Author Topic: Everything B L A N K s thread  (Read 26459 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Everything B L A N K s thread
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2020, 01:57:40 PM »
Can anyone recommend some UK based quality blank decks?

I’ve been looking at the route one blanks but not sure whether to try them or not

The reviews of their blanks are really good, mellow concave and short to average wheelbase if you like that.  Nothing that says where they are from, but one guy likened them to Toy Machine in feel (before Toy went to China)

https://www.routeone.co.uk/products/route-one-mini-logo-og-shape-skateboard-deck-8-25-001090380

Not sure what these guys do, but they are in country manufacturers.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5lZBnJlAuU/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2020, 02:22:14 PM »
Expand Quote

I’ve been looking at the route one blanks but not sure whether to try them or not
[close]

The reviews of their blanks are really good, mellow concave and short to average wheelbase if you like that.  Nothing that says where they are from, but one guy likened them to Toy Machine in feel (before Toy went to China)

https://www.routeone.co.uk/products/route-one-mini-logo-og-shape-skateboard-deck-8-25-001090380

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5lZBnJlAuU/

None of mine have that stamp
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2020, 02:47:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Two different UK options.

Route One blank first link.

Then instagram link are a different company Gnosis who are a deck manufacturer in the UK.

https://www.instagram.com/gnosismfg/

It probably didn't seem clear from the initial post, sorry.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2020, 05:48:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Are moose blanks any good
[close]

I saw this interesting post about them, take it or leave it...

https://www.skateone.com/forum/discussion/2327/moose-blanks
[close]

Hold up .... There's another skating forum?

Right here
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

2pushSetUp

• Rep: 4
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2020, 11:15:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Two different UK options.

Route One blank first link.

Then instagram link are a different company Gnosis who are a deck manufacturer in the UK.

https://www.instagram.com/gnosismfg/

It probably didn't seem clear from the initial post, sorry.

Thanks guys

gyros4heroes

• Rep: -20
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2020, 05:22:07 AM »
Fuck route one tho

Jurfin

• Rep: 5
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2020, 10:50:48 AM »
I was not skating for a long time but started up again and bought five blanks from Drifter, made in Georgia I think? I like painting cats and shit on them. Dude that owns the company was super cool and helpful.

They’ve been awesome so far. I’m not super picky but they’ve definitely held up well and are more durable than the CCS blank I started back on. I think I’ll buy more when I make it though all of them in like a hundred years.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2020, 04:23:53 PM »
kinda going down a rabbit hole with blanks.  thinking about making some simple screens (friend has a print shop) just for personal use.  got a few of the Clutch/Canada board shop blanks coming so eager to see how they hold up
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Mon

• Rep: 5
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2020, 04:24:24 AM »
Ares Distribution in the Philippines just posted on Facebook that they have some bbs boards in stock - https://m.facebook.com/ARESSKATESUPPLY/

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2020, 08:07:42 AM »
Ares Distribution in the Philippines just posted on Facebook that they have some bbs boards in stock - https://m.facebook.com/ARESSKATESUPPLY/

BBS isn't too happy to hear about this. May suffer the same fate as Ben Degros.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2020, 04:59:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

BBS isn't too happy to hear about this. May suffer the same fate as Ben Degros.

I was almost going to tag you in this, but thought you would see it soon enough anyway.

It was a big deal here, with the supplier supposedly not being allowed to name the source of their boards and only being able to sell them if they were printed as graphic decks for reputable brands with a required minimum RRP, so I guess see how that goes for them.

I had / have a couple of the blanks still and although they feel similar, they still don't feel the same as any of the big brands that use BBS for their wood, which I find very interesting.

switchfakie

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2020, 07:13:56 PM »
don't buy from blankdecks.com their decks (at least the imported ones) are not that good. they're heavier and thicker than a normal deck. they also break easy if you stomp your tricks or are a heavier guy. if you're only skating flatground, they're alright
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 07:21:56 PM by switchfakie »

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2020, 12:04:57 PM »
Is there some way to get PS blanks in bulk? Been googling but can't find shit.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2020, 04:48:01 PM »

Unless you are starting a company (with some serious orders) or have a pro hookup I would think right now there are almost no options for getting blanks from the biggest woodshops including PS Stix, given the covid shortages and all the rest that is going on right now in the skateboard industry.

