Author Topic: Converse Cons' "Seize the Seconds" Video  (Read 9921 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: Converse Cons' "Seize the Seconds" Video
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2020, 01:25:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The direction and execution of the image is just a damn try hard supreme commercial.
[close]

dude this video is way more supreme-esque than the new vans video
[close]

agreed.

i'm still confused people are enjoying this more than that. they're both great, it just personally seems obvious that Alright, OK will likely be remembered more vividly in the scope of things. Louie even had that other CONS part that came out just 6 months prior.

on craft alone, the Vans video is so precise. but to each their own..
[close]

bro your eyes must be fucked or you must enjoy filler shit and plagarism, like the 4th time a dude flips a table in a skate video.

alright, ok has skating that's on par, but sucks in every other aspect compared to this video. i can tell you i will never watch alright, ok before skating, but i will watch this cons video lots of times in the immediate future.

everything about the vans vid to me was whatever, don't mean what you mean with precise. as someone who worked and run shops for years, the vans thing was like their typical filler promo shit that they have you play on the floor. like half footage, half lifstyle fashion shots. who gives a fuck about this? they could have cut alright ok down to ten minutes and still have all the tricks. it's one of the worse edited videos of the year.

and i have nothing against those two dudes, i like their part, gilbies part is awesome especially, but hunt fucked up imo. the editing is shit and even if berle is like a muse to him or fat bill, no one really cares about him that much to have his footage full of him being all rebelpretty. it's literally a shop commercial that supposed to run in a loop, not a skatevideo imo.
[close]

"my eyes must be fucked or i enjoy filler shit and plagiarism"
we can have different tastes and still have an honest discussion lol

not to discredit what you said, but my background is specifically in directing and editing.
i'm a big fan of Hunt's work and i think its characteristic of much of the quality you see across his career.
Chadourne is one of my favorites of the past decade, but even his work i feel is heavily influenced by Hunt's.

dude you're right, i think i kinda projected my disappointed with the vans vid on to you as a fan. i take the l for bein an asshole. sorry. i don't even know you, you're probably a solid dude.

i love greg hunts work in general, i was especially disappointed by the vans video because of that, it feels like he becomes more whatever and less good at what he's actually good at, like fat bill and ty evans, too, and even josh stewart, and more of a credit to a commercial. it just had no vibe or flow to me, and it took me two tries to watch the vans vid through. and as some others i watched the cons video right away after i was done. i don't know man. maybe i'm just sick of this typical vans style of skatevideo since propeller. the aesthetic is consistent, but to me it's just often too much orange county cool guy vibes.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2020, 03:31:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The direction and execution of the image is just a damn try hard supreme commercial.
[close]

dude this video is way more supreme-esque than the new vans video
[close]

agreed.

i'm still confused people are enjoying this more than that. they're both great, it just personally seems obvious that Alright, OK will likely be remembered more vividly in the scope of things. Louie even had that other CONS part that came out just 6 months prior.

on craft alone, the Vans video is so precise. but to each their own..
[close]

bro your eyes must be fucked or you must enjoy filler shit and plagarism, like the 4th time a dude flips a table in a skate video.

alright, ok has skating that's on par, but sucks in every other aspect compared to this video. i can tell you i will never watch alright, ok before skating, but i will watch this cons video lots of times in the immediate future.

everything about the vans vid to me was whatever, don't mean what you mean with precise. as someone who worked and run shops for years, the vans thing was like their typical filler promo shit that they have you play on the floor. like half footage, half lifstyle fashion shots. who gives a fuck about this? they could have cut alright ok down to ten minutes and still have all the tricks. it's one of the worse edited videos of the year.

and i have nothing against those two dudes, i like their part, gilbies part is awesome especially, but hunt fucked up imo. the editing is shit and even if berle is like a muse to him or fat bill, no one really cares about him that much to have his footage full of him being all rebelpretty. it's literally a shop commercial that supposed to run in a loop, not a skatevideo imo.
[close]

"my eyes must be fucked or i enjoy filler shit and plagiarism"
we can have different tastes and still have an honest discussion lol

not to discredit what you said, but my background is specifically in directing and editing.
i'm a big fan of Hunt's work and i think its characteristic of much of the quality you see across his career.
Chadourne is one of my favorites of the past decade, but even his work i feel is heavily influenced by Hunt's.

While Chadourne's work could be seen as heavily influenced by Hunt's, I doubt it's influenced at all by any of this sterile Vans stuff he's been serving up in recent years. Massive Hunt fan over here too but I'm not going to sit here and deny that his best work is behind him. I really hope it mainly has to do with Vans having a massive hand in how stuff turns out and not Hunt himself, it would make sense after all.

