« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 03:31:44 PM by thomgraham4 »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Dealing with pressure and standards that are too high for myself
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 07:06:01 AM »
I've noticed recently I find it very hard to commit to doing tricks because I have big expectations of myself, and I set huge standards for myself I put so much pressure on myself to land the trick (like I tell myself that if I don't land it I'm not good enough etc.) And all this pressure gives me so much performance anxiety and stage fright that my brain doesn't even let me commit to it in fear that if I put in 100% effort that I will still not land the trick. I also find that skating with my friends doesn't help, as if my friend does a trick I feel like it's a standard that I have to meet, and if I can't do the trick that I'm not good enough. I also feel that when I do land tricks, they still aren't good enough even if they are great. Has anyone had any experiences with this? Does anyone know any ways to help? I'm 16 years old by the way

1.  All skating is is just playing with a toy.  There is no greater purpose or meaning to any of it.  Maybe be appreciative that you have all of your needs met to such a degree that you have the luxury to take playing with a toy way too seriously.

2.  For me skating has always been failing miserably 99% of the time.  The success rate is so low that I think most sane people wouldn’t subject themselves to it.  But the rare instances of stomping a trick I’ve worked really hard for (as unimpressive as it might be) more than makes up for it.

3.  There’s always going to be people that are better than you.  Better just get used to it. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Sila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 11:55:38 PM »
When this happens I think you always have to regroup and remind yourself why you skate. Concentrate on what feels good and fun. But you're pretty young. When I was 16 I felt the same. All your friends are learning tricks left right and centre and it can be overwhelming if you feel like you can't keep up. Just enjoy being with your buds and appreciate the freedom that skateboarding opens up for you.

not_skatersalt

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 08:42:37 PM »
as above /// so below

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 08:32:47 AM »
Sorry this is messing with your enjoyment. I just want you to have fun. Skateboarding shouldn't feel like a chore you need to do.

Whenever I get anxious about skating, I take it back to the basics. Just ride and feel the sensation of the board under your feet. Do simple grinds and slides and enjoy the tactile vibrations on your feet through your shoes.

The stuff that comes easy today will be difficult years from now. Push yourself, but don't knock yourself down.