Author Topic: Getting old - skating transition?  (Read 4886 times)

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
Re: Getting old - skating transition?
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2020, 06:23:58 AM »
This is my experience, too. It’s incredible how sore my legs are even after skating flat ground, and I am only 38. I am tall and heavy, so that adds to the strain. I’d definitely call transition safer, simply because I find it easier to stay in my comfort zone and have fun. I’d guess that I skate transition within 60-70% of my abilities, while I go to 90% when I skate street. Plus, I am extremely methodical and gradual about learning lip tricks, and I don’t Ollie except into Disasters. This is on small transition, if it’s a big ramp or bowl I resort to the absolute basics.

Yup. Agree with all of this and/or is my experience, too.

Maybe I’ll be a convert when I get older, but knee slides seem much more dangerous for my knees and back, especially since I am 6'5''. And the bowl I skate has a shallow transition, so it wouldn’t be much of a slide.

Size of the ramp is certainly a factor. That said, better to learn them now before your knees/back get worse with age. A proper knee slide is something you ease you way into, like slowly dropping to knees, and is far less jarring on knees/back than you might think. And this ( https://vatorat.blogspot.com/2018/11/why-i-wear-pads-on-small-ramps.html ) is the exact reason why pads/kneeslides on even small ramps can really be a life-saver. Def worth a read/consideration.

Also, I am no longer doing handrails (e.g. the pic/comment in above link). I broke my leg in 2019. Handrails are over now. After a life-time of skating, I am definitely moving into the realm of practicing a more low-impact "old guy stoke" of curbs and mini ramps. My goal is no longer to "stick that banger," but to continue skating as long as I possibly can. With that perspective shift, a lot of other stuff shifts, too. #rollforever

« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 06:55:22 AM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2020, 03:48:53 PM »
The best thing about skating is there are no rules except the ones you make for yourself, so some days I don't skate, other days I just cruise around and do laps of where ever it is I am, some times I am more keen to try more tricks and go harder on anything I am skating, not for anyone but myself.

I am 45 now and about mid to late 30s I used to get a bit angry and upset I couldn't do some of the things I used to do when I was younger and had a bit of a hard time skating, but as I get older, I realise I can still enjoy rolling around and I have also come to terms with the fact that I don't need to do certain things any more.

Being a lot easier on the body, ramp skating has been more of a go to than anything else, as well as building my own ramp in a purpose built shed when we moved, so no matter what the weather is like or any other factors, I can go for a roll if I want to.  The driveway outside is also a good fun street skating spot, as well as the nice long very mellow hill road we live on, so there is enough here to keep me well and truly entertained.  That said, I still like getting out and skating lots of different places, but I am finding the smaller (and less risk) things in any skatepark or spot way more fun.

I have had more stupid injuries in the last few years, just slipping out of things or losing balance than the last 20 years combined, but thankfully no hospital visits.  That doesn't include the broken arm, broken ankles when starting out and growing up, all late 80s early 90s.

If it came down to it, I would still prefer my regular board over a cruiser any day, but having a fat cruiser with big soft wheels and medium / loose trucks is sometimes just what I need, so I am glad I do have that option as well.

My happy place - the ramp in my shed:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-YGWfbFeku/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2020, 08:50:36 PM »
I have had more stupid injuries in the last few years, just slipping out of things or losing balance than the last 20 years combined, but thankfully no hospital visits.

Yup. This is the reality we all face with age. We become slower. Our reaction time diminishes. Not only do we bail more, but our ability to "fall properly" also wanes. Combine this with slower healing time, and increased propensity for injury, and it can be a grim picture. Hawk said it best, "You can't fight biology." True, you can't win that fight, but you can work with biology to prolong time on the board. Low(er) impact stuff, stretching, and pads (when applicable) are what keeps you going, and the wheels rolling.

Sick ramp, man. Looks stupid fun. Enjoy that thing as long as you can.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2020, 12:37:54 AM »
After a life-time of skating, I am definitely moving into the realm of practicing a more low-impact "old guy stoke" of curbs and mini ramps. My goal is no longer to "stick that banger," but to continue skating as long as I possibly can. With that perspective shift, a lot of other stuff shifts, too. #rollforever

There is literally nothing in my life that is as informed by adjusting to age (and ultimately, impermanence) as skateboarding. The conversations at the bowl are so funny sometimes, we sound like 60-70 year old people. It’s a bit ridiculous, but it also reflects the passion (and obsession).

