Author Topic: How Often Do You Re-Up Gear?  (Read 4926 times)

fredgallSOTY

Re: How Often Do You Re-Up Gear?
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2020, 09:22:42 PM »
i re-up everything every 10 minutes.

BIG MONEY BIG CARS WE LIVIN LIKE SUPERSTARS

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1373
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2020, 11:09:19 PM »
I usually don't re-up that much but I skated a lot more in 2020 and kind of spoiled myself as a form of retail therapy.

This year I've gone through five pairs of shoes and I'm on my sixth pair. I usually skate two to three pairs a year.

Also, I'm currently on my fourth board. I usually only skate two or three in the seven months I have to skate before the cold weather sets in.

Switched my trucks once, and my wheels twice as well. I only go through one set of wheels in a year and rarely switch trucks.

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2020, 08:16:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Trucks when I hit the axle or get madness but it’s normally a decent amount of time on trucks. I hate messing with that.
Wheels when they cone and bearings only when they break but Swiss doesn’t really have those issues so probably I’ll get a new set every two years

Decks I’ll run a little over a month.
[close]

i got a pair of pretty much brand new swiss from a friend and within a week the 4 bearings on the rear wheels stopped spinning good. I was too lazy to clean them so i swapped them out with some bones reds I had sitting around and within a week, same issue :( Front wheels still spin really good though

Any idea wtf im doing wrong i don't skate big drops or anything, not super fat (170lbs), I skate streets but not through piles of dirt/dust and stuff...

I’ve only cleaned my bones once, but I’ve probably done more damage to them changing wheels ( I used the truck to pull the bearing out) than I ever have skating. For me if they slow down it’s because I bent something taking them out.

gin

• Rep: 4
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2020, 06:22:55 PM »
I go through decks every 3-4 weeks, usually by that time the pop is pretty soggy and there's a chip or delam.
I do skate a lot though, I've been doing a bit of logging on my sessions and on the Girl deck I started skating 25 days ago, I've skated 19 of those days for roughly 55 hours in total. Bearings I usually don't do anything about until they explode or rust out (maybe 4-6 months?). Trucks are fairly annual. Bushings are a bitch in the winter since they get brittle and I can crack em in as little as a week. Wheels are maybe every 4-6 months like bearings.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2020, 12:18:31 AM »
I go through decks every 3-4 weeks, usually by that time the pop is pretty soggy and there's a chip or delam.
I do skate a lot though, I've been doing a bit of logging on my sessions and on the Girl deck I started skating 25 days ago, I've skated 19 of those days for roughly 55 hours in total. Bearings I usually don't do anything about until they explode or rust out (maybe 4-6 months?). Trucks are fairly annual. Bushings are a bitch in the winter since they get brittle and I can crack em in as little as a week. Wheels are maybe every 4-6 months like bearings.

This, pretty much.
If I skate parks a lot my boards will probably last longer but I will change them when I got razor tail.
I try to keep my shoes as long as possible but in the end it will be like 1 month.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2020, 01:47:18 AM »
Decks and shoes: 1-3 months
Trucks: about 2 years
Wheels: one set of F4 a year
Bearings: 1-2 set of Reds/Mini-Logo a year, should get Swiss

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2020, 02:08:55 AM »
If i'm skating most days I usually get 6-8 weeks out of a board, i skate a lot of flatground so tend to retire them when i start to delam the side of the nose or tail... by that point they are a bit razor tailed and beaten up anyway.

I have quite a few fresh decks in reserve in various sizes, and a couple of setups.. i enjoy the process of researching shapes so tend to pick up a deck or two a month.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2020, 02:46:21 AM »
I think I am probably the biggest contradiction, because on one hand I have so much of everything and could easily set up a new deck or break out a new pair of shoes whenever I want, but I keep going back to the old almost worn out things and get as much, usually too much, out of them when I probably should have swapped things out months ago.  Shoes never get worn right to bald soles and are usually passed on to others I know of the same size.  Decks will often be taken off and also find a new home well before they need to be just because I can, or if I am somewhere and someone else needs a board.

Every board I set up I write the date under the truck area, so when I take a board off or change things over, I can see it is usually a few months but sometimes less.  The average is about six months but sometimes well over a year for a setup I haven't used much for whatever reason.

I probably shouldn't be surprised that things last so long, because I have been really only skating my own ramp and not a whole lot else for the last six months, but when I was working away a lot, product would last a long long time, but when I was home and skating a lot more of everything, boards would be swapped out more often.

