Author Topic: Spray Lacquer > Wax  (Read 4821 times)

Cellular

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 16
Spray Lacquer > Wax
« on: November 24, 2020, 08:07:06 PM »
Had a super rough curb i wanted to skate, tried spray lacquer because wax wasnt doing much.  worked wonders.  stuffs cheap too and you can get it at lowes or home depot for like $5

just wanted to share

I mean he is kinda doing dog drugs so I fuck with it

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Spray Lacquer > Wax
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 08:31:20 PM »
Rub brick first?

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 08:40:45 PM »

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 09:21:41 PM »
Rub brick and spray laquer is perfect. No wax required in my experience

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 09:32:07 AM »
Way better. Not of fan of getting wax smears along my wheels or on my grip.

Colt Cannon's Cargos

• Rep: -5
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 09:39:11 AM »
I make ledges rougher by throwing sand and dirt on them

Hellride

Lurkey

• Rep: 16
  • LA fool
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 09:47:55 AM »
What's the bust factor for rub brick and laqueur compared to just waxing something? I have a semi-high key spot I wanna get going, but worried about LE misconstruing it with graffiti/vandalism. I'm a poosey for getting in trouble.

sketchyrider

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 10:33:52 AM »
What's the bust factor for rub brick and laqueur compared to just waxing something? I have a semi-high key spot I wanna get going, but worried about LE misconstruing it with graffiti/vandalism. I'm a poosey for getting in trouble.

word, im job hunting rn, the last thing i need is some bull shit charge on my record. there's a local ledge that's begging for a little treatment though. not a real obvious spot, but nowhere to hide if cops pull up.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 11:16:19 AM »
how long does it take for the spray lacquer to dry?
ONTARIO CANADA

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 11:25:49 AM »
What if there is already wax on it? I fucked  up and rub bricked and waxed the ledge and it didn't work. Would putting laquer on it at this point be advisable?

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 12:36:22 PM »
I’ve gotten plenty of spots going with an angle grinder and clear coat, rub brick works just as well but slower.

In my experience people don’t really care or even pay attention to you doing it. But I’ve never done it in a crowded high foot traffic area.

Clear coat usually dries to the touch in an hour or two and fully “cures” in 24

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 12:41:27 PM »
Rub brick one day, come back the next day with lacquer, and come back later with wax. Just hit and run that shit.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 04:52:51 PM »
Is spray lacquer the same as clear coat? I got tons of clear coat laying around from when I was painting my own decks

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 05:49:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

word, im job hunting rn, the last thing i need is some bull shit charge on my record. there's a local ledge that's begging for a little treatment though. not a real obvious spot, but nowhere to hide if cops pull up.
Dickies and a yellow vest from Lowes or Home Depot should do the trick. As long as you don’t have your board with you it should be easy to look like you’re supposed to be there.

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 06:05:39 PM »
Is spray lacquer the same as clear coat? I got tons of clear coat laying around from when I was painting my own decks

yeah same thing

DirtyHairHalo

• Rep: 0
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2020, 06:22:12 PM »
how long does it take for the spray lacquer to dry?
Depends on the air temp, humidity and how heavy you spray it on.
20 - 30 mins. for average temps in the 70's and up with low humidity.

Do two coats and let it cure for 24 hours for best results.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2020, 06:49:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah same thing

No it ain’t this shit will make even asphalt feel like marble in 15 mins.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2020, 07:21:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Dickies and a yellow vest from Lowes or Home Depot should do the trick. As long as you don’t have your board with you it should be easy to look like you’re supposed to be there.

You’re also going to want to be wearing one of these to stay incognito.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 09:53:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah same thing
[close]

If you wanna deep dive into the semantics then no it’s not the same. Clear coat is just that, a clear coating, lacquer is technically a clear coat. From what I’ve read clear enamel coating is more durable than lacquer, the one you posted is intended for wood.

