Author Topic: How bad are you on your 'bad days' ?  (Read 5649 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Re: How bad are you on your 'bad days' ?
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2021, 05:13:03 AM »
Usually not too horrible unless I'm really off. Sometimes getting out to skate is nice because I forget about everything else and can just not think about things stressing me out. But if there's something that I really can't get off my mind then I'll have a bad skate day because my focus is off. Or if I'm sick, tired, etc... something like that then obviously going to skate is going to be shit.

In a more general sense, I feel like I'll have days that are better for flip tricks or better for grinds/slides. So there might be a day where I keep getting into front noses trying to front krook or missing the front truck on 50/50's but flip tricks are feeling good. Or vice versa - grinds are feeling solid but flipping the board just isn't working out.

I also tend to do what others have said in this thread where I work my way up. There's a little bump at my park and I usually start off the session by doing all the ollies on it and some 50/50's on the ledge before anything else.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2021, 10:04:34 AM »
Like I never stood on a board before.
At the moment, most of my sessions become a battle with my local ledge. It's not like I'm not able to ollie up that fucker but something is totally wrong with my pop.
I have to focus so hard on my ollie that I mess up my grinds.
It's like I forgot how to ollie higher than one and a half decks. Super frustrating.
Gonna quit trying any other stuff and just focus on getting my ollies back.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

phlap

• Rep: 8
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2021, 11:21:18 AM »
On my off days, I just feel weak. Any "high-effort" flip like a 360 Flip or Varial Heel will just take far to much effort to pop.
-Summer of George-

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2021, 12:24:15 PM »
When my skating is "off" ollieing up anything higher than a curb is weirdly impossible and the harder I try the harder it gets.

It'll take me like 20 tries to land a kickflip.

I think it stems from not learning how to properly channel frustration/fear in skating as a young guy and overthinking tricks rather than realizing letting go and relaxing is the best way to learn a trick.

Shuvits, manuals, slappies, pushing around and doing basic lip tricks on smaller transition at the park, etc are all fine. Anything beyond that goes from a molehill to an oddly tall and steep mountain if I'm not feeling it.

And I can generally tell by the first five minutes of rolling around if it's gonna be a good day or bad day.

Frustrating, but I've been skating long enough that I know it's like the tides, and I've learned to appreciate even the worst days of skating.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 980
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2021, 12:37:23 PM »
^^ same.

I've flipped it so I don't have bad days anymore. If I'm sucking at what I can do, I switch it up and focus on shit I can't do/do well or new shit; this way if I'm bailing, at least I can chalk it up to progression.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2021, 05:45:36 PM »
the other day at the park i forgot that sometimes you have to pop off of just your back foot. I got very angry ultimately for no reason
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2021, 07:32:10 PM »
^^ same.

I've flipped it so I don't have bad days anymore. If I'm sucking at what I can do, I switch it up and focus on shit I can't do/do well or new shit; this way if I'm bailing, at least I can chalk it up to progression.
That's smart! I've tried to do that, but I end up falling into this weird trap of losing what should be fundamentals for someone who's skated as long as we have because I go too far down the wormhole of learning "off-base" stuff.

There was a summer I could fakie 5-0 pop out pretty consistently on ledges but could barely backside 50-50 because I just never practiced those. I got too caught up in the excitement of learning fakie 5-0 pop outs, if that makes sense.

Part of what I love about a hobby like skating is how much your mind factors into your skating, whether we realize it or not.

somefucker

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2021, 11:44:22 AM »
Like i'm on a stage for the whole park/spot to look at. All of my tricks are under a microscope and everyone is silently judging me. Especially when I get there and the homies are already warmed up/bangin' out tricks. I just wanna get in the mix and wind up trying shit without warming up and get discouraged and skate something else/leave. Some of the days I don't flip my board wind up being my best days.

GGK42069

• Rep: 4
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2021, 10:30:07 PM »
on a bad day i just cant get off the ground, if i can get a kickflip going it wont be higher than the bottom of my shins, forget about tre flips or grinding anything taller than a curb. on a good day i can get some decent height on most of my tricks, but bad ones just seem to weigh me down
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 05:51:10 AM by GGK42069 »

fup234

• Rep: 0
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2021, 10:48:08 AM »
Reading that you all have that kind of bad days too is kind of comforting. So I'm not the only one who fucks up simple ollies.
My problem is that I adopted a wrong posture (tilting my right hip forward) a long time ago. This really fucks up my core, thus my balance, and ultimately my ability to skate.
I've been doing physical therapy for quite some time now and been getting much better, but after work or when I had a long session on a previous day, my core muscles get weak and I slump back into the wrong posture.
Then I really feel like shit and mostly just extremely insecure. I know that I have the ability to ollie up the curb, but I just can't, because I feel I can't control my body.
Usually I stick to very basic stuff then (all kinds of 180s, basic lip tricks on quarters and goofing around) and have fun anyway, but when I've had a couple of bad days in a row, it bums me out, because there's no progression.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2021, 04:08:56 PM »
My switch game goes to shit. Start overthinking everything. My manuals start to scrape. I can’t land bs 360s. I can’t even get close to bs tail. I get this dull fatigued feeling in legs that’s normal during a warmup but I just can’t shake it the entire session, no matter how hard I go. Those are all the symptoms a bad session for me