A lot of the older people I skate with have started again or are doing it for the first time, and it seems a bit different for them. The constraints are their baseline and everything feels fresh compared to someone who never stopped and is seeing tricks fade year after year.

There have been times when I got a bit depressed about not being able to skate how I used to, but now I actually see a lot of beauty in the process, constantly finding new little things to enjoy about it. As you say above, this shift is not just about skateboarding.

For me, these new little things to enjoy have been gradually and carefully learning transition, and discovering details in basic tricks, for example 180 Ollies. Finally getting the shoulders right on Fs 180s, getting a bit more height on the dreaded Fs Nollie, etc.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2020, 05:38:36 AM »
knee pads and sliding to me is only good if you are skating a vert ramp or something equally massive. for smaller stuff just run out or slide on your butt.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2020, 06:23:00 AM »
knee pads and sliding to me is only good if you are skating a vert ramp or something equally massive. for smaller stuff just run out or slide on your butt.

I'm guessing that you've not reached your mid-40s yet? :)

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2020, 06:25:34 AM »
...but now I actually see a lot of beauty in the process, constantly finding new little things to enjoy about it. As you say above, this shift is not just about skateboarding...for me, these new little things to enjoy have been gradually and carefully learning transition, and discovering details in basic tricks...

The simple and subtle is the most profound. But it usually takes a lifetime to really understand (and live) that way.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2020, 07:20:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm 45. Knee pads on big stuff only and typically only on wood or smooth concrete. its no fun having a pad grip the rough stuff, sending you flying chin first to the flat... (i've had it happen) For me, anything small and it can cause more harm to knee bail... just my approach. i feel much safer butt bailing or running out.  if it helps you, then go for it.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2020, 07:42:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i'm 47. below is an example of me doing a run out and a butt slide on my small ramp. i don't see how knee pads would be helpful. my ramp is really steep which makes knee pads even less helpful. for smaller ramps i find its easier just do go limp and land on the transition on your butt or jump to/run to flat. knee slides are hard to get into without a bigger transtion under you as you often have to rotate out a bit before you land on your knees and you usually throw your weight in the direction you are going both of which cause you to move a foot or two before making contact which will likely have you on the flat bottom on smaller ramps.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CC1ehyuJZoU/

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2020, 08:30:59 AM »
i don't see how knee pads would be helpful...

See link I posted above. Size of ramp is obviously a factor. That said, if I'm on a ramp and I'm given the choice of a knee-slide or run-out, I'll take the knee slide any day. I learned the hard-way on that. A bad run out is how I broke my leg. :)

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2020, 10:57:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i'm 47. below is an example of me doing a run out and a butt slide on my small ramp. i don't see how knee pads would be helpful. my ramp is really steep which makes knee pads even less helpful. for smaller ramps i find its easier just do go limp and land on the transition on your butt or jump to/run to flat. knee slides are hard to get into without a bigger transtion under you as you often have to rotate out a bit before you land on your knees and you usually throw your weight in the direction you are going both of which cause you to move a foot or two before making contact which will likely have you on the flat bottom on smaller ramps.

You got a rad quarter bro
listen to cosmic psychos

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2020, 08:52:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

You got a rad quarter bro

thanks man, i had a buddy who does concrete for a living and has done many parks do it. it's really challenging but fun. some days i wish i had done a mellow 3' with metal coping but there's a ton of those around town and only one steep 3' with concrete. it wasn't crazy expensive IMHO, it cost about the same as getting an entry level mountain bike and i wanted it to match the house in a way that non-skaters might not even realize what it is, like a street transition spot.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2020, 10:08:23 AM »
Transition is terrifying. Ledges and small bumps for me. As I get older that only becomes more true.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2020, 11:25:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’m like 99% sure I’ve seen your quarter before. That shit looks so fun.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2020, 05:09:48 PM »

thanks man, i had a buddy who does concrete for a living and has done many parks do it. it's really challenging but fun. some days i wish i had done a mellow 3' with metal coping but there's a ton of those around town and only one steep 3' with concrete. it wasn't crazy expensive IMHO, it cost about the same as getting an entry level mountain bike and i wanted it to match the house in a way that non-skaters might not even realize what it is, like a street transition spot.

