Author Topic: External Recorder Megathread (Bypass Tape Deck for VX)  (Read 13101 times)

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: External Recorder Megathread (Bypass Tape Deck for VX)
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2022, 10:16:34 PM »
Ran into some trouble recently with my MRC1… sometimes when I go to record, it just crashes. This hasn’t happened until recently. We kept filming and everything ended up okay, but, I’d rather not keep waiting for it to turn back on. Seems kinda sketchy.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

pedro_mayn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2022, 04:54:33 AM »
Ran into some trouble recently with my MRC1… sometimes when I go to record, it just crashes. This hasn’t happened until recently. We kept filming and everything ended up okay, but, I’d rather not keep waiting for it to turn back on. Seems kinda sketchy.
This has happened to me before and I think it's a possibility of two things; dodgy batteries or the connection is dropping out somehow whether it's the cable or the FireWire port/s themselves.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 07:18:32 AM by pedro_mayn »
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2022, 06:43:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This has happened to me before and I think it's a possibility of two things; dodgy battery/ies or the connection is dropping out somehow whether it's the cable or the FireWire port/s themselves.

That’s pretty much what I was thinking, but I figured it would happen way more often instead of just when hitting record. I have another cord, I’ll see how it goes

this_VX_is_dead

• Rep: 0
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2022, 05:19:05 AM »
If anyone is filming with a vx2100, this might help:
http://www.instagram.com/p/CT9AUwXMECs/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I filmed like that for roughly 1.5 years, but unfortunatly even the external recorder was unreliable as explained in this post:
http://www.instagram.com/p/Ca6YmG1MIdt/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2022, 02:22:06 AM »
Yeah my mate has similar trouble with mounting it on the VX2, but the mount he has means it can go on the tape deck side and seems to work well. It's just a ballache to click record at times.

I get some Nintendo Power Glove vibes from the way you have it.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Takawaka

« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2023, 03:29:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Cheers to everyone sharing their experiences with these devices. So far they seem to be a bigger hassle than mini-dv tapes, regardless of eliminating dropouts. Transitional video tech can be frustrating.
[close]

Hey mate, I have the same issue with my sanDisk card, just wandering if ur was the 133x or a different type?

I wouldn't necessarily say that, my gripe post was probably the worst thing I had with the device par the batch of Sandisk cards that might've been too 'new' for the MRC1 (which I swapped for Transcend cards). I fixed the issue with a format on the device and it seems to be back to normal now.

Probably had a lot of times coming home to seeing glitches on tapes and/or the VX deciding to shit out on me when I'm out than I've had issues with the MRC1, but that's probably my luck with VX1s haha.

globe fusion

• Rep: 3
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2023, 12:33:46 PM »
i just got the datavideo DN-60 (switching over from the capture cam)

just also switched up computer and using premiere pro 2022.

is it me, or is the option to capture on premiere no longer available?

i believe you can't import thru memory card directly on this.

any tips on how to import/capture the clips?

globe fusion

• Rep: 3
« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2023, 06:03:57 PM »
besides the ergonomic features of HVR-MRC1, are there any other disadvantages of this one compared to the datavideo?

Deepsearch

• Rep: 2
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2023, 05:42:28 AM »
I have a FS-4 HD, I replaced the HDD with a CF card reader and it works just fine, the only thing is that every time I connect the Firewire cable to the camera and press rec on the recorder it crashes and restarts.
It used to do this also with the HDD so I tried changing memory type.
Has this ever happened to anybody? is there a way to fix it?

cherrybomb

• Rep: -1
« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2023, 10:42:49 AM »

Unfortunately I heard you can't capture on Premiere anymore. I'd recommend capturing through Quicktime, (youtube search and you'll find quickly) iMovie, or use an older macbook with Final Cut Pro 7. Good luck

linty

• Rep: 36
« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2023, 08:08:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Unfortunately I heard you can't capture on Premiere anymore. I'd recommend capturing through Quicktime, (youtube search and you'll find quickly) iMovie, or use an older macbook with Final Cut Pro 7. Good luck
Quicktime deinterlaces and compresses the footage. It uses Prores 422 but if you're looking to capture everything uncompressed I would avoid using it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 12:10:00 AM by linty »

01100110 01101101 0110110

« Reply #131 on: April 12, 2023, 04:56:34 AM »
So for the uninitiated like myself ... is there a 'quick guide' for getting my VX1 set up tapeless? Some specific things I can buy, plug and play and have a ~~relatively~~ good chance of success out the box? Better yet, something some legend out there makes and sells on their Etsy that just works?

