Author Topic: How to make skatepark ground smoother?  (Read 1645 times)

OldCandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
How to make skatepark ground smoother?
« on: July 27, 2021, 09:53:43 PM »
it used to be a nice smooth concrete, apparently, the winter and summer expansion fucked up the concrete, there's no chunks or anything it just looks like the ground was ran through a cheese grater

my friends a landscaper and I'm wondering which product I should use to make the ground smooth again
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
Re: How to make skatepark ground smoother?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 02:57:14 AM »
it used to be a nice smooth concrete, apparently, the winter and summer expansion fucked up the concrete, there's no chunks or anything it just looks like the ground was ran through a cheese grater

my friends a landscaper and I'm wondering which product I should use to make the ground smooth again

Some diy spot builders use paint to make the ground better. I imagine you need a very thick paint or lacquer to really improve it for an extended period of time. I would try acrylic based paint or even resin based lacquer. The only problem is that stuff is pretty expensive. There are also ways of sanding it down, but you need proper machinery for that. No clue where you can get those.

I am currently trying to get the city to pay for the improvement of the ground at a local skatepark. The ground is rough asphalt. I found a company, which offers „skatepark ground improvement“. I can send you all the info on that if you like. I live in Germany so I‘m not shure it will help you, though.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 08:06:24 AM »
I know they make super thin, self leveling concrete for refinishing. Never used it though.

Greenholtb

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 11:42:01 PM »
Who knows their concrete around here? I've been asked to write to my local council to suggest improvements to a local skatepark. One of my suggestions is replacing the horrible tarmac that has cracked over the years with concrete found in proper skateparks. My question is: What is the type of concrete used in skateparks? I don't want to suggest something that simply won't work well.

MyCCPay Log In
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 11:18:04 PM by Greenholtb »

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 10:30:52 AM »
If it's concrete and we're talking about flat then grind it with a walk behind concrete floor grinder and seal it. Apply sealer in September every year.

We applied some concrete resurfacer (basically cement paint) 10 years ago and it's held up pretty good on a sidewalk that gets hardly any traffic or wether.

Or large scale sack and patch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzHlwKCx1Qg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZEO9kNzBro

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 10:31:00 AM »

Dreamland buffed out  the older rougher section of Lincoln City a few years back (Oregon coastal concrete takes a hammering with the weather). It was a definite improvement but it will never be as buttery as a new park.

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 10:43:59 AM »
Who knows their concrete around here? I've been asked to write to my local council to suggest improvements to a local skatepark. One of my suggestions is replacing the horrible tarmac that has cracked over the years with concrete found in proper skateparks. My question is: What is the type of concrete used in skateparks? I don't want to suggest something that simply won't work well.

I like 5000psi but most parks built now I believe aim for 9000 to 10,000.

I am not a professional so I would ask an engineer or contractor involved with building parks

or DM Kanten Russell like a man

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 959
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 04:36:51 AM »

Dreamland buffed out  the older rougher section of Lincoln City a few years back (Oregon coastal concrete takes a hammering with the weather). It was a definite improvement but it will never be as buttery as a new park.

I had seen a lot of skateparks get grinded back, but only on the flat sections with the big grinders.  That hand grinder would give the operator such a beating and be so time consuming to do large areas.

Usually the flat gets grinded back and the walls get an extra couple of coats of finish and that is about it, but they still come up way better than what they were, especially when they are 20+ years old or in high rain / wear areas.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.