Author Topic: Bmx shoes  (Read 2241 times)

Slayer666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -30
Bmx shoes
« on: November 19, 2020, 11:06:43 AM »
Has anyone had experience skating these I never noticed Vans put these out and am basically confused, a beefed up old skool sounds kinda neat wonder if theres any downside besides the price, lack of boardfeel? Pedalfeel sounds kinda neat
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 01:02:18 PM by Slayer666 »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Bmx shoes
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 04:12:05 PM »
Has anyone had experience skating these I never noticed Vans put these out and am basically confused, a beefed up old skool sounds kinda neat wonder if theres any downside besides the price, lack of boardfeel? Pedalfeel sounds kinda neat

They certainly are different.  Worth getting to somewhere to try them on, but they are a super upgrade to the normal shoes, can go either way depending on what you want out of them too.

Closest is the waffle cup sole variant / more tech vans skate range, but still quite different, so unless you try them on, you might not be keen, or you might love them.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 08:00:32 PM »
Etnies makes BMX shoes and BMX versions of their skate shoes.
 Check their website to see: Marana, Camber Crank, Jameson Crank, and some others.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 12:41:21 AM »
Reynolds was skating in some BMX Sk8 hi's with a rubber toe cap and I'm willing to bet his eventual pro model will have a wafflecup sole and will be dope and highly sought after.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 04:17:31 AM »
Pretty sure the Vans ones are just a slightly different variation on the Wafflecup sole. It's not the same one as on the Crocketts or Walkers, but same idea. The uppers appear to be the standard Sk8 Hi and Old Skool pro, with a small rubber patch on the inside of your foot (I don't ride BMX, so I don't really know what it's for). I haven't tried them, but I'm sure they'd skate fine. Probably just like regular Sk8 Hi's or Old Skools, but with the sole like 1% more supportive (Wafflecup is still too thin for me). I've seen a few pros in them - I think Daniel Lutheran was wearing the Sk8 Hi's for a bit.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 07:43:15 AM »
I have the sk8 hi with waffle cup sole. The sole does not feel any different then my Crockett 2.
Flexes the same. Grip is as good as any other vans shoe.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 09:27:36 AM »
Pretty sure the Vans ones are just a slightly different variation on the Wafflecup sole. It's not the same one as on the Crocketts or Walkers, but same idea. The uppers appear to be the standard Sk8 Hi and Old Skool pro, with a small rubber patch on the inside of your foot (I don't ride BMX, so I don't really know what it's for). I haven't tried them, but I'm sure they'd skate fine. Probably just like regular Sk8 Hi's or Old Skools, but with the sole like 1% more supportive (Wafflecup is still too thin for me). I've seen a few pros in them - I think Daniel Lutheran was wearing the Sk8 Hi's for a bit.

On the subject of BMX... those rubber patches, specifically the inner instep one is likely for "foot jam/foot jam whips" where you take your "front foot" off the pedal and jam it on to the tire and whip the frame around before jumping back on to the pedals. Or it's to protect the instep from the pedals. Not entirely sure since I don't BMX anymore but grew up with friends that did that and skate.

It's small but could protect you while skating too.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 01:52:22 PM »
I am looking at this more as a tech upgrade for skating, which would still work fine.

This post has all the pics and angles to see almost everything about the shoe, once you get over the weird colours though.

Reminds me of the TNT advanced prototype in the sole with the different parts.

The one thing I think would work well is having a more solid heel tread, as per a few other shoes, so when using your heel as a brake, it doesn't wear down quite as much.  The Gilbert Crockett shoe had this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHb1bIkMplx/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 02:11:10 PM »
These don't hurt my eyes as much as the yellow ones, but as per most posts, they never really show you much about the shoe, which was so good from that last post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFsQ0qTFWbd/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 02:13:46 PM »
Probably the cleanest looking shoe in the BMX range, and also a good one for the vert guys (if there are any) with the toe cap part.

I will stop now though.  Too many shoes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEN5GckHw0i/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 09:22:15 PM »
I saw this in the new stuff thread...

Just pulled the trigger on these bmx vans. Never skated a toe cap or high top so it’s gonna be a few firsts. But it’s a waffle cup and duracap so for $50 why not.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 07:51:04 PM »

Expand Quote
Just pulled the trigger on these bmx vans. Never skated a toe cap or high top so it’s gonna be a few firsts. But it’s a waffle cup and duracap so for $50 why not.

[close]
Messed around with them some today but I’m going to  skate them tomorrow. With the pop cush insoles  and cupsole  it was hard to feel the board. The toe cap was odd with the flick so I was gonna cut it off with a razor and slipped and cut the entire top of the toe box open. But fuck it gonna skate them tomorrow and just glue it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 07:17:58 AM by Murge »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 07:00:40 AM »
Tried on the old skool pro cupsoles in black synth yesterday, they felt great!!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 06:17:37 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Messed around with them some today but I’m going to  skate them tomorrow. With the pop cush insoles  and cupsole  it was hard to feel the board. The toe cap was odd with the flick so I was gonna cut it off with a razor and slipped and cut the entire top of the toe box open. But fuck it gonna skate them tomorrow and just glue it.

Just as an update. I couldn’t feel my board  so I took the pop Cush insoles (feel great)out and put some G6s in. Went to skate them and the toe cap just wouldn’t let me flick like the board kept sticking to the point it felt sketchy to even try. I ollies a few times did some nose slides but the whole time it felt weird like no connection like I wasn’t riding the board just staying on top of it. So they are gonna be work shoes because they are super comfy. Oh and also jay nev pointed out in the other thread the bottom of the sole was white. I f def isn’t think much of it but it left white chalky rubber shit all over my board from standing on it. I expected it to be where the flick is but yeah.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 04:27:51 PM »
They definitely seem like super solid shoes, almost too solid as regular skate shoes, but might last longer than normal pro versions for work or just wearing around.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 04:50:12 PM »
That’s looks like the same outsole that’s on the crockett 2 but there’s some added heel cup piece there. And all of em have a gum bottom

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 07:33:21 PM »
We had those all black BMX SK8-His at my shop. The sole felt really good, not too thick, boardfeel would be good for sure. As mentioned basically the exact same sole as the Crockett but just looks a little different.

If I still rocked Vans I would definitely prefer that sole to the vulc.