Author Topic: The Set Up Dilemma - Help!  (Read 1134 times)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
The Set Up Dilemma - Help!
« on: November 21, 2020, 07:36:12 AM »
Esteemed Pals and other Dudes!

First post so here's a bit of background, please bear with me: I stopped skating seriously in 1997 and took it up again this year during lockdown. I still had a set up from back then, a beautiful Tommy Budjanec Enemy deck 8.38 with 8 inch Orion trucks (rode smaller boards before the Budjanec) and 51mm Spitfires. However the deck was already cracked and broke after a few weeks.

So I got me a brand new set up which I have been riding for 6 months now. It's an Real Ishod Victory deck (love it) which was sold as 8.38 but is actually 8.5, with some Indys 144 and 52mm Bones 100's. That's the budget Bones and they felt hella plasticky compared to the Spitfires but I got used to them in the meantime. Got some Bronson G2's in them. I know they get a lot of heat here but I am quite happy with them. Granted they are not hella fast but I am not going hella fast anyway these days.

Here's a picture of the old 90ies deck and my current set up.

I love the Ishod deck but it's slowly getting razor tail and losing a bit of pop so I figured it was time to get a successor and copped the new Ishod 8.38 Peace Tree deck (which acutally is 8.38). A thing of beauty. Then it was my birthday and I got some vouchers from the best Swiss online shop (I'm Swiss) so I went on a shopping spree. Above all, I got me the 8.5 Shorty's Muska deck, a must for a nostalgic 90ies dude like me. The Muska flip was my signature trick back in the day (don't have them back yet). Now I don't know which of these decks to ride next. They are both so beautiful I almost can't bring myself to setting one up so I need your help to convince me to set one up and to help me choose which one (and should I keep the other one, are they likely to increase in value?). Here they are:

I also figured it would be nice to keep the old Ishod to use it as winter/wet/dirt/crust board. For this purpose I intend to revive (no pun intended) the 23 year old Orions and Spitfires. With my vouchers I copped a plethora of hardware which should allow me to do that. I accept that this will be a magic carpet ride. Here's a list and a photo of the stuff I can work with:

• Decks: Ishod 8.5 (old) / Ishod 8.38  (new) / Muska 8.5 (new)
  • Wheels: Bones 100's 50mm (newish) / Spitfires 51mm (23 years old): the Spits are broader.
  • Bearings: Bronson G2s (used) / Bones Swiss (brand new): obviously, the G2's will go on the crust set up.
  • Trucks: Indys 144 with hard Bones HC Bushings (used) / Orion 8inch (23 years old) with the following choice of bushings: (i) hard Bones HC, (ii) Medium conical Indy Aftermarkets 92a, may be combined with (iii) black OG Orion barrel bushings or orange Indy barrel bushings.

TL; DR: So here I am with a ton of gear to set up one new deck and one crust deck. Please help me compile those set ups. All help is greatly appreciated but my main concern is (i) which new deck to set up and which one to keep, (ii) which bushings to pick for the Orions (I ride the Indys stock loose), (iii) which wheels to go on the new deck. Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:42:56 AM by Easy Slider »
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
Re: The Set Up Dilemma - Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 10:01:23 AM »
I’m not going to read all this but I suggest setting up whatever feels good and makes you happy when you look down at your board

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 10:18:47 AM »
Same here, no way I'm reading all that but we already have a setup thread where you could post this.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 10:35:35 AM »
Throw those Orions in the fucking dumpster.

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 11:50:08 AM »
Damn, Tommy B! I used to skate with him a lot back when he lived in Savannah. Took one trip to SD when he was living there and riding for Human. He lived in the same complex as a bunch of skaters. Chad Knight, MJ, Dave Mayhew, and I don't know who else. Tommy wasn't down with them. I saw MJ and Dave Mayhew in the parking lot one morning and was very sad I couldn't skate with them.

Decks: Ishod 8.5 (old) / Ishod 8.38  (new) / Muska 8.5 (new)
Wheels: Bones 100's 50mm (newish) / Spitfires 51mm (23 years old): the Spits are broader.
Bearings: Bronson G2s (used) / Bones Swiss (brand new): obviously, the G2's will go on the crust set up.
Trucks: Indys 144 with hard Bones HC Bushings (used) / Orion 8inch (23 years old) with the following choice of bushings: (i) hard Bones HC, (ii) Medium conical Indy Aftermarkets 92a, may be combined with (iii) black OG Orion barrel bushings or orange Indy barrel bushings.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 01:27:07 PM »

Wheels: Bones 100's 50mm (newish) / Spitfires 51mm (23 years old): the Spits are broader.
Bearings: Bronson G2s (used) / Bones Swiss (brand new): obviously, the G2's will go on the crust set up.
Trucks: Indys 144 with hard Bones HC Bushings (used) / Orion 8inch (23 years old) with the following choice of bushings: (i) hard Bones HC, (ii) Medium conical Indy Aftermarkets 92a, may be combined with (iii) black OG Orion barrel bushings or orange Indy barrel bushings.

Yes.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 01:40:06 PM »
Throw those Orions in the fucking dumpster.
Please.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 02:02:41 PM »
I liked those v1? orions. Had them on my first setup and they were great besides a little axle slip. Id say pic up a smaller deck for those and just ride both with the gear you have.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 02:33:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes.

This makes sense for the new main set up, cheers lads.
why come?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 02:35:23 PM »
I liked those v1? orions. Had them on my first setup and they were great besides a little axle slip. Id say pic up a smaller deck for those and just ride both with the gear you have.

That‘s an idea... perhaps I could get the Muska flip back with a smaller board.
why come?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 07:00:48 PM »
I don’t think that muska board is going to be worth much of anything past original sales price. I think they made too many and it’s going to end up being in the line up permanently. Personally that ishod board would be a good wall board. Real ain’t making more of those but I guarantee you can find another muska down the road

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 08:18:46 PM »
As others said, that combo seems to be the best option, but this is not a "set it up once and never touch it again" type deal.  I would always pick that Ishod just for how the board feels.  You can set it up with one set of wheels and have a skate, then try the other set.

Have you had a minute to stand on the boards, new decks on carpet (with shoes you skate in) so you can feel the concave and see what they are like?

The 8.38 size is very close to 8.5 and DLX 8.38 seem even bigger in some instances than other brand 8.5 so put them back to back, one on top and then the other and compare them like that too.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 08:21:26 PM »
Don't overthink equipment. Don't quit again.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 04:12:36 AM »
I don’t think that muska board is going to be worth much of anything past original sales price. I think they made too many and it’s going to end up being in the line up permanently. Personally that ishod board would be a good wall board. Real ain’t making more of those but I guarantee you can find another muska down the road

Now you got me thinking again lol...
why come?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 04:15:59 AM »
As others said, that combo seems to be the best option, but this is not a "set it up once and never touch it again" type deal.  I would always pick that Ishod just for how the board feels.  You can set it up with one set of wheels and have a skate, then try the other set.

Have you had a minute to stand on the boards, new decks on carpet (with shoes you skate in) so you can feel the concave and see what they are like?

The 8.38 size is very close to 8.5 and DLX 8.38 seem even bigger in some instances than other brand 8.5 so put them back to back, one on top and then the other and compare them like that too.

Sure did, my old Ishod was labelled 8.38 but is really 8.5. The new one is a true 8.38, I could feel the difference the first time I stepped onto it immediately.
why come?

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 05:16:09 AM »
Don't over think this. Like another poster said, you can swap stuff around so you are not bound by any single configuration. Set something up and START SKATING! Find somewhere to push around and feel the board out.

Have a few sessions before your start futzing around with your setup. You've been out of it for 23 years. Your body has changed and you have lost a lot of muscle memory. What used to work for you no longer applies so any setup is going to feel off.

And none of those boards are going to be worth anything unless they are limited edition, signed, and numbered. Don't get sucked into the idea that somehow Muska garners anything close to the ardor her did in the 90s.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 10:46:37 AM »
Don't over think this. Like another poster said, you can swap stuff around so you are not bound by any single configuration. Set something up and START SKATING! Find somewhere to push around and feel the board out.

Have a few sessions before your start futzing around with your setup. You've been out of it for 23 years. Your body has changed and you have lost a lot of muscle memory. What used to work for you no longer applies so any setup is going to feel off.

And none of those boards are going to be worth anything unless they are limited edition, signed, and numbered. Don't get sucked into the idea that somehow Muska garners anything close to the ardor her did in the 90s.

Cheers bro. I think you got me wrong, I am not sitting in my apartment with a pile of gear and not skating because I can't decide how to set it up lol. I have been skating the Ishod Victory deck for six months now since my hiatus.

It's true that I have lost a lot of skate muscles, however, I was agreeably surprised how much of the muscle memory was still there. In other words, I am totally out of shape but the legs pretty much do what they're supposed to as long as they're fresh.

why come?