Author Topic: Best/worst examples of filming  (Read 3422 times)

Cockaigne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Best/worst examples of filming
« on: November 18, 2020, 01:38:54 PM »
As i lurk around here, there's a lot of complaints about socalled shitty filming. Strobeck is seen as the main offender. Sometimes I do like it, mostly cause its his style, and as a whole it gives his videos quite a bit of character which seems to fit the skating/companies he works with....Tho i can see how it takes away from the trick a bit...

So the question is: in what instance was there a trick where you felt like you were robbed of seeing the trick in "its rightfull manner", so to say?

And what about the other hand: what trick has been filmed just right, and has been an instance where there was the most "cinematographic justice" to gnarliness/finesse.

Post examples and discuss perhaps.

Shalom

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
Re: Best/worst examples of filming
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 01:48:07 PM »
 Mason Silva's Thrasher cover Ollie into the double bank not being filmed from the right angle was pure robbery
Proverbs 27:17

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 02:05:42 PM »
I don't hate Strobek's style of filming as I think most of the time it works and like you said, it's very much his style, but the way he butchered how gnarly Tyshawn's switch flip over the wall and into that fountain was pissed me off.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 02:13:12 PM »
I definitely am over everyone that bites strobeck's style of filming. Some good filmers get the pass but theres a lot of filmers that just film that way to do it with little to no understanding of why Strobeck would film like that in the first place and it just looks like shit

Although Strobeck (mostly) gets the pass, also this:

I don't hate Strobek's style of filming as I think most of the time it works and like you said, it's very much his style, but the way he butchered how gnarly Tyshawn's switch flip over the wall and into that fountain was pissed me off.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 95
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 02:34:01 PM »

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 05:44:23 PM »

Tyshawn going over that trash can at the courthouse was also super butchered. Had to rewatch the part to find it.

Also Kader boardslid a huge rail in front of a crowd of pedestrians watching him, photo/ad is pretty cool but the footage kinda sucks:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGaS3PClVt-/

G raham

• Rep: -47
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 04:15:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tyshawn going over that trash can at the courthouse was also super butchered. Had to rewatch the part to find it.

Also Kader boardslid a huge rail in front of a crowd of pedestrians watching him, photo/ad is pretty cool but the footage kinda sucks:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGaS3PClVt-/

tony hawks 2 place pog
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 05:51:44 AM »
best-dan wolfe
worst- strobek, go pro

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 05:53:31 AM »
The hyper zoomed longlens thing is by and large the worst trend in skateboarding as a whole. It's bad bad bad and the people who copy it render their footage useless. Bad bad bad, -10/10. Bad.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 06:01:49 AM »
Videos filmed with those weird reverse fisheyes, like the etnies video. Seems like the sort of gimmick where when you're watching a clip back at the spot in isolation and with the context of knowing what it really looks like it would look impressive in a 'super cool' sort of way, but when all those clips are put together it just looks shit.

Also back in the day, videos that were filmed with MK2s like What If? If you're got a filming budget then at least stretch to an MK1 and a bayo
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 06:37:49 AM »
Beating a dead horse but:

Worst-

Post Fully Flared Ty Evans (drones, RED camera, etc.) keep that shit away from skateboarding.

Strobeck style zooming for every clip because I prefer to watch skateboarding through a fisheye. The zoomed long lens can be tasteful for about 1/4 of the clips it’s used on these days.

Best-

Great VX filming by the likes of Yoan Taillandier and Jacob Harris. They capture the rawness and energy of street skating perfectly.

As for HD I think one of the best examples of HD done right lately is the April videos by Kevin Perez with his use of HD 4:3. The brand itself is obviously kinda meh but the style of filming is something I’d like to see more of.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 95
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 06:57:55 AM »

Worst-

Post Fully Flared Ty Evans (drones, RED camera, etc.) keep that shit away from skateboarding.

Strobeck style zooming for every clip because I prefer to watch skateboarding through a fisheye. The zoomed long lens can be tasteful for about 1/4 of the clips it’s used on these days.

Best-

Great VX filming by the likes of Yoan Taillandier and Jacob Harris. They capture the rawness and energy of street skating perfectly.

