Author Topic: External Recorder Megathread (Bypass Tape Deck for VX)  (Read 12750 times)

spicearoni

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • @nicfromkenora
Re: External Recorder Megathread (Bypass Tape Deck for VX)
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2021, 08:06:33 AM »
Adding to the info:
I recently picked up an FS-5 and it was a certified fancy looking paperweight. Mine would not allow me to record clips longer than 30 seconds before the unit would freeze up and require me to pull the battery out. It would also freeze when attempting to transfer logged clips to the computer. I’ve heard of people swapping the internal HDD for an SSD but I haven’t gone down that route yet. In the meantime I picked up a Sony HVR-MRC1 which records onto compact flash and works like a charm.-also keeps your clips organized on the card. My reason for going tapeless was because my vx1000 had a tape stuck inside and the camera would not detect it for an eject.. I ended up removing the tape deck altogether from my vx1000 to get rid of the cameras 5 minute auto shut-off and now my rig is a lot lighter as well! Hope this helps someone in the future

sn00p

• Rep: 25
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2021, 08:20:02 AM »
Adding to the info:
I recently picked up an FS-5 and it was a certified fancy looking paperweight. Mine would not allow me to record clips longer than 30 seconds before the unit would freeze up and require me to pull the battery out. It would also freeze when attempting to transfer logged clips to the computer. I’ve heard of people swapping the internal HDD for an SSD but I haven’t gone down that route yet. In the meantime I picked up a Sony HVR-MRC1 which records onto compact flash and works like a charm.-also keeps your clips organized on the card. My reason for going tapeless was because my vx1000 had a tape stuck inside and the camera would not detect it for an eject.. I ended up removing the tape deck altogether from my vx1000 to get rid of the cameras 5 minute auto shut-off and now my rig is a lot lighter as well! Hope this helps someone in the future

Post a flick! I’m curious to see what it looks like with no tape deck.

spicearoni

• @nicfromkenora
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2021, 09:14:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Adding to the info:
[close]

Got a homie to film me do a lil test line the other day!
https://streamable.com/y432q1

sn00p

• Rep: 25
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2021, 06:34:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Adding to the info:
[close]

[close]

I meant a picture of the setup. Dope line though.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2021, 08:14:16 AM »
Adding to the info:

I really want to see this now.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

spicearoni

• @nicfromkenora
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2021, 01:55:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Adding to the info:
[close]

[close]

[close]

I meant a picture of the setup. Dope line though.

Ohhh my bad lmao I’ll send a pic when I get home. It’s basically just black when you look in the tape deck now but I’ll shoot a pic for sure

RoedGroed

• Rep: 60
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2021, 08:54:55 AM »
Hey - been a while since i posted, but had to come back for some advice.

I have a vx1000/vx2000 and Datavideo DN60 setup. I have problems capturing. It shows up in the capturing proces, but the footy is always digi-eror and it wont capture either. I simply cannot film and import and i have no idea where it goes wrong

I tried
- switching all the cables.
- using different cameras (different vx1000s and vx2000s)
- switching CF cards, found the exact ones recommended.
- different computers and programs for capturing

Im starting to think it could be my device, but i really really hope its not. Attatched photo of footage as it looks

RoedGroed

• Rep: 60
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2021, 08:57:00 AM »

suckmadeck

• Rep: 27
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2021, 10:07:56 AM »
Hey - been a while since i posted, but had to come back for some advice.

I have a vx1000/vx2000 and Datavideo DN60 setup. I have problems capturing. It shows up in the capturing proces, but the footy is always digi-eror and it wont capture either. I simply cannot film and import and i have no idea where it goes wrong

I tried
- switching all the cables.
- using different cameras (different vx1000s and vx2000s)
- switching CF cards, found the exact ones recommended.
- different computers and programs for capturing

Im starting to think it could be my device, but i really really hope its not. Attatched photo of footage as it looks

Hmm, seems like a recorder issue to me especially if it's happening from 2 different cameras. It could need a firmware update, a clean inside, or repairing.

spicearoni

• @nicfromkenora
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2021, 05:58:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Adding to the info:
[close]

I really want to see this now.

