Author Topic: XLR Microphone for Filming Skating  (Read 146 times)

nollieboulala

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
  • fuckin wheel fell off
XLR Microphone for Filming Skating
« on: April 07, 2024, 08:55:05 AM »
Curious what people who aren’t filming VX or HPX/HVX are using for microphones? I’ve used Rode video micro and video mic pro for smaller 3.5mm input cameras, but I’m looking into using a higher quality XLR mic on a FS5 M2 setup. The reason I’m trying is it seems like the fs5 m2 is the most recent and highest quality camera with an actual traditional zoom rocker grip handle (like camcorder style like VX or HPX). Would love to hear anyone’s experience on mics or cameras really, thanks.

BAGHEAD CREW

• Rep: 9
Re: XLR Microphone for Filming Skating
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 01:00:03 PM »
I’ve been looking at a few.

The Sony ECM XM1 is supposedly really good as it’s also specifically made for Sony. You’ve also got the Sennheiser MKE 600 which I believe is the top tier microphone used by anyone currently using the FS5/FX6 from what I’ve read.
@bagheadcrew

Gino's Back 180 Nosegrind

• Rep: 34
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 01:05:46 AM »
Curious what people who aren’t filming VX or HPX/HVX are using for microphones? I’ve used Rode video micro and video mic pro for smaller 3.5mm input cameras, but I’m looking into using a higher quality XLR mic on a FS5 M2 setup. The reason I’m trying is it seems like the fs5 m2 is the most recent and highest quality camera with an actual traditional zoom rocker grip handle (like camcorder style like VX or HPX). Would love to hear anyone’s experience on mics or cameras really, thanks.

I'll push my glasses up and say that title would probably go to the FX6 and you still need the PZ lens to utilize it.

I use the Wooden Camera VX mic on my FX3 and used it with an XLR to 3.5mm adapter on an FS7 as well. If you're looking for a "VX" sound then a stereo mic is something you should seek above a "higher quality XLR mic". I believe you should prioritize a stereo sound for something like skateboarding which is not an activity you want sound recorded uni directional. You want to hear the board bouncing off everything instead of just one direction. The 3.5mm jack stereo mic I used gave me a lot better results for skateboarding than any higher end XLR shotgun mic I could have used. I've noticed a lot of skate filmers get an FX6 and slap on one of the generic XLR shotgun mics and frankly they sound dull as fuck.

I believe this was shot on an FX6/FS7 + XLR shotgun mic combo. To me, it's very lifeless and isolated. You still hear the important parts but it's not the same sound if you're used to a VX1 mic.

I shot this with an FX3 + VX Mic. I also shot with the VX Mic on a GH5 + A7S2 as well and preferred what I got from it than any of the shotgun mics (Rode Video Pro + Go, which you say you used) I used on the same cameras. Shotgun mics are great for a speaking source that is coming from one direction. Use it for an interview, they're amazing. For capturing an actual environment with loud ass skateboards clacking in every direction, consider a stereo mic.

I guess this is an unpaid endorsement for the Wooden Camera VX mic. I've shot commercial projects where I had to go out in uncontrolled scenarios and could use the VX Mic sound I captured as actual background audio in the final cut. Had I used a shotgun mic I would be far more limited in what could be utilized and it generally sounded very underwhelming, it would've been the wrong tool. I'm sure you can also find a lot of comparable stereo mics to use as well. For skateboarding, in my experience you get better results choosing the right formats for recording rather than using gear that is perceived as "higher end"
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 02:49:38 PM by Gino's Back 180 Nosegrind »

green

• Rep: 12
    • ig avatar image
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 12:20:43 PM »
This one is identical to the Sony ECM-MS2 for 1/5 the price. Highly recommend – just know it requires two XLR inputs, and it's a mid-side mic so you need to decode the stereo signal in post:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/E-IMAGE-EPM-20-Uni-directional_62091780407.html

nollieboulala

• fuckin wheel fell off
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 07:36:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'll push my glasses up and say that title would probably go to the FX6 and you still need the PZ lens to utilize it.

I use the Wooden Camera VX mic on my FX3 and used it with an XLR to 3.5mm adapter on an FS7 as well. If you're looking for a "VX" sound then a stereo mic is something you should seek above a "higher quality XLR mic". I believe you should prioritize a stereo sound for something like skateboarding which is not an activity you want sound recorded uni directional. You want to hear the board bouncing off everything instead of just one direction. The 3.5mm jack stereo mic I used gave me a lot better results for skateboarding than any higher end XLR shotgun mic I could have used. I've noticed a lot of skate filmers get an FX6 and slap on one of the generic XLR shotgun mics and frankly they sound dull as fuck.

I believe this was shot on an FX6/FS7 + XLR shotgun mic combo. To me, it's very lifeless and isolated. You still hear the important parts but it's not the same sound if you're used to a VX1 mic.

I shot this with an FX3 + VX Mic. I also shot with the VX Mic on a GH5 + A7S2 as well and preferred what I got from it than any of the shotgun mics (Rode Video Pro + Go, which you say you used) I used on the same cameras. Shotgun mics are great for a speaking source that is coming from one direction. Use it for an interview, they're amazing. For capturing an actual environment with loud ass skateboards clacking in every direction, consider a stereo mic.

I guess this is an unpaid endorsement for the Wooden Camera VX mic. I've shot commercial projects where I had to go out in uncontrolled scenarios and could use the VX Mic sound I captured as actual background audio in the final cut. Had I used a shotgun mic I would be far more limited in what could be utilized and it generally sounded very underwhelming, it would've been the wrong tool. I'm sure you can also find a lot of comparable stereo mics to use as well. For skateboarding, in my experience you get better results choosing the right formats for recording rather than using gear that is perceived as "higher end"

Appreciate the response! A friend has that VX mic and I wasn’t particularly blown away. That said I didn’t use it myself, so I’m down to give it a go. And you’re definitely right, I just didn’t mention the fx6 cuz it’s 6k just got the body and seems crazy to even film skating with that haha.

nollieboulala

• fuckin wheel fell off
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2024, 07:47:07 PM »
I just realized I didn’t mention I will be using the mic primarily for shooting long lens, so further away from the skater. I have a separate setup that I’m using for fisheye, which would probably benefit from the VX mic it sounds like.