Author Topic: Tom Knox SOTY  (Read 9360 times)

newspaperparty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 25
Re: Tom Knox SOTY
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2020, 09:22:41 AM »
As much as I wish this could happen, Mason kinda has it in the bag at this point. Real and Nike and him perfectly spaced out his insane parts throughout the year very strategically and I wouldn't be surprised if he comes out with one more mini part before the year is over.

I'm definitely a bigger fan of Tom and this part was amazing and 10 minutes long but it just doesn't seem likely

Quoting myself here because my prediction was right, new spitfire part up

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2152
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2020, 10:25:17 AM »
Expand Quote
As much as I wish this could happen, Mason kinda has it in the bag at this point. Real and Nike and him perfectly spaced out his insane parts throughout the year very strategically and I wouldn't be surprised if he comes out with one more mini part before the year is over.

I'm definitely a bigger fan of Tom and this part was amazing and 10 minutes long but it just doesn't seem likely
[close]

Quoting myself here because my prediction was right, new spitfire part up
And with that, it is decided (more or less.)  Sure would've been nice to see Tom hoist Rusty, though. 
I would've been keen to seen an Atlantic Drift SOTY tour.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2020, 10:24:53 AM »
So good watching him talk about putting a line together.

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/videos/out-there-tom-knox/
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

D10S

• Rep: -51
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2020, 12:09:06 PM »
ah yes, another milton vs suciu...

Burnout420

• Rep: -27
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2020, 12:32:17 PM »
Tom knox part was great but your just a hipster fuck if you think he should get SOTY over mason because he does creative tricks at rough spots.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2020, 04:11:43 PM »
You got your Tom's wrong. Tom Karangelon just put a part out with way better trick/spot selection. both are dope. Both are not SOTY material.

I 100% disagree. I’m a fan of Tom Karengelov, but for me doesn’t get better than the Tom Knox and Jacob Harris combo. But that’s the beauty of skating everyone digs different shit.

Doubt Knox will get it, but it would be sick.

trashparty

« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2020, 04:17:11 PM »
Tom knox part was great but your just a hipster fuck if you think he should get SOTY over mason because he does creative tricks at rough spots.

ur a fucking bellend

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2020, 04:25:22 PM »
tom knox does cool shit
i need a gimmick
mason silva american ditch skating so fucking boring
cant remember any tricks
and i dont even know milton martinez face because hes so blend

soty doesnt mean shit. the coolest skating will always happen somewhere else.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2020, 04:30:10 PM »
I’m cool with either guy, both are rad

PlugSkullcandy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2020, 04:57:21 PM »
Both are pushing boundaries in very different ways.

Tom’s parts are more « artistic » with the whole Altlantic Drift thing, he’s got quick feet, skates crusty spots and his lines and spot selection are top notch. I like the dynamic duo he forms with Jacob Harris, they compliment each other work. I also like he’s a married guy with kids.

Mason is more « California » but damn he’s got a great style, skates so fast, ollies into massive banks and he does sweet 360s. Yep he skates spots we already saw in videos but the tricks he does are a step forward. He seems like a genuine guy too.

Difficult to chose, if I had to vote, maybe I’d vote for Tom because I’m European and I grew up watching Lost & Found... but damn tough choice.

That said, both have a great exposure on Thrasher (interviews, parts, features...). Mason has the California / Real connexion. I rewatched Knox’s Nine Club and he said Tony Vitello asked him & Jacob Harris to have a series on Thrasher after the Vase premiere in LA.

Fun fact : Vitello seems to be a Tottenham fan (who knew that dude was into football) and Knox is from that part of London.

But yeah Mason is more « hellride » than Knox, even if he has more finesse that Milton. So yeah I bet Mason will win.

They probably don’t care that much about SOTY, they already have a great career, it’s an excuse / motivation to put out incredible parts for us skaterats. (And great exposure for their sponsors too ::) )

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2020, 03:56:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ur a fucking bellend
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

AssMountain

• Rep: 30
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2020, 06:17:45 AM »
I feel like people who think Tom Knox skates deliberately crusty spots really just don't know what street skating in England is like. Most spots are pretty fucked, its not California, or even New York. And a huge amount of towns and cities have been neglected and gone into varying degrees of disrepair. England is generally just a bit fucked, so you skate whatever you can find.