Even some of the big name brands cannot get enough wood, or are getting preference over all the lower level or smaller brands, not to mention all the other people interested in getting boards.

Sometimes the best way to find cheap boards of certain woodshops is to look for brands that you know are made with that wood, that might not be so popular and might be on clearance.  It is definitely a long shot as even clearance boards are in shorter supply now, as people were just buying whatever they could get their hands on, not what they might normally ride.

Good luck though.

Bruh Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • Upstairs, fifth floor
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2020, 05:49:14 AM »
Limited sizing, but was free grip and ship for me last week. Chapman used to do RAW and Hopps which always skated well for me (ledges/flat), not sure if their manufacturing has changed since then.

https://newyorkskateboards.com/products/blank-skateboard?variant=36930531590316

boo86

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2020, 08:10:22 AM »

.  Skate warehouse, but the uk one, I've been riding their blanks for years

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2020, 08:46:33 AM »
Limited sizing, but was free grip and ship for me last week. Chapman used to do RAW and Hopps which always skated well for me (ledges/flat), not sure if their manufacturing has changed since then.

Skating my second one now. I have no complaints. Aside I wish the wheel base on the size I ride was smaller but I’m kinda getting use to the wheel base and starting to like it.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2020, 09:17:28 AM »

Chapman used to press their own boards, had a woodshop up in maine but closed it down a few years back. They're clutch/ASF blanks now, so depending on when you last skated a Chapman deck it might be different wood. Personally I like the clutch wood better.

Expand Quote
[close]

Unless you are starting a company (with some serious orders) or have a pro hookup I would think right now there are almost no options for getting blanks from the biggest woodshops including PS Stix, given the covid shortages and all the rest that is going on right now in the skateboard industry.

Even some of the big name brands cannot get enough wood, or are getting preference over all the lower level or smaller brands, not to mention all the other people interested in getting boards.

Sometimes the best way to find cheap boards of certain woodshops is to look for brands that you know are made with that wood, that might not be so popular and might be on clearance.  It is definitely a long shot as even clearance boards are in shorter supply now, as people were just buying whatever they could get their hands on, not what they might normally ride.

Good luck though.

Correct.

PS/BBS/Watson and a bunch of other woodshops don't sell to the public. You need to be a business or a shop to even order blanks, and the minimum order quantity, price, and production time are all higher than they've ever been before. I'd imagine that damn near everything getting pressed at BBS and PS right now is going to end up with a graphic from a well known and high volume brand. I've also heard through the grapevine that generator dropped a bunch of accounts and made the ones they kept sign agreements for 5 figure quantities in 2021. I have no way of verifying that (and I'm sure they're not going to be publicly discussing it) but it did come from someone who's pretty "in the industry", so take it with an appropriate sized grain of salt. I'm guessing that any blanks that find their way out to market at the moment would be either old stock or fulfillment of orders placed pre or early pandemic. If you want a BBS deck without a graphic, my advice would be to buy a can of spraypaint.

You can always email around to different shops and see if you can turn anything up, but I'm guessing you're going to get mostly clutch/chinese wood from various distros like pgi/point etc. For US based woodshops what I'd do is look for shops that are geographically located near it, so like if you want south central then try Faith or if you want drifter then try one of the atlanta shops etc.

blend

• Rep: -2
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2020, 10:44:53 AM »

[/quote]

Correct.

