Author Topic: Tom Knox - Atlantic Drift  (Read 13302 times)

HORSES

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
Re: Tom Knox - Atlantic Drift
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2020, 06:22:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the skating gets better and better everytime you watch it, it's so fucking good.   all the fisheye camera work is incredible in the lines.

However, if you watch it again and make note of every single time the camera is stationary the angle is so fucking zoomed.  what is this point of this?  did bill strobek effectively get people to ruin footage for the near future?

what the fuck is the point of of filming amazing shit, like the ollie down, bs tail, quick up to 5050 up AGAIN to 5050 bs 180 to fakie grind if you can barely see it?  so fucking lame.  it's not just that trick but almost every trick with a stationary camera
[close]

The way he filmed that line was completely fine. It's not even close to how Strobeck would film that. Jacob nails it in this part. In all the years he's putting out footage, I don't think I've heard a complaint about Jacob's VX work. There is nothing wrong with footage that is filmed in tight with zoom. Strobeck is just the extreme.
[close]

zero complaints from me on this filming for lines, it's incredible.  but i went back to watch his old footage and it's pretty obvious he has gotten influenced by the over zoom on stationary cameras.  what a fucking shame.  things that could be timeless are now obviously "late 2010s early 2020s"

Not using the zoom isn't the difference between something being timeless or not. It's the era of skateboarding we are in.

Most skateboarding that is considered 'timeless' is filmed like complete garbage. Watch any video in the 90's.

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #121 on: November 14, 2020, 07:29:18 AM »
quickest 10 mintes of the weekend. what a treat that was!

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2020, 07:34:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the skating gets better and better everytime you watch it, it's so fucking good.   all the fisheye camera work is incredible in the lines.

However, if you watch it again and make note of every single time the camera is stationary the angle is so fucking zoomed.  what is this point of this?  did bill strobek effectively get people to ruin footage for the near future?

what the fuck is the point of of filming amazing shit, like the ollie down, bs tail, quick up to 5050 up AGAIN to 5050 bs 180 to fakie grind if you can barely see it?  so fucking lame.  it's not just that trick but almost every trick with a stationary camera
[close]

The way he filmed that line was completely fine. It's not even close to how Strobeck would film that. Jacob nails it in this part. In all the years he's putting out footage, I don't think I've heard a complaint about Jacob's VX work. There is nothing wrong with footage that is filmed in tight with zoom. Strobeck is just the extreme.
[close]

zero complaints from me on this filming for lines, it's incredible.  but i went back to watch his old footage and it's pretty obvious he has gotten influenced by the over zoom on stationary cameras.  what a fucking shame.  things that could be timeless are now obviously "late 2010s early 2020s"
yeah, i think jake started doing the zoom thing when he did the hd stuff for nike and adidas

know_your_role

• Rep: 10
« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2020, 07:49:03 AM »
it doesn't get much better than this

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2020, 07:54:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
yeah, i think jake started doing the zoom thing when he did the hd stuff for nike and adidas

on second viewing i fully agree. this edit is so good i didnt notice the first time but fuck, this shit needs to die. so may clips could have been even better if they calmed sown on the zoom.

still -  a minor flaw in an otherwise great skateboarding video

BALAKOV

• Rep: 17
« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2020, 08:02:37 AM »
ART. WOW.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2020, 08:29:45 AM »
flawless victory

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2020, 08:48:02 AM »
That was exactly what Verso wanted to be.

dazedazedaze

• Rep: 7
« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2020, 10:24:25 AM »
god this is so fucking good

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2020, 10:30:28 AM »
So good. First Veep and SOTY of Indian descent in the same year?

thot juice

• Rep: -54
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2020, 10:37:58 AM »

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -41
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2020, 11:13:25 AM »
Part of the year for sure. At the risk of sounding corny, this reminded me why I love skateboarding so much.

I want to see that ollie-over-the-bin to backlip at the beginning of the line @6:00 without slo-mo. The ollie that starts off the line @3:45 is so explosive and commanding and I feel like that backlip would give off the same energy in real time.

Dead to Me

• Rep: 75
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2020, 11:28:05 AM »
I don't even know what to fucking say. SOTY has to be this dude or Mason Silva

Roger Mexico

• Rep: 22
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2020, 11:57:28 AM »
Finally got to watch this. Holy shit he's been skating some gnarly non-spots. Tom and Jake are the best.

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2020, 02:05:59 PM »
Just hook it up to my veins

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2020, 02:11:28 PM »
This was a sick part, every time I thought the line or trick was over he did something fucked. I was shouting on almost every clip

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2020, 02:18:56 PM »
I knew the 16mm clip of Tom in the train station was a recreation of the Mike Arnold clip from the first episode, but I just realized the no push ollie, bigspin, switch ollie line at the road gap spot at basically the same time was a Mike Arnold homage, too. He did that same line at Lloyds in his solo part below (2:05) and he's in the background of Tom's clip cheering.

What a brilliant part. I'm sure there are a dozen more easter eggs like this to uncover.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2020, 02:22:08 PM »
I really enjoyed how you could tell Tom actually enjoyed making the video. Just looked like he was having a good time throughout the entire video. We need more videos like this

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2020, 02:31:56 PM »
They should release a DVD of the Atlantic Drift series.

SWPhillyFloater

• Rep: 63
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2020, 03:01:24 PM »

WPG

• Rep: -3
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2020, 03:36:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve been thinking about making a bootleg for a little while but I don’t have a disc drive rn so no point
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2020, 04:05:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2020, 04:04:19 PM »
I don't have much to say that hasn't been said already. Tom Knox, Jacob Harris, and England are a match made in heaven. The skating sounds in this were particularly great.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2020, 04:26:02 PM »

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2020, 07:17:38 PM »
Magnificent skating, filming and music. This is one of the best parts of all time, without a shadow of a doubt.

What struck me in particular on the second viewing is how you really can't tell if he planned some of those last second maneuvers or is improvising, like the fs board to fakie on the brick ledge after the bs 360 down the stairs and the sw manual across the street.

In any case I've never seen anyone do anything like this on this level, it's like Video Days Gonz with Suciu level tech skills on the crustiest and most well-chosen spots imaginable.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2020, 07:26:19 PM »
Whole thing just felt like something new. Didn’t know what was coming next.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2020, 07:59:13 PM »
I don't have much to say that hasn't been said already. Tom Knox, Jacob Harris, and England are a match made in heaven. The skating sounds in this were particularly great.
My initial viewing was on my computer with my budget audiophile setup with USB fed headphone amp. There were textures to those streets flowing into my ears. Next level.

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2020, 12:42:08 AM »
Great video. Real street skating.

I have that same mop and bucket as Tom Knox. Guess i got the Tom Knox Villeeda Microfibre Mop and Buclet
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

moneen

• Rep: -41
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2020, 01:09:11 AM »
kickflip nosemanual at 4:37... the car wheel between his legs... same speed as the car... aahhhhh

https://youtu.be/ONqETis6nX0?t=277

Ishaboi

• Rep: -1
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2020, 02:29:38 AM »
What Roary McTwang said