Forgot to post a pic aha RIP tape deck

al_hodgson

• Rep: 9
    • OWL avatar image
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2021, 04:45:02 PM »
Hey all. A bit late to the party on this thread but it's great to see the Tapeless world growing so quick.

Just thought I'd add The SONY HVR-DR60 to the mix that some may know about, but it hasn't been mentioned on here and seems to come up occasionally on eBay etc (here's one in the UK going right now) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125073551675?hash=item1d1ef6f13b:g:bpsAAOSw9Elhrhcd

Not to be confused with the Datavideo DN60, the DR60 was released at the same time as the MRC1, and is another FireWire recorder that records to an apparently shock resistant internal harddrive as opposed to CF card.
You can buy a dual screw tripod plate to mount to VX and it looks pretty seamless. https://www.instagram.com/p/CN-CFiXlBpa/

I've seen a decent handful of these pop up on eBay over the past year, and a friend of mine Nick Viewegg uses it regularly - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEtdWZLaZbg

I'm kinda suck at staying on top of SLAP, but if anyone has any questions about the DN60 please feel free to hit me up on Insta - https://www.instagram.com/al_hodgson

cheers!

pj chad

• Rep: 7
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2021, 05:41:42 PM »

Thanks Al! I’ve always wondered about this one, especially if there would be any issues/drops with recording if there are shakes/sudden movements since it uses an HDD. Glad to hear that doesn’t seem to be the case.

I was also worried about the fact that once the HDD dies, that’s the end of the device. I looked through the service manual, and this is apparently the exact HDD that they use: MK6008GAH-60GB. There’s a good amount on eBay so that shouldn’t be a problem to replace it. Just wish the device itself was easier to find.

Fun fact - the HDD in this unit is the same one used in the original iPod Video

al_hodgson

• Rep: 9
    • OWL avatar image
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2021, 06:26:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks Al! I’ve always wondered about this one, especially if there would be any issues/drops with recording if there are shakes/sudden movements since it uses an HDD. Glad to hear that doesn’t seem to be the case.

I was also worried about the fact that once the HDD dies, that’s the end of the device. I looked through the service manual, and this is apparently the exact HDD that they use: MK6008GAH-60GB. There’s a good amount on eBay so that shouldn’t be a problem to replace it. Just wish the device itself was easier to find.

Fun fact - the HDD in this unit is the same one used in the original iPod Video

No worries. Yeah Nick told me it's pretty good and as far as I'm aware he's had no issues.
Interesting about the HDD, especially that it was the same as the iPod. The Unit looks pretty compactly designed but I'm sure there's a way in to replace the HDD if needs be.

Also, for anyone who wants the most recent firmware update for the DN60 (2014 - Firmware DN605021609155512) you can download it here. It also contains compatible card info relevant to 2014: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9h09ompks617xql/AACvu7I9lzWWegve9qq7JaFXa?dl=0

Apparently its possible to use some CF to SD adapters to use up to 64GB SD cards with the DN60. Someone sent me what they use and said it worked for them (image attached).

Hope that's all helpful for some people.

suckmadeck

• Rep: 27
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2022, 01:16:59 PM »
Ay up ya'll. Just realized my FS100 came with the Firmware 3.0 update disk. Decided to archive it on archive.org so anyone can download it and do the update themselves (should possibly help any weird bugs you might have.) Also comes with some datasheets, compatibility charts and instructions in multiple languages and shit.

https://archive.org/details/focus-enhancements-fs100-3-0firmware

Gawd69

• Rep: -1
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2022, 01:36:06 PM »
So question about the Sony hvr-mrc1, I don’t know if anyone else has experienced this…
I bought two new fire wires because I was having a issue with the one that came with the device where it wouldn’t record at all, so I updated the firmware to the 3.0 and bought a new fire wire and boom it worked. But as soon as I turned the device off last night and tried to use it again today it didn’t work again. My camera says dv in and everything. So I opened the second cable out of the two I ordered and it worked again. So my question is could there be a issue with the device? Are FireWire cables easy to fry? Is it my vx frying them? This is a annoying and expensive problem to have to try and fix everytime I want to use the device… thanks in advance

pj chad

• Rep: 7
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2022, 08:52:07 PM »
Put the VX in vtr mode, and you should see the DV IN show. Gently wiggle around the tip of the FireWire cable - does the DV IN disappear and come back? Alternatively, do you have another camera or can you use a friends to test to see if your HVR/FireWire works consistently?

