Author Topic: Skating during quarantine  (Read 1300 times)

ish_wav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 96
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Skating during quarantine
« on: November 16, 2020, 10:41:11 PM »
I know this topic has been discussed a dozen times, but I’m genuinely curious. I’ve been skating like normal, a couple times a week. I live in New Mexico and our governor has declared a quarantine for two weeks. I’m a government employee and a nerd so I’m not skateboarding during this lockdown. I keep seeing on social media that all the locals are still skateboarding and I’m kind of bummed on not out there. What’re everyone thoughts on skateboarding during a lockdown?

franc

• Rep: 102
Re: Skating during quarantine
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 11:59:38 PM »
I live in Switzerland where the Government opted for semi-confinement. Indoor skateparks are closed but I'm allowed to go out and I do go out and skate low impact shit and miniramps and try to avoid getting hurt.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 02:18:52 AM »
If possible, skate outside. I hit an indoor park the other day and skated with a mask on. It’s not as impossible as those anti masker nut jobs make it out to be.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 03:13:33 AM »
I just go to a huge hangar not far from my place. Skating alone feels weird, I like watching dudes rip when im taking a small break. At least theres a few obstacles and a gap

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 03:37:33 AM »
There’s a semi lockdown in the UK, I’m still skating as much as I usually would. Should try to go to london and skate some spots which are usually a bust or packed, even though it is a bit irresponsible

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 04:09:40 AM »
I skate by myself at schools or businesses after they are closed. Not really worried

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 04:21:46 AM »
One of my homies was building these around the beginning of the first lockdown, Aprilish. I scooped one up to put money in his pocket and to have something to skate at the house. I skated it hard for a few weeks back in May. Now I drag it out to the street every so often and try to maintain.

Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 05:11:01 AM »
It's getting colder where I live, and unless there's a significant decrease in cases I'll probably seek out parking structures before indoor parks.

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 05:22:38 AM »
Remember it’s not just the covid.  If you wrench the shut out of your ankle and have to seek medical attention you’re increasing the risk of exposure as well as taxing already stressed medical facilities.  Be careful and magnanimous. 

Circaskater420

• Rep: -76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 06:30:06 AM »
Just skate alone tf

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 06:35:20 AM »
There's always some curb or parking lot to skate. Parks and streets are open in Orlando

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 06:49:56 AM »
IMO it's totally contingent on where you live and how bad the virus is in your area. 

As with most of the US, hospitals are getting FULL again.  To the point where certain cities are literally prioritizing certain lives over others based on potential positive outcomes.

If you fall and bust your head open and have bleeding on the brain and need to be intubated, there simply may not be a ventilator for you.  And if there is, you are potentially causing the death of someone else by taking up a machine. 

All because you wanted to skate?

Do what you feel, but I think there comes a time when personal responsibility and community awareness outweighs any desire to go film with your 7 person crew.

If your community is doing ok? go skate.  But keep an eye on your local hospitals.

Just how I look at it.

Bruno_Herrera

• Rep: 1
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 08:44:25 AM »
Where i live cases have been going down and staying in between 20-50 which is way better than the 200+ daily cases we had during the first 6 months. Lockdown has been lifted but masks are still mandatory. It's been like a month like this and i've been going out with my friends to skate as much as possible. There isn't an indoor park where i live so everything has been outside. We usually skate outside of a school, mostly flatground, form time to time someone might bring a rail or a ledge, we have some barriers there to jump over, a small gap and some curbs. It's a small group (7 people at best) so we're confident enough to keep our masks down, when someone we don't know comes over to skate masks go up again. As of now, nobody has any symptoms that might point to a Covid positive case within the group.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 09:00:01 AM »
I skate by myself at schools or businesses after they are closed. Not really worried
Yup. I’ll skate with a friend or two here and there too at the local school but it’s outdoors and we maintain distance. Not worried about getting it or passing it on there. Avoiding the parks though

The Mess

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
  • please don't kill me jesse.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 09:07:31 AM »
i have nothing to fear but jesse himself.

Brguy

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2020, 09:34:12 AM »
Where I live the quarantine didn't work at all, so I went skating as usual (which isn't much since I've been twisting my ankle regularly for a while now).

