06:52:11 PM »
I enjoyed it. Certainly not the mind blowing part it was built up to be, but definitely a fun watch. Biggest take away was a reminder that Justin Henry isn’t pro and that’s a travesty

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
« Reply #137 on: November 23, 2020, 06:54:05 PM »
I’m just excited people are putting Pavement in edits again.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #138 on: November 23, 2020, 06:54:10 PM »
That was sick. I liked Gilberts part. Elijahs footage was sick, but felt a bit contrived and forced.

newspaperparty

• Rep: 25
« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2020, 06:54:54 PM »
Berle loves to not skate in his pro model shoe. Like 60% was done in eras/authentics. I wonder if Vans ever gives him shit for it?

Not to mention when he does actually wear it it looks terrible on him

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2020, 06:55:55 PM »
fun fact, the building elijah wallrides at 25:34 is a Tinder office space

also elijah is so fuckn corny it hurts to watch why cant the dude just look comfortable in his own skin he's too good at skating to ruin his footage with this weird shit

Glurmpz

« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2020, 06:57:28 PM »
I wanna see Berle's part re-edited with a Bobcat Goldthwait cover of Never Tear Us Apart to really drive home the vibes.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 11:10:32 PM by Glurmpz »

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2020, 06:58:59 PM »
The whole Dylan thing is just so blatant with Berle that I’m actually surprised Dill let’s him get away with it. Especially now that he’s basically doing all of the same tricks. Dill mentioned Dylan would have someday impossible noseblunted a table one day in his Bobshirt interview.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2020, 06:59:48 PM »
Still think gilbert's skating looks better in slimmer pants despite baggy looking better on most ppl. His legs are swimming in those things.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2020, 07:03:12 PM »
Sick video

Elijah Berle is something, I never been so impressed by a skater that I thought looked so stupid lol.

Also reusing that Roy Orbison song from Vase was a violation I wasn’t expecting from Greg Hunt.

Edit - Since everyone else is shitting on Elijah let me add this: This nigga does the same shit college girls do where they dress like the female version of whoever they’re dating.

He was baby duffel, then diet Anti-hero because Crail was on their dicks, now he fake Dylan because Dill cuts his checks. I wonder what kind of track suits he’s going to wear once Palace picks him up.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:21:15 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -142
« Reply #145 on: November 23, 2020, 07:05:14 PM »
Fuck that was so incredibly sick on absolutely all fronts, and like i predicted for myself I loved it.  Gilby's edit with the Pavement track and then the D Gar enders was just bliss, his score in general. Link Wray and Roy are two of my all time favs so i felt they were perfect choices as well. I thought using the Roy song again was a little tasteless but i love Roy and that song so much i'll over look it. Justin Henry a nice touch, he rules.

I think Elijah had my favorite part of the year, but Mason had 4 good ones which is pretty damn hard to turn down. Gilby, Austyn, Jake, BDK with 2 great ones, Tom Knox... All prior mentioned being my favs out right now. Lots of great parts this year.

Was there anything not to like about that in your opinion?

Dylan is Top 3 for me so when i hear all the Elijah cosplay stuff i fully agree, some nods are totally acceptable but that was over the top. The part where he comes into the table (just like Dylan Huf tribute video),  Slicked back hair, the middle finger to the camera (self explanatory Dylan), the outfits, every one (admittedly i dress fairly similar, i'm not a pro on similar sponsors etc though either), the impossible noseblunt like Dill said (that one can be a nod), i believe it was Bill that said impossible a table the long way which someone mentioned  (that or switch what bill and Dill said)

I see just as much AVE influence in Berle though really... Both AVE and Dylan hugely influenced me as well in full disclosure
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:45:58 AM by figureitout »

Gbeerme

• Rep: -6
« Reply #146 on: November 23, 2020, 07:05:50 PM »
Could of used a team/guest montage between parts.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2020, 07:07:26 PM »
Have not watched yet, but love gilbert footage along with hunt behind the camera.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
« Reply #148 on: November 23, 2020, 07:13:12 PM »
The whole Dylan thing is just so blatant with Berle that I’m actually surprised Dill let’s him get away with it. Especially now that he’s basically doing all of the same tricks. Dill mentioned Dylan would have someday impossible noseblunted a table one day in his Bobshirt interview.
i thought he said he was planning to impossible a table long ways? i’m torn, it is blatant and obvious that he’s ripping his look but, he’s also very good at skateboarding. he doesn’t necessarily mimic the dylan arm streeze, it’s mostly clothing/appearance. if anyone else put out that part without the song/outfits/contrivance everyone would be fully on board.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567
« Reply #149 on: November 23, 2020, 07:23:35 PM »
I don’t think it’s a problem to be inspired by a skater you look up to, where they influence your skating and even the way you dress, but it looks like Elijah went to fuckyeahdylanrieder.tumblr.com and analyzed every fit Dylan wore and tried to copy all of them. Maybe it’s because Dylan’s style was so specific that it looks so annoying that you know exactly where it’s from? Even Austyn has started to drift off from Dylan cosplay to have a bit of his own style. I guess what I’m trying to say here is I like Gilbert Crockett’s dogs....