I'm ok with AV capture and the quality loss because a SD card workflow seems way more convenient than capturing tapes. And I am broke and spending shit loads on an ancient Firewire capture device seems counter intuitive (for my applications anyways). But the quality of that Matt Gowrig Krooked part blew me away for something shot on a 28 year old camera. I would be seriously interested to know the exact camera, DVR and render settings used. I wouldn't blame them for keeping it close to their chest though lol.

Should I just buy a Immersion RC Powerplay DVR and some AV cables that the internet tells me works and wing it? How are people mounting the Powerplay to a VX1? Attaching it to the hotshoe seems a bit dorky and kind of a pain in the ass. I don't need to look in the screen while filming so attaching it to the camera body or tape deck seems like a decent option.

Thanks to everyone out there doing the hard R&D to work this stuff out.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 05:30:37 AM by 01100110 01101101 0110110 »

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2023, 07:00:34 AM »
So for the uninitiated like myself ... is there a 'quick guide' for getting my VX1 set up tapeless? Some specific things I can buy, plug and play and have a ~~relatively~~ good chance of success out the box? Better yet, something some legend out there makes and sells on their Etsy that just works?

I'm ok with AV capture and the quality loss because a SD card workflow seems way more convenient than capturing tapes. And I am broke and spending shit loads on an ancient Firewire capture device seems counter intuitive (for my applications anyways). But the quality of that Matt Gowrig Krooked part blew me away for something shot on a 28 year old camera. I would be seriously interested to know the exact camera, DVR and render settings used. I wouldn't blame them for keeping it close to their chest though lol.

Should I just buy a Immersion RC Powerplay DVR and some AV cables that the internet tells me works and wing it? How are people mounting the Powerplay to a VX1? Attaching it to the hotshoe seems a bit dorky and kind of a pain in the ass. I don't need to look in the screen while filming so attaching it to the camera body or tape deck seems like a decent option.

Thanks to everyone out there doing the hard R&D to work this stuff out.

Put a strong ass rubber band on that shit, my homie does it and seems to work. If you don't want the worry of rubber band related woes, then you could get a mount for the side or something that goes off the cold shoe mount?

Otherwise just look at the vids on the MRC1, DN-60 or other variants and go from there. I use the MRC1 for when I need to film on VX and it works just fine, although the prices seem to vary a lot. Compared to forking out on tapes though, it's preferable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey5UAqgjnFU

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LqM8zafsdY&t=1s

Probs a lot more vids on it these days and all, but have a look through this subsection on Slap for more as well.

BBB

« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2023, 11:23:21 PM »
ive got an issue with the playback with my mrc and my vx. maybe you guys can help me out:
my vx1000 (PAL) doesnt say "DV IN" when i put it in player mode. since the mrc is working and playing back fine with other VXs, im pretty sure DV IN is not enabled on mine.
do you have any advice i could get it to work? i think there are devices to enable DV IN but i guess there pretty hard to come by or even purchase. would it be possible to just swap some boards around with a a VX where the playback is working?

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2023, 01:26:45 AM »
ive got an issue with the playback with my mrc and my vx. maybe you guys can help me out:
my vx1000 (PAL) doesnt say "DV IN" when i put it in player mode. since the mrc is working and playing back fine with other VXs, im pretty sure DV IN is not enabled on mine.
do you have any advice i could get it to work? i think there are devices to enable DV IN but i guess there pretty hard to come by or even purchase. would it be possible to just swap some boards around with a a VX where the playback is working?

That's strange, don't think I've heard of that.

There are devices, which are these old remotes that were used by technicians to repair cameras. You can find them on eBay from time to time and there is a service manual with the codes, but I've heard you've got to be careful cause you can really fuck up your VX if you do it wrong. I can't remember the name, but I do remember seeing them show up on eBay for £50+

I was using a TRV as a second angle/playback cam with my MRC1 - could just get a cheap, small cap cam and just do that. It'll be worth it going through whatever BS ya gotta do to get it working with the VX.

I tried to find the control, but I forgot its bloody name.

DoubleGhetto

• youtube channel avatar image
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2023, 07:28:43 AM »
been using the datavideo dn 60 for over a year and its the best device . using aa batteries makes it so lightweight and portable and it doesnt waste your vx batteries / the only con is that you have to capture from a firewire port still since the audio gets ruined if you transfer with a cf reader

kindersan

« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2023, 01:03:04 PM »
Is there a way to change the recording format on a VX1000 from 32kHz to 48kHz?

