Author Topic: Show us your crust.....  (Read 2357 times)

Jory4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 106
Show us your crust.....
« on: November 22, 2020, 07:03:07 AM »
So following the little mini hijack of the Tom Knox thread and some great posts by one of my fellow Brits I thought it might be quite fun to post some less than perfect spots.....

This is my local slappy spot - it’s as good as it gets round here....... note the rough road surface and the grass sticking up between the curb blocks. The sidewalk behind the curb is as rough as the road.

Also my local bowl, Zoom in on the coping on the left to see the holes in the platform concrete

[/quote]

Jory4

Re: Show us your crust.....
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 07:12:45 AM »
I’m also gonna borrow one of cosmicgypsies excellent posts from further
Expand Quote
I feel like people who think Tom Knox skates deliberately crusty spots really just don't know what street skating in England is like. Most spots are pretty fucked, its not California, or even New York. And a huge amount of towns and cities have been neglected and gone into varying degrees of disrepair. England is generally just a bit fucked, so you skate whatever you can find.
[close]

there's some interview where he vaguely mentions that about the spots and how it's basically just making the best out of a bad situation - everyone in england knows they're pretty shit, but at the same time you just make do with what you've got regardless of if it's crusty or not and for the most part nobody here is bothered about it. lot of streets and roads are straight fucked up here, kind of terrain that rattles your feet into being numb if you skate it but as long as they're driveable/walkable then local councils aren't going to fix it.

on the plus side of it all though, i find it often ends up for a more enjoyable watch on film, and can often be more fun to skate if you're having to work your way around cracks and find the right routes. given alot of it is pretty old architecture too, they often end up inadvertently being pretty good spots. i live in a northern town that has a pretty big mining/shipbuilding heritage, and there's a bunch of random spots that are leftovers from that era, or just random shit in general:

some drain access in the middle of a roundabout, full pyramid:

not sure on the history of this, kinda near where an old mine was so i'd imagine it was access or storage or something:

no idea on the history/reasoning of this but its a fun spot:

shit like this which from the late 1800s would have held ships whilst coal trains above would deposit into it:

plenty of other spots but i dont wanna derail the topic, it's just funny that people think knox etc are purposely hunting out these crusty spots when a fair majority of them are shit you'd pass on a daily basis. knox obviously puts some effort in to find the spots he skates, but i doubt he's making a conscious effort to find crusty ones on purpose.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 08:16:27 AM »
Great idea for a thread. Crust rules. Can't wait to get a pair of f4 97as

Second best slappy curb

The best

Bowl

I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Jory4

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 09:26:10 AM »
At this one the road itself is slightly smoother but the curb has holes along it (for drainage)

It’s all slappy fun until your front wheel disappears into one as you hit the curb!

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 01:02:44 PM »

Slanted, crusty ledge I’m trying to turn into some semblance of a spot.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 01:40:23 PM »

Decent (neglected) court flat but rough bank with big crack/gap and then this ledge section is uneven gravel on top and the edge is separate brick all unevenly set. It’s a shame, really cool layout.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 01:51:52 PM »
aight ill dump a few more

wallride spot, part of some art installation called blue carpet, also heard the spot be callled "the dorito".

5050 on it

for some reason, oyola up on it in a 5-0 - not landed but pic gets me hyped

another bank spot, part of a railway bridge, spots known as bastard banks (named after harry bastard who has a cracking part in unabomber - headcleaner)

chewy cannon defying all logic

dunno if this spot ever got a name, but regardless its fucked. heard rumours david gonzales popped through the structure on the right and threaded the needle out of it.

pretty slim shitty "runup" unless you get a sheet of ply which we did one day and i got a back 3 no comply into it.

brick qps

stu graham hurricane

lance mountain tailblock

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 07:19:17 AM »
Some midwestern crust

Brguy

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 12:34:11 PM »
Stairs at a school near here. Bummed I wasn't good enough to skate it back then, I always wanted to try a 5-0 on that white ledge.

That's a fun one, but kinda scary, you feel like you're flying for a few seconds there. Definitely going to try more tricks in the future, and I just realized a half cab would be perfect there.

Saw this very recently, but my ankles are fucked now so I can't really skate, I'm very anxious to go back there and try something.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 03:50:12 AM »
A leftover piece of what I assume was some sort of drainage apparatus left forgotten amongst the trees behind some parking lot.

Dont know how apparent it is from the pictures, but there are little banks on each end, making for something of a teeth-rattling miniramp.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 04:06:56 AM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 05:03:23 AM »
A leftover piece of what I assume was some sort of drainage apparatus left forgotten amongst the trees behind some parking lot.

Dont know how apparent it is from the pictures, but there are little banks on each end, making for something of a teeth-rattling miniramp.

They can be so much fun and there are a lot more of them around than people might think, but some take a bit of work to get going.

One I used to go to had coping concreted into the top of one side and a parking block curb sitting on the other, so you could mix it up a bit depending on what you wanted to do.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Larry

• Rep: 8
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 05:42:23 AM »
 check out uganda skateboard society on instagram
Just shred some serious gnar.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 07:54:03 AM »

I used to come across spots like these a lot in like 88-91. Miss the adventure of finding spots nearby.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 03:10:42 PM »
Another crust submission: this cool little hip thingy surrounded by the shittiest ground.  And there is a big grease bin right next to it and uphill, so the ground is simultaneously super rough yet slippery.

Fhk

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 04:02:29 PM »
Another crust submission: this cool little hip thingy surrounded by the shittiest ground.  And there is a big grease bin right next to it and uphill, so the ground is simultaneously super rough yet slippery.

That spot is incredible. The switch BS180 looks good, and you have some gunboats on ya..don't ya?

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2021, 08:33:17 PM »
Captain’s log, crustdate 74573.4:

Fhk

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2021, 04:03:01 AM »
Captain’s log, crustdate 74573.4:

Beam me up Sneaky

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2021, 06:19:50 PM »
Computer, please Run program PNW crust sans Rain.  ;D

Spunkchild

• Rep: 38
  • Big gal
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2021, 08:33:47 AM »
the abandoned corner store, I wanna do front nose to regular next :) its supa cruztee

I have bad taste and I smell like fetta cheese