The way Chadourne put together clips from everyone on the team here was seamless. How he weaved the Raemers clip in was really quite touching and tasteful also, in my opinion anyway...

And to the people saying this video won't be remembered in 6 months compared to the Vans one... I don't think you understand the impact that Alexis' part will have on the future. That part is monumental and it didn't need an over-used, safe bet song to try and tell me that.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2020, 04:33:49 AM »
that was really sick. LL is sooo good.

supduude

• Rep: -2
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2020, 04:50:23 AM »
who is the guy in 5:49 trying that crazy 50.50??

Acky Jacky

« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2020, 06:00:00 AM »
Expand Quote

Was I the only one that thought this dude kinda looked like a drunk Koston?
[close]

That's because it is Koston.

Speaking of this trick though, the filmer blew it. They should instate a new rule at the Strobeck academy; no zooming in on manuals. I wanna see his upper body after he gets catapulted onto the top of the sombrero and holds the manual. Such an awesome trick.

Immediately before this clip, there are two clips, one of Louie trying to 5-0 a wavy curb and eating shit, then saying “5-0 will work”, then the next clip back smithing an electrical box in front of cops who enjoyed seeing the trick. I think there are a couple of other clips in this video where the audio references the next or previous clip. I didn’t rewatch the whole thing to find them yet, but I enjoy those moments quite a bit.

Baby on Board

• Rep: 33
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2020, 06:15:24 AM »
who is the guy in 5:49 trying that crazy 50.50??

Tom Remillard

Mongoloid

« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2020, 06:22:52 AM »
Alexis makes me wanna skate! That is all.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2020, 06:34:51 AM »
Bless up to Serge Trudnowski. Him mak an appearance. An ras Brad Cromer’s lone clip bun fyah. Respect.

That's the second Serge sighting on video this year! Glad he's getting out there.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2020, 06:40:33 AM »
^He's in the Traffic video, as well!

Superb work from everyone involved. Alexis charging through New York City was such a treat, and the Breeders song (that you'll notice hadn't been used before) is a perfect match. Was kind of hoping either Quasi or Cons would evoke imminent domain over all Jake Johnson footage so we'd eventually have it all in once place, but his tricks in here were fantastic, particularly the switch wallride switch backside out. The Ben Raemers dedication was very natural and touching. Louie Lopez is really just cementing his spot as one of the greats at this point. Feels like his style gets more laid back as his trick selection gets crazier... backside 5-0 frontside flip out line was sick.

A lot of people picked up on the significance of the Challenger monument, but Elissa and Alexis both skated the same amphitheater gap in Miami, as well: the former kickflipped it in Baker2G, the latter switch flipped it in this part.

And to the people saying this video won't be remembered in 6 months compared to the Vans one... I don't think you understand the impact that Alexis' part will have on the future. That part is monumental and it didn't need an over-used, safe bet song to try and tell me that.
Exaxctly. Beyond the (apt) comparisons to Vans' forced marketing fiasco of the past week, Alexis's part (and ultimately, this moment in skateboarding) transcends marketing pushes, brands, the SOTY race, all that stuff. It's a big deal. There's no doubt in my mind that we'll be rewatching and discussing this part, and the impact it had, for years to come, the same way we discuss Elissa Steamer or Marisa Dal Santo.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2020, 07:28:10 AM »
Alexis dropped the best female part ever. I don't think that remotely a stretch. You watch her power then 90% of the other sponsored women it's going from Black and White to HD TV. A totally different tier.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 135
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2020, 07:36:02 AM »
Woah, Alexis takes some heavy slams! That heelflip was fucked; looked like she landed uphill too.

I forget that Manderson is one of my favorite skaters until I see him pop up in videos like this. Seems like he hasn't slowed down at all.

Louie is obviously one of the goats. I love the new colorways of his shoe, but I'm not sure how supportive they are.

Good shit all around.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2020, 07:39:38 AM »
So does JkJhnsn really bring that bar to the spot that he sort of front heel flipped over? Are we in the end times?

slobplant

• Rep: -12
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2020, 07:56:37 AM »
So does JkJhnsn really bring that bar to the spot that he sort of front heel flipped over? Are we in the end times?
I live 30 minutes away from that spot and I can confirm, yes he brings the rail.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2020, 08:18:27 AM »
This spot?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2020, 08:40:22 AM »
chardourne is up there with Harris on filmers whose vids are great no matter the subjects in em (skaters)

« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 09:24:51 AM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #105 on: November 28, 2020, 08:58:29 AM »
JkJhnsn on his steve berra shit

froufroufox

• Rep: 31
« Reply #106 on: November 28, 2020, 09:00:14 AM »
Alexis dropped the best female part ever. I don't think that remotely a stretch. You watch her power then 90% of the other sponsored women it's going from Black and White to HD TV. A totally different tier.

