Author Topic: Tom Knox - Atlantic Drift  (Read 13251 times)

DISTANT RUMOURS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
Re: Tom Knox - Atlantic Drift
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2020, 03:48:27 PM »
One of the best parts I’ve seen in years.
Right up there with Suciu for me.

birdplops

• Rep: 25
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2020, 04:06:58 PM »
Double tre on that blue bank. Bloody hell.

There's so much to unpack and I'm going to be watching this for years and years.

Bhaktih

• Rep: -18
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2020, 04:15:55 PM »
Bro

I was thinking this is like if Verso was trimmed a bit with some different flavor, but very similar in structure I feel

Seriously so good

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2020, 04:17:43 PM »
That was amazing. I really want to go skate. Thats all.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2020, 05:20:44 PM »
Bro

I was thinking this is like if Verso was trimmed a bit with some different flavor, but very similar in structure I feel

Seriously so good

Agreed!

daewonbong3000

• Rep: 10
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2020, 05:36:53 PM »
Agreed, this part is amazing obviously.

Ollie into the 3 foot long brick bank to 6 foot drop &
360 flip up the kinked bank, to fakie 360 flip in
Had me laughing 🤣  love this guy!

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2020, 05:50:50 PM »
I too laughed at the tre flip tre flip. Also, the tre flip to quick bs powerslide around the corner was fucking amazing.

Those spots are beyond crusty.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2020, 06:03:19 PM »
Now that’s a fucking part. Good spots, really good lines, great editing and even better skateboarding. The true lord of the line.

Give Tom all the money.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 11:58:45 PM by Chris »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2020, 06:27:09 PM »
Expand Quote
God damn. Don’t care about SOTY but Knox is the one in my eyes, without a doubt. Fastest feet in the game.

What’s the Day 1410 reference? Call back to a previous Drift episode I’m forgetting? My brain is mashed potatoes drenched in butter.
[close]
Atlantic Drift premiered 1410 days ago exactly, and in the first episode it said "Day 1" on the same screen.

Of course you remembered this haha. That’s brilliant.

I fucking loved this part. I’m seriously debating picking up a pair of his new shoes just to show support. Too much cool stuff to mention, but I also loved the kickflip over the street nose manual nollie over the street clip, the back 180 switch 5050 clips, and how he finds new shit on that rumble strip to stairs spot. I love too how he’s so willing to pick the “simple” but unexpected trick, like just doing a fakie ollie down stairs at the end of a line of being ok with a light footed switch ollie/manual versus stomping something heavy. It gives a gnarly laissez-faire feel.

AdrianLopez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2020, 06:44:13 PM »
I’m seriously debating picking up a pair of his new shoes just to show support
What is there to debate?

[...] like an individual so irrelevant to anything.

Don't be an asshole and don't yo flip! - Kyle Frederick

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2020, 06:44:17 PM »
I predict the QS Top 10 tonight will be all from this.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2020, 06:49:47 PM »
Now that’s a fucking part. Good spots, really good lines and even better skateboarding. The true lord of the line. Top notch folks.

His singles are amazing as well but I agree I think his lines are what put him head and shoulders above everyone else. He keeps you guessing with how far he’s going to go and what trick he’s going to do and where he’s going to do it. Just amazing. He had no business throwing in a sw fs bigspin on the bank and then sw manual in that one line.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2020, 06:50:53 PM »
That was one of the best parts I’ve ever seen.

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2020, 06:56:15 PM »

ballintoohard

« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2020, 06:58:10 PM »
been trying to buy an Isle deck for a long time so if anyone knows where they're in stock online, well, I'm more motivated now.

nosporlactune

• Rep: 10
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2020, 08:43:26 PM »
waited all day to watch this. what a gift. ten minutes of poetry and romance. I am speechless

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2020, 09:17:07 PM »
the skating gets better and better everytime you watch it, it's so fucking good.   all the fisheye camera work is incredible in the lines.

