Author Topic: How bad are you on your 'bad days' ?  (Read 5583 times)

Sila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • Jamu Gost
How bad are you on your 'bad days' ?
« on: November 30, 2020, 07:56:27 AM »
Tonight I had one of those sessions where it felt like I was being mocked by the world for even wanting to step foot on a board. Damn. Even on the way to spot I got semi pitched by cracks and pebbles, which was probably a good sign to go home. Could barely land a backside 180. Botched shuvs got slammed right into my shins. Not a flip trick in sight. I've never been super consistent no matter how much I skate but this session was a new low.

Share your experiences pals

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
Re: How bad are you on your 'bad days' ?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 09:28:07 AM »
For me a bad day is usually signified by flip tricks just not working for me, can still knock out the basic shuv and 180 catalogue on even my sketchiest days, but if i'm not at my best it's always the flips that suffer first...usually i'll have a bad heels day so switch to kickflips, or vice versa, or suck at regular stuff so work on fakie instead.

I'm surprised generally by my consistency now at 35 compared to when I was a teen, bit better body awareness these days I suppose. the flip side to that is i'm much more fragile, missed a heelflip catch with my back foot last week and did the mini splits, i've really done a number on my thigh/groin muscles.

So yeah, bad day is usually flip tricks just not playing, or getting pitched on my ass on basic tricks multiple times... I can also usually tell a bad flip day and that I'm too tired if I primo my flips multiple times in the same session...went through a little phase of that in the summer and messed my back and neck up quite a bit from whipping to the floor.

My outlook these days is that first try is a bonus, but third try is OK. Generally it doesn't have to be a bad day for everything so if a trick I usually have is really obviously just not working I park it and work on other stuff instead.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 09:51:05 AM »
When I miss my nollie shit. I mean tbh not a ton there but it is where I'm the most comfortable, do if I miss my nollie shuv, it's a wrap for me. I used to have tantrums or meltdown s about it but now if it ain't working. I just cruise around and powerslide a shitload, no ollie mannys, and basic shit bc it's supposed to be fun.
Whoa. Danger.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 11:58:14 AM »
I cope with mine by having a good day trick bag and a bad day trick bag at hand at all times and going with wearing the appropriate one. Really though, I don't have a lot of bad skate days because from experience I can just feel it's going to be one before I even step on the board that day, so in this case I just don't, usually work or fuck off doing other things, and save my energy for a day when I'll actually be in shape (usually the next). If you just listen to your body before you go skate, it usually tells you what the general mood of the session is going to be. When you think you'll be shit and end up doing good because the vibe at the spot lends itself to it though, that's always kind of cool. Better than showing up for a 'good day' at a park that turns out to be crowded with 30 scooter kids as early as noon.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 533
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 12:05:08 PM »
I suck. So my good days usually look like my bad days and vice versa.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 03:34:54 PM »
I cope with mine by having a good day trick bag and a bad day trick bag at hand at all times and going with wearing the appropriate one. Really though, I don't have a lot of bad skate days because from experience I can just feel it's going to be one before I even step on the board that day, so in this case I just don't, usually work or fuck off doing other things, and save my energy for a day when I'll actually be in shape (usually the next). If you just listen to your body before you go skate, it usually tells you what the general mood of the session is going to be. When you think you'll be shit and end up doing good because the vibe at the spot lends itself to it though, that's always kind of cool. Better than showing up for a 'good day' at a park that turns out to be crowded with 30 scooter kids as early as noon.

no kidding, ive ignored that feeling before and ended up fucking up on ollies, getting pissed off and sitting down

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 07:05:52 PM »
My worst day was 1/4/01. It was like 4 degrees Fahrenheit but I wanted to skate real bad. Had on some baggy jeans, Shorty's hoodie and a Flip board. Warming up at my 4 stair spot - casual ollie and got pitched at the bottom. Scuffed up the S on my S-horty--S hoodie and was pissed. I was dumbfounded and so I searched for the pebble that hot me but none was to be found. I decided this spot was jinxed for the day and drove to my low-ledge-down-3-stair-spot. I suck at naming spots. Anyway I promptly got out of the car and went for a kickflip - back foot landed half on, half off. Foot was a wobbly mess. Car was a stick nut i couldn't push the clutch in good so I cruised in 2nd gear and ran every stop sign home (it was 2 am). Torn tendons and ligaments- crutches for 2 or 3 months. I go down in flames on my bad days

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 532
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 07:26:13 PM »
Mine sound a lot like yours... you know when every damn ass rock between you and the spot is conspiring against you, it might be time to move on with your day.