I had an issue where my hvr wouldn’t record at all with my VX. It would freeze up when I turned it on. It turned out to be a damaged DV port. Kerry was able to fix it for me.

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2022, 02:36:29 AM »
For any homies looking to buy a HVR-MRC1 at the moment, a bunch of them have come up on eBay it seems.

However I will add if anyone somehow has a spare cradle (HVR1 I think is the part name) I would like to buy one off ya, as I have the front part of an MRC1 and not the cradle on a spare I have.

Safe.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Gawd69

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2022, 05:59:53 PM »
Put the VX in vtr mode, and you should see the DV IN show. Gently wiggle around the tip of the FireWire cable - does the DV IN disappear and come back? Alternatively, do you have another camera or can you use a friends to test to see if your HVR/FireWire works consistently?

I had an issue where my hvr wouldn’t record at all with my VX. It would freeze up when I turned it on. It turned out to be a damaged DV port. Kerry was able to fix it for me.
So I did this and it still says dv in I tried it on my gl1/gl2 and my trv950 and same results, I’m really hoping it isn’t the device itself, as of now I have one fire wire cable that has worked everytime I’ve used it so far, but it seems when I plugged it in on my other cameras the cable stopped working, when you sent your vx into Kerry how much was it for him to fix the FireWire port? And also what vx do you have 1k, 2k, 21k? I have a 2000 thank you for responding so quickly I appreciate it!!!

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2022, 01:28:53 AM »
So question about the Sony hvr-mrc1, I don’t know if anyone else has experienced this…
I bought two new fire wires because I was having a issue with the one that came with the device where it wouldn’t record at all, so I updated the firmware to the 3.0 and bought a new fire wire and boom it worked. But as soon as I turned the device off last night and tried to use it again today it didn’t work again. My camera says dv in and everything. So I opened the second cable out of the two I ordered and it worked again. So my question is could there be a issue with the device? Are FireWire cables easy to fry? Is it my vx frying them? This is a annoying and expensive problem to have to try and fix everytime I want to use the device… thanks in advance

Do you power it up with the device AND VX on at the same time OR do you have them plugged in, turn the MRC1 on, then the VX? I wonder if you can actually short the cable or at worst, the device by turning them on or plugging them together if they're both on? I know that's the issue with plugging a camera into a FireWire port on a PC or Mac and having them both on can cause that issue, not sure with these devices though.

I'm wondering if someone else could chime in on this.

But yeah other than that, it could be your FireWire port on the VX. I spoke to someone a while back with a similar issue to you, IIRC they replaced the cable and it was fine. I imagine FireWire port damage wouldn't be intermittent and usually is a fault of; it either works or doesn't. Then again I might be wrong there, too.

Gawd69

« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2022, 06:33:21 AM »
I turn on the mrc then my vx, I wonder if I turn the device on first then plug the FireWire into the device and the camera then turn the camera on. I tried yesterday with one of the firewire cables and it worked. I’m hoping it’s a good cable and it continues to work!!

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2022, 10:29:06 PM »
I turn on the mrc then my vx, I wonder if I turn the device on first then plug the FireWire into the device and the camera then turn the camera on. I tried yesterday with one of the firewire cables and it worked. I’m hoping it’s a good cable and it continues to work!!
Always plug the device into the camera before turning anything on. Power on the MRC1 first, wait til it's done starting up, then power on the VX. When you're done filming, power off the device first before the camera. Been using the MRC1 for over a year and I love it. This whole part was shot with the vx1000/MRC1 combo (minus the 16mm of course)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvumkcZSb7I

Gawd69

« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2022, 09:26:15 PM »
Thanks for everyone who helped I figured it out, I ended up with two bunk FireWire cables, but I’m curious to see how everyone has them mounted on their vx’s with a light because I tried last night and it was a nightmare lmfaooo

upload image online

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2022, 02:40:20 AM »
Thanks for everyone who helped I figured it out, I ended up with two bunk FireWire cables, but I’m curious to see how everyone has them mounted on their vx’s with a light because I tried last night and it was a nightmare lmfaooo

upload image online

Personally I would never mount it on top of the camera nor in the way you have done, but that's just me. It does keep the weight centered I guess?