IMO it's totally contingent on where you live and how bad the virus is in your area. 

As with most of the US, hospitals are getting FULL again.  To the point where certain cities are literally prioritizing certain lives over others based on potential positive outcomes.

If you fall and bust your head open and have bleeding on the brain and need to be intubated, there simply may not be a ventilator for you.  And if there is, you are potentially causing the death of someone else by taking up a machine. 

All because you wanted to skate?

Do what you feel, but I think there comes a time when personal responsibility and community awareness outweighs any desire to go film with your 7 person crew.

If your community is doing ok? go skate.  But keep an eye on your local hospitals.

Just how I look at it.
Again with this argument? How much do you suck to bust your head in a routine skate session? Just don't go jumping down el toro and it'll be alright.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2020, 09:44:26 AM »
things are bad here and the weather is getting worse
i just cruise around when its nice enough, try some chill things in my neighborhood.

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2020, 09:52:21 AM »
One of my homies was building these around the beginning of the first lockdown, Aprilish. I scooped one up to put money in his pocket and to have something to skate at the house. I skated it hard for a few weeks back in May. Now I drag it out to the street every so often and try to maintain.

Ah man that looks great. Fits in my car, can move it by myself, good for noseblunts. Do you know how much it costs and if it grinds well? Maybe I could angle iron one side.

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 09:54:54 AM »
I don't have any friends so I just always skate alone. Usually it's just low impact stuff so I'm not worried about getting hurt, I have been debating on building a mini ramp though so that would be fun.

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 10:32:39 AM »
i live in a low populated red state so not a whole lot has really changed

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 10:35:24 AM »
i think youre not afraid enough

fuckin nerd

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2020, 10:47:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ah man that looks great. Fits in my car, can move it by myself, good for noseblunts. Do you know how much it costs and if it grinds well? Maybe I could angle iron one side.

plumber slides like buttah! some gentrification association threw up benches made of plastic lumber when I was in high school and it was great as long as BMX pegs stayed off of it.

But really, the stuff is called Trex/composite lumber and a 1inx5inx16ft length is usually like $35-40. Lumber isn't cheap right now though, so depending on where you live, if you can find a mill yard you can call and ask about off cuts and ends. they're usually cheaper or free.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

PrttyGoodNtBadCntComplain

• Rep: -1
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2020, 11:06:50 AM »
I live in a pretty large city with a pretty large skate scene. Skating a DIY or park is akin to attending a Trump rally. It’s fucking ridiculous and irresponsible. Skate with a mask...or skate somewhere a little more safe, like a parking lot.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2020, 11:17:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The plastic lumber slides and grinds amazing. Cost wise material is probably $125ish, I think he charged me $250 for it.

I wouldn't even bother with the angle iron unless you really wanted that metal on metal grind sound.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2020, 11:26:07 AM »
I usually just skate diy and if people I don’t know show up I bounce if I know them I keep my distance. People seem to not take it serious so it’s refreshing you guys do.

I went to the park once and this kid knocked my coffee over he may been 7 or 8 and I’m like it’s cool just keep going. And I guess my voice made me sound mad. Cause I sound salty most the time. And he was like I’ll pick it up and I’m like no dude it’s okay. He picks it up drops it and I’m like dude really it’s fine go.  And he just puts it down says sorry and says he can’t even Ollie he’s just learning I’m in shock and was like okay thanks man. Very weird. Fuck parks.

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2020, 11:37:09 AM »
Remember it’s not just the covid.  If you wrench the shut out of your ankle and have to seek medical attention you’re increasing the risk of exposure as well as taxing already stressed medical facilities.  Be careful and magnanimous.
Look at you, thinking of other people. FOH fool, it’s all about me me me.

michael scarn

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2020, 12:36:03 PM »
So, if you acknowledge that this topic has been discussed so much, then why are you bringing it up again? Use the search feature dude it's not hard

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2020, 12:56:55 PM »
more like bating during quarantine! right guys...? right? guys?

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2020, 01:11:25 PM »
Bought some wax and been skating this local high school football field parking lot that has ledges n curbs.