Bout two weeks ago I set out on a blustery Saturday morning to do a line at my favorite ledge spot. I wanted to do a half cab flip (one of my favorites when I'm on) to start the line, but was trying them going into the frigid breeze. For almost two hours I tossed nonstop attempts to the wind, literally. The spot is next to my local post office and more than a few passers-by on their way to ship packages saw my board flopping around and heard me muttering to myself, no doubt looking like a crazy bastard. I feel like when I stop caring about talking to myself in public, I'm struggling.

Having a go-to fun trick bag is a good move. A few 180 no complys or wallride nollie-outs and I can usually get out of my funk and enjoy myself. Sometimes they can even turn things totally around.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 07:39:41 PM »
Been skating really bad recently, wheel bite on shuv its, not bringing my board up to the ledge on BS Crooks/nose slides and eating shit and just being too tight or weak to do anything but a 50-50 on a ledge. I got pretty sore from a really mellow session yesterday, basically just slappy crooks on a curb and 50-50's on some benches for 2 hours.

I contribute this 100% to:
1. Gaining 50lbs in 9 months
2. Not skating enough
3. Not stretching
4. Lost strength, not exercising at all.

At the beginning of the year I was hitting the gym, exercising eating well, skating felt good didn't get sore really unless it was a full day street skating. Idk why I let myself turn into such a pile, but getting back into the healthy life style and going to feel good on and off my board again.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 04:48:46 AM »
If I’m having one of those days (and let’s be honest, even my good days aren’t great), I just work on my style and/ or powerslide stuff. Just haul arse and do big long manuals and slide variations. That’s what’s great about getting old I guess, just be stoked to be out there rolling

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Teddy2Belts

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 11:02:37 AM »
I feel like when I stop caring about talking to myself in public, I'm struggling.

This is totally the sign for me.

Or when no one's around and I start telling myself aloud to stop talking to myself. Full-on arguments with myself never lead to anything good.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 11:09:03 AM »
Today was one for sure, and it is always ghost pop, non-stop.

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 07:10:41 AM »
I've tried to reply to this a dozen times and realized that I don't have bad days anymore. I've definitely had bad days - no motivation, get hurt, no pop, the normal stuff that gets people bummed - but after 35 years I can read myself pretty well and know when to stay in, get after it, or just keep it mellow.

I'm 45 and still love skating. To me that is a good day every day.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 11:19:01 AM »
Any day skating is a good day, but some days my body doesn't cooperate as much. Those days I don't bother with flip tricks and just 5050 the ledge and manny the pad.

Glurmpz

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 04:57:50 PM »

Damn, I had the same thing yesterday. Could not get my tail to hit the ground on half cab flips, even though I landed a bunch that were otherwise ok. Drove me nuts. Where does ghost pop come from? I had a brand new board, so it wasn't some soggy old piece of junk. Tail isn't particularly short. Annoying little mystery.

Brguy

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 09:29:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn, I had the same thing yesterday. Could not get my tail to hit the ground on half cab flips, even though I landed a bunch that were otherwise ok. Drove me nuts. Where does ghost pop come from? I had a brand new board, so it wasn't some soggy old piece of junk. Tail isn't particularly short. Annoying little mystery.
Trying too much to skate like Antwuan. Some people are simply made to hurt their boards, delicacy doesn't always work.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 06:48:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Complete mystery. For me, it almost always happens on really easy tricks that should require zero effort. It adds a special feeling of humiliation to the session that, were I not on the receiving end, would seem almost comical.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 01:45:10 PM »
On bad days i get scared to skate through traffic
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Glurmpz

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 02:21:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Complete mystery. For me, it almost always happens on really easy tricks that should require zero effort. It adds a special feeling of humiliation to the session that, were I not on the receiving end, would seem almost comical.