I bought a longer mount for my TRV, so that it can go slightly ahead of where the screen flips out. This is it if you want to buy one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08RJN9XZR/?coliid=I1N86H9II10339&colid=2D55WYJVRE7Z3&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The way that mount works means you can just simply slide it to a more convenient spot.

Gawd69

« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2022, 09:34:30 AM »
I will order one of those^ that looks like the best option I’ve seen yet thank you!

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2022, 02:37:46 PM »
maybe attach the light to some kind of necklace? lol

Just bought a sony hvr mrc1, getting back into the game after giving up for like 5 years.

Anyone got recs for replacement vx1000 batteries? don't wanna spend a lot but don't want shit to explode on me
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

Swizard

« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2022, 04:16:31 PM »
Hey everyone…

So I recently picked up an mrc1, set it all up and it wouldn’t record. I figured it was probably the cable and bought another one. Seemed to work fine on both my VX2100e but the first day I went out filming the unit wouldn’t recognise that it was connected to the camera.

Got home and tried my other VX2100 and working fine until I tested it again and same thing.

Tried both cameras plugged into premiere pro and nothing. It’s like the unit has fried both FireWire ports.

Have been lurking this thread for a while do have been powering on the unit, then the camera.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Have ordered another cable but I’m worried I’m going to have to replace both FireWire ports and I’ll still be in danger of frying them every time I use it.

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2022, 02:53:42 AM »
Hey everyone…

So I recently picked up an mrc1, set it all up and it wouldn’t record. I figured it was probably the cable and bought another one. Seemed to work fine on both my VX2100e but the first day I went out filming the unit wouldn’t recognise that it was connected to the camera.

Got home and tried my other VX2100 and working fine until I tested it again and same thing.

Tried both cameras plugged into premiere pro and nothing. It’s like the unit has fried both FireWire ports.

Have been lurking this thread for a while do have been powering on the unit, then the camera.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Have ordered another cable but I’m worried I’m going to have to replace both FireWire ports and I’ll still be in danger of frying them every time I use it.

I've never heard of a device shorting the ports, but there could be a possibility. I wouldn't know how it could do so, but maybe it could be a surge through the cables?

There is probably someone who could explain how, so hopefully there is. As long as you've been putting the device on and then the camera, then there shouldn't be any probs.

It could be luck of the draw both camera's FireWire ports are fucked, however.

Swizard

« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2022, 05:38:16 AM »

I've never heard of a device shorting the ports, but there could be a possibility. I wouldn't know how it could do so, but maybe it could be a surge through the cables?

There is probably someone who could explain how, so hopefully there is. As long as you've been putting the device on and then the camera, then there shouldn't be any probs.

It could be luck of the draw both camera's FireWire ports are fucked, however.

Thanks for the reply, I actually figured it out late last night. The second cable that I bought has bent the pins inside the ports on both cameras. They both worked fine plugged into my Mac previously.

I think I've managed to bend them back on one of them but waiting on a new cable to test it (ordered the 35cm right angle one that you linked earlier in the thread).

If it doesn't work, the replacement is pretty cheap and it's just removing some screws and connecting a ribbon cable to replace.

Annoying as hell though, I really want to get out and film with this thing!

yeayeaman

• Rep: 6
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2022, 12:45:29 AM »
https://shop.orqafpv.com/collections/ghost-irc

Apparently Orqa (?) has taken over ImmserionRC and it's available for pre-order again.

Marsellus Wallace

• Rep: 2
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2022, 01:02:00 AM »
https://shop.orqafpv.com/collections/ghost-irc

Apparently Orqa (?) has taken over ImmserionRC and it's available for pre-order again.
thanks for the share! but Im a bit concerned with the quality loss of the Immersion RC Powerplay since it doesn´t record via firewire - any slap pals using this thing?