Author Topic: Tom Knox SOTY  (Read 9377 times)

brucewillis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
Re: Tom Knox SOTY
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2020, 11:54:54 PM »
He's my SOTY for sure.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2020, 04:27:18 AM »
They are both worthy.

Again it just comes to to tech vs gnarly

Gnarly almost always wins it seems..... Hellride and all that.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Grind King Rims

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2020, 09:27:20 AM »
They are both worthy.

Again it just comes to to tech vs gnarly

Gnarly almost always wins it seems..... Hellride and all that.

Yeah you're probably right, Gall has it locked.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2020, 09:57:50 AM »
scott chegg soty
No way, man; I eat Scott Chegg for breakfast!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2020, 10:34:53 AM »
I like Mason but I never rewatch his parts. This Tom Knox part however will be embedded in my psyche for a very long time.

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2020, 10:38:43 AM »
Expand Quote
scott chegg soty
[close]

Ur an animal, scotch egg is more suitable for lunch

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2020, 11:51:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
scott chegg soty
[close]

[close]

I’m fiddin’a get that Cole S. Terol in where I can; packin’ on those COVID pounds.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

xandeo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2020, 12:36:07 PM »
I like Mason but I never rewatch his parts. This Tom Knox part however will be embedded in my psyche for a very long time.

EXACTLY THIS. I have never rewatched a whole Mason part - maybe rewinded to see something again, but not the whole part. Tom, and this part, has been on repeat a few times already. His lines and ability to surprise, especially on crusty spots, is where he leaves all the Californian skaters behind.

Also, the fact that this part was filmed during a phase where he got married and had two kids, is mind-boggling. Anyone out there with small kids at home knows how hard it is to develop, or even maintain the skate skills while dealing with the stuff at home.

Come on, Thrasher, it's time for something new and fresh! Mason will keep producing stuff in the next years, he can get it another time. Tom Knox has my vote.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2020, 01:11:30 PM »
Jesus guys he's nothing to write home about.

Can we just think about previous SOTYs? Reynolds, cardiel, way, ishod.

Knox? Nope.

Bad take

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2020, 01:28:30 PM »
last year it came down to a choice between art or war.............maybe this year they will go for art......

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2020, 01:47:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
scott chegg soty
[close]

[close]

[close]
I’m fiddin’a get that Cole S. Terol in where I can; packin’ on those COVID pounds.
Good pun

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2020, 01:48:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

EXACTLY THIS. I have never rewatched a whole Mason part - maybe rewinded to see something again, but not the whole part. Tom, and this part, has been on repeat a few times already. His lines and ability to surprise, especially on crusty spots, is where he leaves all the Californian skaters behind.

Also, the fact that this part was filmed during a phase where he got married and had two kids, is mind-boggling. Anyone out there with small kids at home knows how hard it is to develop, or even maintain the skate skills while dealing with the stuff at home.

Come on, Thrasher, it's time for something new and fresh! Mason will keep producing stuff in the next years, he can get it another time. Tom Knox has my vote.

100%.

BALAKOV

• Rep: 17
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2020, 02:50:50 PM »
As much as I'd like this to happen, I highly doubt it will.

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2020, 03:43:05 PM »
my personal choice for SOTY is Tom, but I'll be blown away if he wins it.

I think it's gotta be Mason.

but part of the year is this new Tom Knox part, hands down.
I need a coffee

trashparty

« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2020, 05:03:03 PM »

exactly. mason kills it, but theres nothing that separates him from the next guy who decides to skate really big shit that year. just kind of a cut and paste skater imo. not hating at all, mason is sick, but theres just not that much substance to his skating other than big features.

tom is one of a kind. the only comparison i can see that is somewhat plausible is suciu. and suciu sure as hell isnt skating the spots tom is. or with the same kind of creativity.

either skater deserves it, they both put in a lot of work this year, but i think it would be really sick to see Tom win it.

TheFandangler

• Rep: 14
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2020, 05:44:06 PM »
Expand Quote

Knox? Nope.
[close]
None of those dudes are touching the spots Tom Knox is skating or doing seven trick lines, except maybe Ishod and even that’s a stretch re: spots.

Yeah but would Tom Knox touch any of the spots Mason skates?

I do like Tom though. Great part and he is one of the best out right now.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2020, 05:44:49 PM »
Tom Knox should pass soty and go straight to a hall of famer. We all just want to see an atlantic drift style soty trip anyways. Best thing about Tom is that we all know he'll keep chugging on getting footage same speed regardless, dude has 3 kids already as well, unstoppable force that. I'd like to see any other 2020 candidates achieve that amount of pure gold footage while being a dad at the same time.

Plus it took a year of living in London to fully gage his ridiculousness. Walking past places completely unskatable, wouldn't even think twice about it even being a spot and realising he'd managed to make something filmable out of it is crazy.

