Author Topic: Found an old sony Hi8 Cam - Any good for skateboarding?  (Read 1138 times)

Oldirtypasta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Found an old sony Hi8 Cam - Any good for skateboarding?
« on: July 20, 2021, 12:45:42 AM »
Hey there!

I just found this camera in my garage, I remember my dad used to film me and the family with this thing but now it has been collecting dust for the past 15 years or so. The camera still works good so I tought it might be cool to take it out to film skateboarding  :D Just wondering what kind of fisheye could fit in there and with which adapter, also if there is a cheap option to go tapeless. Anyone can point me out in the right direction?

Thanks

Sony TR850

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
Re: Found an old sony Hi8 Cam - Any good for skateboarding?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 01:51:57 PM »
I wouldn't say it's "good" for skateboarding as it is Hi8 but could be fun to mess around with.

It looks like it has 54mm threads so you get a 54mm to 52mm step down ring with a 52mm Opteka Titanium fisheye (or one of the clones). The adapter ring is less than $5 and you can probably find the lens on eBay for $50-$100.

Oldirtypasta

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 01:06:55 AM »
I wouldn't say it's "good" for skateboarding as it is Hi8 but could be fun to mess around with.

It looks like it has 54mm threads so you get a 54mm to 52mm step down ring with a 52mm Opteka Titanium fisheye (or one of the clones). The adapter ring is less than $5 and you can probably find the lens on eBay for $50-$100.

Why do you think Hi8 is bad for skating? Thanks for the tips, will definitely look into opteka/kapkur fisheye. Also any tips to film on SD with this ? are the vx options valid for this as well ?

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 01:47:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Why do you think Hi8 is bad for skating? Thanks for the tips, will definitely look into opteka/kapkur fisheye. Also any tips to film on SD with this ? are the vx options valid for this as well ?

Not bad for skating but meant it more so that the quality isn't going to be the best when uploaded to YouTube or wherever.  And you mean to record tapeless? It's probably possible if the camera has the necessary ports. But those tapeless recorders are $300+.

lydius

• Rep: 43
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 01:25:39 PM »
imo the colors on Hi8 are especially bad, but the footage looks good if you just make it black and white in post. Jon Miner's old tapes have a sick look to them. at the end of the day, if you're motivated, you can make almost any camera's footage look good.

this is all Hi8
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 01:33:46 PM by lydius »

Oldirtypasta

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 07:58:50 AM »
Got it ! I can see what you say about the colors, I only hope the spanish sunlight will help us out a little.
I was recently discussing the tapeless option with a friend who film vx a lot and told me to consider just rewriting tapes after importing, should way less of a hassle than the vx with this camera. What you think about it?

Damn old school filming is def not for lazy people

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 11:50:22 AM »
its not 54mm threads! its 37mm lol thats the focal length you were looking at. get the Opteka 37mm fisheye aka the baby death. thread dimensions are usually beside an Ø. maybe get a 37mm filter and stab the glass out to make it wider, depending on how wide the stock lens is.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673936-REG/Opteka_OPTSC37FE_37mm_0_3X_HD_Ultra.html

don't have to buy through this link but you can use it as a reference for what lens you'd need.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Oldirtypasta

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 12:47:07 AM »
its not 54mm threads! its 37mm lol thats the focal length you were looking at. get the Opteka 37mm fisheye aka the baby death. thread dimensions are usually beside an Ø. maybe get a 37mm filter and stab the glass out to make it wider, depending on how wide the stock lens is.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673936-REG/Opteka_OPTSC37FE_37mm_0_3X_HD_Ultra.html

don't have to buy through this link but you can use it as a reference for what lens you'd need.

That was a point I was unsure about. I'll guess I'll measure the thread before buying anything, next week she'll be in my hands  ;D

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 05:02:00 PM »
imo the colors on Hi8 are especially bad, but the footage looks good if you just make it black and white in post. Jon Miner's old tapes have a sick look to them. at the end of the day, if you're motivated, you can make almost any camera's footage look good.

this is all Hi8

love me some lurknyc