Having said that I’ve never tried the one you posted but that’s dope it cures fast could come in handy for a spot I’ve been wanting to fix up but is a bit far from my house. In the end I don’t think the brand/type matters too much, the goal is to get the ledge to grind and break in faster which just about any spray coating will achieve. Just apply a healthy amount and shit goes.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2020, 11:23:34 PM »
What if there is already wax on it? I fucked  up and rub bricked and waxed the ledge and it didn't work. Would putting laquer on it at this point be advisable?

It's not advisable to put the laquer over wax. Your best bet might be to brush it off with a wire brush or something, but maybe there is a better idea. I have a friend who rub bricked a bunch of spots, but never went quite enough. It's all about the time on the brick, live and learn.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2020, 02:05:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah same thing
[close]

[close]

If you wanna deep dive into the semantics then no it’s not the same. Clear coat is just that, a clear coating, lacquer is technically a clear coat. From what I’ve read clear enamel coating is more durable than lacquer, the one you posted is intended for wood.

Having said that I’ve never tried the one you posted but that’s dope it cures fast could come in handy for a spot I’ve been wanting to fix up but is a bit far from my house. In the end I don’t think the brand/type matters too much, the goal is to get the ledge to grind and break in faster which just about any spray coating will achieve. Just apply a healthy amount and shit goes.
It just has a picture of wood for marketing purposes. I’ve used cc enamel before but it takes to long to dry and I’m impatient. I haven’t had to wax any of the concrete ledges that I’ve lacquered but I do have to wax the enamel ones before seshs.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2020, 07:08:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Buy an orange worker vest and people will just assume youre supposed to be doing what you’re doing.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2020, 08:43:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah same thing
[close]

[close]

[close]
It just has a picture of wood for marketing purposes. I’ve used cc enamel before but it takes to long to dry and I’m impatient. I haven’t had to wax any of the concrete ledges that I’ve lacquered but I do have to wax the enamel ones before seshs.

In my experience eventually you have to wax them eventually after you grind the coating off, but it breaks the ledge in nice and at that point doesn't matter, to me anyway. Do you just keep applying the lacquer instead of waxing?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2021, 06:48:52 AM »
guys, would this be a legit enamel clear coat for a concrete ledge?

https://www.nonpaints.com/de/vht-engine-enamel-gloss-clear-288-c-motorlack-in-spruhdose-klarlack-sp145?sqr=enamel&

this is the only clear enamel lacqeur i can find in my country.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2021, 07:00:17 AM »
Rub brick and lacquer is the best way to make an unskateable ledge skateable, but if it's already treated then lacquer is definitely overkill.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2021, 07:06:24 AM »

https://www.nonpaints.com/de/vht-engine-enamel-gloss-clear-288-c-motorlack-in-spruhdose-klarlack-sp145?sqr=enamel&

no. Unless you also have a gas torch and 20 mins of flamethowing.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2021, 07:14:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

thanks for the quick reply.

i'll just read this whole thread to gather intel, kind of asked on a whim without delving in here too much.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2021, 08:00:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

i'll just read this whole thread to gather intel, kind of asked on a whim without delving in here too much.

These two are good.

https://www.hornbach.de/shop/Kunstharz-Klarlack-seidenmatt-750-ml/5244791/artikel.html
https://toom.de/p/klarlack-seidenmatt-transparent-400-ml/8200122

Pretty much any "Klarlack" that says "kratz and stoßfest" on the can.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2021, 08:39:39 AM »
I straight up just sit on the ledge and rub brick and if anyone asks you what youre doing say youre cleaning the ledge. Lacquer is harder to pass off as just nothing but its also clear so chances of anyone doing anything about it are really low. Ive like had cops talk to me after the fact while im skating the ledges but never while im in the process of actually doing anything to the ledge. I also toss some wax over the lacquer to really give it that skatepark ledge feeling. Just showed a bunch of kids in my area this method and hopefully I wont be the only one doing it around here anymore

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2021, 09:21:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

These two are good.

https://www.hornbach.de/shop/Kunstharz-Klarlack-seidenmatt-750-ml/5244791/artikel.html
https://toom.de/p/klarlack-seidenmatt-transparent-400-ml/8200122

Pretty much any "Klarlack" that says "kratz and stoßfest" on the can.

danke dir!