Big fan of Mason also, but a brit soty would be kinda cool

swishfrontblunt

« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2020, 06:15:17 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

And what would Mason do at the spots Tom Knox skates? call up some fat ass old white dudes named rhino or big pink or scuba steve, sit in traffic for 3.5 hours, bondo the shit out of a spot and light it up until it looks like a skate park, then build some sort of roll in off the top of a cargo van and then and try and frontside 180 over the entire thing for the cover page of CCS dot com?

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2020, 06:29:05 PM »
I back Tom Knox for soty all day.

Also I'm glad I got to see that cover was in a line.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

WarmUpZone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 448
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2020, 06:32:38 PM »
I've rewatched this part a lot over the past two days, and I can say I see it now.

Thrasher would definitely be pulling a reverse of last year, where the psycho skater who did a big cover trick into a gnarly bank won it over the skater who put out an epic part that, really, could've been sliced into three parts over the year to make it seem more impressive. But is it that inconceivable that they change it up, especially with Phelps gone?

Mason is more 'skate and destroy', but Tom Knox has done plenty for Thrasher, and it has been a while since they have given this type of skater the award (Wes Kremer? Silas?).

I would love to see Tom win just because, unlike Suciu last year, it so much less of a campaign. It just feels like everything came together for Knox in this video and he did something special by just doing what he always does and magic happened. Whereas other skaters are trying really hard and it shows.

Truly it probably comes down to whom has committed more advertising for 2021, Nike or NB.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

FlatBeat

• Rep: -1
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2020, 06:45:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

exactly. mason kills it, but theres nothing that separates him from the next guy who decides to skate really big shit that year. just kind of a cut and paste skater imo. not hating at all, mason is sick, but theres just not that much substance to his skating other than big features.

tom is one of a kind. the only comparison i can see that is somewhat plausible is suciu. and suciu sure as hell isnt skating the spots tom is. or with the same kind of creativity.

either skater deserves it, they both put in a lot of work this year, but i think it would be really sick to see Tom win it.

I really can't agree with that. There is literally nobody in the world that can do the tricks that Mason is doing with the same amount of speed and power. There's lots of skaters who skate big stuff and/or skate fast but mason is in a league totally all his own. Some previous sotys fit into that category but mason is a once in a generation kind of skater imo.

Not to say that Tom dosen't potentially deserve it, I was on team suciu when milton won it, but I don't think mason is "copy and paste" in the slightest.

And realistically this is the Thrasher skater of the year. He embodies their ethos perfectly. No bullshit, fast, and aggressive skateboarding. He's pretty much won it in my eye unless dickson or evan put out a godly part before years end.

swishfrontblunt

« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2020, 07:17:57 PM »
 And to be honest some of the shit Tom is doing is way more hairball than Mason, more than enough crustys to roof high drops for this father of three to earn his gnar badge. Chris Jones, Remy, Casper, Mikey, all those dudes are sketchy as hell. At the end of the day he's the star of Atlantic Drift and that says more than a SoTY.

LLN

• Rep: -2
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2020, 03:27:48 AM »

[/quote]

And what would Mason do at the spots Tom Knox skates? call up some fat ass old white dudes named rhino or big pink or scuba steve, sit in traffic for 3.5 hours, bondo the shit out of a spot and light it up until it looks like a skate park, then build some sort of roll in off the top of a cargo van and then and try and frontside 180 over the entire thing for the cover page of CCS dot com?
[/quote]

Hahah I like mason’s skating but this is hilarious

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2020, 04:07:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Knox? Nope.
[close]
None of those dudes are touching the spots Tom Knox is skating or doing seven trick lines, except maybe Ishod and even that’s a stretch re: spots.
[close]

For the most part, no (although they have filmed a few clips on the same spots). But I didn’t mean to turn this into a dick measuring competition between the two skaters, I was just pointing out that Tom is in a league of his own when it comes to spot selection, albeit in a less flashy way.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2020, 06:07:16 AM »
I know which person gets me hyped to skate and skates the most absurd (and crustiest spots).

I'm just biased 'cause I'm one of those weird British people.

Also this;

Heavy Lost and Found vibes

Love the Atlantic Drift edits, gives me that feeling Blueprint vids gave me as a wean growing up.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2020, 06:38:24 AM »
I know which person gets me hyped to skate and skates the most absurd (and crustiest spots).

Also this;

Expand Quote
[close]

Love the Atlantic Drift edits, gives me that feeling Blueprint vids gave me as a wean growing up.

https://youtu.be/I5VaPQflLq0

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2020, 08:50:27 AM »
Expand Quote

Also this;

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

https://youtu.be/I5VaPQflLq0

My day's made better by someone referencing Limmy back to me.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2020, 08:52:52 AM »
Yes! I really liked his SpeedFreaks part

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2020, 09:10:21 AM »
They could have split this part into 4 parts conveniently spread out over the year, and Tom still wouldn't get it. There's no way it's not going to be Mason. The award doesn't mean much without Phelps- he was able to make more unexpected choices like Silas or Tyshawn but without him it's always just going to be the most Thrasher branded obvious choice.