Once I was alone I just laid on the futon listening to Leonard Cohen and thinking about the other girl I liked and missed.

trashparty

« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2020, 11:03:56 AM »
I feel like people who think Tom Knox skates deliberately crusty spots really just don't know what street skating in England is like. Most spots are pretty fucked, its not California, or even New York. And a huge amount of towns and cities have been neglected and gone into varying degrees of disrepair. England is generally just a bit fucked, so you skate whatever you can find.

fr, i used to live in England, and since coming to the states every "street spot" is basically a skatepark. when i took a trip to so-cal it blew my mind that you could take 3/4 pushes and be at the end of the block.

oregon/washington is an exception tho, you boys got some crust/tough spots. Seattle is one of my favorite cities to skate because of how demanding/tough the spots can be. so much more rewarding to get a trick on something crusty/unique than it is to get something at a park level street spot. seattle is definitely on par with a lot of londons spots. still not quite as rough tho 

anyways, thats part of what makes toms skating so sick to me. making something out of nothing, and making it look damn good. he's the only person touching a lot of those spots too.

matureoftheocean

• Rep: 56
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2020, 11:31:20 AM »
My favourite is when this descends into people just sounding off their favourite skater.

SOTY has been about quantity of output thinly veiled with “quality” there have been some atrocious decisions in the past based on this format.

Mason is deserving as is Tom.

If Tom Knox won it would really mark a change in Thrashers some what, historically, blinkered view of skating (granted it will always be skewed due to its physical location) it would also establish that British/European skateboarding is on the level of past winners.

It would ultimately make clear that achievement in skateboarding isn’t based on purely shock value and instead merit that can be measured by actually quality.

It would finally put credence to the over used statement “skateboarding is an artform” as we would be measuring on technically ability, intent, consideration and composition. Not just stair counting or click bait stunts.

Rowley from England, Arto from Finland..

Dont really care about who's soty or not, but tom's part was the best part in a really long time and it would be nice if he could get it..
SUOMI | FINLAND | PRKL www.fat1937.blogspot.com

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2020, 01:02:19 PM »
Expand Quote
My favourite is when this descends into people just sounding off their favourite skater.

SOTY has been about quantity of output thinly veiled with “quality” there have been some atrocious decisions in the past based on this format.

If Tom Knox won it would really mark a change in Thrashers some what, historically, blinkered view of skating (granted it will always be skewed due to its physical location) it would also establish that British/European skateboarding is on the level of past winners.

It would ultimately make clear that achievement in skateboarding isn’t based on purely shock value and instead merit that can be measured by actually quality.

It would finally put credence to the over used statement “skateboarding is an artform” as we would be measuring on technically ability, intent, consideration and composition. Not just stair counting or click bait stunts.
[close]

Dont really care about who's soty or not, but tom's part was the best part in a really long time and it would be nice if he could get it..

True but as someone mentioned earlier, they were both California based for some Years by then.

Also Penny never won?!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2020, 01:57:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

True but as someone mentioned earlier, they were both California based for some Years by then.

Also Penny never won?!

It’s more surprising Gonz has never won

Jory4

« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2020, 11:44:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Also Penny never won?!
[close]

Very true although i don’t think SOTY was a thing until later than peak Gonz!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2020, 12:29:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Also Penny never won?!
[close]

[close]

Huh?  It’s been an award since at least 1990 (can’t be arsed to look up actual year)

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2020, 12:34:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

fr, i used to live in England, and since coming to the states every "street spot" is basically a skatepark. when i took a trip to so-cal it blew my mind that you could take 3/4 pushes and be at the end of the block.

oregon/washington is an exception tho, you boys got some crust/tough spots. Seattle is one of my favorite cities to skate because of how demanding/tough the spots can be. so much more rewarding to get a trick on something crusty/unique than it is to get something at a park level street spot. seattle is definitely on par with a lot of londons spots. still not quite as rough tho 

anyways, thats part of what makes toms skating so sick to me. making something out of nothing, and making it look damn good. he's the only person touching a lot of those spots too.
wouldn't say that's the case. i've grown up skating in seattle and I think people exaggerate when they talk about how "crusty" it is. especially now that tech has taken over the city, so much of the city has been revamped with smooth, grey, boring concrete. london is about 10x crustier than seattle

Jory4

« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2020, 12:40:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Also Penny never won?!
[close]

[close]

[close]

Huh?  It’s been an award since at least 1990 (can’t be arsed to look up actual year)

Sorry, my bad memory, I thought it started around 95 but you’re right it’s 1990. I didn’t skate from 92-97 so wasn’t paying much attention!

