Author Topic: airport fashion  (Read 2920 times)

BieberStance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -17
airport fashion
« on: November 20, 2020, 05:47:08 PM »
i had to fly a few times more than usual in the last weeks despite corona for family and business reasons because i live abroad of where i am actually from in a way.

for the first time i paid attention to what people are wearing at airports.
my go-to was always either sweatpants and hoodie to be comfortable or basically everything layered on me that won´t fit in handluggage but i felt neccessary to take with me.

i realised that alot of people dress to impress super hard. like especially all the women i saw were draped head to toe in designer. in a flashy branded way. otherwise i wouldn´t have realised because my knowledge is limited.
even if people went for "comfy" it was always yeezies, off white, loubutins and therelike. often paired with yogapants for the easy going vibe and then guccisweaters or so.
acneand burberry scarfs everywere, lv bags, and so on.

same for the guys. what i realised there was that the hairgame was on fleek all the time.
like as if they just went to a barber 10min preflight. alot of wax and effort.

once i realised i felt very much underdressed and slacking for a moment. i know it is for no reason and it doesn´t matter at all. and once i reflected it, i put that feels aside. but it felt weird.

has it always been like this at airports and i have been blind to it and that is maybe the way to go or is that a kind of new phenomen?
How do you go about it?

disclaimer: i am not hating on them people dressing up. they can do whatever they want. i was just wondering who they try to impress and why. i was always under the impression that there is no other place where "i will never see that person ever again" fits more than at an airport

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
Re: airport fashion
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 06:36:04 PM »
I agree
Singlet boardies and thongs and a jumper in my hand you’re going on holidays mate, get comfortable

I would swap out for trakkies and or ugg boots if it was cold though

One time I flew for a wedding and I was fairly well dressed, people do treat you way better if you’re well dressed
Fuck those people though

listen to cosmic psychos

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 06:39:35 PM »
I fly twice a week a for work so I can say with relative certainty that the majority of all people I see are wearing some hella expensive designer shit that looks comfortable but fucking ridiculous.

I will always wear a pair of dickies cargos, a hat and some comfortable shoes and usually have my board strapped to my back pack
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 04:33:33 AM »
I seem to always see pasty European looking people with bowl cuts and those enormous Balenciaga shoes.

Track pants, hoodie and a long sleeve.
Sneakers that are easy to slip on and off on long haul flights.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Grind King Rims

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 05:31:42 AM »
I can imagine a lot of people who are dressed up like that are going on holiday. I've noticed this especially with English people. Before going on holiday they'll get a new outfit, a haircut, etc. Make an event of it. And why not? I've never really been on a holiday like that, only travelled for skating/music, so I'm usually dressed in something comfy because air travel sucks.

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 08:45:25 AM »
I see so many dorky kids in Supreme and Kanye sneakers at the airport. I don't know how anybody can pretend that brand is cool anymore.

Fun tip. Wear a suit. Doesn't have to be a fancy one. Lots of suits are actually super comfy. My go to travel suit feels like pajamas. You get treated so much better by everybody. I'm an artist and am otherwise normally in paint splattered army surplus, etc.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 09:20:04 AM »
Ed hardy head to toe

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 12:39:44 PM »
An old roommate of mine’s dad worked for an airline company for over 20 years, but required his son to wear a full suit on any flight.

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 03:43:44 PM »
I wear my oldest pair of socks and throw them away when I arrive.  I hate carrying dirty socks around

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1221
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 05:27:54 PM »
It’s basically psychological warfare.  Details have been meticulously arranged, monetary values have been mentally calculated and recalculated and conspicuous consumption items are all in place.  These are all there to make you feel as if you’re wasting your life.  Will you get that promotion?  Maybe... maybe not- but even if you do, you’ll never have the house they do or vacation where they vacation or have the countertops they have.  They were simply born better than you and NO they don’t have time to explain why because they are very busy making money and having hot sex with interesting people and besides you’d probably be too dumb to understand anyhow. 

I guess one nice thing is that all of these people have seen at least one other person that they know has one-upped them in some way. They caught a glimpse of some $900 Italian ski jacket or something and thought “oh, fuck...”

That’s why I fly in a stained Donald Duck sweatshirt and a pair of Air Monarchs.  So people think I’m on my way back to the home after visiting Grandma and Grandpa.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 05:44:33 PM »
I’m an ugly lazy American, one my first times out of country I had a layover at Stockholm airport.  Hahah I felt so self conscious but was ok with it.  It’s interesting to see how other people live.
I’m older so function over fashion.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 06:03:10 PM »
What kind of airports are you going to? Whenever i've left Australia everyone is dressed completely normal/average except for a select few in business attire.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1374
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 06:22:23 PM »
before pandemic I flew coast to coast in the US a few times per year. There are always so many sexy, rich international ladies  dressed to the nines in the west coast international airport. Arab women whose skin tight outfit is worth more than anything I own and the plastic surgery Colombiana... east coast airports ain't got shit on California airports as far as that goes  ::) 
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 982
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 06:48:38 PM »
one time erykah badu sat next to me

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 06:56:03 PM »
I see so many dorky kids in Supreme and Kanye sneakers at the airport. I don't know how anybody can pretend that brand is cool anymore.

