Author Topic: Moving Out  (Read 1947 times)

Dead to Me

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 74
Moving Out
« on: November 28, 2020, 04:15:45 AM »
At what age did you you move out of your parent’s home and how was the experience? Any advice on things to take into consideration before moving out? Im 25 and already have over six months of rent saved. Im thinking of rooming with a friend for a bit since these renting prices in NY are pretty depressing

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Moving Out
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 05:24:57 AM »
My dad had an insane motorbike accident about a week before my 21st and spent just over a year in hospital.
His work tried to fuck him out of his pension so he kinda pushed me to get out and not waste my time in my current shitty job.
I booked a year in Australia, met some mates and my fiance and the rest is history.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 05:36:56 AM »
17-18.

Moved out into cheap punk houses. Had the time of my life. My advice is learn to be frugal even while your money is good. One day it might save you. Learn to be a respectful roomate too and be clear when communicating.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 05:40:34 AM »
17, kicked out with no savings but had a job. Couch surfed until I turned 18 and could sign a lease.

If you're hungry enough you'll be just fine.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 06:14:54 AM »
I moved out 3 times from 18-22. My mom was always ok with me coming back. At least she didn’t have to worry as much when I was there. Even had a girlfriend life there for a year. You seem like you’ve got a plan and a cushion, which is more than I ever had. You should be fine.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 06:30:49 AM »
First time was 24, but I really just slowly moved my shit into my girl's so it wasn't a plan. Second time was 26, then again at 29. Take your time, this ain't a contest.

Also if you live in NY soak up living at your parents as much as you can because I heard y'all's prices are unreal. My rent is $480 for a one bedroom, kitchen, dining room, living room, and a sun porch with a garage and I'm still mad I gotta pay that much. Couldn't imagine having to pay what y'all do.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 804
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 06:45:30 AM »
I was 23. It seems like it'll be impossible to keep up with expenses, but once you're in it, you'll find a way to stay afloat. Good luck!
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 804
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 06:49:13 AM »
17-18.

Moved out into cheap punk houses. Had the time of my life. My advice is learn to be frugal even while your money is good. One day it might save you. Learn to be a respectful roomate too and be clear when communicating.
Great advice. Living frugally during my first couple of years on my own helped a lot when I had to buy a new car and get a $5400 surgery within the same 12-month period.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 07:15:34 AM »
23.... Which felt old at the time....

My parents railroaded me into buying a condo.....

Living cheap while having fun is a great life skill....

Dead to Me

• Rep: 74
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 07:24:14 AM »
First time was 24, but I really just slowly moved my shit into my girl's so it wasn't a plan. Second time was 26, then again at 29. Take your time, this ain't a contest.

Also if you live in NY soak up living at your parents as much as you can because I heard y'all's prices are unreal. My rent is $480 for a one bedroom, kitchen, dining room, living room, and a sun porch with a garage and I'm still mad I gotta pay that much. Couldn't imagine having to pay what y'all do.
480$ with no roommates? That’s so low sounding to me, it’s barely believable. To rent something like that here in a decent neighborhood would be at least $1400 & up.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 135
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 07:45:57 AM »
I did the typical move out at 18 and go off to college, but with only $2k in savings lol. I worked my ass off while in school and managed to graduate without debt, but it wouldn't have been so hard if I planned better.

Like another poster said, try maintaining your normal standard of living even when you have more money coming in.
Life is soooo much better when you have a solid financial buffer.

Also, I moved out of NYC this year and all I can say is that the prices aren't really worth it right now. With COVID more than half the cool shit you can do in the city is closed.

mushroom slice

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 07:51:33 AM »
17. Started squatting. Kinda sucked but was also very awesome. Am old now but would do it all again. My advice: Enjoy your life.

Mesteezo

• Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 08:26:46 AM »
If you're going to move in with friends, be damn sure that you have strong friendships and can tolerate each other every day. Otherwise, you might not have friends by the end of your lease.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 08:40:24 AM »
Around 23.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2020, 09:30:07 AM »
Spent 18 to about 25 backpacking eveywhere and spending some winters in BC ski bumming, then I’d come back to my folks’ for a few months and leave again.

Around 25-26 my backpacking and ski bumming phases were over, I came back and stayed about 10 months to save as much money as possible so I could live on my own with no room mates and have been gone ever since. I’ve been in the same apartment for 6 years and rent isn’t too expensive.