Gonz is a glaring omission!

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2020, 12:58:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I live in England and even the skateparks are shit, the ledge at my local is sticky af and everything is rly steep and close together

Jory4

« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2020, 02:02:24 AM »
That’s so true... I’ll try and post a pic of the super crusty bowl in my town.  The flat bottom is super rough and there’s gaps between the coping and the wall / platforms

This is my local slappy spot - it’s as good as it gets round here.......

Edit.... her you go. Zoom in on the coping on the left!

« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 02:14:41 AM by Jory4 »

Brguy

« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2020, 06:21:05 AM »
You guys really didn't get how SOTY and Thrasher work after all this years or you guys just have a hard on in rooting for the underdog? And the attempts to bash Mason are ridiculous, he's not relatable but he goes fast, stomps hard and has a great trick selection and creativity considering the spots he skates, people seem to forget your options dwindle down as you do bigger stuff.

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2020, 06:22:31 AM »
That’s so true... I’ll try and post a pic of the super crusty bowl in my town.  The flat bottom is super rough and there’s gaps between the coping and the wall / platforms

This is my local slappy spot - it’s as good as it gets round here.......

Edit.... her you go. Zoom in on the coping on the left!

Mine is shit but yours takes the cake

SSBSTRS

• Rep: 6
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2020, 07:05:37 AM »

The fuck are you talking about? You've got to be the only person alive who thinks this.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2020, 07:08:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ur a fucking bellend

Thank you for making me google that word and now having a new insult.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2020, 07:13:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The fuck are you talking about? You've got to be the only person alive who thinks this.

He's not, I agree there. But I do think Mason is really good

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2020, 07:28:31 AM »

there's some interview where he vaguely mentions that about the spots and how it's basically just making the best out of a bad situation - everyone in england knows they're pretty shit, but at the same time you just make do with what you've got regardless of if it's crusty or not and for the most part nobody here is bothered about it. lot of streets and roads are straight fucked up here, kind of terrain that rattles your feet into being numb if you skate it but as long as they're driveable/walkable then local councils aren't going to fix it.

on the plus side of it all though, i find it often ends up for a more enjoyable watch on film, and can often be more fun to skate if you're having to work your way around cracks and find the right routes. given alot of it is pretty old architecture too, they often end up inadvertently being pretty good spots. i live in a northern town that has a pretty big mining/shipbuilding heritage, and there's a bunch of random spots that are leftovers from that era, or just random shit in general:

some drain access in the middle of a roundabout, full pyramid:

not sure on the history of this, kinda near where an old mine was so i'd imagine it was access or storage or something:

no idea on the history/reasoning of this but its a fun spot:

shit like this which from the late 1800s would have held ships whilst coal trains above would deposit into it:

plenty of other spots but i dont wanna derail the topic, it's just funny that people think knox etc are purposely hunting out these crusty spots when a fair majority of them are shit you'd pass on a daily basis. knox obviously puts some effort in to find the spots he skates, but i doubt he's making a conscious effort to find crusty ones on purpose.

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2020, 08:07:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

there's some interview where he vaguely mentions that about the spots and how it's basically just making the best out of a bad situation - everyone in england knows they're pretty shit, but at the same time you just make do with what you've got regardless of if it's crusty or not and for the most part nobody here is bothered about it. lot of streets and roads are straight fucked up here, kind of terrain that rattles your feet into being numb if you skate it but as long as they're driveable/walkable then local councils aren't going to fix it.

on the plus side of it all though, i find it often ends up for a more enjoyable watch on film, and can often be more fun to skate if you're having to work your way around cracks and find the right routes. given alot of it is pretty old architecture too, they often end up inadvertently being pretty good spots. i live in a northern town that has a pretty big mining/shipbuilding heritage, and there's a bunch of random spots that are leftovers from that era, or just random shit in general:

not sure on the history of this, kinda near where an old mine was so i'd imagine it was access or storage or something:

shit like this which from the late 1800s would have held ships whilst coal trains above would deposit into it:

plenty of other spots but i dont wanna derail the topic, it's just funny that people think knox etc are purposely hunting out these crusty spots when a fair majority of them are shit you'd pass on a daily basis. knox obviously puts some effort in to find the spots he skates, but i doubt he's making a conscious effort to find crusty ones on purpose.
post more! loved the photos/info

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2020, 10:28:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You have not finished. Ok.