Tight quarters are definitely a fun challenge!

Maybe built by Frontrock Inc, similar to Dan Drehobl's front yard?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-uW1RlFfA7/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2020, 02:12:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Tight quarters are definitely a fun challenge!

Maybe built by Frontrock Inc, similar to Dan Drehobl's front yard?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-uW1RlFfA7/

dan's setup looks super fun. having a deck would be cool. i actually got an austin local to pour it so not frontrock inc but what cool name.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 51
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2020, 05:35:14 PM »
I am coming up on 48 in a month. I have always skated everything. Skating different things will utilize different muscles throughout your body. If you focus on skating one thing, you will not keep all of your muscles developed and strong.

More importantly than what you choose to skate, as you get older, is how you take care of yourself off the board. Diet, stretching, and exercise play an important role. Many older guys stick to transition because it is easier to carve around and do slash grinds when your gut is looking 6 months preggo. Lay off the cake and donuts, eat a salad, and make sure you drink a lot of water always but especially during and after a session.

avoid alcoholic beverages or drink them in moderation. If you are injured, lay off the alcohol all together until you recover as it will slow down your recovery time.

Make sure you take 15-20 minutes to get warmed up before going for the bangers. Get a jump rope for those off days.

Feel free to DM me for additional advice. I get stoked off anyone out there having fun but it is especially read to see an older guy ripping!!
How much for an order of ribs?

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2020, 03:34:40 PM »
I am coming up on 48 in a month. I have always skated everything. Skating different things will utilize different muscles throughout your body. If you focus on skating one thing, you will not keep all of your muscles developed and strong.

More importantly than what you choose to skate, as you get older, is how you take care of yourself off the board. Diet, stretching, and exercise play an important role. Many older guys stick to transition because it is easier to carve around and do slash grinds when your gut is looking 6 months preggo. Lay off the cake and donuts, eat a salad, and make sure you drink a lot of water always but especially during and after a session.

avoid alcoholic beverages or drink them in moderation. If you are injured, lay off the alcohol all together until you recover as it will slow down your recovery time.

Make sure you take 15-20 minutes to get warmed up before going for the bangers. Get a jump rope for those off days.

Feel free to DM me for additional advice. I get stoked off anyone out there having fun but it is especially read to see an older guy ripping!!

Good advice all around!

Dudecahedron

• Rep: 2
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2020, 03:33:36 PM »
30yr old here and when I was younger I only learned the basics (simple grinds and stalls) and focused mainly on flat and gaps. About five years ago I made a conscious effort to skate more tran bc it’s all my park had and now I’m very comfy on it and it’s loads of fun. I will say that the falls are occasionally rough, but certainly no worse than sticking on a ledge trick you’ve committed to. Most of the time I can slide or roll out and as long as I didn’t land on my hands too hard I’m fine. It’s fun as fuck and I’ve probably learned a dozen tricks this summer alone. Starting to be able to do take different grinds in fakie, do no-grab blunt variations, and decent ollies/kickflips. Totally worth the time investment and I think it helps other areas of skating. Plus it makes putting lines together around a park way more interesting.

For example, I’ve never even been able to dream about a street bsts. Just would psyche me the fuck out having to roll up and not even be able to see where I was trying to ollie... but having recently learned them on quarterpipes (power sliding in mostly, not even doing it proper) I was able to sorta turn it into the same trick in my mind and now I’ve gotten a few under my belt within just a few sessions, one of which was on a legit sized bench.

Give it a chance, even just warming up your legs pumping around, you might get hooked. If you are being held back by fear and bad experiences or if you only have access to big ramps maybe try skating really low on the transition doing Ollie fakie s, 180s, and controlled shuvs. I learned pivot fakies by just doing half of a kick turn and canceling it with my shoulders, just going higher and higher til I reached the coping.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 04:18:50 PM by Dudecahedron »