Trucks, wheels, bearings all last a long time, which is good because I like the comfort of getting any of the boards out and still feeling exactly the same no matter which one I am riding, or what shoes I am in, but all brand new everything just feels so weird so I avoid that option as much as I can.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

skateandphotos

• Rep: 11
  • I just wanna ollie everyting
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2020, 07:33:54 AM »
Decks) usually last me 3 to 4 weeks depending on how much I skate usually 4 to 5 days a week.
Wheels) maybe 3 to 5 months depending on what if they're F4s or not I usually swap them out when they start to cone or the shape is squaring out.
Trucks) maybe 8 to 9 months my local park is crusty so my trucks don't last the longest also depends on the brand thunders will last me less than six months.
Shoes) when they start to feel floppy or stretch out too much I don't get  that many ollie holes mostly ripped laces.
Bearings) sometimes two years I've had the same pair of reds for about two years and a set of Bronson g2's for over a year.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2020, 01:24:41 AM »
i usually switch boards and also shoes after like 4 weeks usually. always new board and shoes at the same time.

new trucks once a year, maybe twice.

i change up wheels twice a year cause i can, not cause i need to, but love the feel of new wheels.

all the used stuff i sell for a couple bucks or give to some kids at the spot in need. gotta hook up the broke homies too

90sDamiano

• Rep: -82
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2020, 07:14:44 AM »
I switch boards out probably twice a month. I usually break every board I ride and if not I’ll leave them at a park if its still rideable. Very particular when it comes to concave and wb (I love flat boards with short wheelbases) so when I see one I usually just buy it and keep it till I need it. Recently I’ve found myself obsessing over wheels. I have like 4 pairs on ice rn. All different shapes and brands. Been into riding smaller but wider wheels lately. Just coming off a meniscus tear so I think I’m just stoked on being able to skate and nerd out on product product again

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2020, 07:16:24 PM »
New board every month or so. Wheels less frequent, but I usually skate 52mm F4 and when they get to a point where they are unpleasing in their smallness to my eye, I swap them out. Trucks way less frequent, but I liked to tinker until I settled in on 144 hollow Indys because I like the pop of the board with them. So far I am still on the pair that I bought back in March.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2020, 07:56:15 AM »
If a board doesn’t last you 4 months you are trying to hard jockboy
I've been skating the same Antihero for 5 months. It's still got a nice pop. I just chipped the shit outta the nose yesterday tho so I'll probably change it out in a couple weeks.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2020, 09:21:07 AM »
Used to go through boards and shoes pretty quick cuz I just liked the feeling of new shoes and boards but these days I try to make ‘em last; having a quiver (three different setups: a 7.5, 8, and 8.5) and alternating between two pairs of shoes at once helps with switching shit out less too.

I’d say boards last me up to 2 months unless they snap, chips don’t bother me unless they’re super duper bad. Same with shoes, up to 2 months. unless the soles starting peeling up or the bottom goes bald quicker than usual or something. Trucks last me forever, this pair of ventures I’m skating on my 8.5 setup I’m close to reaching the one year mark with them and they’re still going strong. Wheels I switch like twice a year maybe, but I’m a few months away from reaching a full year on some F4s right now and they’ve only gone down a handful of mm’s so I think I can squeeze a lot more time out of them. Bearings and hardware I set up and don’t even think about switching em out unless one breaks here n there.

It should be noted if it’s a shape I don’t like on a board and I just can’t get used to it I won’t hesitate to switch it out in a heartbeat. The above only applies to stuff I dig.

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2020, 06:03:23 PM »
I skate probably like 4-5 days a week for long sessions (pretty much always over 2 or 3 hours sometimes as much as 8 or 9)

Decks are usually swapped every month, razortail is usually what gets me to change. I don’t break boards for any reason because I’m light and don’t get angry that much

Trucks I usually find an excuse to get new trucks every 6 months or so, but I could probably make them last longer if I wanted to

Wheels go for about 4 months but it can vary depending on how stoked I am on the wheels, they get small fast cuz I do a lot of powerslidey stuff

Bearings I usually happen upon new bearings for various reasons, but if left to my own devices I’ll skate them till they bust and replace them one at a time

Shoes I make last as long as possible. I either skate Vans or Emericas so Vans will go for a couple months and Emericas maybe a month and some change

Anything I’m done with I’ll give away unless its pretty fucked or sentimental. I try to keep my box of old skate shit small as possible cuz looking at a pile of skateable things not being skated feels wasteful