Be careful about moving in with friends, I have very close friends (practically brothers) I’d never live with. Then again, I don’t like living with room mates altogether, unless it’s a girlfriend. After traveling a lot and living in shitty places with a bunch of people, I now value my personal space way too much.

The one piece of advice I’d give you is be careful when grocery shopping and don’t buy too much food at once unless you plan on making a bunch of meals in advance and freezing them (another good tip). You have no idea how much fresh food I lost and wasted in my first year because I’d just buy way too much stuff and I’d lose a lot of it. This adds up to a lot of money wasted in the end.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2020, 09:33:15 AM »
I left home to live with my aunt to get residency to pay in state tuition at 17. At 18, I moved into an apartment with two brothers. Living with them was the worst so I lived without roommates after that.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2020, 10:07:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
480$ with no roommates? That’s so low sounding to me, it’s barely believable. To rent something like that here in a decent neighborhood would be at least $1400 & up.
It's one of the lowest in town. If you wanna move to a podunk northwest Missouri town with nothing to do this is your spot. According to Slap Chet Childress moved here in the mid 2000s or so and left before the end of the month because it was so boring.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2020, 11:42:46 AM »
I think I was around 21 which felt late but I wanted to wait for the right occasion to move out of my small hometown if I was going to get my own place, otherwise spending half a grand a month on rent just to live basically a few blocks further down the street wouldn't have been worth it. My mother is the old-school type and had asked me to contribute to her rent as soon as I turned 18 (and also pocketed all the grants I was supposed to get from going to uni), so I worked a shitty ass factory job (that paid well) for maybe a year to save some money till things eventually lined up and I heard about a friend subletting his place for three months in a bigger city while he was going on a trip. As soon as I got there I just researched a flat on my own to rent and voilŕ. In the midst of that temporary situation, I got a live-in girlfriend super quick and she also moved in with me when I got the new flat which was both a good and bad thing in retrospect (I could have used more me-time to adapt), but probably allowed us to get the place more easily. Ironically, a few years back I ended up moving back to my hometown for a variety of reasons, one of them being the relative quietness and another being the proximity to Paris but with only half the rent, and I got lucky finding a really cool flat.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2020, 12:15:12 PM »
I started traveling at 21, prior to that I lived at my family home. My parents work and are responsible and all, but they get ripped most days/nights and the whole extended family culture is similar in that regard and excepting of staying with the family until you weren't. My dad and his brothers grew up in the house my parents own and they all lived there on and off until they got married. Before getting married they were all rambling sorts of dudes- lots of low-key crime, time, substance abuse, labor jobs, etc. So for the young men in my family- myself and cousins- it's no thing to stay at home for a while as long as you're bringing something in and not being a dick to your family. It's really mind-blowing how little judgement there is. And while that's cool in many ways, it creates a cycle of staying in the home town, which for me was no good- perpetuating generations of substance abuse and low key criminal lifestyle. It's hard to climb outta that if you don't even realize that's what it is.

After I started traveling, I'd go away and come back again with the family home being my base. I did that on and off, with some renting in between, until I was about 28. At 28 I went to the west coast full time, couch surfed, lived outside/in car. Now I've got a pretty
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2020, 12:46:41 PM »
I moved out when I was 20. I packed all my stuff in a U-Haul van, and had a map, and off I went. But I moved to a city that I had already lived in beforehand, just this time I was alone. And I knew no one in the city I moved back to because I'd lost contact with all my childhood friends.

The experience...was definitely difficult and disturbing. I got into fights, I lived in sketchy areas, I was very much alone. I was drinking a lot to cope. But it was also exhilarating and I was so artistically productive, and learned a lot about myself.

I understand the frustration with living in a smaller town or city where you feel like you know everyone and everyone knows you, and you want to habituate new places with new people and new experiences. That's natural, and one of the reasons why I moved out.

But in retrospect, I don't think it was the smartest move financially. And eventually finances will bite you in the ass if you're not prepared. I highly recommend maintaining and building your savings, investing your money in assets, review the job opportunities in where you're moving to, and just make sure that you're not going to be struggling. Your mental health will quickly decline if you struggle. Don't let your twenties be a period of financial stagnation like so many other people.

Also, the stigma of living with your parents when you're past a certain age should be abolished. Of course you want to be independent, it's natural. In hindsight I should've moved out for a few months instead of years, came back, moved out to a different place for a few months, and repeated it like that until I figured out which university I wanted to attend.