However, if you watch it again and make note of every single time the camera is stationary the angle is so fucking zoomed.  what is this point of this?  did bill strobek effectively get people to ruin footage for the near future?

what the fuck is the point of of filming amazing shit, like the ollie down, bs tail, quick up to 5050 up AGAIN to 5050 bs 180 to fakie grind if you can barely see it?  so fucking lame.  it's not just that trick but almost every trick with a stationary camera
where is home?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2020, 09:47:41 PM »
The combo of Tom Knox on the board and Jacob Harris behind the camera is one of two absolute geniuses you can tell really know how to work with each other, holy shit. I laughed in disbelief and replayed so many clips in this several times. Part ticks all the right boxes to be considered the 2020 equivalent of a Ricky in EE3 or PJ in WHL to me, avant-garde approach, good taste and flawless execution on both sides of the lens. I also feel like there's a lot of authenticity behind the general direction that's bound to fly over most people's heads including my own but can still be felt regardless of all the Thrasher and NB branding you could think of because the duo is just that good.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2020, 09:55:35 PM »
the skating gets better and better everytime you watch it, it's so fucking good.   all the fisheye camera work is incredible in the lines.

However, if you watch it again and make note of every single time the camera is stationary the angle is so fucking zoomed.  what is this point of this?  did bill strobek effectively get people to ruin footage for the near future?

what the fuck is the point of of filming amazing shit, like the ollie down, bs tail, quick up to 5050 up AGAIN to 5050 bs 180 to fakie grind if you can barely see it?  so fucking lame.  it's not just that trick but almost every trick with a stationary camera

The way he filmed that line was completely fine. It's not even close to how Strobeck would film that. Jacob nails it in this part. In all the years he's putting out footage, I don't think I've heard a complaint about Jacob's VX work. There is nothing wrong with footage that is filmed in tight with zoom. Strobeck is just the extreme.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2020, 11:14:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The way he filmed that line was completely fine. It's not even close to how Strobeck would film that. Jacob nails it in this part. In all the years he's putting out footage, I don't think I've heard a complaint about Jacob's VX work. There is nothing wrong with footage that is filmed in tight with zoom. Strobeck is just the extreme.
atp i would say strobeck isn't even the extreme, all the shitty ass imitators really ruined that style of filming. there are mfs who have no business behind a camera. bill can be a little (sometimes a lot) much, but dude can edit really well and has payed his dues. some videos i see now are just insanely shoddily put together and makes me bummed for the skaters

WPG

• Rep: -8
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2020, 11:27:30 PM »
My brother just watched the entire part over my shoulder. Absolute Barn burner, he said “this dude needs to thank his filmer” and I couldn’t agree more. Jacob is one of the greats
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2020, 12:51:22 AM »
I too laughed at the tre flip tre flip. Also, the tre flip to quick bs powerslide around the corner was fucking amazing.

Those spots are beyond crusty.

My favorite trick of the video.

assvogel

• Rep: 194
« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2020, 01:38:09 AM »
This part is definitely worth all the praises given here. Lines for days, style, quick feet, cold weather, rough spots and great filming and edit.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1467
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2020, 03:01:57 AM »
zero spot envy, all the skill envy

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2020, 03:09:15 AM »
A work of singular genius.

I suspect in 2030 when there are end of decade lists for best part, this will be number 1, or at least very close.

Again, not much more to say as everyone else has said it much better than me, but I will leave this photo of the Ollie over the bin to back lip here for people to appreciate:

skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Yoshi

• Rep: 0
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2020, 03:42:47 AM »
I love Tom Knox. The tune for the first part too (a remix of the song from the first Drift video?) just makes this.

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2020, 04:23:57 AM »
Watched it, loved it, began scrolling thread and see people saying it was 10 minutes. THAT was 10 minutes?!?!!! I had no idea, I was completely engrossed. Wow.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2020, 04:59:32 AM »
Watching AGAIN.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2020, 05:43:47 AM »
so much good stuff in this, best video part i've seen this year, it went by so fast and i rewinded half of the tricks, didn't feel like 10 minutes at all
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2020, 05:56:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

zero complaints from me on this filming for lines, it's incredible.  but i went back to watch his old footage and it's pretty obvious he has gotten influenced by the over zoom on stationary cameras.  what a fucking shame.  things that could be timeless are now obviously "late 2010s early 2020s"
where is home?