Author Topic: Sw flips?!  (Read 1957 times)

Swfrontslam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Sw flips?!
« on: November 10, 2020, 03:25:26 PM »
How the fuck do you switch flip and dont tell me its just like a regular kickflip. I’ve got regs kf’s on lock but I haven’t even come close to switch kickflip. Whats the secret?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Re: Sw flips?!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 05:09:46 PM »
The problem might actually be that you're not thinking of them as regular kickflips, one thing I always tell people is to approach them as regular kickflips that just won't work on a bad day and since most of the time they know how a regular kickflip works it seems to make everything that's wrong in their movement a lot more obvious.

Personal secrets of mine:

- shoulders completely parallel to the board, from the start and throughout the whole trick;

- big toes on both feet in line with the same imaginary axis that runs parallel with the board and right through the middle of the truck hardware, which translates as the big toe on the popping foot in the center of the tail (feels a bit like a duck stance) and the other big toe in the center of the front bolts. And then from the pop on, you use nothing but your toes.

Switch frontside flips might be easier to figure out at first if you have decent switch frontside 180's (which most people do, whereas switch flips are more straight switch ollie technique which most people miss) and are trying to figure out the flick, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend going out of your way to try them first just in case it might fuck with your technique (but they actually helped mine so what do I know).

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 12:45:01 PM »
Hard to help when we don't know what part of it you're struggling with but, when I see people not being able to do them 90% of the time they can't flick their foot off the board. Probably because they can't open their shoulders enough because it's switch. There are natural habits that switch skating lends itself to that makes learning kickflips especially difficult if you don't overcome them.

You don't need to open up like a regular flip but like silhouette says, make sure you're at least parallel. This is essential to being able to make your front foot flick in the direction you need

Don't lean your weight over the heel edge of the board, you need to stay up straight over it like you would for a regular one

It can help to point your front foot more than a regular flip

Focus on flicking your foot up to the nose and OFF the board, past the nose. Most people I see learning don't get their foot past the end of the board, or try way too hard to flick straight off the edge without dragging their foot.

Post a clip if you can
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 11:06:54 PM »
Got them this year, thought it was never gonna happen but it did. Still could be a lot better but they're consistent. What really helped me the most was to try and flick out and commit to jumping and landing on the board upside down. If you can land on half the flip its just a matter of flicking a tiny bit harder or jumping a tiny bit higher.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 06:16:12 PM »
My major issue is not staying over the board.  Not in a 360 flip “I’m constantly ahead of the board” way (although I got that too, haha).  Instead, after practicing just the flick so many times, I’ve cattle branded the purposeful bailout into to my muscle memory, to the point that it’s sort of been incorporated into the flick motion.

Am I the only one this has happened to?  Any suggestions for how to get back on track?  Or do I just quit being a little bitch about it?

commit to jumping and landing on the board upside down.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 07:00:37 PM »
While rolling up I focus on the imaginary point in space where my front foot should be when I flick, a diagonal flick out. The point is above and in front of the nose.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 07:23:38 AM »
My major issue is not staying over the board.  Not in a 360 flip “I’m constantly ahead of the board” way (although I got that too, haha).  Instead, after practicing just the flick so many times, I’ve cattle branded the purposeful bailout into to my muscle memory, to the point that it’s sort of been incorporated into the flick motion.

Am I the only one this has happened to?  Any suggestions for how to get back on track?  Or do I just quit being a little bitch about it?

Expand Quote
commit to jumping and landing on the board upside down.
[close]

It sounds redundant but it’s truly all in keeping your shoulders parallel with the board. If you unconsciously let them unwind (which I think is natural when training your body to skate switch) then the lower half of your body will certainly not be ready to land the trick, at best you will stick it and be way off balance.

I recommend experimenting with foot setups to figure out what works best for you and keeping the shoulders thing in mind constantly. My personal preference for foot setup for switch and nollie flips is demonstrated in this photo. It’s all toes which can make keeping balance tough but I think I get the best pop and flick this way.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 12:13:09 PM »

I remember you telling me the same thing about your nollie flips. I think it has to be on your mind that at no point in time during the trick your front foot should ever move downwards. You level out your switch ollie and you flick out with just an ankle motion (pointing in the direction you're going) at the peak. Extend your leg in front of you, never towards the ground and rely on finding the sweet spot on your concave to get an optimal flip.

Also catching the board with both feet but upside down after half a flip is a lot closer than catching it with just one foot after a full flip, always, it's cool seeing that brought up.

Brguy

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 09:23:31 PM »
It is like a regular kickflip, doesn't mean your feet will do them like regular, dumbass. You have normal kickflips on lock because you've spent years doing all sorts of shit on your normal stance, not because you simply know how to flick it just right in your mind. Practice and stop being a cunt.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 09:21:06 AM »
It is like a regular kickflip, doesn't mean your feet will do them like regular, dumbass. You have normal kickflips on lock because you've spent years doing all sorts of shit on your normal stance, not because you simply know how to flick it just right in your mind. Practice and stop being a cunt.

Of course here it might not apply because OP himself is complaining about the difference but for one, I appreciate it when people neglect to consider what's otherwise such basic logic, as that's less time spent micromanaging and theorizing over everything that's wrong in their execution of a trick and more time actually working the fucker out. I'd go as far as saying that's probably how some otherwise really stupid people can learn to skate really well.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 10:13:06 AM »
Can you nollie flip? If you can't do either, then how is your switch ollie? How much control do you have on it?

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 10:37:21 AM »
I did a lot of practice on the toe flick, just to get the function down. Slow at first to see where my feet needed to be. Then flicking it harder and trying to land at least near the board. Then went for getting more pop to them to try and actually land on them. I was lucky that I had a lot of spare time during this and learned them way faster than regular kickflips. In saying that... not at a decent speed. That took me a long time.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 02:22:30 PM »
How the fuck do you switch flip and dont tell me its just like a regular kickflip. I’ve got regs kf’s on lock but I haven’t even come close to switch kickflip. Whats the secret?

My theory is it could be two things (this will sound kooky, bc i am a kook):  first possibility your back leg is probably too weak, making you incapable to actually stand on it, jump off of it or land on it like you do with your front leg. Thats why you always tend to lean back onto your front leg whenever you jump or land switch.

I know this because my switch used to be completely non existent for over 10 years. Then i started to go to the gym and as my back leg grew stronger i learned a ton of switch tricks i hadn't had before. I even had switch 360 flips for a couple of years. Then i stopped going to the gym and now my switch is back to garbage.

Second your back leg groin muscles might not yet be flexible enough for you to flick switch. Stretch and force the range of motion and with time your hip will open up.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 01:44:29 PM »
Step 1: get your switch flick really good and  learn how to land on it 1 foot either foot.
Step 2: Focus on keeping most weight over pop foot. Feel like that’s the main secret to this trick. That and jump straight up but if you’re learning switch flips, you’ve probably already long mastered how to jump right.

Don’t lean over the pop foot, just have a bit more weight in it
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 02:02:03 PM by Blueabyssofthisss »