HombreezysShittyPasta

• Rep: -53
  • olive garden
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2020, 01:38:27 PM »
Moved out at 19 but i was working full time like it was the 1920s then. Save up way more money than you think you need i cant stress that enough. Dont move in with friends unless its lifelong friends youve lived with and even then prepare to hate them. Unless it works out then youre lucky. Imo its best to live with strangers and not talk to them at all unless its a hot chick. Do not date anyone at a rental youve just moved into. Live with as little material shit as possible. Learn how to cook basic stuff and dont get lazy because youll starve. Call home and say wassup. All the best homie

sketchyrider

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2020, 04:22:19 PM »
you guys have moved out??

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2020, 04:56:47 PM »
I came here to talk about Billy Joel’s Anthony’s Song (Movin’ Out). Here is Billy explaining how he put the song together.

I’m a big Joel head. However, if I had to choose one Billy Joel song I would have to say The Entertainer because in it he drops a reference to Piano Man, which is his best known song now but at the time was shortened for radio play and was not as big a hit as it should have been.

He sings, “It was a beautiful song (meaning Piano Man) but it ran too long, if you wanna have a hit you gotta make it fit, so they cut it down to 3:05.”

That is some intertextual bomb dropping the likes of which would not be seen for years to come until Wu Tang entered the scene.

What are some of ya’lls favorite Billy Joel songs?

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2020, 05:07:01 PM »
20.  I wish I could have stayed with my parents until I had graduated community college, but I would have ended up swallowing buckshot.  My small hometown in rural South Dakota was a lonely hell and I needed out.  I struggled financially for years, starting out with a high mileage beater car, and little savings.  I'm 28 now and finally have a bit of savings, money invested, and a modest vehicle that's getting close to being paid off.

I cook beans and rice w/ veggies 3-4 times a week, pack lunches to work everyday, and try to put a small amount of money away every month.  Putting $15 in your savings is better than putting $0 in your savings.

shitsandwich

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2020, 05:13:05 PM »
It seems that so many people have moved out so young. Most of my friends still live with their parents and they're about 26-28. I wonder if its a generational thing and that most of the people that are saying they moved out are now in their 30s?

I first moved out at 26 then came home for a couple months and now I found a place at 27.

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2020, 05:16:32 PM »
It seems that so many people have moved out so young. Most of my friends still live with their parents and they're about 26-28. I wonder if its a generational thing and that most of the people that are saying they moved out are now in their 30s?

I first moved out at 26 then came home for a couple months and now I found a place at 27.

I think it might be where you are located too.  I can't imagine moving out in SF,NYC,LA, etc at 21 without having established a good professional career first.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2020, 05:29:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think it might be where you are located too.  I can't imagine moving out in SF,NYC,LA, etc at 21 without having established a good professional career first.

It’s like applying that logic people use for kids. “If you wait until you’re ready to have kids, you’ll never have kids” replace the word “kids” with “move out”. When I got kicked out at 17 it was like “fuck I guess this is happening” except I didn’t have 9 months to prep.

You just have to dive in. And doggy paddle until you figure out how to swim. At this point I’ve been moved out for 17 years I’m practically back stroking through the lazy river.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2020, 05:38:58 PM »
Signed my first lease at 19 and turned 20 just a few weeks before moving. I was going to school about an hour away and tried commuting the first year but it was miserable. Largely because I really hate my hometown to this day.

You're 25 so you probably don't need anyone to explain budgeting/responsibilities/etc to you, but I do believe that you can't truly learn it until you're out doing it. Be conscious of your spending, be smart when you're grocery shopping, and be a good roommate by fulfilling your responsibilities and communicating effectively with your other roommates.

shitsandwich

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2020, 10:07:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It’s like applying that logic people use for kids. “If you wait until you’re ready to have kids, you’ll never have kids” replace the word “kids” with “move out”. When I got kicked out at 17 it was like “fuck I guess this is happening” except I didn’t have 9 months to prep.

You just have to dive in. And doggy paddle until you figure out how to swim. At this point I’ve been moved out for 17 years I’m practically back stroking through the lazy river.

I definitely can see this being true

Sagat

• Rep: -65
  • the spiciest slap poster. tiger uppercut!!
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2020, 10:53:13 PM »
19 moved out living paycheck to paycheck renting a room for 350 a month in Oceanside. Was a father by the time i was 20 supporting a family of three. If you are hungry enough you will get by.