As for HD I think one of the best examples of HD done right lately is the April videos by Kevin Perez with his use of HD 4:3. The brand itself is obviously kinda meh but the style of filming is something I’d like to see more of.

in fully flared you could tell ty evans was starting to get bad ideas with stuff like this

I thought davis torgersons part in string theory had nice camera work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bguYCey838

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 07:28:47 AM »

Worst-

Best-

Nicely put

A particular bad exemple I have in mind would be the use of steadycams and weird wide angle lenses in pretty sweet

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 09:32:52 AM »
There were quite a few tricks in Baker 4 shot at that set that gets sessioned in Candyland. I think I remember Herman's nollie inward heel being barely in the frame

Dr. Purpleteeth should be drawn and quartered for his GoPro angles

Jacob Harris / Atlantic Drift seems to be doing the best camera work these days

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 09:55:33 AM »
always liked how this dane brady line was filmed

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 10:05:04 AM »
Classic trick/filming. SJ/TY combo

FakieFlipCG

• Rep: 36
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 10:41:12 AM »
I thought davis torgersons part in string theory had nice camera work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bguYCey838

Love, love, love Numeric/Brindle Collective's stuff. Feel like they have a tasteful mix of everything (tight framing included) and keep things interesting without distracting from the skating. Also love that they do a lot of wide, establishing shots (idk what to call them) that show not just the spot but the context that the spot is in. Always seems like they do the skating and spots justice.

Still think it's wild they did this with iPhone 6s:
https://vimeo.com/nbnumeric/nbdataroaming

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 10
  • VX1000
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 11:02:25 AM »
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 12:27:43 PM »
I am down with the VX heads—Colin Read, Jacob Harris, Brian Panebianco, Ryan Garshell.

Beagle had his own thing going which I liked but it doesn’t work for me in HD.

When it comes to the big productions Jon Miner and Greg Hunt stand out.

Other than many of you I dig what Strobeck is doing. Wouldn’t want all videos to be like that, however.

I hate everything Thorsten Frank has put out. It feels like he never even learned the basics.

ThePeoplesChamp

• Rep: -14
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 01:48:18 PM »
I feel like this is a common argument, but Chris Thiessen's VX Filming is my personal favorite. His filming allows the people he films to skate flat ground and it'll be enjoyable to watch. Also, his filming proves to me that he actually knows how to ride a skateboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK1GSLk1Ue4

AldusMinutiae

• Rep: 125
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 06:54:49 PM »
This drove me nuts:

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 10
  • VX1000
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2020, 11:20:46 AM »
Daniel Dent is really great too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pai_7BJEqzk

Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2020, 11:54:04 AM »
best-dan wolfe
worst- strobek, go pro

Strobeck took the long lens zoom thing from Wolfe. Dan was doing it right though, and mixing it with other techniques.

Brguy

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2020, 12:33:10 PM »
Is the filming at 1:58 in the best or worst category?

https://youtu.be/cyn0DVSn96I?t=118

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2020, 12:57:46 PM »
Benny Maglinao, I think he does a way better job filming the FA/Hockey skaters then Strobeck.

Worst filmer for me is Johnathan Fletchas, guy who films Austin Gillete and the Former video. Even in his old local florida videos that dude loves to zoom into the skaters feet in EVERY long lense clip. Almost every time its unnecessary and just ruins the clip.

geneparmesan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2020, 06:15:54 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7HO2S0Jw98/?igshid=1ue2jtxc3mxs8

A wizard on the board as well as behind the camera. Sour’s team and videos are absolutely amazing.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2020, 12:52:58 PM »
Best downhill filmer is Zach Chamberlain. Ducking under bars in front of skaters going over.

Perfect example:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkKxqYjyPM0

Ty Evan’s and his Mountain Dew videos is the epitome of terrible.

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2020, 02:18:44 AM »
from a non filmers perspective i really like videos where i dont even think about the camera work. like Strobeck & Ty with all their gimicks and tight zoms and shit is so distracting - i just wanna watch skating leave your drone at hime and zoom the fuck out so I can see whats going on

Grind King Rims

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2020, 05:47:08 AM »

Filming in front of the skater like this angle is underrated, I feel. I think it's usually executed great.

I can't find it at the minute, but I remember Phil Zwijsen and Jarne Verbruggen filming a downhill line that involved the filmer ollie-ing multiple stair sets and going fast as hell just to keep up. Would love to see that again if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Weededed

• Rep: 198
  • I never needed it..
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2020, 06:21:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Filming in front of the skater like this angle is underrated, I feel. I think it's usually executed great.

I can't find it at the minute, but I remember Phil Zwijsen and Jarne Verbruggen filming a downhill line that involved the filmer ollie-ing multiple stair sets and going fast as hell just to keep up. Would love to see that again if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

https://youtu.be/HfAw5xvHr4I

Doesn't get much better than this, so dope!