PS/BBS/Watson and a bunch of other woodshops don't sell to the public. You need to be a business or a shop to even order blanks, and the minimum order quantity, price, and production time are all higher than they've ever been before. I'd imagine that damn near everything getting pressed at BBS and PS right now is going to end up with a graphic from a well known and high volume brand. I've also heard through the grapevine that generator dropped a bunch of accounts and made the ones they kept sign agreements for 5 figure quantities in 2021. I have no way of verifying that (and I'm sure they're not going to be publicly discussing it) but it did come from someone who's pretty "in the industry", so take it with an appropriate sized grain of salt. I'm guessing that any blanks that find their way out to market at the moment would be either old stock or fulfillment of orders placed pre or early pandemic. If you want a BBS deck without a graphic, my advice would be to buy a can of spraypaint.

You can always email around to different shops and see if you can turn anything up, but I'm guessing you're going to get mostly clutch/chinese wood from various distros like pgi/point etc. For US based woodshops what I'd do is look for shops that are geographically located near it, so like if you want south central then try Faith or if you want drifter then try one of the atlanta shops etc.
[/quote]

It really makes no sense. If there is a market for good blank decks, someone should have them on offer. I get that the corona situation creates its own problems, but once things get back to normal, I cannot really understand why BBS blanks could not be made available to those who wants to pay for it. The "secrecy" around who makes what is also weird, when fact is that people have preferences. How would it hurt BBS if people knew certain boards were BBS? If anything it is a sales argument.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2020, 11:10:32 AM »
Not blanks, but Tactics have shop decks that are $39.95 and BBS wood.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2020, 05:40:09 PM »

It really makes no sense. If there is a market for good blank decks, someone should have them on offer. I get that the corona situation creates its own problems, but once things get back to normal, I cannot really understand why BBS blanks could not be made available to those who wants to pay for it. The "secrecy" around who makes what is also weird, when fact is that people have preferences. How would it hurt BBS if people knew certain boards were BBS? If anything it is a sales argument.

It makes no sense to you, as a consumer. But from a business perspective, it makes perfect sense. If you're a company that uses BBS wood and it's "premium" reputation is a selling a point then of course you're not going to want people publicizing that they have the exact same board minus some ink for $20 less. Although its definitely common knowledge to people who care enough to look, your average kid wandering into a skate shop has no idea. How many times have you heard someone at the shop or park talk about how their Antihero wood is so much better than their old deathwish was and so on and so forth? Yes, it's annoying, but I can totally understand their reasoning.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2020, 07:12:25 PM »

The initial batch (Icon, Life of Leisure) were $35 with grip which is a steal by today's standards. I DM'd the on Instagram and they said a re-stock was coming in a week, that was a month ago.

Even Zumiez has increased the prices of their entry level boards by $5, DSM decks are going at $40 without grip. The price increase kicked in a week ago after Cyber Monday.

Expand Quote

[close]

It makes no sense to you, as a consumer. But from a business perspective, it makes perfect sense. If you're a company that uses BBS wood and it's "premium" reputation is a selling a point then of course you're not going to want people publicizing that they have the exact same board minus some ink for $20 less. Although its definitely common knowledge to people who care enough to look, your average kid wandering into a skate shop has no idea. How many times have you heard someone at the shop or park talk about how their Antihero wood is so much better than their old deathwish was and so on and so forth? Yes, it's annoying, but I can totally understand their reasoning.

It's the same with bearings: these US branded bearings come from similar factories in China. For low to mid-tier bearings you're essentially paying for a different packaging and some difference in QC. But they have to for product differentiation.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2020, 08:26:35 PM »
Selling blanks is almost like a "last resort" situation too, when you think how much of a demand there is for the good wood right now, then the best woodshops are totally booked out, so it is only the mass produced boards from China or the cheaper woodshops that will pass on blanks to whoever is willing to buy them.

Bigger or long standing / well established brands pay way more in total in the long run (obviously because those companies buy a lot more boards from the best woodshops) and so they have the most interest in the industry as a whole.