Fun tip. Wear a suit. Doesn't have to be a fancy one. Lots of suits are actually super comfy. My go to travel suit feels like pajamas. You get treated so much better by everybody. I'm an artist and am otherwise normally in paint splattered army surplus, etc.

i used to do this.  felt like a big shot, but i probably looked like a 22 year old manchild playing grownup.  i did get treated a lot better.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2021, 06:55:41 AM »
I used to basically travel 3 weeks out of the month for work so I was the master of being able to transition from airport fashion to casual business attire.
I was once reading a fashion magazine in an airport actually and the article said that in your 30s/ 40s that’s basically how you should aim to dress all the time; you wear clothes that allow you to add or subtract one or two items to transition between your “on” and “off” time.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2021, 07:04:57 AM »
My travel gear has been:
-Nike running shorts
-black tank top
-Nike flip flops

I go for the laziest comfort possible. Never had the extra frisking in this either.
Give me the plane blanket and some pills and I'm sleepin the ride away

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2021, 07:12:16 AM »
Also, was thinking about it. The high fashion women that I've seen in the lines are usually the ones that wake me up walking back and forth up the aisles barefoot, looking like a tornado, in the middle of the night. Makes me laugh

mushroom slice

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2021, 07:24:37 AM »

I second the suit. You get treated better by people it’s true. Solid advice.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2021, 08:11:07 AM »
I still see at least one von Dutch hat on any flight.

Also alot of germans wearing camp david polos.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 457
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2021, 08:28:21 AM »
I always wear a suit. I've wanted to travel in loose pajama pants my whole life but an airline employee dress code haunts me.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2021, 10:06:20 AM »
I dress the same as I always do when I fly. Usually just jeans and whatever layered tops. I generally try to leave the house looking presentable. I’m not a fan of sweat pants outdoors. Not knocking anyone for it though. Jeans when you’re on a long flight isn’t the most functional.

I think part of the reason people might dress up has to do with social media and others perception of them. When I used to go on Instagram you’d always have people posting travel selfies and “creating content”, so you have to look the part.

animalflesh

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2021, 10:10:42 AM »
Usually it goes like this

Underwear/ Gym shorts/ sweatpants all in a layer

T shirt/ flannel in a layer (if it’s winter I have my jacket on then just lay it behind me on the chair once I’m on the plane)

Beanie

Slip ons (if it’s winter then boots with totally loosened up laces and slip ons in my carry on)

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 03:32:04 PM »
I fly twice a week a for work so I can say with relative certainty that the majority of all people I see are wearing some hella expensive designer shit that looks comfortable but fucking ridiculous.

I will always wear a pair of dickies cargos, a hat and some comfortable shoes and usually have my board strapped to my back pack

for the future, What Airlines let you take your board on? I try to get cheap tickets and all the budget airlines always make me gate check my board, I hate it
Proverbs 27:17

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 03:50:55 PM »
I always dress to the nines; flying is an occasion

HisNameIsntWarren

• Rep: 49
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 06:24:37 PM »
Goddamn we got everyone shitting on Lucien for taking LVs money but got a gang of dudes up in here wearing suits on flights what the hell is happening.

Welcome to the OC bitch! This is how it’s done in Orange County.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 06:44:42 PM »
I wear the exact same boring ass skate uniform I wear everyday.

Skate shoes, jeans, t-shirt and hoodie.

I hate sitting next to most businessmen/woman who are all dressed up. About 50% of the time they try to talk down to me or feel they have the right to invade my space.

I remember bullshiting with the ticket agent and the dude upgraded me to first on a short flight from Toronto to NYC. The businessman I sat next next to wanted to store his bag under the seat in front of me so he could spread out.

Also, I've noticed I can always tell where I'm going based on people are dressed. Flying into Phoenix is always interesting. All the women have blonde hair, horrible clothes, and conspicuous jewelry.

And, the way people act on the plane seems to differ as well. I've noticed on the flights I've been on recently the Americans just entertain themselves and people in scandinavia are always working on some spreadsheet or presentation.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 07:14:47 PM »
growing up, flying was strictly on buddy passes. when i got older i had another connect that was similar. i always wore at least a collared shirt. the airlines want you dressed nice if they are paying.

once i got into my late 20s and realized you could use alcohol to subside the anxiety of being trapped in that tiny seat for hours, it sorta went out the window. doesn't really matter if you have a nice shirt on when you're 3 beers deep at 7:20am at the airport bar.

the reason people dressed up in the past was because flying was something special. the reason you see people dressed up now is because they either dress up like a dork (fashion/streetwear shit) all the time, or because they are traveling for business.

once you sweat through your seat on a hangover flight from a bachelor party it all sorta goes out the window and you just dress as you normally would.

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2021, 05:07:21 AM »
Does anyone else make up crazy stupid back stories about their life to complete strangers on flights?

On my way back to Aus I was taking my BMX helmet and I convinced this family at Singapore airport that I was a pro BMXer, even made up a fake bike company.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2021, 05:48:25 PM »
Goddamn we got everyone shitting on Lucien for taking LVs money but got a gang of dudes up in here wearing suits on flights what the hell is happening.

Spend $500 in a suit, and live life as a grownup, or spend $1200 on some puffy sneakers and look like a 9 year old on their way to basketball practice.