Author Topic: Ryan Lay of Etnies  (Read 4261 times)

Baby on Board

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 33
Ryan Lay of Etnies
« on: November 20, 2020, 09:41:04 PM »
https://instagram.com/stories/ryan_lay/2446871069606260385?igshid=1kvzlkiy2fne7

Lay is sick, where’s he gonna end up? Vans would be weird. State would be kinda tight.

Edit: for anyone not on IG he’s skating what looks like old schools or Kyle walkers first shoe on his story
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 09:47:56 PM by Baby on Board »

MareVitals

• Rep: -38
Re: Ryan Lay of Etnies
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 10:09:27 PM »
Welp there goes the only dude I cared about on etnies. State would be cool.

Ed boy

• Rep: 79
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 10:09:30 PM »
He's been of Etnies for a while now

Not sure what his situation with Vans is but I could see them getting behind him and that Skate After School program he runs

He's an incredible skateboarder who deserves a steady check and Kader just free'd up some of their team budget ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 11:43:07 PM »
He’s been of since last year, getting mostly vans but I seen him riding the cupsole state shoes too.

I think Vans should make the move, Ryan is great on and off the wall board.

Baby on Board

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 11:45:28 PM »
He’s been of since last year, getting mostly vans but I seen him riding the cupsole state shoes too.

That’s crazy. Pretty sure he had some etnies on for that NY trip Krux just took with a couple riders. Can’t believe he’s been off that long. Etnies should just can it and have Emerica/es under sole tech

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 12:43:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That’s crazy. Pretty sure he had some etnies on for that NY trip Krux just took with a couple riders. Can’t believe he’s been off that long. Etnies should just can it and have Emerica/es under sole tech

I think he was riding the States Pacifica during the Krux NY trip -> https://ibb.co/XZWvPMy

Baby on Board

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 12:47:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think he was riding the States Pacifica during the Krux NY trip -> https://ibb.co/XZWvPMy

Ah shit you right! Those are states for sure. Damn that would be tight.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 01:53:00 AM »
His been off for a good minute now.
Also rocking suede vans which seems like a bit of an identity crisis. I was messaging him a while back and he was like, “I can’t find a good vegan shoes, let alone a shoe I like to skate, so I’m just rocking these.”
I sent him like 6 different ideas for good vegan skate shoes in 2020 (non sole-tech too cuz it doesn’t look like it ended well with them) and he seemed genuinely stoked but it still just rocking those vans, maybe they sent him a tonne of boxes? Bit of a cop out really; I’m sure if he told vans he was vegan, they’d be happy to accommodate his request.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 04:49:03 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 04:18:39 AM »
Could see him on Gallaz

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 05:33:28 AM »
Carriuma makes a vegan shoe. Maybe he can hitch his wagon to that star. When has Mike V. ever been wrong?!

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 06:32:50 AM »
He's been of Etnies for a while now

Not sure what his situation with Vans is but I could see them getting behind him and that Skate After School program he runs

He's an incredible skateboarder who deserves a steady check and Kader just free'd up some of their team budget ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Skate After School program is so dope... Ryan Lay is gnarly on the board and off the board.

Roger Mexico

• Rep: 22
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 08:05:22 AM »
Ryan's rad. Have been really enjoying his "Give me a trick to do" stories on instagram. Totally agree that it would be super sick if he ended up on state.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 08:12:42 AM »
Ryan deserves a shoe pay check for sure.
Hope gets one or is getting one.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 08:14:57 AM »
Ryan Lay deserves all the sponsors. As sad as it is to say, he's pretty much the last good thing Arizona has going for it.

michael scarn

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 09:02:37 AM »
He's been off etnies for a while now.

He's not getting another shoe sponsor. He's one of those rare pros that actually has a life outside of pro skateboarding and he's at that age where he probably doesn't want to sign another contract.

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 10:15:50 AM »
Ryan rips, has a good heart and works on interesting, socially-driven projects like Skate After School as well as with SkatePAL. I understand the skateboard industry is driven on connections and one's instagram reach, but the fact Etnies/another shoe company is not interested in a skater of character and personal substance like Ryan is so bizarre to me.

That said, past interviews of his point to his awareness of how fickle the skateboard industry is and I imagine he will be just fine and keep pushing projects that matter. Looking forward to his next part, whenever that is.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 10:52:26 AM »
State or Ipath
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2020, 01:16:34 PM »
Ryan on state would be perfect

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 01:43:36 PM »
He's been off etnies for a while now.

He's not getting another shoe sponsor. He's one of those rare pros that actually has a life outside of pro skateboarding and he's at that age where he probably doesn't want to sign another contract.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2020, 02:11:57 PM »

He had a Solo Magazine interview recently where he basically concedes that skateboarding for a living is over, and he talks about how he's approaching things moving forward.

