Author Topic: mycology. Anyone into foraging wild mushrooms?  (Read 848 times)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
mycology. Anyone into foraging wild mushrooms?
« on: November 21, 2020, 05:29:43 PM »
Like the title asks, any of y'all get into foraging wild mushrooms?

It's a pretty new hobby for me and I'm having a good time getting into it. I spend a lot of time walking in the woods anyways and this is a great way to learn about tree species and poke around a little more. Not to mention it's really pretty sweet to find something that I can take home and eat and/or share with people. Other than cubes, I wasn't a mushroom eater until I started foraging this summer.

I hauled a bunch of yellow foot today, a chanterelle, and a lobster. 2 weeks ago I found a pair of King Boletes and some Lobster. Last week a pound of so of lobster and 1 King Bolete.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Telly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: mycology. Anyone into foraging wild mushrooms?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 06:03:23 PM »
Morels>the rest

Honestly the hunt for the morel is one of my favorite things in the spring.  I don’t particularly enjoy eating them but they make great drop off gifts for neighbors who are too old to go looking themselves anymore.   

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 06:07:19 PM »
Morels>the rest

Honestly the hunt for the morel is one of my favorite things in the spring.  I don’t particularly enjoy eating them but they make great drop off gifts for neighbors who are too old to go looking themselves anymore.

I found one morel 2 years ago. They're kind of elusive. All the others are super abundant. I found well over 100 yellow feet today.

Look for Lobster mushrooms- they actually taste something close to lobster meat.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 12:22:18 AM »
Found a giant chicken of the woods along the AT this year. Huge huge, and not old at all.  Chanterelles sometimes too.
Morels are the only time I go out with searching as my purpose.  2 months ago they cut down the woods where the best morel spot I know was. Literally bulldozed it flat to make a new intermodal Train Yard. Still hoping there's a few left next spring.
I made a morel slury and spread it through my yard 3 years ago. Next spring I found 3 morels, but the year after, nothing

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -137
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 12:34:24 AM »
Take spore prints and grow em out!
Gentleman ninja warlock

Telly

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 07:28:56 AM »
I’ve heard of every trick in the book for morels, fact is they require a dying/dead tree to grow.  Spreading spores, leaving dead ones, etc.  none of it works.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 08:04:48 AM »
Take spore prints and grow em out!
Exactly. Can't be that hard considering my friends do it.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 08:24:09 AM »
I had an organic chemistry professor who warned us that the delicious morel is sometimes mistaken for similar looking mushrooms that contain monomethylhydrazine, or some such toxic compound. Be safe out there, mycolleagues!

I think I’m funny.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Telly

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 08:43:38 AM »
I had an organic chemistry professor who warned us that the delicious morel is sometimes mistaken for similar looking mushrooms that contain monomethylhydrazine, or some such toxic compound. Be safe out there, mycolleagues!

I think I’m funny.

There is the false morel and the half-free morel, both of which should be avoided.  Once you know the difference they are easy to spot.  Also, even true morels should be washed and cooked thoroughly to avoid gastrointestinal issues. 

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 10:49:07 AM »
I’ve heard of every trick in the book for morels, fact is they require a dying/dead tree to grow.  Spreading spores, leaving dead ones, etc.  none of it works.

The slurry I used had Ash and oak mulch with molasses. Where they popped up was only under the old Oak tree of course.  This year the weather just wasnt that great in my area. The few times the weather was sweet, I was stuck at work. 
There's a spot I got taken to in northern VA where the white morels grow big as a first.  Coworker and I picked 8 jugs in 4 hours there.  Not sure why they sell and barter morels in "jugs" around MD,PA,WVa,VA.  Never heard the term elsewhere.

This and mycelium running late always good reads.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 02:22:12 PM »
My favorite ones are Boletus and Sparassis Crispa (cauliflower fungus). I only look for those two basicly since they are super easy to classify and there are no poisenous ones that resemble them. At least not in the center of Germany were I go look for them. I wish I knew a bit more about mushrooms and I could collect other kinds of mushrooms as well. There are some super poiseness ones in my area, especially the Amanita phalloides (deathcap), which resembles the delicius Agaricus kinds.
Last year I found alot of Boletus. This year I only went once and I did not find a single one. It was probably a bit too early in the year.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 03:37:28 PM »
I was looking for Chicken of the Woods when I Was visiting the US east coast during late September/early October. I didn't find any. I did however stumble across a big fat Cauliflower mushroom.

