Author Topic: Tom Knox - Atlantic Drift  (Read 13236 times)

Grind King Rims

Re: Tom Knox - Atlantic Drift
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2020, 03:20:48 AM »
Something that struck me on repeat viewings is just how "street" this part is. There's a couple of public parks and plaza type places, but for the most part there's almost always pedestrians around, and often he has to dodge them. That's just London I guess. So densely populated. I just find that a lot more relatable and impressive than an edit with mostly California school yards.

I feel like there was something more that I'm missing about the Ben Raemers tribute at 6:47. Did Ben used to skate that spot maybe?

Another thing that I wonder about is how much filming/editing contributes to a skater's SOTY chances. Jacob Harris's Atlantic Drift edits are always gold and have such a distinct style to them. Watching Mason's Nike part, I thought the song didn't live up to the skating and having only one angle on the ender was weak. Doesn't take away from Mason's absolute tear of a run this year, he's one of the best out right now, but I wonder if his edits weren't as corporate clean, would he have an even better lead?

listentoaheartbeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2020, 05:19:18 AM »
I mean, totally, the videography is fundamental to the impact of a part, and therefore how a skateboarder is perceived. My wife actually pointed this out after watching Atlantic Drift, how much more engaging and exciting it was than Fourth Quarter, which we had watched together a few days before. She doesn’t skate so this tells a lot I reckon, especially since there is much more subtlety about Tom‘s skating than the hammers dropping left and right in a Primitive video. We rewatched Fourth Quarter afterwards and it felt so bland and boring despite the insane level of skating. I am a huge Vianna fan but even his part was almost unbearable after the impact Tom’s part had.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 06:11:15 AM by listentoaheartbeat »

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2020, 07:42:16 AM »
I feel like this part engages more of your senses because of the audible interaction between the wheels and the brick/rough streets/pavement which in turn you can feel a phantom sensation of it through your feet. Experientially loaded feedback making it more like a three dimensional skateboard video.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2020, 08:04:20 AM »
When he kickflipped into the brick bank, he hit his wedding ring on the pole on the way off, hence the subtle "ding." Loved that. The whole part impressed me and he delivered a solid ender. Rewatched it and will again.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2020, 09:08:50 AM »
I feel like this part engages more of your senses because of the audible interaction between the wheels and the brick/rough streets/pavement which in turn you can feel a phantom sensation of it through your feet. Experientially loaded feedback making it more like a three dimensional skateboard video.

What's funny is by definition (mine, at least), a good skate video is supposed to bring such stimuli. Of course how well it's done here is particularly exemplary, but it also hits quite hard in a context where only so many (big name) videos genuinely try anymore.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2020, 10:28:25 AM »
I miss England :(

uesty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2020, 11:10:58 AM »
did he do the nollie fs 360 line with someone else's board? just noticed a nike sticker on the nose after my 10th viewing.
skating another person's deck seems so impossible to me, another reason tom knox is the greatest

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2020, 11:27:14 AM »
I love that they included that flatground fakie flip bail. It felt like it was in response to the San Francisco Atlantic Drift where he does all the flatground fakie flips in a row and it seems like a trick he just never misses. That's the type of subtle editing choice that I love about this part.

https://youtu.be/3WOUiom2NAA?t=235

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2020, 11:27:38 AM »
Love the details being posted (wedding ring, mystery board), keep them coming!

JDeez

« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2020, 11:47:07 AM »
9.08 - sample from the Nina Simone track used in his Vase part.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2020, 12:02:34 PM »
Do you guys think he manual'd between the fakie tre and the stairs? I don't think so but I really can't tell.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2020, 12:17:06 PM »
Do you guys think he manual'd between the fakie tre and the stairs? I don't think so but I really can't tell.

I think there is zero chance Harris would have gone for this angle if Knox was going to manual. But might have happened accidentally, who knows? That’s the type of shit I’d only consider with someone like Knox, accidentally getting into the manual but pulling through.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #162 on: November 15, 2020, 12:21:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think there is zero chance Harris would have gone for this angle if Knox was going to manual. But might have happened accidentally, who knows? That’s the type of shit I’d only consider with someone like Knox, accidentally getting into the manual but pulling through.

I think you're probably right.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2020, 12:29:51 PM »
I can't believe this is the first Tom Knox part I've watched.

This was insane.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #164 on: November 15, 2020, 12:58:52 PM »
I knew the 16mm clip of Tom in the train station was a recreation of the Mike Arnold clip from the first episode, but I just realized the no push ollie, bigspin, switch ollie line at the road gap spot at basically the same time was a Mike Arnold homage, too. He did that same line at Lloyds in his solo part below (2:05) and he's in the background of Tom's clip cheering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jppkie6Rsvs

What a brilliant part. I'm sure there are a dozen more easter eggs like this to uncover.

Came here to post exactly this after my fourth viewing lol

Echoing the Verso sentiments too. Equally as good, if not better, but lacking any/all of the pretentiousness.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #165 on: November 15, 2020, 01:14:43 PM »
9.08 - sample from the Nina Simone track used in his Vase part.

He's also pushing down the same street as that moment in Vase

fried

• Rep: 49
« Reply #166 on: November 15, 2020, 01:47:52 PM »
It would be cool if they gave Tom soty.

With all these soty campaigns over the past 5 years, it’d be really refreshing to see it go to someone who wasn’t putting out footage/ads with the intent to win that shit.

He seems just hyped to still be able to skate, and film while being a father to three young girls.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #167 on: November 15, 2020, 02:02:11 PM »
I love that they included that flatground fakie flip bail.
Anyone who has done that trick at speed can relate to eating shit like that from it. Again, your experiences inform your reaction to this part. Priceless.

