Author Topic: Pro Skater = 40 hours a week?  (Read 2353 times)

sometimeperhaps

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
Pro Skater = 40 hours a week?
« on: November 28, 2020, 07:26:46 AM »
How many hours a week do you think a pro "works"? I know this is hard to actually calculate accurately as there's so many variables, definitions of "pros" and what can you classify as "work". Filming for videos, trips, etc. But I've heard mention over the years that "once the video was over, I chilled for a few months" and "we can only film on the weekends", so downtime sounds prevalent and accepted to some degree.

It seems like skaters have a surplus of free time, and use it to varying degrees of success. People like Alex Olson have started successful companies possibly setting himself up for like after a career, Neen cooking salmon incorrectly while wearing tights, or at the opposite manage to pile out and lose it all.

This free time got me thinking about what most of these dudes do once the dream is over, and they need to start living like the rest of us. Surely that extra free time could be put to good use to learn something, take classes, apprentice, etc. I know were talking primarily about highschool dropouts here, with various levels of brain function so I don't expect most to think to far ahead.

It seems like one of the few professions where you could be simultaneously successful and have two "full time jobs" at once, and possibly have one of those extend the career of the other.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 08:13:34 AM by sometimeperhaps »

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
Re: Pro Skater = 40 hours a week?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 07:33:41 AM »
however many hours a skater puts in i reckon a filmer puts in 4 times more.

obviosuly you cant expect someone who skates for a living to be clokcing in and out like a regular job but it seems alot of dudes take the piss.

i like seeing skaters with a side interst, willow with his recycled skateboard projects, westgates cranberry farm.. those dudes have it sussed! skateboarding beng your only interest in life must get hella boring when time starts taking its toll and your in your late 30s with fucked knees and no prospects other than being a background guy working for the compaines that used to sponsor them

HombreezysShittyPasta

• Rep: -53
  • olive garden
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 07:45:11 AM »
I dont like the jobless ones as much thats for sure

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 08:51:09 AM »
The 1920s ones work the hardest
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Brguy

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 09:03:59 AM »
They might "work" for a smaller time, but they're probably skating a lot for fun and to keep doing it at their level, specially if they care if the footage they put out is good.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 09:32:19 AM »
I think it is probably more than you would think. You have to go on trips, which kind of means you „work“ all day. Some of them need to travel to contests a lot. There are also certain deadlines they need to meet and doing social media is also expected. When you get older or when you need to be in shape for a serious contest you probably need to do some type of exercise a few times per week. Also you need to give an interview here and there and you need to attend industry events. You might have to contribute to your pro model or something. When you get hurt you need to put in a lot of work to get back on your board as quickly as possible.

I imagine it to be kind of weird in that is either feels like you do not work at all or it feels like you work all day every day.

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 11:10:21 AM »

I imagine it to be kind of weird in that is either feels like you do not work at all or it feels like you work all day every day.

That’s an interesting thought. I’m sure there’s guys that had to think hard about bailing on school and dudes who sucked at all that who just jumped. That would make for a really different attitude about how you approach your “responsibilities” as a pro. If you weren’t gonna be shit without skating you’d probably think you’re get paid to have fun. If you were planning to go to college you’d probably be more serious, and more stressed, about milking everything you could out of your good skate years, and maybe laying the groundwork for what you want to be when the wheels fall off. Cranberry farms versus “I love pussy” tattooed on your tongue, or a million less distant points in between.

Or not. What do I know?

HombreezysShittyPasta

• Rep: -53
  • olive garden
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 01:21:15 PM »
I mean a cranberry farm is a rare occurance of having to dip from pro skating for family responsibilities. But for the unfortunate normie pro without cranberry farms i take into account periods of inactivity vs how heavy the last part was vs how much they are working towards the next part vs if other industry responsibilities etc. Playing music or being into fashion or some shit is their own thing i dont like them trying to use it to pad an image as something grandiose

quesly

• Rep: 14
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 01:55:39 PM »
I would think it's a lot like a freelance artist where you get as much as you put into it. I'm sure the dudes who put in 40 hours get paid like they put in 40 hours and the guys that smoke weed all week and get a clip on the weekend get paid a lot less. This is also dependent on what sponsors they're on etc.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 02:46:08 PM »
I'm putting in Gino's hours myself

Brguy

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 03:10:59 PM »
I would think it's a lot like a freelance artist where you get as much as you put into it. I'm sure the dudes who put in 40 hours get paid like they put in 40 hours and the guys that smoke weed all week and get a clip on the weekend get paid a lot less. This is also dependent on what sponsors they're on etc.
And how productive you can be on weed.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 04:12:14 PM »
They’re technically salaried for 80 hours every 2 weeks, with (14) vacation days and (14) sick days, plus major holidays.

If they skate over 80 hours in two weeks, they need to submit timecards to their TM’s, who then need approval from brand managers to skate overtime. Any skateboarding outside of the 80 hours is considered reckless as they’re not covered for injuries that happen outside of clocked hours.

Every 6 months, they’re given an extra (2) hours of paid time off, per paycheck. If they get at least (3) photos and film at least (120) seconds of edited/published footage, they’re eligible for a holiday bonus. Bonus can be anywhere from 1%-7% of their annual pay, however, typically falls in the 3-5% area.

I have it on good authority that professional skateboard unions will provide more worker’s rights. Lots of TM’s are lobbying against the unions and are actively trying to discredit their worthiness. However, if skateboarders can unionize, this will make requests for overtime and additional unpaid time off much easier.

What I’m really trying to say is fuck you
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 04:44:03 PM by fakie nollie »

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -75
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 04:49:34 PM »
if the session goes over six hours, please punch out for at least a 31 minute rollup/beers

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 08:41:05 PM »
How many hours a week do you think a pro "works"? I know this is hard to actually calculate accurately as there's so many variables, definitions of "pros" and what can you classify as "work". Filming for videos, trips, etc. But I've heard mention over the years that "once the video was over, I chilled for a few months" and "we can only film on the weekends", so downtime sounds prevalent and accepted to some degree.

It seems like skaters have a surplus of free time, and use it to varying degrees of success. People like Alex Olson have started successful companies possibly setting himself up for like after a career, Neen cooking salmon incorrectly while wearing tights, or at the opposite manage to pile out and lose it all.

This free time got me thinking about what most of these dudes do once the dream is over, and they need to start living like the rest of us. Surely that extra free time could be put to good use to learn something, take classes, apprentice, etc. I know were talking primarily about highschool dropouts here, with various levels of brain function so I don't expect most to think to far ahead.

It seems like one of the few professions where you could be simultaneously successful and have two "full time jobs" at once, and possibly have one of those extend the career of the other.
The overwhelming majority of people have a very meaningless work life. They only do it because they have to for money and/or social status. Even those that have a high education. Skating for a living is immensely more fulfilling than being a lawyer or a doctor.

Skating for a living for even a few years is a true priviledge, I respect anyone who can pull it off. Also, skatebarding as an art is one of the best possible ways to fill one's life with.