Author Topic: Black hardware that stays black?  (Read 3937 times)

TurdyBird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
Re: Black hardware that stays black?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2020, 05:37:27 PM »
This isn't entirely about the subject topic but closely related:

Anyone get hardware from a hardware store (lowes, home depot, local shop)? Any tips?

I have all the parts to make a second setup except hardware. My local skate shop (skate warehouse)is kind of far and has a car pickup only, with limited hours.

Didn't want to start another thread about hardware, seemed silly.
The chillest1

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2020, 05:41:55 PM »
This isn't entirely about the subject topic but closely related:

Anyone get hardware from a hardware store (lowes, home depot, local shop)? Any tips?

I have all the parts to make a second setup except hardware. My local skate shop (skate warehouse)is kind of far and has a car pickup only, with limited hours.

Didn't want to start another thread about hardware, seemed silly.

Maybe some decent nuts and bolts out there but make sure they have the nylon lock as per skate hardware, or you will have them always coming undone.  If not, you could always use glue or loctite or something on them too.  That could be more trouble than it is worth, but if you have time, check out the options.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2021, 01:15:04 AM »
One of the great unsolved mysteries of skateboarding.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2021, 03:08:01 AM »
ha i swear pre 2018-19 this never happened..
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2021, 05:25:32 AM »

I thought I was the only one that thought that. Lol I swear this wasn’t a thing back in the day.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2021, 05:29:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought I was the only one that thought that. Lol I swear this wasn’t a thing back in the day.
You guys must have never run Lucky then.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2021, 10:51:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
You guys must have never run Lucky then.

that’s the ONLY hardware I used to run....but they are harder to find than they were 5-6 years ago. Especially after switching from 1” Phillips to 7/8” Allen.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Threadz

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2023, 08:50:12 PM »
2 years on... Has anyone solved this mystery yet?

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2023, 11:26:07 PM »
2 years on... Has anyone solved this mystery yet?

Shake Junt

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2023, 01:47:44 AM »
To avoid bolts to turn silver simply sink them bit deeper into griptape while setting up board and when they eventually turn silver use black nail polish to color them black.

burner

• Rep: 91
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2023, 03:16:51 AM »
Expand Quote
bolts under the grip
[close]

This is the correct answer  8)

"Griptape over the bolts, only 4 bolts, 1,2,1,2".

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2023, 03:28:53 AM »
Nothing lasts forever, and we both know parts can change.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2023, 04:01:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
bolts under the grip
[close]
[close]

This is the correct answer  8)

"Griptape over the bolts, only 4 bolts, 1,2,1,2".

make the board super light, griptape yo feet, throw this thing all over the place, make it come back, make it dance, film me a video part and keep it pushing

this set up video is a core memory for me
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 462
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2023, 05:13:59 AM »
Two or three years in and I’ve been running the same set of Bender hardware. Still black, no issues.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2023, 06:29:26 AM »
Two or three years in and I’ve been running the same set of Bender hardware. Still black, no issues.

Bender's been drying up. I don't where he's at with the brand. He still post local skate history stuff, but I haven't seen the product in a while. Though you can still find it online, at smaller skateshops

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2023, 07:59:03 AM »
Gripping over the bolts seems like such a sponsored skater move. How do you get your trucks off when you wanna set up a freshy? Just set up a xmas complete every time? I can't see Stevie ripping that grip off to unscrew the bolts.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2023, 08:16:50 AM »
Gripping over the bolts seems like such a sponsored skater move. How do you get your trucks off when you wanna set up a freshy? Just set up a xmas complete every time? I can't see Stevie ripping that grip off to unscrew the bolts.
i assume they just remove the nuts and go their merry way. griptape adhesive is pretty sticky and probably holds the bolt in place to where you can still loosen the nuts but not turn the entire bolt+nut.

Or they stab at the griptape with a screwdriver until it connects with the bolt lmao

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2023, 10:37:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i assume they just remove the nuts and go their merry way. griptape adhesive is pretty sticky and probably holds the bolt in place to where you can still loosen the nuts but not turn the entire bolt+nut.

Or they stab at the griptape with a screwdriver until it connects with the bolt lmao

Yeah that makes sense. I was picturing Stevie stabbing the grip with the screwdriver tho lol.

But also, do you just leave the bolts on the deck? Set up new hardware every board? I guess if you're only running two bolts per truck you get two boards worth of hardware from one package. If you keep the bolts just imagine how much grip would build up on them after two or three boards. Seems ridiculous. Gripping over the bolts is insane.

IpathCats

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2023, 10:54:38 AM »
"bones medium size bushings"

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2023, 11:18:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah that makes sense. I was picturing Stevie stabbing the grip with the screwdriver tho lol.

But also, do you just leave the bolts on the deck? Set up new hardware every board? I guess if you're only running two bolts per truck you get two boards worth of hardware from one package. If you keep the bolts just imagine how much grip would build up on them after two or three boards. Seems ridiculous. Gripping over the bolts is insane.

stabbing is def how i do it. as far as leaving bolts , it depends. sometimes i just leave the bolts in if they are about done from me stripping them like an ape. also the grip doesnt build up, i can scrape or alcohol off any residue without issue.
not to be that guy, but its not as hectic as it seems. most people mention not having any landmarks for foot placement when it comes to not having bolts visible

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2023, 11:43:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I feel like he likely just leaves the bolts in the old board, but you could also push the hardware from the truck side of the board after the trucks are off so that it either peels up the grip or pokes/tears through the grip

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 462
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2023, 05:19:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bender's been drying up. I don't where he's at with the brand. He still post local skate history stuff, but I haven't seen the product in a while. Though you can still find it online, at smaller skateshops

Sad to hear. I hope it keeps going though. It’s a good quality product that comes from a place with a lot of love for skateboarding and its history. I might have to place an order soon.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2023, 05:47:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hit up @MOE SYZLAK his shop has them.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2023, 07:02:54 PM »
I scooped some roughneck hardware awhile back and I like how the bolts are flat black and not painted. They have stayed that way so I'd say worth a shot.