It is not in anyone's interest but the end customer to flood the market with cheap blanks (and not many people are going to buy expensive blanks), so of course that is not going to happen, apart from when the crap woodshops try to offload their product.

The worst thing right now is that some of the bigger companies cannot even get good wood so they have their brand name and graphics all over other / possibly crap wood, which quite quickly gets a reputation for being rubbish so a brand can almost be dead in the water sometimes, or even if they change woodshop again back to the good stuff, many people only remember how bad their last board was and never buy it again, which has happened a lot over the years.  Earth wind fire water is maybe the best example of that, now on BBS but no one really wants anything to do with them (and I blank them when I get them on sale / cheap anyway) but the wood is first class.

Sometimes the best thing is to talk to the local shop, stand on some boards to see what is comfortable, then try to find more of the same, which can be a good thing, if you know what woodshop some shops use, eg as said Tactics use BBS at a reasonable price, good shapes on the black and gold deck, dimensions right up to 8.75 from what I could see.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2020, 08:32:52 PM »

I know if I was in the US and couldn't get a hold of my usual boards, I would be buying all of those 8.5 I could get, maybe even some 8.75 too.

https://www.tactics.com/tactics/throwback-skateboard-deck/black-gold

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2020, 10:33:30 PM »
The worst thing right now is that some of the bigger companies cannot even get good wood so they have their brand name and graphics all over other / possibly crap wood, which quite quickly gets a reputation for being rubbish so a brand can almost be dead in the water sometimes, or even if they change woodshop again back to the good stuff, many people only remember how bad their last board was and never buy it again, which has happened a lot over the years.  Earth wind fire water is maybe the best example of that, now on BBS but no one really wants anything to do with them (and I blank them when I get them on sale / cheap anyway) but the wood is first class.

Toy Machine / Foundation in mid 2020. There was a small and rare run of DGK boards out of DSM, that would have been a keeper for sure, keepsake for 2020.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2020, 01:16:09 AM »

Toy Machine / Foundation in mid 2020. There was a small and rare run of DGK boards out of DSM, that would have been a keeper for sure, keepsake for 2020.

Yes you knew right away who I was meaning.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2020, 05:27:29 AM »
Schmitt told me PS stix does not offer blanks.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2020, 06:26:53 AM »
Also, most people on Slap aren't the target customer of big brands. Graphics or brands may not matter to us, but the kid with dad's credit card in tow is going to choose the gold foil Primitive / Element / Baker decks instead of the blank board for 1/2 the price.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2020, 03:30:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn I randomly found some ps labeled (with the legit looking wood engraved shit that they do) blanks on facebook marketplace recently, but they got copped before i went back to grab them myself. Maybe old stock from a time when they did offer blanks? Or boards that were never printed on by one of the ps brands?

Thanks to everyone for the info, was mulling over starting a "brand" by which I mean a semi-fake, semi-real wood co. that I would hand print graphics on and sell to homies or locals. As mentioned, it looks like chapman is one of the only viable options around right now. Last time I had a Chapman was a 2015ish Hopps board so not sure if the quality is different now, but might just go for it.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2020, 04:49:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Damn I randomly found some ps labeled (with the legit looking wood engraved shit that they do) blanks on facebook marketplace recently, but they got copped before i went back to grab them myself. Maybe old stock from a time when they did offer blanks? Or boards that were never printed on by one of the ps brands?

Thanks to everyone for the info, was mulling over starting a "brand" by which I mean a semi-fake, semi-real wood co. that I would hand print graphics on and sell to homies or locals. As mentioned, it looks like chapman is one of the only viable options around right now. Last time I had a Chapman was a 2015ish Hopps board so not sure if the quality is different now, but might just go for it.

This has happened a lot more than you might think over the years, just so people can have wood at less than retail prices and hopefully get exactly what sizes, shapes and all that matters to them from the source.  As long as you have enough money to buy more the bulk quantities, it would work for you.  Smaller woodshops do lower minimums, but you might luck out on the wood.