Author Topic: How to bone out ollies  (Read 1715 times)

Freger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -8
  • Can I borrow your tool?
How to bone out ollies
« on: November 29, 2020, 08:37:13 PM »
Sorry to make a new thread but i really dont know where to start for this. My ollies are like 5-10 degrees rocket and I want a good looking ollie. I have "good" pop and can get on to high ledges every time, but cant get that beautiful boned out backfoot tuck ever.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: How to bone out ollies
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 09:22:12 PM »
Suck your knees up to your nipples. 

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 09:58:10 PM »
Sorry to make a new thread but i really dont know where to start for this. My ollies are like 5-10 degrees rocket and I want a good looking ollie. I have "good" pop and can get on to high ledges every time, but cant get that beautiful boned out backfoot tuck ever.

The way I helped people get them up and boned and also to do melon grabs (which is the same body position) while working at the indoor park was to get them to do the normal ollie but then try to get the nose to touch down first.  Not land on the nose, but just do a small ollie and have your front trucks or nose touch the ground before your back trucks.  It might seem weird but by pushing more on the front foot, it will actually bring your back foot up a bit more and then you can get the motion more in the air, (and land correctly four wheels down together) and then take it to whatever you want.

Once the skaters got the hang of it, they were all getting better ollies and could bone it right out, one in particular took it to everything including ollie nose bash to fakie on the mini ramp too.  It is just about getting the right body position and by pushing your front foot out a bit and lifting your back leg at the same time, the board will come up to where you want it quite easily.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 10:06:10 PM »
There was this thread too, but didn't really have a whole lot in it.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=92686.0

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 11:10:22 PM »
There was this thread too, but didn't really have a whole lot in it.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=92686.0

Pretending I am Ryu doing flying kicks in SFII.

(best photo I could find)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
  • dog stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 01:19:01 AM »
ollie north with fresh grip

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 02:49:28 AM »
Those always came naturally switch to me, and so does it seem to for a lot of people, I think it's because on those the movement is so similar to regular ollies when you're in the air it's generally more instinctive to form. I kind of forever had the same problem as you which is decent ollie height with a nosedive yet bad form on the feet, then eventually learning crooked bonks and doing more nosebonks on and over tall-ish stuff (for me) somehow had the side effect of helping me get the timing and motion right, and now it's not uncommon that if I'm going to do a high ollie I'm going to think of it as a nosebonk that's going over and past the obstacle (if there even is an obstacle outside my imagination) as opposed to, well, bonking it. Not sure that will help but doing those tricks a lot might do the same for you. I still have pretty shitty form on regular ollies to be honest (compared to how I'd like them to look), but it's a lot better than it used to be.