This operating guide says it has both:

https://vx1000.narod.ru/downloads/Sony_VX1000_OpGuide.pdf

DoubleGhetto

« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2023, 01:38:28 PM »
Yes it can be easily done from the device

kindersan

« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2023, 01:43:05 PM »
Yes it can be easily done from the device

Could you please explain how?

Thanks

DoubleGhetto

« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2023, 02:51:54 PM »
sorry i missunderstood your question . i thought you asked if the device could record both  pal and ntsc . . in order to do it  you have to turn on the device go to set up then click system set up / then click set signal type , then click on 60hz, 50hz dv or 50, 60hz hdv

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2023, 01:32:27 PM »
Expand Quote
I am thinking about "building" my own external recorder. I have an extra firewire card on hand and i think about buying an raspberry pi 4 compute module and io board which has an pcie socket. Unfortunately nobody has tested an IEEE 1394 card on the pi. At least the card works without any problems on linux. The initial costs to test it would be:

Compute Module 4GB with WIFI ~50 Eur (maybe 2GB would be enough)
IO Board ~38 Eur
(PCI-E Firewire Card ~15-20 Eur)

If that works one could think about designing a case for 3D printing but one would need to get the card in a good position by using a pci-e riser ribbon cable (9 Eur) and figure out how to mount it properly. Maybe one could simply remove the slot bracket for the pc case and hot glue it somewhere or use the mounting holes for the slot bracket to mount it to a self designed case. The whole case and mounting situation is what I am the most unsure about.
In case one figures out all of the above a sufficient power bank(12V, 2.1A is needed for the board when using the pci slot) would add 60 - 80 Eur, at least that was the first one I discovered. I think my pcie firewire card is pcie x1 so it should be limited to 12V and 0.5 A. PCI-E x4 is limited 2.1A and 12V so that might not work.

IMO the steps would be:
1.) Try to get the card working on the pi
2.) Setup a hot spot on the pi or connect it to a hot spot from mobile phone
3.) a) Setup web server which emits dvgrab commands
     b) Setup video preview in web server
     c) Optional: Simple hardware buttons via GPIO to start/stop recording and a simple led
4.) Design case.

If 1 works, then 2 and 3 would be really straight forward. 4. would be a pain in the ass. At least for me as I am completely unfamiliar with 3D printing and designing for it. And I don't know the cost for such a print (and highly likely failures). There are some models for printing cases for the pi + io module on which one could base a design.

In the end my guess is that the price would be approximately the same like a lot of these recorders (250-300), at least in material cost for developement, but one would have some advantages:
1.) Possible to directly record to usb stick
2.) Preview on mobile via web server
3.) No mechanical hdd like in some of those recorders
4.) Maintainable. One should be able to swap all of the components.

Disadvantages:
Basically the biggest problem would be to get it compact and robust. Figuring out the whole mounting of the card, the power bank and the pi and then mount it to the camera. And I have absolutely no idea about modelling for 3D printing. Even the cooling of the pi might be a problem. The power bank is also comparable heavy and large (20.9 x 19.6 x 5.2 cm; 450 Grams). For reference the fire wire card is 1cm x 6.5 cm x 9.5 (hxwxl) without the slot bracket.

It is very likely that I think way too much ahead, after all nobody has even tried to get this kind of card working on a pi let alone with success. One might need to compile the kernel to have the necessary modules for firewire.  Unfortunately I won't have time for any of this before mid October as well and I am still not sure if this is even a good idea. I just saw the pi 4 compute module has a pcie port and this immediately came to my mind. This post somehow completely lost structure..

Edit: If it does not work on the pi an alternative one could use an Odroid H2+ (that is x86) or something similar with a m2 slot. But the power supply would be a lot more difficult. One would need an extra source of power for the m2 to pcie adapter. And I don't know anything about that stuff. But apparently people even got GPUs working on it (with computer power adapters).
[close]

I have actually had this exact project idea and purchased the cm4 module and io board along with 2 different pcie firewire cards utilizing different chipsets and had no luck getting drivers to work with arm linux firewire.  I am by no means a linux expert, I'm 100% linux newbie, but I did recompile the kernel a few times including all possible firewire related items I could identify through my research and the best I got was the card was recognized and listed with the linux lspci command but dvgrab could not utilize the card at all.  I then moved on to the other option you mentioned and searched around for affordable x86 based single board computer options like the Odroid.  I can't remember exactly why I wrote that option off, maybe because of price or something the manufacturer responded to me via email about it's m.2 capabilites, who knows, you mentioned people got video cards working so I imagine any card should work.  I ended up settling on the Zimaboard which is $99 and uses passive cooling which would be great for this project, as well as a full size pcie slot which you could attach an extension to then plug the firewire card in and build it all into some nice neat 3d printable box of some sort.  Then all you need is to add a battery and setup linux to boot and start up dvgrab I guess.  A small cheap screen of some sort would be awesome as well assuming you could keep the costs down. Zimaboard was a kickstarter project that I wasn't early enough to get in on but they did just start allowing preorders from their website and mentioned shipping shouldn't be too far off.