> https://soloskatemag.com/en/ryan-lay-finding-the-right-thing

What is your job there [at Skate After School]?
I work with the board of directors, I handle all the fundraising, marketing, photo stuff, managing the budget, making sure that we’re on track with our annual goals. Most of the time when I’m at the program I’m filming, shooting photos or working on creative projects. It’s a lot of fun. I realized during the first few years, as much as I love working for kids, I don’t necessarily have the temperament to handle 30 screaming kids that just got out of school. [laughs]

Is this your career plan for the time after skateboarding?
In a lot of ways, I am moving into the after already. I’ll probably become a full-time staff member at some point this year. I haven’t had a lot of stability with skating in the past, so I’ve worked hard to transition into this and skate when I can.

What does “not much stability” mean?
To put it clearly, I don’t make a living with skateboarding, [laughs] and now I’m in my early thirties. I love skating, I had great opportunities and I continue to work on projects I’m into, like this interview, but I also realized that, at a certain point, you have to make some calculations. There are also other things out there I want to do and accomplish. I’m really excited for this next stage in my life and thankful to have sponsors that are on board with it, but it’s hard in skating right now, there’s not much of a middle class. There are a lot of income disparities and inequalities, just like in every other industry. There are people who have shoe deals with the big brands and they make a decent living. For everyone else, it’s kind of hollowed out.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2020, 03:30:12 PM »
Also rocking suede vans which seems like a bit of an identity crisis. I was messaging him a while back and he was like, “I can’t find a good vegan shoes, let alone a shoe I like to skate, so I’m just rocking these.”
I sent him like 6 different ideas for good vegan skate shoes in 2020 (non sole-tech too cuz it doesn’t look like it ended well with them) and he seemed genuinely stoked but it still just rocking those vans, maybe they sent him a tonne of boxes? Bit of a cop out really; I’m sure if he told vans he was vegan, they’d be happy to accommodate his request.

Ryan is sick and it’s well known he’s vegan so if they didn’t give enough of a shit to send him all vegan shoes initially, I doubt they’ll care enough to do it if he asks nicely, especially since he’s not fully on the team or probably on anything more than friendly flow/helping someone out.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2020, 04:13:09 PM »
First of all he was one of the first people in the Filmbot Files
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

irunknee

• Rep: -3
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2020, 07:12:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He had a Solo Magazine interview recently where he basically concedes that skateboarding for a living is over, and he talks about how he's approaching things moving forward.

> https://soloskatemag.com/en/ryan-lay-finding-the-right-thing

What is your job there [at Skate After School]?
I work with the board of directors, I handle all the fundraising, marketing, photo stuff, managing the budget, making sure that we’re on track with our annual goals. Most of the time when I’m at the program I’m filming, shooting photos or working on creative projects. It’s a lot of fun. I realized during the first few years, as much as I love working for kids, I don’t necessarily have the temperament to handle 30 screaming kids that just got out of school. [laughs]

Is this your career plan for the time after skateboarding?
In a lot of ways, I am moving into the after already. I’ll probably become a full-time staff member at some point this year. I haven’t had a lot of stability with skating in the past, so I’ve worked hard to transition into this and skate when I can.

What does “not much stability” mean?
To put it clearly, I don’t make a living with skateboarding, [laughs] and now I’m in my early thirties. I love skating, I had great opportunities and I continue to work on projects I’m into, like this interview, but I also realized that, at a certain point, you have to make some calculations. There are also other things out there I want to do and accomplish. I’m really excited for this next stage in my life and thankful to have sponsors that are on board with it, but it’s hard in skating right now, there’s not much of a middle class. There are a lot of income disparities and inequalities, just like in every other industry. There are people who have shoe deals with the big brands and they make a decent living. For everyone else, it’s kind of hollowed out.

Further confirms the obvious suspicions. Only 2% of pro's and am's are making a decent living. The rest, w/o a Nike, Adidas, Vans, or RedBull/Monster contract, must be getting by in California on what 30k/year with minimal health insurance? And that's only going to last 5-8 years?

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2020, 07:14:59 PM »
Could see him on last resort

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2020, 08:03:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ryan is sick and it’s well known he’s vegan so if they didn’t give enough of a shit to send him all vegan shoes initially, I doubt they’ll care enough to do it if he asks nicely, especially since he’s not fully on the team or probably on anything more than friendly flow/helping someone out.
then that really sucks, I told him to just go and buy some NB# 420s, best vegan cupsole out at the moment. If he doesn’t get on state I could actually see him on NB#
@rothdigga send him some 420s!

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2020, 08:04:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

"Coolness" aside, there's no earthly way that eS is doing better as a brand than Etnies.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2020, 08:20:39 PM »
he’s so fucking good at skateboarding it’s not fair
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2020, 08:31:50 PM »
Ryan's rad. Have been really enjoying his "Give me a trick to do" stories on instagram. Totally agree that it would be super sick if he ended up on state.

This is seriously impressive. Ryan can do anything on a board
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2020, 09:42:34 PM »
he’s so fucking good at skateboarding it’s not fair
what’s worse is that he should be a millionaire but instead rides for welcome and Krux ψ(`∇´)ψ

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2020, 09:45:08 PM »
Welcome was (is?) doing well so I hope they can at least support him somewhat. It's obviously not enough to be a full-time pro but I hope it's better than nothing.

I'd buy a bunch of his pro models if they were on a shape with a more rounded tail just to show how neat I think his work is.