Author Topic: Tom Knox SOTY  (Read 9362 times)

Double Thick Filbert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -56
Re: Tom Knox SOTY
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2020, 11:06:40 PM »
tom is great maybe the most tasteful spots, style and trick selection currently.

But most the tricks in tom's part would be some creative hipster throwaway footage for mason while he is on the way to do some actual challenging and dangerous shit.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2020, 03:49:44 AM »
@notmikerusczyk @Sila alright, here's a couple more. can't promise they will be as interesting as the last few but some of em have nice backstories.

here's one people have been skating recently; crusty as fuck, fairly tall ledge, long wallride running the length of it and about as many heroin needles as you'd expect:

the interesting part is that the section which everyone skates now is actually the second half of it, the first half of it was demolished late 2013/early 2014 but the other half of it used to be double the size and perfectly sheltered. back then (2012/2013) the second half of it never even got skated.

was down there the other day just fucking around and my friend mentioned his dad used to work there, and something about the structure of the roof being the largest in the UK/built or designed in Canada. seemed interesting so I looked it up, turns out it had the largest one piece roof in Europe at the time, used 15 miles of steel tubes, weighed 8000 tonnes, equivalent size of 3 football pitches and the structual design for it was so complex that NASA’s space computer in Houston was used for the design. the roof itself was assembled on the floor and then jacked up into position.

here's what it looked like in 1977

and what it looked like in 2013, the enterance to the spot was down the right hand side of it

here's another set of spots i can only describe as the council randomly throwing banks on things (not that im complaining), some of them are fairly new ie the one with the channel gap, the others probably predate me even existing.

here's one i spotted from the bridge

i tail dropped it the day we scoped it out then went back a few days later for a noseblunt yank in. unfortunately no real way to get a good roll away from it so it just ended up being roll it to the kink off the end and have a homie catch you.

it's not all doom and gloom, we have a bunch of plazas yet one of the most skated things at them is this gap to electric box.

scraped a front lip on it at the start of the year

last one, no words needed. 60s brutalist architecture in full effect, unfortunately slated for demolition relatively soon.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2020, 06:25:16 AM »
^^^^ these are awesome. Thanks for posting the photos and giving a run down. It keeps me hyped for when I can travel again. I love hearing back stories and people's perspectives on spots. Appreciate it.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2020, 06:28:00 AM »
some quality posts, cosmicgypsies!

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2020, 10:12:28 AM »
^^^ love seeing the architecture in other countries. the UK has so much character, makes the US seem so boring. thank you!

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2020, 10:27:45 AM »
Expand Quote
They are both worthy.

Again it just comes to to tech vs gnarly

Gnarly almost always wins it seems..... Hellride and all that.
[close]

Yeah you're probably right, Gall has it locked.

Couldn't agree more. Uncle Freddy gots this thing signed, sealed, and delivered.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2020, 10:55:33 AM »
London is smooth pearly skate heaven compared to Ireland
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Dordsman

• Rep: 0
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2020, 01:57:27 PM »
It's long overdue. His Speed Freaks part is legendary.
I created an account just to say thanks for this comment, highlight of my day...

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2020, 07:14:51 AM »
Thought some people might enjoy a dedicated crust thread.....

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114062.0