I am injured right now and found my raspberry pi 4 cm + io board and pci firewire card and just googled it again.
Turns out someone got the generic firewire_ohci driver running on that setup (https://github.com/geerlingguy/raspberry-pi-pcie-devices/issues/443). Apparently i was missing the 'dtoverlay=pcie-32bit-dma' in the boot/config.txt at the time i tried 2-3 years ago. I still have to figure out also the actual necessary steps I did, e.g. I don't know if certain udev rules where actually necessary. And i had a few different problems.
Capturing from tape seems to work fine with my TRV-900 with dvgrab, but I can only "trick" it capturing live video by setting the TRV into playback mode starting dvgrab and switching into standby, then it seems to record mostly fine. Otherwise it only records 3-4 frames no matter what. I guess some control signals are not transmitted correctly or I am missing some settings on the TRV. But I am afraid of frying the port on the camera. Right now I can't tell where the actual problem is it could be either the Camera/Card/Cable/Driver or a combination of all. I just ordered a similar native PCI-E card mentioned in the Github issues on AliExpress + Cables and see where it goes. If it should work well I might look into finding a PCI-E riser + a smaller battery then my powerbank and figure out how to design a case but that would be in some far distant future.
While the current setup is nowhere close to being robust enough for using it in action it might be still cool for capturing old stuff without having to deal with getting a firewire driver running on modern windows, where I had several driver issues a few years ago already. If anybody is interested I might write more detailed instruction.
Would be cool if anybody has a pi5 + firewirecard and could test it there but i guess the breakout boards for the pcie slot are not (widely) publicly available (yet).

Edit: To be clear. This is by far no means cost effective or a replacement for the external recorders in the foreseeable future.

I guess you ruled out the odroid because of powersupply issues of its m2 slot. You would need to have an adapter with an additional powersupply. Never heard of the zimaboard, will look into it.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 493
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2023, 01:47:37 PM »
Anyone ever used a Blackmagic video assist with hdmi to composite adapter?

Stuhfy

• Rep: 4
    • YouTube avatar image
« Reply #142 on: March 09, 2024, 01:50:15 PM »
What's the ID on one of those batteries?

kindersan

« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2024, 10:46:30 AM »
Anyone here using the ImmersionRC Powerplay? The quality of my footy is clearly worse and I recently saw this clip on IG where you can see they're using this device in the first fisheye clip and the quality is really good. I also have a friend who  uses it on a VX2100 and he doesn't get any quality loss (and we're both using the same cable). Can't figure out why do I get such a drop in quality. 2nd IG link one of my clips for reference

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4wf_-Bpohv/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cz4KUq2qTEV/

BootsWithTheFerg

• Rep: -19
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2024, 10:57:28 AM »
So this is where the SkatePerception cats ended up. Nerd on bros I don't understand any of this.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #145 on: March 29, 2024, 05:57:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
This has happened to me before and I think it's a possibility of two things; dodgy battery/ies or the connection is dropping out somehow whether it's the cable or the FireWire port/s themselves.
[close]

That’s pretty much what I was thinking, but I figured it would happen way more often instead of just when hitting record. I have another cord, I’ll see how it goes

For anyone wondering - it was the connection between the two halves of the HVR-MRC1. Think a pitbull hair or some dust got between the two.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2024, 05:23:53 AM »
Anyone here using the ImmersionRC Powerplay? The quality of my footy is clearly worse and I recently saw this clip on IG where you can see they're using this device in the first fisheye clip and the quality is really good. I also have a friend who  uses it on a VX2100 and he doesn't get any quality loss (and we're both using the same cable). Can't figure out why do I get such a drop in quality. 2nd IG link one of my clips for reference

with how smooth some of that looks im inclined to say its been AI upscaled

zapruder

• Rep: 11
« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2024, 08:09:30 PM »

couple of us were thinking he was possibly using the recorder as a monitor. the footage quality is far beyond what that piece of shit is capable of and those guys know better than to be using it in a serious capacity

kindersan

« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2024, 03:58:08 AM »
Yeah good point. My viewfinder ribbon cable is fucked and I could do the same given I grabbed a Datavideo DN60  ;D