Personally, I think I just need to skate flat more - been lagging on it this year. Mostly stuck with underground sessions now that it's winter, should give me lots of time to work on sucking less.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 11:40:48 PM »
5 switch heels took me half an hour last night.....that's pretty average....a bad day would be the same but I'd be limping afterwards....

I gotta say one of the best parts of being poor to middlin is that variance between a good day...and a bad day.....isn't that much....

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1878
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2020, 12:38:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Personally, I think I just need to skate flat more - been lagging on it this year. Mostly stuck with underground sessions now that it's winter, should give me lots of time to work on sucking less.

My flatground game has gone to shit since the weather got better, finally had 360 flips, BS big spin and BS kickflips somewhat consistent. But the ledges at the park are too appealing to give it a miss.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2020, 06:54:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

My flatground game has gone to shit since the weather got better, finally had 360 flips, BS big spin and BS kickflips somewhat consistent. But the ledges at the park are too appealing to give it a miss.

I definitely went all in on slappies this year and my flat ground game has for sure suffered (I say that like it ever existed).

Glurmpz

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2020, 03:27:02 PM »
Well today I lucked out and got a flip to slide trick in a reasonable amount of time that I haven't done in years, so I'm happier now. Hopefully that broke me out of the bad day funk.

Dudecahedron

• Rep: 2
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2020, 02:47:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Almost always related to timing and/or balance. If you airball hitting the tail on a trick you landed you know your flick is strong, at least, but you are doing slightly it too soon. Choking up on the tail (putting your foot closer to the fulcrum) gives a quicker pop because it’s less distance travelled to the ground. The trade off is reduced leverage so you have to generate more of your own power for pop. Literally the same physics/idea as choking up on a bat, come to think of it. I do this on a lot of fakie and nollie tricks, especially on steep banks, cuz it’s so much harder to  control the trick.

Kookology666

• Rep: -1
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2020, 03:17:07 PM »
On my bad days at my local park I take something like 5-10 tries to do tricks I usually do for warmup even after trying. Usually it's when I'm too hyped to skate in a way, and once I bail the first try it kind of gets to my head and then it's a weird time trying to 'get back' to how I normally skate. I can still usually land tricks but without pop and rocket as hell (especially backside flips on the small hip) I always don't pop and land back on it holding on for dear life. I landed primo on a pop shuv it once on the same hip and slammed super hard on a bad way which was hilarious. For me it just feels I guess like my board is just not having it and doesn't want to do as it's told.

Usually when that happens I take a breather, get something nice to drink and just chill at the side for a while and try to skate a bit. More often than not I skate a little better after the break but sometimes I'm just crap the whole day and just take it as 'one of those days' that all skaters experience. But some people at the park never seem to have a bad day, it's ridiculous and makes me a bit jealous haha.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 969
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2020, 04:43:34 PM »
I'm 42 and I got like half my bag still. Everyday I get to roll in a gift.

I should be frickin dead by now
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Alex

• Rep: 1
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2020, 09:02:01 AM »
Bad days are the practice and good days are the payoff. If it takes me 20 tries to land everything on a bad day, that's a lot more muscle memory training than the days when I land everything first try and move on. At least that's what I tell myself when I'm struggling with the basics

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2020, 10:51:47 PM »
I always try and have some easy tricks on hand.....or something a bit different to take the edge off those shit days....

That's the sick thing about skating to me...there's always something on the table...you just have to find it.  Despite not having what you used to have....it gives you tons of opportunity to do something new. 

I've never fakie shuv'd up a curb....right there....just did it.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2020, 01:05:10 AM »
Pretty bad yesterday... spent 20 minutes sweeping up the spot on the first dry day in two weeks.

Decided to session cab 1s to warm up, third one in and I rolled my ankle (same one I did pretty badly about 4 months back).

Never in a million years would I have expected to injure myself doing that trick!

That's two ankle rolls on this deck...time to retire it? Cursed maybe!

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2020, 03:23:39 AM »
Eversince I stopped drinking about a year ago I never really experienced a "Bad Day" like I used to.
I used to go skate on the weekends completely hungover and slammed on the easiest maneuvers and most of the times I had to sweat out all the bad stuff from the night before to get my abilities back.
Now I have to warm up for about 5-10 minutes and I am all set.