Marisa definitely still holds that title. I do think this is best part since hers, though.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 667
« Reply #107 on: November 28, 2020, 09:26:31 AM »

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #108 on: November 28, 2020, 10:07:25 AM »
^He's in the Traffic video, as well!

Superb work from everyone involved. Alexis charging through New York City was such a treat, and the Breeders song (that you'll notice hadn't been used before) is a perfect match. Was kind of hoping either Quasi or Cons would evoke imminent domain over all Jake Johnson footage so we'd eventually have it all in once place, but his tricks in here were fantastic, particularly the switch wallride switch backside out. The Ben Raemers dedication was very natural and touching. Louie Lopez is really just cementing his spot as one of the greats at this point. Feels like his style gets more laid back as his trick selection gets crazier... backside 5-0 frontside flip out line was sick.

A lot of people picked up on the significance of the Challenger monument, but Elissa and Alexis both skated the same amphitheater gap in Miami, as well: the former kickflipped it in Baker2G, the latter switch flipped it in this part.

Expand Quote
[close]
Exaxctly. Beyond the (apt) comparisons to Vans' forced marketing fiasco of the past week, Alexis's part (and ultimately, this moment in skateboarding) transcends marketing pushes, brands, the SOTY race, all that stuff. It's a big deal. There's no doubt in my mind that we'll be rewatching and discussing this part, and the impact it had, for years to come, the same way we discuss Elissa Steamer or Marisa Dal Santo.

I agree. This is the best street part by a girl ever. Alexis has one of the best styles in skateboarding out of anyone male or female.

goldfishboot

• Rep: 146
« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2020, 12:30:42 PM »
incredible. so many of my favorite skaters doing incredible things. no more cute cops in skate videos though, c'mon. weird dissonance with the deliberate zoom onto cromer's huf blm shirt and minutes later louie fist bumping a police officer. what the fuck is that adding to this video?

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2020, 01:46:44 PM »
God damn, if that's true about JJ, that's got me a little bummed, haha. I mean, why would that railing be there?

Brguy

« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2020, 01:50:31 PM »
I think that's one of the best examples on what to do editing a video, I bet everyone there had more footage sitting around, but in the end what matters is that through the video every clip is memorable at some level.

The two parts + team montage formula seems to become more and more popular. Definetly well executed with this piece!
I think it's a great middle ground between releasing single thrasher parts or full lengths, you can give attention to whatever skaters have the full parts and still showcase the whole team, all in short enough time for this age's short attention span.

conqueso

« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2020, 01:57:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I live 30 minutes away from that spot and I can confirm, yes he brings the rail.

this is horrible news. I will never look at JJ the same :-[

TheFandangler

• Rep: 14
« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2020, 02:09:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Was I the only one that thought this dude kinda looked like a drunk Koston?
[close]

That's because it is Koston.
[close]

His signature annoying oooooh in the next clip confirms it.

Sick vid btw, great editing too. Louie and Alexis can do no wrong.

Holy shit it is him. I for sure thought it was some drunk dude chillin' at the spot with a bag of cheap beers. Which I guess it is. I stand corrected. That hat is hella ugly

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2020, 02:34:13 PM »
Why KA is of?

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2020, 02:37:33 PM »
I think that's one of the best examples on what to do editing a video, I bet everyone there had more footage sitting around, but in the end what matters is that through the video every clip is memorable at some level.

Expand Quote
The two parts + team montage formula seems to become more and more popular. Definetly well executed with this piece!
[close]
I think it's a great middle ground between releasing single thrasher parts or full lengths, you can give attention to whatever skaters have the full parts and still showcase the whole team, all in short enough time for this age's short attention span.
Yeah, following the Tim and Henry Pack of Lies formula for Online releases is a great formula.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2020, 02:38:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

don't care, still my boy
check my music

fried

• Rep: 52
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2020, 02:48:04 PM »
God damn, if that's true about JJ, that's got me a little bummed, haha. I mean, why would that railing be there?

IMO it’s the same as bringing a trash can or barrier to a good bump. This version just looks better.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2020, 03:34:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

this is horrible news. I will never look at JJ the same :-[

He used to rock a Ron Paul shirt, too...which...woof.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2020, 03:37:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

IMO it’s the same as bringing a trash can or barrier to a good bump. This version just looks better.

yeah totally not really though