Author Topic: Moving Out  (Read 1933 times)

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
Re: Moving Out
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2020, 11:55:26 PM »
I moved out a few weeks before my 16th bday. I hated high school and took extra credits to graduate really early.

So crazy, my family held a big party when I graduated and a bunch of furniture etc was in my dads truck and towing a small u haul.

Anyways I didnt think much about it and we had supper and a good time.

Turns out my dad had a gift for me and I was pretty excited.

What was the gift? That damn furniture and he secured me a really run down house, and paid first and last.

Trial by fire but it worked out fine. I had to work 3 really shitty jobs but all in all I'd say it was a good experience
Gentleman ninja warlock

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2020, 01:01:48 AM »
i kinda moved out with 16, basically started living with friends. i came back proper to the parents house with 18 to finish school and do my civil service and then i moved out for good with 20. i am now 35.

having rent saved up is smart and priceless, not everyone can even do that. just pay your bills and keep tabs on your spendings from the start. be fiscally responsible. you will eventually learn everything else. some things you can only learn by living with others. don't expect living with friends or moving in with a gf to be a good experience. but it builds your character.

take care of your apartment, if you sloth out too much it's gonna be a pain to keep the simplest things clean, if you break shit, you might have to pay for em, at least when you move out. learned that the hard way myself. look up how heating and water works so you can save on that. lots of stuff drawing power and water while you're not noticing that can cost a pretty penny. always keep in your head that if you didn't buy the apartment you live in someone elses pad basically. just know all the stuff has to work as before or you will pay for it.

definetly have a look with the landlord what works in the pad and what doesn't. make a checklist, so if somethings broken, it's not on you, and can also get fixed before you move in. or maybe you can offer to fix it yourself and in turn save a bit off rent for a month. just make sure there's no broken shit no one knows about that you have to pay for later because the next person renting it out finds out and complains about you breaking it.

where i live you usually have to make a safety deposit for when you leave broken shit or if you miss rent. i'd advise to have a sort of backup deposit saved up if possible. so you can move without waiting for payout of the last one.

enjoy the new freedom as much as possible because when you settle down you will probably have to give up a lot of it again.

HombreezysShittyPasta

• Rep: -53
  • olive garden
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2020, 06:19:54 AM »
Op post a update like a few weeks after you move out and settle in wherever that is. It would be kind of rude not to and plus we can all give you shit laugh about a new roomie and give more advice if you need it etc

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2020, 12:17:01 PM »
I was 17 at first, moved back in when I was 22 then left for good when I was 25. During my early 20’s I hung around my now wife’s apartment 80% of the time that I wasn’t working, skating, or doing grad school assignments.

Felt like I was gaming the system more than anything. Not having real bills made up for being underemployed, and I’m sure I would’ve been far more insecure about my living situation if I was single.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2020, 07:51:51 AM »
Spent 18 to about 25 backpacking eveywhere and spending some winters in BC ski bumming, then I’d come back to my folks’ for a few months and leave again.

Around 25-26 my backpacking and ski bumming phases were over, I came back and stayed about 10 months to save as much money as possible so I could live on my own with no room mates and have been gone ever since. I’ve been in the same apartment for 6 years and rent isn’t too expensive.

Be careful about moving in with friends, I have very close friends (practically brothers) I’d never live with. Then again, I don’t like living with room mates altogether, unless it’s a girlfriend. After traveling a lot and living in shitty places with a bunch of people, I now value my personal space way too much.

The one piece of advice I’d give you is be careful when grocery shopping and don’t buy too much food at once unless you plan on making a bunch of meals in advance and freezing them (another good tip). You have no idea how much fresh food I lost and wasted in my first year because I’d just buy way too much stuff and I’d lose a lot of it. This adds up to a lot of money wasted in the end.

I did the college dorm thing.  I had a dining plan.  We would steal mad food.  The best was to take an empty backpack, put an empty tupperware in the bottom, go to the make your own sandwhich bar and make a sandwhich with like 2lbs of cold cuts and slip it into the tupperware. 