What's cool is finding the harder to find ones and remembering the spot with hopes that the will grow there again the following year

Telly

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 04:51:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The slurry I used had Ash and oak mulch with molasses. Where they popped up was only under the old Oak tree of course.  This year the weather just wasnt that great in my area. The few times the weather was sweet, I was stuck at work. 
There's a spot I got taken to in northern VA where the white morels grow big as a first.  Coworker and I picked 8 jugs in 4 hours there.  Not sure why they sell and barter morels in "jugs" around MD,PA,WVa,VA.  Never heard the term elsewhere.

This and mycelium running late always good reads.

I’ve tried most every method.  Using bags with holes, only picking half of the morels we came across, nothing works like nature. 
Best advice I know of for morels is to look up almost as much as you look down.  Look for elms or other hardwoods with no leaves but bark still attached to the tree.  Soil temp is also important.  Don’t go too early or you will just step on all the baby mushrooms and you’ll miss out.  Patience patience patience.  Find a good spot.  Take one step.  Look around for 30 seconds.  Take another step, look around for 30 seconds. 
Don’t be discouraged by videos other people take.  Most of that is pre-planned.

Telly

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 04:52:10 PM »
Or recently burned areas are good for black morels. 
Apple orchards are good too, but beware of poison.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
  • Get bent
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 06:43:49 PM »
I bought that book Ryan Reyes was using in that Jenkem vid they made a year back or so about foraging for mushrooms...still haven’t used it properly though, super interested in it though, if there are any slap pals around Austin that wanna go out and show a greenhorn the ropes let me know
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 06:58:22 PM »
I love going to grab them in the Winter here (in South East Melbourne OZ), they grow everywhere in the pine forests so it's pretty easy - we get Saffron Milk Caps and Slippery Jacks but I don't trust picking anything else. I usually make burgers or a Bolognese, it's sick.
You can also get all Ryan Reyes on it and get some Blue Meanies or Gold Caps, they're everywhere - my homie has them growing in his front lawn.     

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 08:39:56 PM »
I love going to grab them in the Winter here (in South East Melbourne OZ), they grow everywhere in the pine forests so it's pretty easy - we get Saffron Milk Caps and Slippery Jacks but I don't trust picking anything else. I usually make burgers or a Bolognese, it's sick.
You can also get all Ryan Reyes on it and get some Blue Meanies or Gold Caps, they're everywhere - my homie has them growing in his front lawn.     

you like the slippery jacks? I heard they're kinda gross.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 09:19:04 PM »
I hve some chanterelles spots that I visit every summer, beyond that I know very little but think it's pretty interesting.

HombreezysShittyPasta

• Rep: -53
  • olive garden
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2020, 10:18:41 PM »
Im impressed fr

Cellular

• Rep: 16
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2020, 10:48:18 PM »
how would one get into mycology? seems like a fun hobby Id like to try.

I mean he is kinda doing dog drugs so I fuck with it

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2020, 07:09:57 AM »

Alot of books, message boards and even more walking through the bush and farm country
Gentleman ninja warlock

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2020, 07:48:55 AM »
some chantarelle, karl johan (boletus), cauliflower. Some spots in forest nearby, or on my walk towards it more. Wild boar eat most in the forest itself but closer to the roads theres plenty, although abit late this year

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2020, 01:40:09 PM »
haven't gotten into foraging but it's fun looking for different mushrooms/fungi on hikes or walks through the woods. coolest one i've seen so far is probably psuedohydnum gelatinosum. anyone in the vancouver area by any chance?

pistachio

• Rep: -4
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2020, 09:18:32 PM »

What’s been mentioned already is good advice, but I’d also suggest picking up Audubon’s mushroom book. It’s super expansive and has good pictures and info, then see what your area may hold and really dial your info in on those species so that you’re familiar enough to safely ingest. I’m a big fan of carrying my mushrooms in a mesh bag to hopefully spread spores while walking and always leaving at least a third of the flush.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2020, 04:58:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What’s been mentioned already is good advice, but I’d also suggest picking up Audubon’s mushroom book. It’s super expansive and has good pictures and info, then see what your area may hold and really dial your info in on those species so that you’re familiar enough to safely ingest. I’m a big fan of carrying my mushrooms in a mesh bag to hopefully spread spores while walking and always leaving at least a third of the flush.
Johnny Appleseed...Scotty Spore Sower.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2020, 08:06:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Johnny Appleseed...Scotty Spore Sower.

Pretty popular method amongst us
Gentleman ninja warlock

ohcomeon

• Rep: -3
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2020, 08:46:36 AM »

I think I’m funny.

And dont forget unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine, that stuff will make your tummy wish it was on the moon,