ColorWheelsGraphicsOut

• Rep: 4
« Reply #168 on: November 15, 2020, 03:25:30 PM »
This is exactly what I skate like in my daydreams.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2020, 09:16:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the skating gets better and better everytime you watch it, it's so fucking good.   all the fisheye camera work is incredible in the lines.

However, if you watch it again and make note of every single time the camera is stationary the angle is so fucking zoomed.  what is this point of this?  did bill strobek effectively get people to ruin footage for the near future?

what the fuck is the point of of filming amazing shit, like the ollie down, bs tail, quick up to 5050 up AGAIN to 5050 bs 180 to fakie grind if you can barely see it?  so fucking lame.  it's not just that trick but almost every trick with a stationary camera
[close]

The way he filmed that line was completely fine. It's not even close to how Strobeck would film that. Jacob nails it in this part. In all the years he's putting out footage, I don't think I've heard a complaint about Jacob's VX work. There is nothing wrong with footage that is filmed in tight with zoom. Strobeck is just the extreme.
[close]

zero complaints from me on this filming for lines, it's incredible.  but i went back to watch his old footage and it's pretty obvious he has gotten influenced by the over zoom on stationary cameras.  what a fucking shame.  things that could be timeless are now obviously "late 2010s early 2020s"
[close]
yeah, i think jake started doing the zoom thing when he did the hd stuff for nike and adidas
[close]

on second viewing i fully agree. this edit is so good i didnt notice the first time but fuck, this shit needs to die. so may clips could have been even better if they calmed sown on the zoom.

still -  a minor flaw in an otherwise great skateboarding video

i agree that overall it is great, skating is undeniable.  thank you making me feel like im not crazy for  noticing all the over zoom.  once you notice it it just gets worse and worse
where is home?

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2020, 12:07:24 AM »
What struck me in particular on the second viewing is how you really can't tell if he planned some of those last second maneuvers or is improvising, like the fs board to fakie on the brick ledge after the bs 360 down the stairs and the sw manual across the street.

I agree with the general sentiment, however the brick ledge is freshly waxed so I assume the Boardslide was planned. Which is notably crazy in its own right, considering he has to come out of the Bs 360 at the right point and angle.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the skating gets better and better everytime you watch it, it's so fucking good.   all the fisheye camera work is incredible in the lines.

However, if you watch it again and make note of every single time the camera is stationary the angle is so fucking zoomed.  what is this point of this?  did bill strobek effectively get people to ruin footage for the near future?

what the fuck is the point of of filming amazing shit, like the ollie down, bs tail, quick up to 5050 up AGAIN to 5050 bs 180 to fakie grind if you can barely see it?  so fucking lame.  it's not just that trick but almost every trick with a stationary camera
[close]

The way he filmed that line was completely fine. It's not even close to how Strobeck would film that. Jacob nails it in this part. In all the years he's putting out footage, I don't think I've heard a complaint about Jacob's VX work. There is nothing wrong with footage that is filmed in tight with zoom. Strobeck is just the extreme.
[close]

zero complaints from me on this filming for lines, it's incredible.  but i went back to watch his old footage and it's pretty obvious he has gotten influenced by the over zoom on stationary cameras.  what a fucking shame.  things that could be timeless are now obviously "late 2010s early 2020s"
[close]
yeah, i think jake started doing the zoom thing when he did the hd stuff for nike and adidas
[close]

on second viewing i fully agree. this edit is so good i didnt notice the first time but fuck, this shit needs to die. so may clips could have been even better if they calmed sown on the zoom.

still -  a minor flaw in an otherwise great skateboarding video
[close]

i agree that overall it is great, skating is undeniable.  thank you making me feel like im not crazy for  noticing all the over zoom.  once you notice it it just gets worse and worse

I am not the biggest fan of tight zooming but I thought it was tasteful and went well with all the fisheye footage. It's easy to lose momentum in the edit on zoomed out, steady long lens footage.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2020, 01:47:31 AM »
<3

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2020, 04:39:57 AM »
Second viewing and I’m just feeling thankful that this exists. Wow.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2020, 06:15:54 AM »
This part really emphasises the idea that no trick in your part should be considered a 'filler'.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #174 on: November 16, 2020, 08:12:16 AM »
Stoked to see brother Sparrow has a couple tricks in there, bought grilled cheese toasties off him in Austria once...if anyone is into snowboarding, his parts are always fun to watch.

I live just outside London but never really travel into town to skate, this part is making me want to go and have a little rummage around down there.

FakieFlipCG

• Rep: 36
« Reply #175 on: November 16, 2020, 09:17:28 AM »
I love how dedicated he is to flatground and how consistent he must be to throw so many into the middle of his lines. They're like mini panic moments that add to the fun and drama.

thespacewolf

• Rep: 10
« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2020, 11:17:50 AM »
It would be cool if they gave Tom soty.

With all these soty campaigns over the past 5 years, it’d be really refreshing to see it go to someone who wasn’t putting out footage/ads with the intent to win that shit.

He seems just hyped to still be able to skate, and film while being a father to three young girls.
Really wanted to him to win SOTY too, seems to be the underdog now compared to Mason at this point

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #177 on: November 16, 2020, 01:56:43 PM »
perfect part

thot juice

• Rep: -54
« Reply #178 on: November 16, 2020, 02:39:48 PM »

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #179 on: November 16, 2020, 05:49:02 PM »
I think I've watched this over 20 times already. Gets me stoked to skate!