My parents gave me $200/mo for spending money and a credit card for emergencies.  It was pretty socially unacceptable to charge for parties at my school and since I was a first year (And an awesome dude) most of the frats were trying to recruit me, so drinking was pretty much free.   

College is such a bubble compared to the rest of society.  I couldn't imagine trying to roll out on my own in a city like NYC, SF, LA, DC, Boston, etc. 

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2020, 08:56:18 AM »
16.  Bought a $800 beater, hid it from my parents for a few days into my next paycheck. Bounced from PA to IL to line with a friend while following my gf at the time when her family moved.  The kids family let me live in their porch on a fold out. Lived of nutty bars and pbjs. Super fun time.  Took me 20+ years to get it together enough to buy a home though.  Had 3-4 years of homelessness in Boulder CO scattered in-between.  Camping above Nederland and hitching to a literally shitty kennel tech job was super fun. Easy to save money with zero rent.  Bought a 67 vw bus and parked it begins alfalfa's by the library for another year or so too.  Inverter for coffee, hot plate and even tv/dvd, at that time it was cutting edge tech to have supper on the van roof. 

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 645
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2020, 10:00:40 AM »
My parents always made me do a ton of chores growing up, and essentially made me learn how to cook at a pretty young age. This was a huge blessing in disguise because by the time I moved out, I was pretty used to cooking and cleaning for a family of four.

I moved out at 21 after finishing community college and transferring to a four-year university. I lived in the transfer dorms for my first year, and was lucky enough to live in the same building as two of my close friends that transferred with me. While it was expensive as hell to live in a crammed three person dorm room, I'm still glad I did it because it felt like I got the true "college experience."

After that, I moved into a shitty house off-campus with those same two friends. There were eight people living in that three bedroom house all together, which was wild but the only way to get cheap rent in this California beach town. It sounds terrible but we all became close friends and it was overall a fun (but messy) experience. This was my first real experience at living on my own and thanks to my overbearing Asian American parents, I was relatively ready for it. In comparison, most of my housemates could barely cook for themselves and one of them would bring his dirty laundry back to his parents' house to do. I was going to school full-time, working between one to three part-time jobs at all times, and still had time to do fun college things.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2020, 06:49:17 AM »
Boarding school from 15. University from 17. Worked over 10,000km away from 20.

'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2020, 06:35:11 PM »
Op post a update like a few weeks after you move out and settle in wherever that is. It would be kind of rude not to and plus we can all give you shit laugh about a new roomie and give more advice if you need it etc
I got you. It wont be anytime soon unfortunately. Not stoked on my job at all right now and want to find a new one first before apartment searching.

HombreezysShittyPasta

• Rep: -53
  • olive garden
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2020, 10:29:50 PM »
No rush homie. Times have changed and now the average age of people moving out and out again is in the late 20s apparently. Idk how i feel about that late 20s because theres a whole world out there despite how small it seems from the internet but youre still doin fine

Post your stories everyone

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2020, 04:32:13 AM »
I remember a mate telling me his best advice on moving in with others was to buy something nice within a few days (at the time a PS1 was the best bet) and when they comment on how nice or new it is just turn and say

"yea, some cunt owed me some money".

Apparently he used to reckon that made you look sketchy and no one would touch your shit. I did this on my first time moving in with the sketchiest goth girl and despite being a total nightmare she never once went through any of my shit. Didn't even take any of my milk out the fridge.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2020, 05:16:35 AM »
Just turned 18, and my my dad, who had been telling me I had to get a job after I graduated from high school 5 months prior and got a job at a local hotel, informed me I didn’t get his point.

MOVE OUT AND GET A JOB. I wanted to ski bum a year before university, also he offered me advice to go work in Banff National Park at a resort.

I got a job and off I went, spending Christmas alone in a cold dorm room working for a big hotel.

Had one of the best times of my life.

Cheap rent in the dorm, had a meal plan in the hotel, and everything I made was spending money (and I’m still not great with cash).

Spent two winters doing that, but got on to uni when I say what kind of a black hole that easy lifestyle was.

But I fell in love with the ski bum lifestyle, and still work at resorts every winter.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea